Chick-fil-A boss: We support ‘Biblical families’

1. Does he mean paranoid schizophrenics like Abraham? Who heard voices and nearly murdered his own son?

What about Noah and his brood and all their seething acts of incest?

Or Solomon, his 700 wives and 300 concubines?

Basing your life on a stupid fairy tale, especially when you seem to have never read the cursed thing, is ridiculous.

1. Techiechick 3 Oct 2012, 7:18pm

well said.

2. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point out in the comments that “biblical” families include such hilarious things. I guessed at maybe comment 3 or 4, but it’s refreshing to see it right there at the top.

3. Let’s not forget about Lot – married to a pillar of salt then date raped by BOTH of his daughters on consecutive nights. You know, cuz that’s preferable to what was going on in Sodom and Gomorrah at the time. Now, I’m hoping one of the the gay Christians can help me here: was the rap in this context acceptable because it happened within the family? Or is all rape between members of the opposite sex pleasing to God?

1. technically, he married a woman.. who was later turned to a pillar of salt.
        and his daughters weren’t raped, nor was he raped by them (your phrasing is a tiny bit peculiar and seems to imply that Lot himself was raped by his daughters). Lot DID offer up his daughters to the crowd… but it would seem they weren’t interested, having more of a hard-on for angel butt.

Just saying, you know. If you’re going to get snarky and make fun of it, at least get the basics right. I don’t mind. I’m the last one who’s going to defend the Old Testament. It’s full of the worst monstrosities imaginable.

1. The daughters got him so drunk on wine that he didn’t know what he was doing then had sex with him. What is that if not rape?

2. Someone needs to read the bible, there’s more to the story than the fundie freaks want people to know about.

4. I also eagerly await the news that Mr Cathy has funded a campaign to reinstate the God-given law that if a man dies without child then his next oldest brother must marry his wife and get a son on her to be his brother’s heir before airing any of “his own” children. If the brother refuses to marry the widow then she must spit in his face and take off one of his sandals and go to the city gate and proclaim “this is my husband’s brother with only one sandal. That’s at least one principle of biblical marriages that I think we can all get behind. Who’s with me?

5. Its a bit unfair to presume stuff about christians. Not all of them are the same. Some of them are good, honest people, who dont have any problems with gay people. The christians i know are some of the most tolerable. One of them is gay, and a priest. Dont presume all of them are idiots who are bigoted xx

1. I think the only blanket statement is that the whole thing is built upon a stupid fairy tale. And I can say that because it has all kinds of talking animals and magic tricks and scientific bunk (is it any wonder that the scientific knowledge recorded reflected the knowledge of the people at the time rather than…you know…the actual truth)

And that is without even including the mayhem, genocide, carnage and psychopathy – the most wretched acts of barbarism and sadism and cruelty and general utter utter insanity.

Is it any wonder that priest classes preferred to filter knowledge of the bible through managed sermons rather than let people read it for themselves?

I would contend that people who identify themselves as christians are good people in spite of their religion, not because of it.

1. “I would contend that people who identify themselves as christians are good people in spite of their religion, not because of it”

Well said.

6. Believe me, that’s EXACTLY what Dan Cathy means, @Valksy.

7. Or the delightful patriarch Jacob, with his 12 sons by his 2 wives (sisters) and their 2 servant women, and possibly an additional daughter who barely rates a mention. Such a superb example to model our modern lives on …

8. Bravo !!!

9. Har Davids 4 Oct 2012, 11:38am

Biblical familes: killing your wife after finding out she’s not a virgin, your kids if they give you cheek, your neighbour if he works on the Sabbath. We could go on and on for cherry-picking Dan, but why bother? Some human beings don’t deserve to be called that, we’re supposed to be smartest animal on the planet!!

