Comment: Some Tories are Gay Get Over It!

1. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 10:01pm

“I had become disillusioned at been defined and view by the letters “LGBT” and not by my experience and skills as a campaigner and politician.”

You are 26 years old. You may have a FEW years experience in this, but just what is your experience in life OTHER than being transexual and a politicians

Like all politicians and their lackeys you deem your own issues more important than the idiots that pay taxes that pay your salaries.

Given your age and obvious ignorance on this parties history you have no idea the poison your pet party poured on LGBT over decades.

Decades, I and others suffered in.

Imagine being in school and learning via the BBC or ITV news that your very identity was deemed illegal. SECTION 28.

If the Tories want trust it has to be earned.

And as far as I am concerned that will only be by an unequivocal statement that EQUAL Marriage is happening.

And soon, and NOT after various consultations with god botherers.

THAT. Takes time to get over.

1. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:27pm

Whats my experience other than being trans and in politics?

I studied law at the university of liverpool, I have represented people on death row, I am trustee of a major deaf charity, I left home at 16 and self taught my Alevels from home while working in a solicitors and supporting my self and a long term partner, I was a national disability and lgbt rep for national union of students, I was national student lgbt campaigner of the year, I have been a guest lecturer on sexuality and gender at John Moores University, I am a practicing diversity Consultant, I am a Diversity manager in the NHS, I have advised on policy for various University and other Private/third sector organisations, I have done pro bono legal work for innocent people who have been wrongly convicted. I really dont care about what you think of some of my experiences I have listed and the only reason I have included them is to show you shouldn’t make assumptions without actually knowing someone.

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:55pm

Jack of all trades and master of none then….

2. Now I’m a little confused. Having gone to the trouble of telling us that you are disillusioned by the LGBT label, resist pigeon holes and expectations of behaviour for LGBT people … You seem to have spent a long time, and indeed seem to be make a living, off what I suppose is assumed insight, focus and interest due to being LGBT…

In the article you say “Everything was about pigeonholing you in a box and defining you by what “group” you came from”. But is that not very much what you have based your life around – what “groups” you are in? I suppose I find some of your statements somewhat contradictory.

3. Here are just a few questions for Ms Tara. How much exactly did you pay for your law university studies and how do that compare to what the students are made to pay now? What do you think about the cuts of legal aid for the most vulnerable members of our society? How many of your conservative colleagues would attend your civil partnership ceremony, if you invited all of them? Would Mr David Cameron place a picture of you embracing himself for an assertive national trans awareness publicity campaign to appear widely on all major media outlets in the UK? Would you change party allegiance again?

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 12:47pm

Why Should Mr Camerom embrace me for a nation wide trans publicity campaign its that exact type of pigeon holing and single focused view that I experienced in Labour. How many of my “conservative” friends would attend my wedding? Well I imagine quite alot considering we are friends! I paid fees for my uni studies yes and I supported the idea of a graduate tax however the current system is reasonable and very fair. Students have more money in their pockets at university now than at any time before. This is what students from more deprieved background need the money to actualy get through uni. Its only middle class stuck up arm chair politicos that dont grasp that fact. Fees are not up front and only took off your sallary when your earning a significant wage and proportionate to what you earn. So the new system is more of a benefit to widening participacian students than the old one. I dont support some of the cuts in legal aid no, nor do i have to support every decision government makes

1. Well, he would embrace you to promote a variety of issues, like trans visibility or to campaign against trans crime, or promote marriage equality. Have you never seen him embracing grannies, children, artists, entrepreneurs, politicians and other assorted kinds of people? That’s what politicians do. Why would you deny yourself his embrace if other people are happy with it? Unless of course you don’t want to be seen with him, or worse, you know he wouldn’t want to appear embracing you in front of his vast majority of homophobic voters.

2. Regarding your conservative “friends”. Well, my question is how many of your conservative colleagues would attend your ceremony. That should include all of them, the ones at the very top and the very bottom, and all inbetween, in the conservative hierarchy, even Mr David Cameron.

3. Regarding the fees you’ve paid for your university studies… I have actually asked how much have you paid, in numbers, because I have a feeling you have paid mucg less than what you are now requiring others to pay, which would in practice mean you are dumping your studying expenses on their shoulders.

4. that should read “much”

5. Lastly, but not least, would you change party allegiance again? and again? and again?

4. Dave North 4 Oct 2012, 10:00pm

Hi Tara.

Apologies if my post came across strong.

Believe me, I only want what you want, but historically your party in my experience has not been supportive
        of my sexual “condition”.

You. Being fully involved in all the matters you have explained tend to forget about those of us who have wangled our
        way though all the cr@p thrown at us on our own.

I still do not think that equal marriage will occur under the party you affiliate with.

Politically they cannot afford it.

And PS.

I have no desire for any of the parties.

Labour ( Everything is there mess) ,
        Liberal ( liars )
        UKIP, ( BNP for the middle class Daily Mail readers)
        Tories ( Clueless millionaires ),
        BNP ( Racist Homophobes )

5. So you are where so many of the problems originate.

2. Dave, you raise a valid point. The increasing collusion with evangelical fringes crossing the Atlantic makes me very nervous indeed, before we even consider homegrown dogma-based homophobia.

3. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 8:37am

“Labour often condemn the Tories for their voting history and historic views that existed in the past.”

Ain’t that the truth. Most are still whinging on about what Mrs T. did over 30 years ago. Move on, I say.

4. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 2:40pm

Kid of missed the point of the article I think.

Kind of completely, utterly and entirely missed the point of the article it I’m afraid

2. If they wanted to push through LGBT positive legislation, they could. But in the modern media connected world it is being used as a smokescreen and dog whistle issue rather than something they will stop fannying about with and just get on with.

And yes, some of us are not happy with Labour either. But we are also older than you and have longer memories of what the Tory party did in the past and what still lingers in the back benches.

Those who owned and prized the letters LGBT are the ones who changed the world for you. So be disillusioned all you like, but try and remember what others have been through for you, you bloody ingrate. The weight is not on your shoulders, much of the work is done – And those of us who WERE there know it was the Tory’s who blocked the path with the greatest venom.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 2:44pm

Indeed, we can thank the Conservative Winston Churchill for his foresight in dreaming up the European Union, the source of all of Labour’s equality legislation.

We can also thank John Major for all the work put into helping create the Treaty of Amsterdam that nailed member states down to the introduction of a huge raft of equalities legislation that the last Labour government were required to introduce.

Let me guess, that wasn’t the ones who changed the world that you were thinking of I’m guessing.

1. Talking in specific terms of those who embrace the label “LGBT” that the author has become so disillusioned by. And of course… politicians always act benevolently without energy or prompting from grass roots campaigns…bless their little hearts…

1. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 3:56pm

Reading through your (many) postings on this article, you seem to be moving the goalposts just a tad now mate.

1. Politicians are supposed to be responsive to constituents. The question is – who is more likely to respond? Who is more open to dialogue? Who is willing to take the steps required for justice and equality? And where is the proof of that?

There is a question of whether politicians respond to the cultural zeitgeist, or influence it through their actions. A debate that doesn’t fit here.

But by virtue of being “conservative”, I anticipate the right to preserve the status quo, with the left being more progressive and willing to embrace change.

2. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 9:19pm

Valksy: I have yet to see any politician respond until their own status is at risk.

And that goes for them right across the political spectrum.
            The days of the publicly serving MP are long gone.

3. @Spanner1960 But only because people are becoming increasingly more apathetic, passive and easily distracted by meaningless cr@p.

People are not as helpless as they seem to think. It just takes a big enough collective will to demand better. And exasperates me – from either side – that people accept the inferior.

2. So no other nations were involved? I tend to think these reforms were DESPITE Major, not thanks to him.
        Also I take issue with the notion that Labour were required to introduce equality legislation. Other nations, and indeed the Tories, water down, fight against, drag their feet over, or just ignore EU directives they do not like.

