Ellen DeGeneres receives top comedy honour

1. While I’m not necessarily sold on her being a great comedic wit – I like her anyway.

Ellen is a positive public face for LGBT people. We know that people tend to get over their bigotry if they have contact with LGBT people – friends, family, colleagues. This is the next best thing – a friendly, non-threatening presence for those who feel they have never actually met an LGBT person.

Now. None of this should be necessary. Ideally, a touch of empathy should be enough. But that posits a perfect world, and we don’t live in one. Some people need to be shown that we are really no different from them and that the things they have been told are lies.

She’s a quiet advocate. Safe and comforting for middle America. And she took a risk that nearly cost her her career.

In her corner, if not actually laughing at her jokes.

2. That Matt 4 Oct 2012, 4:39pm

I think she’s hilarious and I always have. Total legend and I just want her to be as happy as possible. She inspires a lot of people.

3. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 6:53pm

A well deserved Award for a woman who is an inspiration to the gay comunnity throughout the Anglophone world. That large Americans admire her and use her services to promote their product to the Gay community is testament to her hard work and friendly humorous personality. Best wishes to her and her partner Porshe. I am a committed fan…. Lets Dance!

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 6:55pm

oops..do that again Paddy….
      ….A well deserved Award for a woman who is an inspiration to the Gay community throughout the Anglophone world. That large American companies admire her and use her services to promote their product to the Gay community is testament to her hard work and friendly humorous personality. Best wishes to Ellen and her partner Porshe. I am a committed fan…. Lets Dance!

1. Portia… do that again Paddy x

1. ...Paddyswurds 5 Oct 2012, 2:34pm

I have also seen it spelled my way on American Blogs ,but thanx anyway…x

4. I thought this was a European site. Everything on it these days seems to be about America.

1. ...Paddyswurds 5 Oct 2012, 2:36pm

…..probably because that is where the most bigoted and religious anti Gay crazies are to be found these days, tat!

5. Jim Nashville Tn 5 Oct 2012, 12:28pm

dont much care for her talk show .. sometimes I think she has homophobic guest on . because they are promoting something .. and that bothers me .
    but then again by doing so she presents a very valid view of a open and successful gay person . something we need more of .. congrats on the award .. you do make me laugh

6. Jim Nashville Tn 5 Oct 2012, 12:30pm

sometimes its seems she has guest on who are or have homophobic views that I really dont care for
    but in doing so she shows that we all can be bigger then ourselves .. congrats on the award and you do make me laugh
    we need more successful people like you showing the world what gay really means