1. floridahank 4 Oct 2012, 9:42pm

Have you ever read the NT? Tell me where Jesus Christ ever talked about murdering His fellow man, accepting incestual relationships?
        If you weren’t so ignorant about the entire Holy Bible, you would not be simply referring to the OT which had laws strictly for the Jewish people which was viewed entirely different when God came in the form of Jeus Christ and founded a new way to look at sinful mankind and his repentence — which you obviously cannot conceive because you are still focused on the OT. You wont, but to get the entire picture of how evil and sinful man is, you must read/study the Holy Bible in its entirety not simply cherry-pick paragraphs to rationize your own behavior.

1. “You wont, but to get the entire picture of how evil and sinful man is, you must read/study the Holy Bible in its entirety not simply cherry-pick paragraphs to rationize your own behavior.”

Not just man, Hank. God sanctions or indeed orders the murder of many men, women and children in the bible. Is that OK?

2. That Matt 3 Oct 2012, 7:20pm

They say that beauty is skin deep. In this case, ugliness isn’t.

Either way, even if you don’t like homosexuality and you think that God doesn’t care about same-sex marriages (those imaginary friends sure are opinionated, after all), that’s not a reason for banning them, since it clearly doesn’t harm anybody in the slightest.

This man is nothing but a horrid, filthy bigot and he should be ashamed to call himself a christian.

1. floridahank 4 Oct 2012, 9:53pm

Can you justify in the progress of mankind , why there is homosecuality? What good does such uncommon behavior serve mankind? IIf you came up through the ranks of evolution, where in the process does it show that homosexuality is essential to enlightening mankind? Does it show itself in nature? Where does showing deviancy advance nature? I don’t see where animals get any benefit from homosexual behavior. So why in the picture of evolution should human homosexuality play a positive role?

1. Where does old age play a postive role? Why don’t people just drop dead when they can’t procreate? You well know that having children isn’t the only thing human beings have to offer – wisdom, care of others’ children, voluntary work, support, compassion for others, hard work for the benefit of society, etc etc etc.

Ignoring the fact that LGBT people can and DO have children, even if they didn’t, they could offer excellent support as aunts, uncles etc and not be ‘hampered’ by their own children (that’s one evolutionary reason I’ve seen suggested – the ‘eternal uncle/aunt’ with no children to distract their attention they can support the COMMUNITY’s children).

(and I thought you didn’t believe in evolution ;) )

3. Ah, yes. These folks and their copyright on ‘families’.
    I wonder what they would think of an unmarried teenage mother who claimed that an angel had told her that her baby was fathered by an invisible spirit who in effect had cuckolded her future husband?
    Just a minute, where have I heard that before….?

4. OH, he supports “biblical families”. Great then I’ll take 700 brides and 300 concubines and he’ll support me. Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Ah, so presumably he is in favour of non virgin brides being stoned to death then? Or is he just cherry picking? Surely not?

6. Biblical families are welcome to eat their nasty kak.

7. Mumbo Jumbo 3 Oct 2012, 7:59pm

Not for the first time, I post the link to the very Miss Betty Bowers, America’s Best Christian, who explains a Bible based marriage better than anyone:

You go girl….

1. I meant to thumbs up you, not thumbs down then report… Go betty!

2. Katie Kool-eyes 4 Oct 2012, 12:41pm

I want to marry Bettie Bowers!!!!!

8. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 8:12pm

This goon has clearly got his religous education from Disney’s “The bible”.

Complete with fluffy bunnies, twittering humming birds and the lickle baby Jesus.

If he actually read the hateful tome he would realise that “biblical” families are polygamous wife battering, child stoning savages.

9. How about David, who had several wives but loved Jonathan passionately more than any of them? And how David adopted Jonathan’s son Meribbaal after Jonathan died?

Mr. Cathy is dripping with some of the most toxic, brazen sanctimony I’ve ever heard.

10. “Chick-fil-A boss: We support ‘Biblical families’”

What? Fictional ones? F__k me…

Dan Cathy, please be quiet. The grown ups are talking.

11. Really ? Yaaay !! I like to sacrifice my only son, have children with my slave maid and for some reason everyone in my family lives for more than 100 years easily and still can have children at these ages. So that means I will be well-accepted at a Chick-fil-A restaurant ?

