Lana Wachowski: I used to think there was something ‘wrong’ with me

1. samantha_andrina 24 Oct 2012, 5:45pm

as a trans woman myself I would like to thank lana for putting herself out there and being a role model for other trans people.

also, I love her pink dreads ;)

1. anna-jayne 24 Oct 2012, 9:05pm

I couldn’t have put it better myself. :)

2. Christina Niewiadowski 24 Oct 2012, 10:06pm

Ditto

2. OrtharRrith 24 Oct 2012, 7:07pm

Its good that the wider world are hearing trans people about what life can be like for us as we learn to understand ourselves. Maybe then they’ll come to accept us better.

3. AtheistWithMorals.com 24 Oct 2012, 7:23pm

I am transgender and bisexual albeit I have not begun transition.

I have successfully fit transgender into a sexuality framework and thus a sexuality curve.

Now if only all NHS doctors would accept my explanation and methodology, isolation and rampant homo/transphobia would not persist.

1. Your explanation and methodology don’t make much sense. Gender and sexual orientation don’t have much to do with one another, so putting them together like that just contributes to the misconception that trans people are just super gay or something. And your description of non-binary people is not very accurate. And you ignore the complexities of sexuality. There is no room for asexual or skoliosexual people in your model.

Conflating homophobia, biphobia and transphobia is also wrong. We have these different terms for a reason, not least of which is that it is perfectly possible for members of various gender and sexual orientation minorities to be bigoted against each other. It is common for gay people to be biphobic, for example.

1. AtheistWithMorals.com 24 Oct 2012, 9:25pm

Yes I agree with you on the latter point, bigots exist in all groups including gays disliking transgendered individuals and indeed you are correct about asexual individuals. I’m not agreeing with you on the non-binary remark, nothing is binary given the variance within nature. To suggest otherwise would be like saying a decimal point is useless when in fact it is not. I have to be very careful of course because I’m attempting to blueprint such concepts. Aside from that I think it makes perfect sense, none the less if NHS doctors used my methodology instead of a belief system most of which is not British (nothing racist about this), I’m sure it would be better than the existing discrimination that exists.

The point I’ve attempted to make is that you can be transgender and bisexual or trans male-to-female and lesbian (attracted to women). No relation between gender and sexuality. Asexuals = far left and far right, just append it to both ends of the curve, reasonable? thx

2. AtheistWithMorals.com 24 Oct 2012, 9:29pm

I’ve made some small changes to the article, thank you for the feedback. If you would like to discuss the issue further, I am available as education is key.

4. Even I, despite already having come to accept it, sometimes also question my transexuality and have doubts about its legitimacy. I don’t know, probably because I haven’t come out yet and still look pretty much as a man I don’t see myself as capable of transitioning despite knowing that this is what I want.

1. If it makes you feel any better even cis people struggle with the binary.

I’m trans but my GF has talked about this with me for her as did my ex.

5. Lana is by far and a away not alone. I and so many of my gender variant friends share her experience. I hope that her notoriety will help make the lives of others like us a little less painful. On another note, I can’t believe I twice had opportunities to meet her this past summer here in Chicago at 2 separate TG events. She seemed so shy in her distinctive pink dreads, that I had a feeling she’d prefer to be left alone.

6. LOVE LANA!

7. Purity Vendetta 25 Oct 2012, 11:27pm

A fantastic role model for other transsexual people. Oh Pink News… transsexual (sic) is spelled with TWO S’s. That’s transsexual.

8. Dave North 28 Oct 2012, 3:10pm

I must admit as a 100% gay man, I have difficulty with all these sexuality scenarios.

I think you get so caught up in your own struggles and tend to dismiss others without thought.

It is clear that the so called professors and scientists have no idea about the fluidity of sexuality and we are still in sufferance of the tight religious dogmas of the past.

Its time humanity grew up on this and ditched the churches.

9. There aren’t the words for how inspirational she has been to me.

Her story has been the one thing that helped me finally understand and accept who I am. Not evil, not mad, not a freak. I cannot express how thankful (and happy) I am about that.

Thank you Lana.