UK: Christian Labour MP changes his mind and backs equal marriage

1. I am glad when I read stories like this where a politician is undecided on this issue, has taken the time to listen to people and allowed his thoughts to change.

Gives me hope that not all politicians are dinosaurs and that a change of opinion is possible.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 11 Oct 2012, 9:07am

How very gracious of him – nothing to do with being whipped into supporting it of course.

Oh, blimey no!!

Perish the thought!!!.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Oct 2012, 12:20pm

I suspect there will be more of them who are on the fence but will evolve now that they’ve heard the hate and offensive vitriole coming from yesterday’s hate rally. It’s not just our rights that are affected, but the public at large. Those bigots if they have their way, want to impose religion on the rest of society, the majoirty of which aren’t religious. They’d outlaw abortion if they could get away with it.

Wel done, Barry Sheerman, and thank you. You’ve proved that a person of faith can discern what is the right thing to do regardless of one’s religious beliefs.

1. That There Other David 9 Oct 2012, 3:59pm

They wouldn’t just stop at outlawing abortion. You only have to look at some of the anti-woman proposals being openly discussed amongst the Christofascists in the US to see what they really want. Not a lot of difference between their policies and those of the Taliban when it comes to women.

3. Just shows what a liitle polite education and awareness will do. Good on this man for changing his mind. I hope he talks to those around him who still think like he used to and persuades them that equal marriage is a good thing.

“Mr Sheerman added that his new-found support had been strengthened by Monday’s anti-equal marriage fringe event at the Conservative Party Conference.”

How I grinnned reading that! Yes, Carey and co., your vile bigotry has backfired on you, you offensive little man.

4. Dave North 9 Oct 2012, 12:42pm

Thank you Widdecombe and Bish Carey.

Your poison is doing us just brilliantly.

1. Dave North 9 Oct 2012, 12:42pm

And thank you Mr. Sheerman.

5. I want to thank Barry personally as it was me and my vie-president Jamie who had the meeting with him. I stated that we are trying to make a difference so that there is no difference!

1. Richard Jones 10 Oct 2012, 12:34am

Well done, Emma. There are lots of religious people, belonging to different faiths, who would love to have gay marriages celebrated on religious premises and my prayer is that that will happen too, despite the official position of the Church of England.

2. Well done, Emma.

6. Mr Sheerman: thank you.

So the offensive comments by Carey and Widdecombe do have consequences. Who knew.

I am very, very pleased to hear that there are sensible people who can think things through and dispassionately weigh them on their merits instead of blind prejudice and fear born out of ignorance.

I just can’t say it enough: thank you Mr Sheerman.

7. Well done, all involved!!

8. “I saw Ann Widdecombe… I thought My God. I was right to change my mind”

Well played Widde

9. We’re winning!

10. GingerlyColors 10 Oct 2012, 7:43am

Many Christians are happy to see marriage equality introduced, there are worse things in the world to worry about than whether or not two men or two women who love each other can get married.

11. You’re a big person for changing your mind. Thank you.