Labour MEP Michael Cashman to stand down in 2014

1. Sad news that he is standing down but I wish him well in what ever he does next.

2. It is sad news to loose such a dedicated representative. He has always ensured that LGBT rights are raised in the European Parliament. Even though we sometimes think of many European countries being progressive in LGBT equality they are not all as advanced as us. We should also remember Michaels role in the early days in challenging Section 28 and the formation of the lobby group Stonewall (love them or loath them they were effective in challenging that injustice).
    Good luck for the future Michael.

3. Cardinal Capone 4 Oct 2012, 5:00pm

Maybe then star in a TV drama about an MEP? It might help us understand what they do.

4. Michael Cashman is a thoroughly decent person, and we need more good-hearted, able and inspirational people like him in political life.

Wonderful man. I enjoyed a beer with him once, after a performance when he was an actor. He subsequently went out of his way to help with a serious injustice issue: something I shall never forget.

5. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 6:02pm

Speaking as a conservative I wish Michael well in what ever he goes on to do we need more kind hearted and hard working people in politics what ever party they may be in.

1. GingerlyColors 5 Oct 2012, 7:02am

I’m a Conservative as well but I wish Michael Cashman well in the future. I remember when he broke the taboo of same-sex kissing on television in Eastenders.

6. Pavlos Prince of Greece 4 Oct 2012, 6:33pm

As a young gay men from terrible conservative country, I wish to say for You, Mr. Cashman, thank you very much indeed for all what You and all group of gay rights activists in the European Parliament having did for gay rights across our not always gay friendly continent, and especially in Eastern Europe. I hope, this activity will be continued also in the future. Thank you!

7. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Oct 2012, 7:00pm

Thank you Michael for your service. You will be missed. Wishing you and your partner all the very best and much happiness in the future. We are proud of what you have done for us and others.

8. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 9:21pm

What happened?
    Did the gravy train finally arrive at the terminus?

1. Spanner

He really doesn’t deserve that comment. I say that as a Conservative Eurosceptic, and someone whom Michael Cashman helped before he became an MEP. He is a thoroughly decent human being.

1. Spanner1960 6 Oct 2012, 4:14am

I am not judging the man, but I am judging his post.
        The EU is a complete waste of time effort and most of all, money.
        If he is part of that organisation, then he is part of the problem.

9. The man is a star and I wish him well for the future. Thanks for all that you have done. He has supported both national and international LGBT groups as well as local ones. Thanks for supporting us when all you faced was abuse. A truly nice and genuine man. Politics will not be the same without you there asking the difficult questions

1. Patrick Kennedy 29 Dec 2012, 10:56pm

Everyone has one life. Need more be said? No one could possibly fulfill the needs of everyone in this our political world, but thank you and bravo to you Mr Cashman for attempting to do so, and for the successes you’ve had along the way that have changed the lives of precious beings.