1. Tara Hewitt 5 Oct 2012, 12:55am

labour dragged their feet and so much so over equal marriage they didnt achieve it after 13 yrs in govt 3 landslide elections and so called “leaders” on equality….

2. de Villiers 5 Oct 2012, 12:09am

Venom, Valksy? You are full of nastiness and venom in every post.

1. Would you like a hanky so you can have a good cry? Seriously?

The venom I am talking about is the venom that caused harm to LGBT citizens in the UK. One voice – my voice – on a website has absolutely no power at all to harm anyone unless they consent to that harm. Do you REALLY think that compares to the grave consequences of institutional-level government endorsed homophobia?

3. Jack Holroyde 3 Oct 2012, 10:07pm

“Tara Hewitt is a Conservative Party member.”
    Well, until Labour get back in power. Then she’ll be crossing the floor again…

4. ‘Modern liberal conservative party’ you are joking right?

5. Refreshing article, I have to agree that I do not want to be defined exclusively as lgbt. I much prefer being respected for how I conduct myself, my achievements at work, education, etc. being gay is just one small part of my life not the thing that defines it.

I remember some one asking my b/f if he was an gay accountant – like many friends he responded no I am an Accountant. I think the political classes like to wear their badges for causes etc. where the rest of the world just get on with life…

Much of the change in the Labour yrs re equality was partially driven by European Court rulings as well. We need to look forward not backwards, harping back to what happened in 19xx etc. is not that helpful, the next 10-20 years are going to be challenging enough for the European nations…. We

1. Emma Warman 3 Oct 2012, 10:38pm

Great article Tara. You’re completely right that your sexuality need not and should not define your politics.

I’ve been a Conservative party member since the late 1990s and I’ve never had cause to feel unwelcome due to my sexuality, quite the opposite in fact. I don’t say that there wasn’t a problem in the past, or that there aren’t still some people who hold homophobic views, but I think it is a good thing that people like myself and Tara and many many others can be valued as campaigners, leaders and elected representatives in the Conservative Party. Why do people have to sneer? Can’t they see the contradiction between apparently wanting equality and yet at the same time expecting that LGBT people should think and act in a prescribed way?

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:09pm

How does it feel to be a member of a party that says you are not worthy of equality with the rest of society……Uncle Tom?

1. Why should she know? Why don’t you ask a member of a party that falls into that category – like the BNP?

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:23pm

If the Law & Justice homophobic Tories think differently why have they used ever ruse in the book to delay and deny Gay people their rights, equal with the rest of society…??

2. de Villiers 5 Oct 2012, 12:10am

Paddy, you are a bitter and disgusting bully.

2. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:36pm

Thanks Emma for your kind comments :)

Its that type of support and engagement that I found surprising when I first joined the conservative party as I had spent years been told how nasty and homophobic transphobic the tories were. The complete opposite has been the case I have found. From young to hold, liberals and social conservatives as “people” have all engaged with me on various issues, made me feel at home and encouraged me to take on various roles within the party myself.

I felt I was constantly working against a crowd of people placing me in a box in labour and that defining what I could achieve, In the conservatives Im pushing against an open door and only limited by my willingness to learn, skills and aspiration for success :)

1. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 4:08pm

Well done for writing the article. Much as I’m sure you would have expected you’re drawn our the Labour Old Guard to decry you, which ironically makes the point you were referring to in the article.

I used to work for the Labour Party a few years ago so I’m all to aware of their hatred for the opposition and I’m also aware of how low they go to do them over.

6. So Tara Hewitt is a sell out willing to ignore the homophobia of her party, willing to ignore the voting record, willing to ignore the homophobic equality minister

“however I don’t bring up who I’m sleeping with as a regular topic of conversation for people I have just met.”

Get that coded language! I’m reading this as “I keep quiet and know my place so the Tories will tolerate my presence” hey why not go full out and accuse those of us not willing to crawl back into the closet of “flaunting”?

“it took endless campaigning and dragging of feet to get Labour to deliver on the legislation that they introduced while in office ”

Which your party FOUGHT AGAINST

“I will judge them by the job they do not by the different jobs they have done in the past.”

In other words, ignore their bigotry and give them a benefit of the doubt they haven’t earned. They’re proven bigots with a bigoted track records

Some Tories are GBLT: More fool them. Every movement has its quislings.

7. ” ignore the fantastic progress that Labour made whilst in office delivering basic rights and protection for many diverse people within society including those who define as LGBT.”

No, you’re hear to tell us to ignore the homophobia and transphobia of your party. With a side order of “can’t you just all ignore those silly human rights issues?”

And you’re going to put marriage equality as a Tory victory? All three parties supposedly back it but the Tories wants a consultation… uh-huh

Remember our rights were fought through the labour government AGAINST your party (including the so-not-clever 1001 amendments to the domestic partnership law)

8. The Labour Party today is very progressive with regard to LGBT rights.

It didn’t use to be. In the 80s, I remember the National Executive being very unhappy at calls from local associations for the gay age of consent to be lowered to 16 rather than 18.

Go back a bit further, and you will find very homophobic Labour MPs and trade unionists.

So Labour used to be pretty homophobic, too. A few decades on, it has become very progressive.

The Conservatives have a bad record on LGBT rights. Over recent years, they too have become much more progressive. Now the PM wants equal marriage, and is getting lots of flak for that.

We eventually forgave the Labour Party. Will the Tories never be forgiven? Do they need to spend another few decades in Purgatory for past sins? Can they not be given credit and encouragement for the great progress made in supporting LGBT rights so far?

1. I think that the delay, the consultation, the time frames put on the whole issue of marriage equality are deeply, deeply suspect.

Assuming they pass the legislation through both houses, they are still talking in terms of 2015. Why? Because it is more politically expedient to drag heels and trot the issue out to distract the masses.

There is nothing much to justify any particular degree of good faith or trust. In the mean time, LGBT citizens continue to be second class citizens. Justice delayed is justice denied. And I think we’re getting our strings pulled.

1. Your analysis is a possible interpretation. It is not one I buy into.

Equal marriage is important, but not urgent. The timescale is perfectly reasonable. The consultation was a good idea, because the legislation needs to be drafted in a way that does not include flaws that could delay the legislation in the Lords.

No-one is going to die as a result of equal marriage taking three more years to be legalised. On the other hand, there are other issues that will lead to deaths if they are not addressed. One of them is how Atos Healthcare is systematically and unjustly denying the disabled and unwell their benefits. This is leading to destitution and suicide.

There are also LGBT people being put to death for being gay in Islamofascist states like Iran. Shouldn’t we be giving this our urgent attention, and getting more upset about this than about equal marriage?

Let’s try to get this all into perspective, and think hard about priorities.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Oct 2012, 11:01pm

My only hope in all this that if it passes in Parliament, it will do so in the House of Lords with a safe majority.

2. I expect my government to be capable of multi-tasking. In terms of legislation, are we talking about anything other than making marriage law as it stands now gender blind? No one is requiring that we re-build marriage from the ground up. It really is not that complex and issue and yielding the point because there are other important things at hand seems like an unnecessary act of surrender. There will always be other priorities.

I agree also that welfare reform issues are paramount. But, in fairness, this is Pink News. Of course LGBT issues are what we are talking about.

As for states like Iran, what would you like us to do? Censure and express disapproval? Sanction? Seek UN intervention? Ensure any migrants who get clear are given asylum? Then what? Why do you assume that people are not giving it urgent attention? How do you place the matter in terms of leverage that we have available to us?

3. “Equal marriage is important, but not urgent.” for you maybe, but I am sure there are plenty of couples for whom the idea is very urgent, and the second class status of their relationships painful.

1. Sevrin

There is a difference between “urgent” and “important”. And although equal marriage is very important, it is no more important than ensuring that disabled, unwell and unemployed people are given the welfare benefits they need in order to keep a roof over their head, keep warm, and buy food. And whereas a person can survive for a couple of years with a civil partnership instead of a marriage without considerable suffering, he will not do so well for that period without money for a home, food or heating, because he has been stitched up by the Atos “Healthcare” parasites.

