Freddie Mercury film to be released in 2014

1. Paul from Brighton 12 Oct 2012, 9:21pm

Can you imagine how better this world would be if dear Freddie were still alive?

The possibilities, the laughter, the music, the narratives.

We all – hetro, LGBT or otherwise lost so much on the day Freddie passed away.

Can’t believe it’s 20 years ago….

1. 21 years end next month :-( I remember exactly where I was when I head – and the impact it had on me. It says something though that his music still lives!

2. Paul Hutton 13 Oct 2012, 12:11am

I can tell you as much about Freddie from our brief encounters than even Brian, he was such a nice, but lonely guy, who craved to meet “normal” people. I was his country bumkin!!

1. john sartain 17 Oct 2012, 12:38pm

Hi Paul its John here from Chippenham! (James mate!) How the devil are you? Regards John Henry Sartain (Now in Bristol)

3. GingerlyColors 13 Oct 2012, 6:38am

The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Liberace plus many other bands and singers have had films made about him so why not Freddie Mercury? Queen would still be filling stadiums today if Freddie Mercury was still alive.

4. I’m actually looking forward to seeing this one…
    Sacha Baron Cohen is a great choice, not only does he bear a remarkable resemblence to Freddie give or take a foot in height, but he can do the flamboyantly camp thing pretty well as he showed in Bruno.
    And he’s done a couple of musicals so the singing won’t be much of a stretch – so long as the director can reign him in, this should make for an interesting biopic.
    The only question is who’s playing the rest of the band?

1. I agree with you on him playing the part although I would hope that when it comes to singing, like many other biopics, the actor does not sing live, more mime to original recordings.

5. Spanner1960 13 Oct 2012, 10:10am

If anybody missed it, try to catch “The Best Possible Taste”, the Kenny Everett biopic on TV last week. A very sad mixed-up guy there, and good mates with Freddie Mercury who is portrayed in the drama.

Both went sadly way before their time.

6. Will it feature a badger in the staring role?

7. The Kenny Everett biopic was very good indeed, well worth a watch – certainly set me thinking about how things may have been different for the perception of HIV if either of these good men had survived. Very sad that they both lost their lives to HIV at a time when effective treatment was not available & the Gay Community were in the grip of fear that surrounded HIV at that time.

The Mercury Phoenix Trust has provided grants totaling $15million to HIV / AIDS Charities since the trust was set up.

If both Freddie & Kenny had survived for a few more years they may still be with us now! Such a waste of talent.

1. Spanner1960 13 Oct 2012, 8:15pm

One interesting point to note was no mention of Kenny’s Russian Boyfriend.
      It has been claimed that he infected both Everett and Mercury, and died before either of them. I have heard this claim from a number of sources, but as to how true it is, I have no idea.

8. It’s great news that they’re doing a biopic of Freddie… I sincerely hope that Cohen gives it a great performance and doesn’t turn it into some farce.

It’s 21 years ago end of next month, and yet still I play Queen’s music regularly. In fact Queen Rocks is the current album in the car. It would have had untold effects on the music scene if he still lived, and I have no doubt that Queen would still be packing stadiums, as few musicians have been able to do since

9. I’ll be interested to see how Brian May portrays Freddie. In the last Freddie Mercury bio that I watched Brian was very vocal that he doubted Mercury was gay and that he personally saw no evidence that he was anything but 100% straight and a ladies man.

I can’t imagine that a person so close to Freddie Mercury could be so blind.

It’ll be interesting to see if his opinion has changed over the years since he filmed that interview.