Florida Republican gay group uses image of dead US ambassador in campaign ad

1. ‘The advert urges LGBT voters to choose the Republican Party in order to “support Israel”.’

In other words, vote for the people who will do away with your rights to support a terrorist state.

1. I agree that the Republicans are no friend of the lgbt community and this is often a confusing argument and situation to see an lgbt republican group, but when it comes to Israel, lgbt’s have a little better a time there than Palestine which it supposedly terrorizes.

1. Gays voting for Republicans is turkeys voting for Thanksgiving!!!
        What is it with idiots who would vote AGAINST their own self-interest, and the interests of their ‘community’ ??????? IDIOTS!!!!!

1. I agree with you. And I find it so bizzare I get a so many dislikes to my comment that Palestine hates more gays than Israel.

2. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:15am

This just proves their “I’m alright Jack, I got mine” mentality and the fact that their true “community” is the corporate oligarchy!

2. Even the far less authoritarian repubs like Ron Paul shied away from tackling gay issues. So does Obama though so who to vote for? Gary Johnson? Wasted vote.

2. Never mind that Mitt Romney used the exact same incident for his own political point scoring, yet didn’t get such a Republican backlash for it.
    I wonder if the extremist religious types in the USA will use this as further “evidence” of how evil all homosexuals are.

3. ...Paddyswurds 12 Oct 2012, 7:14pm

It seems being Gay is no bar to utter idiocy and this “log cabin group proves that. They should change their name to Uncle Toms Cabin group as that is away more fitting for such Quislings….

1. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:16am

I prefer the term “Aunt Tom”.

1. I’ve always been a fan of the word quisling for them, but that’s just me.

4. This reminds me of when the Log Cabin Club would attempt to recruit in Boston bars by claiming that Republican gay men were hotter than Democratic ones! I always found Republican gay men sad. They identify more with their pocketbook than their orientation. They also appear to think that their social class will protect them from discrimination. It will come as a great surprise to them if we are ever rounded up and put to the wall, that they would be included.

1. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:20am

Very like the brown shirts under the leadership of Ernst Rohm – up until “the night of the long knives”.

5. That There Other David 12 Oct 2012, 7:32pm

The person or people that decided this was a good idea are so ridiculously naive politically the Republican Party should sue to stop them using the word in their name.

6. GLBTQAI Republicans are wealthy quislings who think (wrongly) that money will protect them if the Republicans / Dominionists / Reconstructionist theocrats ever come to power in the U.S.

It won’t.

The Reich (sic) Wing has already announced that sodomy will be re-criminalized and that all homosexuals “should” be put to death.

All their money MIGHT do is allow them to flee the country. Those of us who don’t have that luxury will have to stay and fight.

The Reich is ITCHING for another civil war / armed insurrection if President Obama is re-elected, so they get a chance to use all the guns and ammunition they have stockpiled.

These are dark times in my beloved country.

7. Jason Bird 12 Oct 2012, 9:08pm

I don’t understand why anyone votes Republican in the first place, but gay republicans are an oxymoron my mind just can’t get round

1. Something akin to Stockholm syndrome I suspect. Easier to reinforce whatever ties you have to your social strata to make up for your ‘flaws’ than to flee it completely.

8. Janet Lameck 12 Oct 2012, 10:32pm

Totally disgusting! But then I’d expect nothing better from the Republican party.
    I don’t condone what happened to the Ambassador & staff, but it has NO PLACE
    in LGBT affairs. That group is to be CONDEMNED for this ad!

9. A bit like people on this forum excusing
    people for wearing T-Shirts rejoicing the death of policemen.

Free speech isn’t it.

Revolting.

1. No-one was excusing it. Most people question the appropriateness of a 4-month custodial sentence for the action.

1. Spanner1960 13 Oct 2012, 8:19pm

I agree. They should have made it 12.

10. A bit like people on this site excusing
    people for wearing T-Shirts rejoicing the death of policemen.

Free speech isn’t it. NOT.

Revolting.

1. OOPS. I did say it twice.

2. Spanner1960 13 Oct 2012, 8:22pm

Sadly people want you to do as they say, not as they do.
      It’s all too easy to slag off murdered police officers and call them what they want, but woe betide anyone that suggests that some gay people might be less than squeaky clean.

Either we all speak freely, or we don’t.
      Personally, I’d rather go for the former because words never hurt anybody.

1. Free speech is not freedom from the consequences of using it.

2. I disagree, Spanner, words can hurt – we saw the suicide of a teenage girl last week after a hate campaign. Men who are accused of paedophilia have had their lives ruined even after being exonerated.
        And it was verbal testimony, not forensic evidence, that sent Oscar to Reading Gaol for 2 years, and made the Salem Witch Trials a bloodbath.
        That is why we have laws of perjury, libel and slander.

11. “If the Obama Administration isn’t going to protect gay/gay-friendly American citizens from the terror of Islamic radicalism, what makes you think they will protect us from Shariah Law…ANYWHERE?”

Haha, typical Republican inflamed rhetoric. As if Islamic fundamentalism were the greatest current threat against LGBT people on United States now and as if Chris Stevens was killed just because he was gay, which there isn’t even proof or motive to believe he was. Do the Florida chapter of the Log Cabin Republicans think gay people are really that stupid and naive ?

12. GingerlyColors 13 Oct 2012, 6:56am

The Log Cabin Republicans have really shot themselves in the foot here. By using a picture of Ambassador Chris Stevens in a campaign ad and even suggesting that he was gay would only drive a wedge between mainstream Republicans and the gay lobby within the party.
    Although politically conservative myself, I hope that Barak Obama wins a second term in the White House – after all he is the devil we know and under his presidency they managed to get Osama Bin Laden. As for both the Republican Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates they are both opposed to gay marriage with Tea Party member, Paul Ryan even more so. Support for marriage equality is growing amongst the American people and hopefully they will be less willing to back an anti-marriage Republican for Presidential candidate in the 2016 election when the Democrats also have to choose a replacement for Barak Obama. Stupid stunts by the Log Cabin Republicans will only set the pro-gay agenda back.

1. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:23am

Hillary Clinton for President 2016!

13. “Fallacious, simple minded and irresponsible”? So, much like 99% of political ads, then?

14. I think the log-cabiners are a more extreme version of lgbt Tories in the UK (since the Tories, at least officially, are much more lbgt-friendly than the GOP) – their belief in right-wing economics simply trumps the bigotry they face in the party. I knew gay Tories in the days of Section 28 and before who just hated paying taxes. The one ‘one nation’ gay Tory I knew left the party when Mrs Thatcher purged the ‘wets’.

15. Being gay is not a cure for being repugnant, sadly.

16. Will England grant asylum to American Gays if Romney wins the election? Any recent advancement in basic human rights will be halted, if not reversed, if he is elected. And proving the country is being overrun by idiots, bigots and Bible-thumpers.

17. When did human decency leave the building?