2. Some can’t think or understand beyond their own personal nose, and may grasp the meaning of the word urgent only on their deathbeds.

4. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 9:10pm

“No-one is going to die” …au contraire, Mr Hewitt. There are in our community couples who are now in their seventies and eighties, couples where one is suffering a terminal disease who are waiting for Marriage Equality to protect them and their property and lives that have been built over long years. If one of those partners dies or has to go in hospital they have no protection whatever from grasping recitatives or hospital staff who wont recognise that the other partner should be consulted… I think you get the picture so don’t come on here with your ignorant Tory bigotry and homophobia and say that Marriage Equality isn’t needed in a hurry. It should have been enacted years ago when Labour was forced to enact CPs because they knew there was no way the homophobic Tories would vote for full marriage equality… So STFU if you have nothing less homophobic to say….

1. Sister Mary Clarance 5 Oct 2012, 3:29am

““No-one is going to die” …au contraire, Mr Hewitt. There are in our community couples who are now in their seventies and eighties, couples where one is suffering a terminal disease who are waiting for Marriage Equality to protect them and their property and lives that have been built over long years. If one of those partners dies or has to go in hospital they have no protection whatever from grasping recitatives or hospital staff who wont recognise that the other partner should be consulted…”

I see so the problem is you actually have no idea about civil partnerships and the protections they offer in this country.

You have absolutely shown what a poisoned imbecilic mind you have with your comments on this article.

You really are the poster boy for ill manners being born of stupidity.

2. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:16pm

Anyone who really believes that the Law & justice Homophobic Tory party has any intention of giving Gay people equality is seriously deluded and needs a wake up call. There is a way better chance they will bring back section 28 . CallmeDave is talking out of both sides of his mouth at once just like his lap dog liar Clegg. The only real chance of Marriage Equality is when the Labour Party returns triumphant in 2015. Until then we must put all our efforts into ensuring a Tory defeat ……

9. There is an unappealing alliance between people on the Left who say that being a Conservative is inconsistent with being unapologetically LGBT, and people with dogmatic homophobic religious beliefs, who think they are Conservatives and who are responsible for practically all the nasty homophobia in the Conservative Party, who love to claim that it is impossible to be LGBT and a Conservative because a true Conservative despises homosexuality.

In the middle are those heterosexual and LGBT Conservatives who are battling against these religious bigots who are so arrogant as to think they have a monopoly over the definition of being a Conservative.

The trouble is that the Left is providing soundbites and ammunition for the religious homophobes whom real Conservatives – those of us who value freedom, truth and basic decency – are gradually but successfully managing to disempower. That is not helping.

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:20pm

@Gazza….
      …..”real Conservatives – those of us who value freedom, truth and basic decency –” I hahahaha… I almost wet myself laughing at that line. Then I got violently sick. Self hating homophobic twit comes to mind Gazza!…..

1. Paddyswurds

I’m not convinced you are going to influence the views of the more mature and reflective posters on here.

What is very interesting is the level of personal anger and hostility being expressed on this comments blog: quite usual for PN comments.

It’s no wonder we as LGBT people have stored up a great deal of anger. We have a lot to feel justifiably angry about.

The problem comes when we discharge that anger by trying to make strangers feel unhappy, depressed or degraded by carefully-chosen insults over the web.

In my view, it is much better to control anger and to direct it at putting injustices right in a constructive and effective way. Disparaging our fellow LGBT folks, who have also suffered like us, does not seem the right way to do it.

1. @Gazza…
          …”Disparaging our fellow LGBT folks, who have also suffered like us, does not seem the right way to do it.”….. that’s all very laudable but when they join forces with the enemy they should expect any and all vitriol rightly aimed at them. If a soldier defected to the enemy in wartime he would be shot on sight. Make no mistake about it we are at war; war with the homophobes bigots and Uncle Toms….. especially those in the Law & Justice Homophobic Tory Party….

1. Great exposition of your liberalism, Paddyswurds.

10. Oh, and I think that co-opting the “Get over it” line with regards to political affiliation – when the term was originated in connection with LGBT to deal with real issues of discrimination, bigotry and hostility faced by (especially young) people – to be in spectacularly poor taste.

1. Aren’t you being a bit hypersensitive, Valksy?

We can’t lay claim to “Get over it” as an LGBT mantra, even if there has been a recent bus advert with those words.

I think that there is something to be learned about stereotyping in this whole discussion about LGBT Conservatives. *Some* Conservatives are certainly much more compassionate, progressive, self-sacrificing, generous, and pro-LGBT than *some* anti-Conservatives. Let’s not tar everyone with the same brush. As LGBT folks, that is something to learn from the way we ourselves have been treated.

1. The phrase “Get over it” in specific relation to LGBT people was chosen to express support for those facing serious and dangerous discrimination and hostility – especially vulnerable youth. To use it as a political gotcha is tacky (if I was feeling particularly hypersensitive, I would have said it was playing into the author’s apparent martyr complex).

1. Do I really now need to be very careful about using the phrase “Get over it” in future, because it has acquired a special status in connection with the bus ads?

I can’t get worked up about that in the slightest.

1. In general, no. In article about LGBT people, of specific LGBT interest, or on an LGBT website then perhaps.

Playing fast and loose with something that has been used for positivity and visibility is mean-spirited, self-serving and really rather rank.

11. Very well written!
    It was scummy Labour point scorers who used Birmingham Pride to attack the Tories with placards in the march reading “Never kissed a Tory” – i’m hardly surprised as you’re clearly immature and the Tories have more Lesbian, gay (and possibly transgender) MPs than other parties combined

Labour is the party for idiotic unsustainable spending, the privileged public sector and point scoring in inappropriate situations

12. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 10:59pm

Typical trannie , can’t make up his mind what he wants… either sexually OR politically. A self hating homophobe as far as i can see from the tripe he has contributed as “comment” . Watch this space …. we haven’t heard the last of this creep. There will be more jumping about,…. Lib Dems next or a better home might be the Democratic Unionist Party. Their bigotry and homophobia would suit this weirdo better methinks….cue Trannie screams of Transphobia….. Bring it on you Tory twat.

1. I suppose, Paddyswurds, that if you were posting under your real name, or if you were talking to Tara face-to-face, you would be much more civil.

Maybe it is worth reflecting for a moment on why that might be the case. Whether or not you are posting anonymously, and whether or not you are speaking to Tara face-to-face, she has feelings that can be hurt by cruel words directed at her personally. I wonder what you think can be gained by injuring someone’s feelings, rather than focusing only on facts and arguments.

If we as LGBT people are to get people to think objectively about equality issues, we need to model a reasonably high standard of behaviour and consideration ourselves.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 3 Oct 2012, 11:24pm

Totally agree. But even the calling to the Pope to bless same-sex couple in the Sistine Chapel will have most probably more success than this.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 4 Oct 2012, 4:12pm

I still hope very much, that one beautiful day ‘Pink news’ will block this disgusting post for ever. Because you are exactly like ‘Aiden’. Just gay.

2. Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 12:04am

@Gazza?…
        ….rest assured that I say what I think at all time and always have, be it in print, or face to face. I am a Gay liberal atheist who speaks as I see fit and if it were the norm to use ones name on this site I would have no problem with that. At 61 I am not afraid to speak my mind….

1. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 2:47pm

Mind?

You flatter yourself.

1. ,,,says the “expert”….

2. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 3:07pm

the irony a transphobic “gay liberal atheist”….lol

1. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 9:56pm

You wouldn’t know irony unless it came wrapped in the fabric of your sad delusion….

2. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:22pm

Its sad that bigots find time to even attack people on a LGBT News site and feel they have nothing better to say than attack someone based on their gender identity. As ive recieved death threats for years off groups like the BNP a few nasty comments by a arm chair bigot simply make me chuckle at how sad some peoples lives are that they feel they need to spread vile transphobia.

