Matt Bomer on being a gay teenager: ‘I had to cover my tracks’

1. I don’t understand, I was a teenager the year Bomer was born, and I came out that very year. Did the world change so radically in the subsequent 16 years?

I guess I’ve never really realized just how lucky I was to have been born in a civilized country.

1. colonelkira 7 Oct 2012, 8:14pm

No………he was a coward, you were not!

2. “The world” is a big place. Bits of it are more open and more tolerant than others. Even within one country, or one town. And different people feel different pressures depending on who they associate with, what their families are like and so on.

I can imagine that some parts of America in the 1970s were more tolerant than some parts of Britain are today. It doesn’t pay to generalise.

1. colonelkira 7 Oct 2012, 8:41pm

Are you kidding me?

He was 16 in 1993 NOT the 70’s ok.

1. amwm2wm3mm 7 Oct 2012, 9:12pm

I came out in 2003 at 13 and it wasn’t by choice (a girl overheard a friend and I talking). I was assaulted, harassed, my belongings were vandalized, etc. by both students, their parents, and teachers for the entire 4 years between then and when I graduated. Don’t assume that because you live in a fairly tolerant area that everyone does. There are still parts of both the UK and the US where it can be dangerous to come out.

1. colonelkira 8 Oct 2012, 12:43am

You don’t know me or anything about me………I think it may be you who are making assumptions!

2. Colonelkira, you don’t know Matt bomber yet you feel justified in judging him, it’s ok for you to do that but not for people to disagree with you. Hypocrite.

2. He’s from Texas. It’s a homophobic place. He works in Hollywood. It’s a homophobic place. He’s come out now. Let’s celebrate that. Don’t be such a small minded cretin. I smell jealousy!

1. colonelkira 8 Oct 2012, 12:42am

Yes that’s right…..I’m the small minded jealous one because I voice an opinion contrary to the mob.

Grow up!

2. No, because you come across as a smug patronising (and pseudonymous) git.

2. Dave North 7 Oct 2012, 7:11pm

I was born in 1965 and despite knowing something different about myself, I did not come out until 1990.

It was at that point I managed to personally ignore all the bull I had heard over the years denigrating me as “not worthy”.

In that year I gained my doctorate which to me earned me the right to fuss and complain at every homophobic religious idiot that deigns to take away any rights I am fully entitled to as a human born upon this planet at this time.

3. colonelkira 7 Oct 2012, 8:15pm

He gets rewarded for being a closet case?

Pathetic.

1. Your ignorance is staggering. It is you who is pathetic not him.

2. ah, colonelkira. Unrequited love, eh? No wonder you’re so bitter.

3. He only came out to the press this year, but at that point he already had a partner and three children. Hardly a “closet case”. Unless of course you’re calling him a closet case for talking about his experience as a closeted 14 year old child, which… I hope you aren’t.

1. colonelkira 8 Oct 2012, 12:46am

So let’s see…….if he was still a closet case you’d all be clamouring for him to come out………he stays in the closet simply to further his career and he is a “traitor”………now he comes out when it is convenient for him you are all madly loving him?

What a bunch of hypocrites you all are.

1. What a mean-spirited grouch you are. Please let us know what widespread effect your principled stance throughout your life has achieved and I’m sure we’ll all give you due admiration.

4. I find his honesty refreshing. None of us are perfect and none of us are in a position to judge others.

5. turrrrd burglarrss 7 Oct 2012, 10:27pm

When will these poo stabbing deviants stop blaming ‘ social pressures’ and admit that the true reason is shame. The shame one feels when the conscience tells you it is against God or decency.

1. Yawn. Put another record on dear.

6. Matt Bomer… so, so handsome… woof

7. colonelkira 8 Oct 2012, 10:57am

A gay man having an opinion that is contrary to what other gay men feel should be right has MORE dislikes than the right wing hater who calls us poo-stabbers and deviants?!

You guys are seriously messed up!

1. Christopher in Canada 8 Oct 2012, 1:26pm

Dear Colonel – people are not disagreeing with who you are as a person, they are disagreeing with the concepts and even memories your comment represents to them. There is a difference. Once you grow up, you might realize that.

1. colonelkira 8 Oct 2012, 4:48pm

You’re a moron

1. Why are you so angry?

8. I just love Matt Bomer, always have.

It’s very important to highlight just how difficult it is to come out in high school. Kids can be very cruel and need to be educated that just because someone’s different doesn’t give them an excuse to be bullied.