1. You’re talking about the South, where people actually did have children with their slave maids.

12. It looks to me as though there are 2 diagonally opposed views at the top of this company. Probably this guy is just about to retire-maybe even sell the company on- and his management team are desparately trying to drag it into the 21st.Century-despite his pre-historic statement

13. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 10:51pm

You know.

As a person who saved 4 chickens from the hell these ” businessmen” put them through in the name of PROFIT.

I am a bigger man than this git. I do not have his money and would not want it, if all it represented was funding christian hate.

I feed my wee birds every morning.

He sends them to the slaughter house.

Unfortunately his is a biblical attitude.

Vile self interested man.

1. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 11:02pm

And rather representative of his so called loving religion.

He uses his bible to condemn every poor animal in his vision to be condemned as foodstuff.

And he uses his business based on the deaths of all these animals of which he profits, to further
      condemn via his ignorance people like me.

Well sorry pal. Your stupidity is obvious. Grow up. The child abuse you received is clearly obvious.

The indoctrination cult, you know. The one that raped children. Owns Trillions in buildings and Art works.

Lets people die of AIDS because CONDOMS cause aids.

But of course. I’m wrong Just a loving father that loves everybody. UNLESS THEIR GAY.

1. Dave Norrth 4 Oct 2012, 8:50am

My goodness. I did have a rant last night….

14. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Oct 2012, 10:53pm

And what about the so called first parents of the human race, Adam and Eve? If that were true, then the religious nutters would have to concede that in order to be fruitful and multiply, they would have had to have indulged in frequent heterosexual incestuous acts with each other. There are some nutters who claim that they had 60 children too.

1. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 11:16pm

Given that MAN was made in the image of god. Then an F up occurred with EVE.

Ooops . God is therefore fallible in the rib taking, to construct Eve.

Once these two got together then a large amount of INCEST must have taken place.

1 man ( ADAM) . 1 woman.( EVE) 1st child. What created next child?

INCEST.

There whole christian religion is ruined when you mention the previous religions it was stolen from.

Namely mithra and horus.

All of it is the same.

1. Dave North 3 Oct 2012, 11:16pm

Sh!te.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Oct 2012, 1:16pm

Right on! Adam & Eve weren’t even “married”, all of their phantom children born out of wedlock, fine christian principles of course upon which “traditional, biblical hetero” marriage is based. I’m convinced people who believe in that nonsense are suffering from a mental illness. Very sick people indeed.

15. Now if an LGBTQ restaurant went around poisoning homophobes we’d be arrested for hate crime, yet this establishment can deliberately entice homophobes to queue up by the truck laod and consume their coronary-inducing regurgicated ‘chicken’ fry-ups and the God Fearin’ US authorities cry ‘good job’ an’ ‘way to go’. Funny ol’ world, eh?

16. jamestoronto 4 Oct 2012, 4:41am

There is no such thing as an identifiable “biblical family” Mr. Cathy. If you took the time to read that whole fanciful tome, you would come away quite perplexed and totally at a loss to describe one common theme as a typical “nuclear biblical family” because marital and extra-marital relationships as outlined in the book you trumpet so much were completely out of step with what you claim is in there. There are literally dozens of different sets of relationships in the so-called “holy” book that quite frankly would land an awful lot of people in jail in most countries in the modern age. A professor in university once drilled it into (some of) our heads “Read it before you speak of it” and I suspect you NEVER have.

If you think equal marriage for gays and lesbians is going to complicate/destroy/undermine “traditional” heterosexual wait until all the biblical folk show with all their many wives-to-be including some of their own daughters, or all their dozens of concubines and slaves.

1. Remember the incest of Lot’s daughters… Thought that was beyond nasty.

17. ROFL

I.e.

Polygamy.
    Husbands being in charge.
    Women having no rights.
    Children put to death for being naughty.

Sounds great.

18. He clearly does not even think about the crap that he is talking about. And he does not realise the damage being done to his company, not that I really care about his company either! Idiot!

19. Katie Kool-eyes 4 Oct 2012, 10:23am

So he welcomes families whos sons fought to the death, the winner having intercourse with his mother……..freak!