1. Respectfully, then you have no idea what this place has been like. That the people who own and run this website are in a constant battle with people who come here and attack and vilify and say the most appalling things about ALL of us. You aren’t the first, you won’t be the last. We stand our ground.

Consider though that there is still a culture of socially accepted anti-LGBT behaviour. This behaviour does not originate in a vacuum. An example – My generation, and their parents were taught that being LGBT was so awfully, so shameful, so wrong in every way that a law must be passed do those words were never spoken in school. Do you think perhaps that kind of attitude helped construct and shape the behaviour of people today against us?

Every time we are made to be lesser, inferior, demeaned or degraded by those in power under force of law, negativity becomes more engrained at a social level. Even internalised as you see here.

1. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:47pm

Valsky I am very much aware I was being polite and saying its sad…. because it is the level of abuse directed towards LGBT people online is dreadful although the abuse shows up the ignorant for who they are especially when they fill their comments with such hate and abusive context.

1. You seemed to be expressing surprise, as if startled that it was happening here. I am more surprised, in an open space like this, if anti-LGBT behaviour is not present to some degree.

There is something within the people that do this that gives them permission. For my late grandparents, they were anti-LGBT because in their lifetime it was completely illegal and perfectly legitimate and acceptable to be so. What about subsequent generations – what informs them, culturally, socially, personally, that it is all right to behave this way?

2. Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 12:12am

Valksey…
            …Hewitt has little gravitas to complain about perceived abuse on these threads and be a member of one of the worlds premier Homophobic and bigoted parties, the British Conservative party. They brought in the worlds first anti Gay law of the modern era section 28, ffs. Laws now being emulated in such places as Russia, Ukraine and Uganda….

3. Paddyswurds, you disgust me. If you’re representative of the Labour party in general then I will have nothing to do with them.

13. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Oct 2012, 10:59pm

I voted Tory for the first time in 2010 but I wouldn’t describe the party as progressive, not for the most part. Tory MP supporters of equal marriage are still in a substantial minority when compared to Labour and Liberal Democrats. My only hope is that enough of them will evolve and guarantee passage of equal marriage in Parliament with a comfortable majority.

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:29pm

Don’t hold your breath Robert…

2. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:26am

I guarentee that the majority of Conservative MPs will vote in favour of equal marriage.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Oct 2012, 1:09pm

I hope you’re right, Tara, I really do. If at least half of them would get on board, I’d be happy with that. Without sufficient numbers of them, we can’t succeed in getting equal marriage through parliament and then comes the final obstacle, the House of Lords.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:13pm

I have no doubt that before 2015 equal marriage will exist in the UK at least in regards to the civil context.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 8:52pm

I can only assume your comment got the thumbs down because the Labour trolls here are hoping and praying that a Tory driven proposal for equal marriage doesn’t pass through parliament.

Labour of course had upteen years to introduce equal marriage but as I have said before it was not a European equality requirement of the UK and therefore there was no incentive for Labour to introduce it.

David Cameron has now trapped the opposition into voting with the government on the issue or risk alienating the substantial gay vote it has. Its a fantastic bit of political maneuvering on his part – he wins gay votes it is does go through, but he needs the votes of other parties to achieve it. The main other parties have to support it or they lose vote.

I’m sure the vociferous attacks on you are from people that know they have been beaten.

2. How would that work exactly? They don’t and you do what for us?

14. What an utterly idiotic article.

The entire article is spent criticising Labour but fails to mention that vast numbers of Tory MP’s oppose equal civil rights (marriage) for LGBT people.

It does not address the utterly inexcusable fact that we do not have a specific timetable for marriage equality.

Thankfully it does not reference those wimps at LGBTory who never criticise the culture of bigotry rampant in so much of the party.

When will David Cameron live up to his specific pledge to introduce marriage equality.

Why is a Bill not appearing before parliament in the next couple of weeks?

1. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:30pm

ALL I can say is as ONE of the very few trans people involved in politics locally and nationally my “personal” experience has been that labour is full of hypocrisy. I suffered alot of personal transphobia which I have not experienced at all in the conservative party. I have found the conservative party less judgemental of me and more focused on my skills and what I bring to the table than my gender identitity and sexuality. Im not a box im a person and labour forgot that all to often!

1. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:40pm

Hard for Labour to know what you are when you have such a problem with it your self, First a straight man who thought , I think i’ll pretend to be a woman then a pretend woman who is still a straight man who wants to Phuc women so then you think you are a lesbian , then you join one political party and weren’t happy there because they recognised you for what you were, a self hating homophobe, then you do the ultimate betrayal and join the ultimate homophobic party, the Law & Justice Homophobic Tories. What next, the BNP or EDL fortunately the original Fascist party of Europe is now illegal or you would probably join that. I wonder how long til CallmeDave sees you for the creep you really are, Mr Hewitt…!

1. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:43pm

I think your own words have shown you up for what you are… you know the saying “give someone enough rope”…. Thank you.

1. Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 12:17am

@….?
            ….I know what I am and am perfectly happy with what I am, Mr Hewitt, unlike you….. I don’t need your homophobic Tory “rope” to know and say what I think you are.

2. @…?
            ……now you know what it is like for GLBs people over the years, as we endured similar and worse abuse form you new found friends at the Law & Justice Homophobic Tory party. Your “Uncle Tom” kow towing to those who consider you as disordered and unworthy of the rights afforded to the rest of society is appalling….. That you didn’t expect to be ridiculed says quite a lot about your judgement, but then that is a virtue with your Tory friends…

3. What a bitter & nasty person you are Paddywurds – absolute disgrace!

4. @W6_bloke…
            …i don’t believe in Santa Clause either…

2. You do realise that anecdotal evidence is always suspect. You personally have received negativity, and therefore project that negativity onto the whole party.

Does it not then seem paradoxical to you to try and scold those of us who have seen far worse – things that affect the whole nation, all of us, rather than each of us individually – and demand that we accept that the party is not really like that?

It’s late, forgive the muddled thinking. But you have bad experiences and blame the whole party (Labour). I have bad experiences and blame the whole party (Tory). Except the bad experiences I have had have been at a governmental and legislative level rather than personal and individual actions against me as a unique individual.

Your argument seems in conflict with itself. Can we blame a party for bad acts or not? What about the scope and scale of those bad acts?

3. So your PERSONAL experience of the Tories proves what exactly?

How does it justify the huge numbers of bigot Tory MP’s?
        How does it justify the inexcusable fact that we have yet to be given a specific timetable for marriage equality.

It’s sad that you have had a bad experience with Labour.

But using your personal experience with Labour to overlook the nasty , bigotted reality of the Tory Party, is, as I said utterly idiotic,.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 12:22pm

Proves that the people value you for more than just your sexuality and that actualy where it matters ie interacting with people and supporting people the Tories are far less biggoted than the Labour party where I faced abuse and pigeon holing simply for being Trans!

1. Why have you STILL not mentioned the disgraceful bigotry of over 200 Tory MP’s who will vote against LGBT civil rights when marriage equality comes to a vote????

Keep behaving like an ostrich there, Tara.

Your animus towards Labour has clearly damaged your critical faculties.

2. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:12pm

The MAJORITY of conservative MPs will vote to support equal marriage in parliament I am 100% sure of that fact!

1. How are you sure?

Please be specific in your reply. Most estimates reckon that barely half of Tory MP’s will support equality. Please explain why you know differently.

According to the Tories equal civil rights are a matter of ‘conscience’?

Both Labour and the LibDems will have a party whip in place for the vote.

Do you condemn the Tory Party for its opinion that equal civil rights are a matter of conscience?

Or are you going to continue behaving like an ostrich?

2. Sister Mary Clarence 4 Oct 2012, 8:55pm

Perhaps David you could be specific when you say ‘most estimates reckon that ….’.

Estimates are guesses … ‘most GUESSES reckon that …’

How can you ask someone to be specific when your opposing argument relies on guesses??

2. Paddyswurds 3 Oct 2012, 11:32pm

Because they never ever intended such a bill, dAVID… There is a better chance of the Queen becoming Pope in the next couple of weeks.

