Gay boxer wins first fight since decision to come out

1. Congratulations Orlando, well done.

1. cheers for him – for the fight and coming out of the closet.

the more gay people come out of the segregation of terror of the closet the sooner we’ll reach the promised land

Marriage equality and a sign over the vatican gate –

Bankruptcy sale.

BTW home may realize that the top national socialist leadership

AH, Goebbels, Mengele, Himmler, and Eichmann were members of the Roman church

A church which in many ways deserves the sign over its gate to also read

ARBREIT MACH FREI

(with my appologies to gooe people like John 23 and JPII who saved many jews.)

But the holocaust came as a result of an absolutist church which in the middle ages hated Jews and killed hundred of thosands who wouldnt convert

2. Congratulations. Honoured to have you part of the our fully-out family. Very courageous!!!!

3. It’s fantastic to see a fully out gay athlete in such a male orientated sport… Gives me much more confidence in my own running career. To the future!

4. Poor opponent has to around knowing he got beat by a queer

1. Maybe you could look at the world through another pair of spectacles, a pair that focus on the positive. I sure would not want to look at myself with your eyes.

Sad tool.

2. Whats wrong with that comment? I can’t see it as anti-gay-more straight sour grapes!

1. Mister Fister 22 Oct 2012, 4:26pm

I understand where you’re coming from. Maybe you should have worded it better. Still it’s good to change people’s perception of us from being ‘limp-wristed’ to being able to pack a punch. Mind you, that’s no excuse for us to all go around doing a bit of straight-bashing. Although your fists can be used for other purposes if you get my drift – ouch! Gently now…

5. Isn’t it funny how the Mail always seems to feature the gay-interest stories?

1. thats what gay people need – more publictity -especially of those who are well known and reverred.

Role models and hope for gay kids in particular

thats another reason that the RC church is so opposed to gay people- they want all in the closet of terror and segregation.

6. And this is news why exactly? Was he going to start lossing just because he came out?

Would have thought the more important point in the whole story was the positive crowd reaction.

Just saying.

1. ….Which the article duly reported. I am glad PN printed this story. People in sport who bravely come out and carry on having successful careers is good news. Cheer up, Phil.

2. “Was he going to start losing just because he came out?”

Actually, yes, there was a greater risk than before because it increased the stakes of his opponent, who then knew that if he lost, he would go down as the first professional boxer to be defeated by an out gay boxer. In most boxing circles, that would be especially humiliating; so it was an incentive for his opponent to put up the fight of his life.

7. I dont think there are too many surprises here…the dude defo looks gay to me. Still, he does work in a homophobic type of environment so I guess it took guts to confirm this.

1. I don’t know – I wouldn’t have pegged him as gay. I think he’s dreamy though. ♥_♥

2. Wow, such a gaydar. You can tell that from one photograph, can you?

8. Good man

Great admiration and respect.

9. This is amazing well done Orlando for coming out and also for having the mental strength to win the match! Nice to see an out proud gay man succeed in such a macho sport as boxing!!!

10. cheers for him – for the fight and coming out.

Marriage equality and a sign over the vatican gate –

Bankruptcy sale.

BTW home may realize that the top national socialist leadership

AH, Goebbels, Mengele, Himmler, and Eichmann were members of the Roman church

A church which in many ways deserves the sign over its gate to also read

ARBREIT MACH FREI

(with my appologies to gooe people like John 23 and JPII who saved many jews.)

11. ...Paddyswurds 21 Oct 2012, 12:17pm

I just cannot congratulate anyone, Gay or Hetero for beating another human being to a pulp in order to satisfy the blood lust of a few idiotic fans. We have rightly banned, fox hunting, bear bating, hare coursing, bull fighting, cock fighting and other equally barbaric pastimes from our brutish past but we still allow the horrendous spectacle of pugilism.
    I am not proud of this as a human being and wish fervently that soon we will finally see the brutishness of it and consign it to the shame bin of history.
    It is doubly shameful that a Gay man would want to take part in such barbarity and I really do question his sanity…..

1. ...Paddyswurds 21 Oct 2012, 9:59pm

By my calculations there are at least 6 people trolling these threads who objected to my comment. yesterday I had at least thumbs up and and today that has been reversed to 2 thumbs down. That there are Gay people who object to the points I made about the objectionable activity of Pugilism is disgraceful, and those who marked me down are doubly objectionable bot as human beings and as gay people. Of course they may not be Gay but may just be xtian or some other damnable creed all of which, by their silence, subscribe to this brutish “sport”, and i am loathe to call it “sport” Whoever you are I hope you are proud of yourself.

1. Erm, you sound quite mad. It’s just a story about boxing.

1. Paddyswurds 22 Oct 2012, 1:49am

s*sholes on this site would make anyone mad…..Pugilism is still wrong tho….

1. Paddyswurds 22 Oct 2012, 1:50am

a*sholes**

2. Calm down Paddyswurds, some people may just have thought your comments inappropriate in a story about a boxer – everyone who disagrees with you isn’t automatically a troll, you know!

(And before you get huffy, I was actually one of those who gave you a thumbs-up, even though I didn’t think it was the best place for an anti-pugilism polemic.)

3. Mister Fister 22 Oct 2012, 4:38pm

I would have thought the BDSM crowd would be perplexed by your comments on the noble art of boxing. After all, one man’s pleasure is another man’s pain. You have obviously never visited a Boxing Club. Very homoerotic.

Are you sure you’re not putting us on, eh? ‘An Irishman who doesn’t like fighting?’ he says using a crude ethnic stereotype…

2. chris casey 22 Oct 2012, 3:09pm

Problem is that they are consenting adults. If you are prepared to ban it because you, subjectively, consider it barbaric then it won’t be long until someone comes along one day and claims we are barbaric. Be careful for what you wish for.

1. ...Paddyswurds 23 Oct 2012, 12:11am

TBH, i wouldn’t advocate for a ban, but i would have hoped that we would leave such brutality behind by now. That pugilism would die a death from disuse or disinterest……. or even a realisation that it simply isn’t human to want to beat another human to a pulp. I guess it is going to take another few years of happy clappy hugging before we think “ya know, I think I’ll get a proper job that doesn’t entail harming another human.
        Even grosser is the fact that we now have women at it…. and it even an Olympic “sport”
        BTW, I don’t appreciate your blatant racism, but then that is the anti Irish Englishman in you coming out….

12. To be honest I’ve never heard of him:(

13. As with anything like this you’ll always get the conspiracy theorists that his opponent let him win, or was paid £££ to allow him to win…

Any sport, is so wrapped up with this ‘macho image’… quite why this has to happen is beyond me, as has been displayed, LGBT people CAN play sports and CAN win.

Skin colour, racial background and religion don’t seem to matter in sports, so why should sexuality?

Its time the world of sport was brought up to date too, so, despite what conspiracy theorists think, well done to Orlando for winning. Yes, so what, he might have lost a few anti-gay fans, but he’s gained more gay fans through his coming out!

1. thumbs down because no-one has mentioned conspiracy theories so it doesn’t make sense for you to argue against them.

14. damned filth 6 Nov 2012, 8:21pm

No comments about getting bruised in the ring, boys!