Puerto Rican pro boxer comes out as gay

1. Well done on coming out.

2. Brilliant , good for him, it’ll be interesting now to see the reaction from the media etc.

3. Great news. Courageous and responsible.

4. Midnighter 4 Oct 2012, 12:50pm

Nice one Orlando! Thank you for your courage and all the best in your career.

5. That Matt 4 Oct 2012, 1:00pm

What an amazing role model. It’s nice to have some people that can peel away the flamboyant stereotypes, and help to normalize gay people and take away this image of emasculation that we’re currently associated with.

6. Suddenly last Bummer 4 Oct 2012, 2:33pm

He can go a few rounds in my ring if he wants. Phwoar!

7. I was interested to read the comments around this story and came on to read with some hesitation as I was expecting to read comments like ‘he can box my ring anytime’. I was so pleased to see congratulations messages and that my expectations were wrong. And then I got to message 6. I knew it would be too good to be true :-)

1. Well I guess that someone had to make that kind of comment, too good an opportunity to miss!

2. Christopher in Canada 5 Oct 2012, 1:37am

Oh, relax! Girls throw themselves at sports heros all the time – why shouldn’t gay men?? Str8 men have the swimsuit issue… geez, what’s wrong with being attracted to someone and giving them the celeb star treatment? “Gay Men: Human After All!! Film at 11!” Your tacit disapproval is not required. I’m going to buy a poster of him right now and hang him beside my Lynda Carter’s “Wonder Woman”!

3. But Robert, you admitted just now, that you thought of that very comment about which you castigate others, before you even clicked to look at the responses! What is the difference between a mind that only thinks such a sentence, rather than writes what it thinks as well?

You remind me of the prudes who congratulated Dr Samuel Johnson, just after he published his dictionary, for including no vulgarities. To which, I believe, the reply was: ‘Ladies, I congratulate you for knowing how to look them up!’ :-)

1. A prude? My tacit disapproval? Shame that the smiley face didn’t help to convey the lightheartedness of my comment. Ah well, I suppose some people take things seriously and look to attack the slightest comment. Mind you, I am a prude and express tacit disapproval at the idea of a poster of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman on anyone’s wall!!!

1. And I could say the same about the lightheartedness of my comment too :-)

4. Suddenly Last Bummer 5 Oct 2012, 4:56pm

Sense of humour get lost in the post again robert?

8. Good on you man. My friend is a gay boxer (ameture) he’ll be v happy to hear this :D xx

9. More of this pls!

10. I don’t approve of this sport but I applaud his coming out.

11. Julia Ford 4 Oct 2012, 5:35pm

I guess no one will be picking on him in public :)

Well done and be proud , you are a star in more ways than one..

12. Yay – And more importantly he is still at the top of his game unlike most other gays that come out – you are a legend my man good on you !!!!

13. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 10:55pm

Congratulations on a courageous move in what can be a very homophobic “sport”,..
    I thoroughly disapprove of pugilism and I sincerely hope you can move into something else for the sake of your health, and because you are a beautiful young man with a courageous heart…..

14. Man got balls. Hats off.

15. It does indeed take balls to come out, especially as a boxer. Well done!

16. Orlando is brave but I am worried for him people don’t understand how homophobic and macho boxing is. Orlando is a very brave man he didn’t have to come out but he wanted to. I wish him well and continued success.

17. Christopher in Canada 5 Oct 2012, 1:33am

Canada’s Marc Leduc came out after he retired in 1994.

18. Mrs Patrick Campbell 5 Oct 2012, 9:42am

She only ‘came out’ because she is old and nobody is interested in her anymore.
    Also, story is useless without nude frontal and rearal photos!

1. ...Paddyswurds 5 Oct 2012, 12:02pm

Ignorant racist spit and run troll….

19. Thankfully, acceptance is improving.
    My partner is the white collar boxer who has been fighting for years under the name of “The Pink Pounder” (see http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2008/04/21/gay-boxer-upbeat-despite-defeat-at-hands-of-tory-mp/
    No-one in his club bats an eyelid at the fact that he happens to be gay.