15. Tara Hewitt 3 Oct 2012, 11:42pm

Thanks for the kind comments off Some its important we value diversity including diverse political views. No party “owns” the LGBT agenda your sexuality or gender identity doesnt define your political views :)

1. I’m not sure I agree entirely with this.

In a society that is still very much patriarchal, and still very LGBT unfriendly (let’s say, not overtly homophobic, I think more of Britain than that, but not necessarily completely pro either) I feel very much tuned in to personal and social justice – To never let someone else feel as disenfranchised and powerless as I have felt. For standing up for those who have less, as people once stood up for me to make my life better than it would have been had they not.

And I associate those things with left leaning politics.

I hesitate to elaborate further, you’re not here for a political argument and I’m not in the mood for a fight.

16. I find these spats very amusing. Both Labour and the Conservatives are far, far too right-wing for my tastes. Neither understands the right way to manage the economy, both are far too cosy with bigoted religious interests and neither has a good record with LGBT issues, foreign policy or the environment. I would never consider voting for either.

I’m very disappointed with my usual choice – the Lib Dems – at the moment, for shoring up the sinister ambitions of the clueless Tory toffs and breaking their central campaign promises over tuition fees. But they’re still the only credible alternative to the Tories where I live, until a truly left-wing party like the Greens gets its act together.

But whether a party is accepting of LGBT people and what its policies on LGBT issues are constitute two rather separate things. And we cannot easily overlook the bigoted voting records – those are our evidence for how the party behaves, and much more convincing than empty plattitudes.

17. I thought it was a great article. She addressed arguments placed against the Tories and provided excellent counter-arguments, as well as some personal evidence as to why she believes labour isn’t all it says it is. Although the Tories may be previously known for affairs which might not suggest other wise, Cameron does believe in equality. It’s 2012, and the party has accepted that there are large parts of the country, gay, trans, etc who deserve equality too, and it recognises this. To be honest, there’s all this bickering in the comments and snide remarks, and we all want one thing. The best for the country. We all want a fair Britain, where everyone is treated well under an efficient government. Now no matter what party you’re in, as long as we all have that goal, we should respect each others views, and if you want to challenge somebody’s opinion, do it professionally. Don’t have a dig at personal matters, because it shows you can’t hold a concrete argument. Superb work Tara! Xo

1. .@Beth…
      …..There is simply no proof whatever that CallmeDave believes in equality other than his weasel words. He has flimflammed since before the last election about his support for GLB rights and equality, but so far all we have had is an insulting “consultation” on whether or not Gay people are worthy of equality. No human being should have to endure a debate on whether or not he/she is worthy of the rights and equalities the rest of society enjoys….. It is time he put up or shut up. The time for action is now not some vague timeline in the future…..

1. Paddyswurds

So far, you have shown that you didn’t know the consultation was about *how* to implement equal marriage, and not about *whether* to. You have also shown that you did not know about the rights conferred on LGBT couples by civil partnerships, which are only added to by virtue of the possibility of applying the term “marriage” to LGBT unions once equal marriage becomes law.

A pattern has emerged.

The pattern is that your information input pipe is on a slow drip. You simply do not attentively read what is going on in the LGBT world, and pay little heed to other people’s opinions or arguments. By contrast, your verbal output pipe is on full gush: a torrent of solipsistic, ill-informed verbiage. It is all about what Paddyswurds thinks and wants to ram down people’s throats.

Try reading about what is going on in the world, and trying to put yourself in others’ shoes. The world is not all about you. Perhaps you could learn something important if you listen. And think.

2. But she did not reference the following:

1. The 200 Tory MP’s likely to vote against equality.
      2. The belief by Cameron that marriage equality is a ‘conscience’ issue, so there will be no whip on a vote.
      3. The lack of a specific timetable for marriage equality, when no excuse exists for it not being ready.

It’s a ridiculous article.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:10pm

First prime minister introducing equal marriage to a legislative time table is a conservative im sorry if that shatters your sad little dillusions about the conservative party but its true no matter what bluster and clutching at straws attacks you put. You dont have to vote tory for this reason political views are not based on your sexuality however this constantly pushing of outdated purile view that conservaties are all homophobic anti equality people has to stop!

1. Good grief. People in the Labour party were rude to you, you blame the whole party. You (a Tory) are rude to someone..and expect them to agree with you when you are engaging in exactly the same kind of behaviour that drove you away from the party in the first place!

Do you really not realise that? If you’re going to base your worldview and political affiliation based on bad acts of individuals then you had better learn to take the high road in a hurry or it comes off reeking of hypocrisy.

(And no, I don’t have to do this, I haven’t been asserting bad acts of individuals as my political raison d’etre – I’d rather look at what is on the legislative record and concentrate on facts)

1. Sister Mary Clarance 4 Oct 2012, 9:12pm

To be fair though Valksy there seems to be a culture of hostility from Labour Party supporters on here.

Take Paddywurds for example, some of his comments directed towards Tara have been just disgusting and its okay to do that because she supports the Tory party?

She hasn’t shot someone, she hasn’t mowed down some kiddie in a car when she was drunk. She has simply indicated that she has a different political view from him.

I’m also guessing he’s too stupid to realise that ‘Uncle Tom is a racist term – but frankly that pales against what he has been saying to Tara.

2. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 9:37pm

Uncle Tom is not a racist term and that is the second time you have shown your ignorance by saying so. Uncle Tom merely denotes someone who has joined or sided with the enemy. Grant you, it was first used to vilify black people who sided with their slave masters against their own people and often ratted up on them so that their fellow slaves were beaten to a pulp or even murdered,. Do not accuse me of racism You ignorant hillbiilly, especially when you have no idea of what you speak…. Get someone to read this to you before you make a fool of yourself again…http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

3. Sister Mary Clarance 5 Oct 2012, 3:24am

Paddyswurds – the day I have to rely on Wikipedia for guidance on anything please someone take me out and shoot me.

However, towards the bottom of the page you yourself have highlighted under the heading ‘See also’ if you follow the link ‘List of ethnic slurs’, it does mention ‘Uncle Tom’.

I accept in hindsight that in your case it maybe that you are just to dumb to know what you’re talking about rather than that you’re actually using a racial slur.

Please accept my apologies for crediting your with some intelligence.

4. ...Paddyswurds 5 Oct 2012, 2:14pm

As Mr Hewitt is not Black or “ethnic” you can hardly claim that I was being Racist toward him… If you have a problem with Wikipedia, then I can find you a myriad of other sources that say exactly the same thing….

18. Cardinal Capone 4 Oct 2012, 2:08am

Thanks for an interesting article and perspective. Impressive bio in the comment at the top too. I wish PN had proof read it before posting though.

It’s good to see the parties arguing over which is the most friendly, but they will all be judged by results !

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:23am

Im sorry Im dyslexic :) I proof read as much as I can but sorry for any errors that got through :)

Thanks for your kind comments and hope you will take a look at my blog all I aim to do is make the world a slightly better place little by little every day thats my passion :)

1. Cardinal Capone 4 Oct 2012, 2:59am

No one can argue with that, ideally that’s what we all want. Good luck with it all.

19. I hope to see Tara on Monday at 12:30 Picketting the Bigots that still seem to infest her party du jour. http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2012/09/500635.html

1. Jeremy

I bet Tara can’t wait to join your demo against, as you put it, “the bigots that still seem to infest” the Conservative Party. I am sure you and your colleagues will make her feel very welcome.

What took me some time to learn was that the political and the personal are not two separate, unconnected domains. At least as important as a person’s political views (and whether or not they are misrepresented by others) is the question of how he treats other people in his everyday life.

In my experience, people on the Left, despite the fine, progressive policies espoused, are generally no kinder or more generous to their fellow humans in their everyday, personal lives, than people on the Right.

Reading through this comments blog provides some evidence of that.

20. Where’s Cameron’s Out 4 Marriage video then?

1. We do NOT need an Out4Marriage video from Cameron.

He actually is in a position to do something to grant equal civil rights this very moment.

Yet he refuses point blank to give a specific timetable for equality.

A video without a specific legislative timetable for equality is a meaningless PR move.

21. As much as I would like that all people would be atheists, pacifists, supporters of a strong welfare state … as a liberal (and a supporter of equal human rights) I don’t urge (force) people to have the same (political) views and/or opinions I have.
    But that doesn’t mean I don’t polemicize with other people’s views, question their arguments …or simply accept their unsubstantiated opinions as my own or even slightly change my opinion because of their’s radically different one.
    That’s the point – in my opinion – on being a liberal: I might be even “morally” shocked by other people’s views and opinions – as they might be with my own no matter how accurate and substantiated with facts I believe it is – but still have to respect their right to have their own opinions. As they have to respect mine.
    Regardig the question of sexuality and political preferences. Being gay or trans doesn’t mean being an transgresive atheist social welfare…That’s a fact I don’t like but have to get over it.

22. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 8:47am

It’s nice to see a rebuke to that lefty-pandering diatribe the other week.

It’s also interesting to note the difference in attitudes on here, with numerous bigoted faggots (baggots?) doing precisely what the author claimed, and continuing to pigeon-hole and label people in order to quantify and manage some approach.

It seems many of the usual suspects cannot have a civil adult political debate without having to resort to spiteful insults at their own kind.

1. Cardinal Capone 4 Oct 2012, 12:02pm

Good points but spoilt by your own similar insulting jargon.

2. This ‘article’ fails to mention the inexcusable lack of a specific legislative timetable for marriage equality.

Seeing as the Tories are in power, surely we need an answer as to why there is currently zero movement on equal civil rights.

The timewasting consultation is over, there are no valid excuses for further delays.

1. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 9:11pm

Oh please get off your one-track record.
        They will sort it out when they are ready.
        I would much rather wait for a complete and comprehensive change in legislation than the half-baked, rushed through compromising fudge that Labour came up with (namely Civil Partnerships.)

23. Of course being gay and Tory is not an oxymoron, a significant minority, if not a majority, of male tory members are closeted gays…

24. I suppose we are soon going to get some more of this ill-written party-political PR, but this time from the Orange Bookers.
    The General Election is not until 2015, PN (though this ghastly government may unravel before then). It’s all a bit of a waste of space.

25. Lets face it-the Conservative is eager to ditch the equal marriage policy any way they can. Patrick McLoughlin is asssuring MP’s that it will be “kicked into the long grass”-and I fully expect this to happen. Certainly no conservative MP’s will be against that.

remember tara that ONLY 28 Conservative MP’s voted in favour of the equal treatment in goods and services law-whilst nearly 100 of them voted AGAINST us being entitled to equal treatment! You are living in cloud-cuckoo land!

1. Cardinal Capone 4 Oct 2012, 12:09pm

You’re being unduly pessimistic. Which is what opponents want. We have already won the arguments, it’s just a question of timing.

2. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 12:28pm

I’m giving you my personal experience as one of the few transgender people in politics, having been in both labour and the tories I have been more supported in the conservative party and suffered no transphobia at all however in Labour I was constantly fighting not to be pigeon holed and suffered alot of transphobia and abuse.

Im a Diversity Consultant and a deaf charity trustee I work every day to make the world a fairer and more inclusive place. Now if I shatter your illusion that all tories are evil anti equality demons living in victorian England Im sorry, but the reality is politics have changed as have parties and I am very confident that the majority of conservative MPs will support Equal Marriage in parliament. You have to remember its a conservative lead government that introduced the first transgender action plan in the UK and its a conservative lead government that has introduced legislative time table for equal marrige. 13 years of a labour government didnt!

1. You’re deaf too? How can you be so sure Tories aren’t talking adversely behind your back?

26. They are using you as a mascot, dear. Don’t be fooled. The heart of the party is still full of old bigots. I’m sure you are wise to keep quiet about who you are when you meet people in the party. Most will be laughing behind your back. It is still too early to blindly trust the party that waged a vicious war on us in the 1980s. I will wait for them to actually do something. All we have so far are words – and we wouldn’t even have those without the Lib Dem influence. For a political career I would recommend a little less naiveté.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 12:33pm

No Offence Cal but dont tell me what “I” am being used for I am not some naive little school girl!

Labour used me as a mascot pigeon holed me and focused on me being trans and bisexual. The conservatives dont care about that all its about is how hard you work the skills you bring and your aspirations!

I can also assure you that my “friends” in the tories are not laughing behind my back or telling me about others laughing behind my back however my friends in labour used to reguarly tell me about labour people laughing at me….

Also I am a Tory myself I am one of these so called bigots you label us as. Yet I spend my day working as a Diversity manager and Diversity Consultant so your stereotypical simplistic observations are simply unfounded and false.

1. But your bio, posted at the top, shows that you yourself have focused on – embraced and made a career off – exactly those same pigeon holes that now seem to so frustrate you!

And it is naive to base politics off the bad acts of the few when there is a whole legislative record, and voting data, to look at. I hate to p!ss on your cornflakes but good grief you are NOT the centre of the universe.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 2:02pm

How did you figure that out? Im a trustee for a deaf charity, Ive done ethical legal work, Im a Diversity consultant NOT a “trans consultant” its specialising in discrimination law and best practice thats a skill nothing to do with group you come from. And I am a local government campaign co ordinator again nothing to do with my gender or sexuality so please stop trying to impose your own boxes on me!

1. LGBT rep, speaking on gender and sexuality issues – those are directly related to the “boxes” you disdain.

And can you say, hand on heart, that you would focus on diversity issues if you did not have first hand experience?

I really don’t think many will believe you if you claim that you would have in your formative years, leading in to your profession now.

2. Sister Mary Clarance 4 Oct 2012, 9:29pm

No point arguing with him Tara, he knows more about you that you do … obviously

3. @Sister Mary Clarence Why do you assume he/him? And I am only repeating what I can already see noted here in this debate thread. To disdain LGBT as boxes to be put in, after clearly and concisely expressing how those boxes were meaningful in the past – from activities described earlier – I have trouble making sense of that. The boxes were fine, until they weren’t.

2. @…
        …..”The conservatives dont care about that all its about is how hard you work the skills you bring and your aspirations!” you keep telling yourself that but it won’t change reality, just like your castration fetish won’t make you a woman. What you are is a stooge and an “uncle Tom” being used by a shameless homophobic bigoted Tory party. What exactly are your aspirations, Hewitt? No one can ever trust a turn coat and you are the ultimate turn coat!

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 4:30pm

So this is the type of abuse I recieved in labour off certain transphobic people (not all members by any means) Yet ive recieved no abuse like this at all in the conservative party…. If all you can do is call me not a proper women and attack my medical history then your actual points have the value of a 15 yr old jellied eel…..

27. Ms Hewitt sounds like the so called “Gay christians” who bleat about changing their hateful cult from within whilst lending complicit support.

28. Cameron is the ONLY main party leader who has NOT recorded and Out4Marriage Video-and he is the ONLY main party leader allowing his MP’s a free vote on how they will vote in the parliamentary debate-if it ever happens.

Nuff said!

1. David Cameron losing the plot in Gay Times interview:
      Youtube: watch?v=dBlDfp85gP8

2. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 1:59pm

He is the only Prime minister from any party to introduce equal marriage EVER onto the legislative time table!

(Nuff said)

1. He has introduced nothing and has insulted gay people by his “consultation” on whether or not gay people are worthy of equality with the rest of society. If, as you say, he has introduced marriage equality onto the legislative timetable, where and when is it happening?.
        You are already a Tory by your lies and disingenuity. You have found your spiritual home a CCO it would seem…… Labour must be so glad to see the back of you!

2. Its NOT on the legislative timetable! I’m afraid his attempts at “modernising” his party are having no effect| They are still “the same old tories”. Don’t hold your breath that equal civil marriage will EVER see the light of day under that shower!