20. I’m confused……are “Biblical Families” now listed as a Protected Species?

1. Katie Kool-eyes 4 Oct 2012, 3:18pm

Yes, yes they are. And for just £5 a week, YOU can adopt your very own Biblical Family!

21. CreatedGay.Com 4 Oct 2012, 2:35pm

Which Biblical family does he support? Does he support Noah’s family? Noah was seen naked by his son. Some people feel that means his son had sex with Noah. Does he support Lot’s family? Lot had sex with his daughters. Does he support David’s family? David arranged to have a man killed, so he could take the man’s wife. Does he support Solomon’s family? Solomon had hundreds of wives. And Solomon had sex slaves. They were called concubines. Which family does Cathy have? Which family does he want us to have?

22. has someone taken him up on his asinine statement and pointed out just what ‘biblical families’ means?

I really wish they would! How thick can people be? Most non-Christians know their bible better than him.

1. floridahank 4 Oct 2012, 10:20pm

Hey Iris, I see biblical family defined very simply by being taken out of Genesis 2, -24. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife, and they shall be one flesh
      Gen. 4-1. And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bare Cain…she again bare his brother Abel. This was the first family and if you read the rest of Genesis, you’ll see how the family grew.

Because mankind was as pure as it will ever could be, there was no danger of incest forming degenerates — that came as mankind become more violent, greedy, sinful to the point where sexual relations had to be structered to make incest mean what it means today — it was thus structured to protect lustful man from defiling the entire civilization into actually destroying itself which it would have done in not many years afterward
      I believe Cathy accepts this definition

1. Hi Hank. But Adam and Eve and their offspring were an incestuous family and Cain was so “pure” he killed his brother…. Not exactly the kind of ‘happy family’ I’d hope for.

23. David in Indianapolis 4 Oct 2012, 5:06pm

Is this man off his rocker? Just when things begin to calm down a little, Dan Cathy comes along and opens up his mouth yet again. It’s almost as if he WANTS to see the demise of his company.

Just unbelievable.

I really couldn’t give two hoots about Dan Cathy and Chick-Fil-A’s support of the “biblical family”….whatever that means. What I DO have a problem with is their support of these various hate groups which are hellbent on denying gay people their constitutional rights. And let’s not forget about their pushing for the “Kill The Gays” legislation in Africa. Anyone with an ounce of decency should be deeply disturbed and appalled.

I’ll bet those franchisees are wishing Dan Cathy would keep his big mouth shut!

1. floridahank 4 Oct 2012, 10:04pm

David, it’s wishful thinking on your part. In the USA , his stores are doing very well, regardless of your negative feelings. A person in the USA who has created and prospered with a company can still follow his spiritual beliefs, regardless of the homosexual agenda. Are you trying to say you want him to give away his belief system just because a minority of people feel offfended by his beliefs? As long as he is not physically/emotionally hurting his employees and customers you have no justification in condemming him. You have your own belief system, so live and let live and you’ll be happier — don’t buy his product if you so desire.

1. David In Indianapolis 5 Oct 2012, 3:43am

I clearly said I don’t care about his belief system. However donating to known hate groups DOES harm people. And I DO care about that.

And perhaps the Chick-Fil-As in Florida are doing well, but the ones here in Indianapolis have definately been affected. I drive past two of them every day on my way to work and the parking lots are not nearly as full as they were several months back. So the boycott IS working, at least around here.

To recap – I don’t have a problem with his personal beliefs. He’s entitled to them, as hateful as they are.

I do have a problem with a company donating to hate groups – especially hate groups who’s sole goal is to ensure I remain a second class citizen…. hate groups with their filthy hands all over the “Kill The Gays” legislation in Africa….hate groups that inspire others to do physical harm to the LGBT community with their hate filled messages and policies.

And yes, the boycott is working here in the Midwest.

2. Hank, as I’ve said before, the “homosexual agenda” is quite simply to be treated as equal human beings. I wish I could flick my fingers and bring up all our previous discussions, but I’m sure you remember them. There is no other ‘homosexual agenda’.

24. