US: Almost-Eagle Scout teenager appears on Ellen, is awarded $20,000 scholarship

1. The USA BSA need to look to their neighbors in more developed Canada and UK.

2. How terribly, terribly mean-spirited of the Boy Scouts of America! In this day and age,

I cannot fathom how an organisation can be so archaic and hateful.

Shame on you, Mr. Brock! Shame on you, Mr. Perry!

1. Dave North 12 Oct 2012, 9:15pm

“I cannot fathom how an organisation can be so archaic and hateful. ”

I can.

Religion.

2. An organisation that requires you to pledge allegiance to any God is by definition bigoted, archaic and oh surprise, hateful too. Anywhere, every time.
      Wherever there’s religion hate follows

3. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:32am

The old pre-1978 Boy Scouts of America did not kick out gay scouts. That change in policy came about in 1978 when the organization was taken over by right wing fundamentalist Texas christians and LSD mormons! And forget about the language in the pledge “morally straight”. Prior to 1978 that language, though it existed in the pledge then did not in anyway have a connotation of “straight” (meaning heterosexual). That is just another example of right-wing christian fundamentalist revisionism.

3. Hmm, clearly the US scout movement now needs to rethink its direction, unless it wants a rebellion… or hundreds of eagle scout badges returned…

Nice one Ryan, and thank you Ellen!

1. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:33am

Too late! Hundreds of Eagle Scout badges already returned!

1. Yes, that made an unpleasant story more bearable! Good to know there are so many decent Americans!

4. So proud to have ellen as a spokeswoman for equall rights

Thank you to Ryan’s mum for starting the pettition

1. Quite right – having the courage to get this into the public domain is admirable, and it is a powerful way to expose and fight bigotry.

5. Aww, Ryan, that’s so nice. Enjoy your time at college!

*hugs*

1. The refusal of the Boy Scout organization to change their exclusionary policy on openly gay and/or atheist kids is due to the major influence and financial control of the Mormon Church and, to a somewhat lesser extent, the Catholic church, making it unlikely to change very soon.
      See: http://atheism.about.com/b/2003/11/21/mormons-taking-over-scouting.htm

1. Had to be some religion in there. Wait for the deniers to complain now religion has been mentioned.

6. Spanner1960 12 Oct 2012, 8:39am

Apalling treatment.
    I’m glad that there is a relatively happy ending to all this.

The Ellen interview:

7. Tom Cotner 12 Oct 2012, 6:46pm

I don’t know why anyone is surprised, although I am, to be honest, dismayed over the situation. The Boy Scouts of America is a religious organization, and because of that, their innate bigotry is protected by our constitution, the same as any church, synagogue, or mosque, all of whom are free to be as bigoted as they wish.
    Anyone who actually thinks that freedom rings in this country simply has not read history.
    And, yes, this is indeed sad!

8. Jim Nashville Tn 12 Oct 2012, 7:17pm

growing up .. we didnt have a boy scout troop in my area .. and I am glad … it was bad enough to have the baptist church .. but I grew up to be a open proud gay man .. and when I read stories like this I am sadden that a organization could be so bigoted ..
    when you mix religion with anything in the USA find for the most part how narrow minded those who say they follow Jesus Christ are .. congrats on the scholarship .. and thanks to Ellen for not being just another talk show ..
    I do hope all those who watch her show and respect equal rights for the gblt community will vote in nov and spread the word . to vote Obama ..

9. Whatever happened to anti discrimination laws on the basis of sexuality??? Don’t you have such laws in the USA. ??? Coming from Australia where such laws have been around for decades I am amazed that the scouting association in USA has not been brought to task over this blatant act of discrimination. Get with the real world America

1. David Myers 13 Oct 2012, 8:36am

Sexual orientation is not specifically protected from discrimination under US law, particularly in a “private organization”. Time for a change!

2. The first line of their beloved Constitution is anti-discriminatory, yet Native Americans, Blacks, Jews, gays and women have all suffered from bigotry and hatred, often in the name of “patriotism”. Unbelievable!

10. The Salvation Army is the same way. You’d think they’d want donations and volunteers. Well not if you’re gay.

11. I am from Ireland and just found out about this story on an old re-run of Ellen. This is really after shocking me. I am disgusted that in this day and age people still treat others like this. I don’t know what his sexual orientation has to do with him being a scout leader. If I had a child in scouts over there I would take him out for being in a group that seems to promote hatred like this. It’s about the person not who they love. Who you love doesn’t define you as a person. Shame on those people involved.