1. Sister Mary Clarance 5 Oct 2012, 2:32am

And if it does ‘see the light of day’, you’ll post an apology on here I trust

29. Tara – are you a member of LGBTory.

We all know what a useless waste of space that group is, too cowardly to even acknowledge the extremist bigotry of so many Tory Party members.

If she is a member of that group then it may explain her foolish loyalty to a party which hates her.

1. dAVID

You seem to have such hatred for LGBTory.

How about the six Labour MPs who have declared they intend to vote against equal marriage? Have you condemned them yet using the kind of language that is used to craft your most scathing criticisms? Do you know whether LGBT Labour has condemned them to the same degree you would expect LGBTory to condemn the Tory MP counterparts?

1. 6 Labour MP’s

200 Tory MP;s.

United against equality.

30. PN folks – Be advised, comments are being quoted in other social media locations. The comments, while admittedly negative, were all by ONE person but are ALL being attributed to “labour supporters” here at Pink News.

You don’t want to say that is four quotes from one voice, wanting to try and blame it on a political party instead, as if there are numerous people making anti statements here?

Do you really think it appropriate to try and apportion blame for one poster on all left leaning posters here? Because that is what you are most fallaciously and dishonestly trying to portray.

Bloody shame on you. Shame.

1. Tara Hewitt 4 Oct 2012, 5:15pm

Its nice to see we have such dedicated trolls here that they feel they need to stalk me! YES I have tweeted about a “labour supporter” who on here has used transphobic and abusive language to attack me if you think there is something wrong condeming transphobic behaviour I would suggest your on the wrong news site as this is one dedicated to promoting LGBT issues not supporting transphobia. Otherwise please grow up and get a new hobby being a troll is rather pathetic!

1. Get over yourself. Stalk? You are on bloody social media! I had a feeling you would be doing exactly what I saw you doing – and guess what, I was right!

And you STILL haven’t learned the high road I mentioned.

You put up 4 quotes, labelling each one “labour supporter”, giving the false impression that anti behaviour was rife here when it bloody well is not.

1. Sister Mary Clarance 4 Oct 2012, 9:20pm

Do you have a view you would like to share on any of his personal attacks on Tara and the language he is using?

1. Look, when it got really bad here earlier in the year with troll after troll piling in and just ripping this part of the site to pieces we learned that the best means of dealing was to use the report option, thumb them down and not give them the attention that they are baying for. The board was getting hopelessly spammed otherwise, conversations were getting deleted so people seemed to be talking to themselves, it was a depressing bloody mess.

Flame wars online with trolls is a waste of time. You ignore them, you report them to the website if you happen to encounter them first (rather than spamming the people who run the place with contacts), you downrate and you move on.

From the earliest newsgroups the rule was always – Don’t feed the trolls. The best way to silence them is to cut off the oxygen of attention – given that trolls don’t distinguish good from bad.

The community has downrated to make its opinion clear without engaging that attention and making it fulfilling.

2. The community has expressed it’s opinion. I’m sure plenty of people auto-downrank on sight.

Getting into a flamewar on a website is a pointless endeavour – it gives him the opportunity and provocation to repeat the same offensive remarks over and over again. Is this better or worse? I have no idea, and neither do you, what the personal consequence of escalation would be.

He certainly is not open to education on the matter. I don’t see anything personally threatening and public order offences over websites are still very much under debate (or seems to be)

So what purpose is actually served? Being told people don’t agree with him or approve of him? Seems that way already. To show community support? By engaging in an act that has the foreseeable outcome of subjecting the same person to another litany of abuse, given that none of us have actual power here? Is that better or worse? Can you tell me?

Or should we not feed the trolls? Tried & tested over years.

3. Sod it, first post didn’t show up…

[Sigh]

4. Sister Mary Clarance 5 Oct 2012, 2:29am

Okay Valksy read through all of that and to cut a long posting short you don’t see anything personally threatening …. which doesn’t sound like you’re saying you think there was anything wrong with the personal attack on Tara.

I actually think there was something very wrong with the personal attack on here. I thought it was deeply offensive and it hacks me off no end when spineless little no ones think its okay to hid behind a computer screen and start laying into strangers saying things they wouldn’t dare come even close to if they were face to face. Very courageous.

I had a similar problem on here a few years ago with some little idiot who had a problem with me being black who insisted I should declare it whenever I posted so people were aware.

You were kicking off about Tara labeling all Labour supporters together but none of you have broken ranks and condemned Paddy

5. No, nothing that would constitute a threat – as in an immediate cause to anticipate harm or injury, you know, something actionable under law. I would have no problem with him, or any of the other trolls, falling foul of public order offences but that seems unlikely – Perhaps if guidelines were published and enforced some of the reprehensible behaviour would stop.

But I say again – Can you say for sure that engaging in a flame war with a troll serves any purpose other than giving said troll personal satisfaction? He knows people don’t approve – he doesn’t care. We have no power over him and troll-baiting would just cause a litany of further abusive behaviour. Is that the right thing to do or not?

I have no power here other than via tools provided, neither do you. If you think troll-baiting makes sense…I think you are very much in error and a little naive.

6. Sister Mary Clarance 5 Oct 2012, 5:40pm

Valksy, if you go back to my original comment I didn’t ask anything about threats, I referred to ‘abuse’ and a ‘personal attack’. Why you have morphed this into commenting about threats I do not know (although I can guess)

My statement was:

“The problem is though Valksy I haven’t seen any of the other Labour supporters condemning the abuse.”

Your rather cumbersome misunderstanding of what I was saying speaks reams about your position in regard to such personal attacks.

So really in your posting where you stated, “giving the false impression that anti behaviour was rife here when it bloody well is not.” is utterly vacuous.

You don’t condemn the abuse and the language that Paddywurds has been using towards Tara, so why wouldn’t we think you condone it – it seems fairly clear to me that you do, and therefore you are peas in a pod as far as I’m concerned.

In light of that, how you think you have the right to preach to others on here, well, its just laughable.

7. And I ask you AGAIN why do you think starting a flame war is the best solution? Do you think it gives trolls anything other than the engagement that they seek? Is it appropriate to potentially expose the same target to a protracted and consistent assault or not? Or, as a community, is the better option a persistent and consistent downranking and shunning of that behaviour so it does not perpetuate?

These behaviours are as old as the bloody internet. Pending proper legal guidance – there is no action we can actually have here other than using the tools provided.

You think that engaging in combat in a website is helpful? I strongly disagree. The community HAS made its beliefs and censure entirely obvious

I still think you are incredibly naive.

2. Almost as bad as being a homophobic Tory troll and liar. I notice you didn’t address my questions above about when, as you said, Callmedave introduced Marriage equality into legislation? All he has done is insult Gay people by his shameful “consultation” on whether British gays are worthy of equality with the rest of society. But I suppose now that you are a homophobic Tory twit, answering straight questions is beyond your “remit” Oh and BTW I am NOT a British voter so am not a Labour member or “supporter” …..

2. And I’m done with this thread. I’m not in the mood to be dishonestly associated with transphobic behaviour by virtue of my lefty-ness, nor do I want to be an unwilling attendee at an online pity party.

I believe I suggested that you learn in a hurry to take the high road?

Shall I take your personal behaviour in misattributing multiple posts to “labour supporters” rather than “lone online nutbar” as sufficient cause to label each and every Tory a dishonest, obfuscating and self-indulgent fool?

Stop just talking the talk, learn to walk the bloody walk as well.

31. Tara – a number of questions for you.

1. Do you condemn the decision by Cameron to regard equal civil rights for LGBT people as a matter of ‘conscience’

2. Seeing as the Tories are in power and Cameron claims to support equality, why is there still no specific legislative timetable for marriage equality.

3. Do you concede that without Labour support there is no way on earth that marriage equality will become a reality because of the huge number of bigot Tory MP’s.

Or are you simply going to continue burying your head in the sand on the matter of the Tory party bigotry because you personally had a bad time in Labour?

1. @dAVID…
      …surely you don’t expect truthful answers from this Tory Troll, Hewitt, who was tasked with the job of trying to flim flam Gay voters on this Site. Hewitt is an Uncle Tom of the lowest kind who claims to be one of us but turns coat and joins those who consider us beneath equality with the rest of society and insults gay citizens with a “consultation” to decide whether or not you are worthy of equality….

1. Oh I know.

It’s just worth pointing out that none of these relevant questions were addressed in her article.

Her article screams ‘Labour was mean to me, so now I’m a Tory, even though I am unable to give ANY evidence that the Tory Party has changed its spots.

2. Paddyswurds

“joins those who consider us beneath equality with the rest of society and insults gay citizens with a “consultation” to decide whether or not you are worthy of equality….”

Did you really not know that the consultation, as stressed again and again, was about the “how” of implementation, and not the “whether”? This is the very reason why the religious opponents are so angry: they wanted a consultation on “whether”.

The Conservative Govt is damned if it does, and damned if it doesn’t, and has its policies misrepresented when they don’t seem evil enough to fit in with the prejudices of parts of the Left.

Attack Tory policies if you wish, and if you are prepared to have a proper debate. But please attack policies that exist, rather than imaginary straw man ones that fit in with how you would like Tory bogeymen to be.

32. Samuel B. 4 Oct 2012, 6:35pm

I think I will respectfully decline from contributing to this debate.

It’s on fire already!!!!

1. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 9:16pm

What a cop out!
      All these lefties need a bit of perspective.

1. LOL!!!

Go get ‘em Spanner!! :)

33. A little humility from you Tara wouldn’t have gone a miss.

Your party viciously fought against any kind of equality for gay people for so long, you can’t expect people to just forgive and forget as simply as that.

I still remember Margaret Thatcher’s astonished indignation when she said at conference that “Children who need to be taught to respect traditional moral values are being taught that they have an inalienable right to be gay”.

Sorry, but if the Tories woeful economic and social policies weren’t bad enough to begin with, that woman turned me off the Tories for good.

34. ACT UP LONDON + +.+ + 4 Oct 2012, 7:55pm

After declaring “weve.been upfront and honest” on aids charity ukcs website would.the rich gay tories running crusaid like to petsonally collect the email “pain n suffering to alot of people get another job” and collect the compromise agreement but can i keep the £5,000 hush money from 6 months before yr ‘upfront and honest” statement to the disabled ! ! !
    Thanks do hurry up trustees :-)

35. bill Cort 4 Oct 2012, 9:03pm

I was born Gay, Hard work and intelligent experience led me to believe that the only way the planet will survive is through socialism. You were born gay and chose to ignore the wonderful opportunity it offered. you chose selfishness and self interest instead. I will never “get over”
    Toryism ( or clause 28) I’ve spent over 50 years of my adult life fighting it,and its dire consequences, and will fight it till my dying breath,as well as continuing to try to enlighten those too selfish to see.

1. Spanner1960 4 Oct 2012, 9:15pm

Show me a gay man and I will show you a selfish one.
      Most “socialists” just like to give the apparent veneer that they are helping everybody else whilst they feather their own nests.

Tory’s may not be the perfect political statement, but at least if they stab you, they do it between your eyes, and not in the back when you aren’t looking.

1. There is one long serving MP who has consistently claimed less in expenses than any other MP (except last year, he came second).
        The Old Labour dinosaur, Dennis Skinner. Like or loath his politics, he livens the House up, and shakes the cobweb-draped “customs and traditions” to their core.

2. Sister Mary Clarance 4 Oct 2012, 9:16pm

So Bill do you honestly believe that the Labour Party still holds dear those values you bought into all those years ago?

Labour has changed. I suspect that there are more than a few people now voting Conservative that would still be voting Labour if Labour actually stood for want it did years ago.

36. Nice to see a balance to the recent Labour article – and good to see it written in a less patronising tone than that Comment!

1. I quickly scanned this thread to see if anyone apologized for their hysterical “PN is a propaganda sheet for the lefties” rants following that article.
      Iris, your post was the last I read and the first to mention it. And yes, it is good to see a balancing article.

37. de Villiers 5 Oct 2012, 12:16am

Surprise – someone on the right writes an article and all the nasties come to give them a kicking – Dave North, Valsky, Paddy.

1. Paddy stepped over the line, as he often does, and the community moderated him as best we could. None of us here have any power beyond the report button.

If you think anything else here constitutes a “kicking” then you have a very precious existence. If someone should stand up on a soapbox, of their own volition, they need to be prepared for the simple fact that there will be people in the audience who will not agree with them. Anyone not knowing that has no business in politics, or is likely to have a difficult wake-up call.

Did I call Tara out? Yeah. Cross-posting – especially in a manner that is arguably misleading and misrepresentative of the community (which is NOT smothered in left-wing transphobia – indeed I can think of one other problematic poster and she is American and happily hasn’t been around recently) – is often frowned upon. It’s bad form.

And religion and politics are two subjects known to raise passions. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.

2. de Villiers 5 Oct 2012, 2:43am

Perhaps an existence you refer to as “precious” is better described as “mannered”.

1. Oh, I’ll keep that in mind the next time some festering rag like the Daily Mail runs a gay-baiting story and thousands of bigots pour onto their comments to blather on about how we are all terrible criminal predatory sinners and every other damned slander I have heard for more years than I care to consider.

Are they mannered?

Those who turn the other cheek just get slapped again and those who lie down as doormats get stepped on. So spare me your passive-aggressive bleating over “manners”.

2. de Villiers 5 Oct 2012, 5:59pm

It’s funny that the people to whom you refer posting on the Daily Mail sites seem to have the same personality as you.

1. Oh such nonsense. What I describe on the Daily Mail is part and parcel of the socially-acceptable homophobia that is pervasive in society and which enables and grants permission to those who engage in actual acts of aggression, hostility and violence against us.

If you REALLY don’t understand this then you truly are a delusional apologist of the worst order.

2. de Villiers 6 Oct 2012, 3:58pm

The nastiness of one’s character can attach to any cause; homophobia or any other march. You share with the frothing posters to the Daily Mail the same aggression and self centred vanity.

38. Tara, you seem to be a bitter trans-woman, who has enormously and personally benefited from the Labour government, and now want to deny the same benefits to other people just like you. Shame on you. Go get some therapy to discover what lies behind your bitter self. The Tories are ignoring and will ignore your cries for help, and deep down you know that.

1. ...Paddyswurds 6 Oct 2012, 12:22pm

Well put Beberts. something i have been trying, rather crudely i admit, , throughout the thread….

2. de Villiers 6 Oct 2012, 3:59pm

Whereas you beberts are just bitter.

39. Alex MacDonald 8 Oct 2012, 12:29pm

Ok, if you’re going suggest homophobia in the old labour party, that is undeniable, BUT, all the progressive legislation in favour of the LGBTI community that has come into force in the 20th century, has been driven by Labour, including repeal of sodomy laws, repeal of section 28, civil partnerships etc.

Simply put, Labour does have a good track record on gay rights compared to the other parties, even in the old days, where as the Tories have been voting against gay legislation for decades and continue to do so.

So sorry, you’re just a token to throw to the progressives. If I were you I would dump the Tories and join the free market right-wing of the Lib Dems…

40. Tara Hewitt will advocate any view as long as theres a job in it for her! I have no respect for this woman what so ever!

Amazing how you can be a ‘proud tory’ after years of bashing them and banging on about how progressive labour was when she was involved!

41. Stephen Mole 5 Oct 2013, 6:51pm

What I don’t understand is people that seem to change political sides on one issue. I am left not because I am gay, but because a fair society matters to me. We should work cohesively, the better able to help the least able. What do we get with the Tories? Every day brings benefit cuts, the poor have their backs more and more against the wall, the bedroom tax, cutting of benefits for the under 26s, zero hours contracts, NHS lists being sold off. The list is too long to go into. There are LGBT tories and LGBT socialists but I fail to see hw sexuality alone (seemingly) can make one change sides. Attention seeking behaviour I call it.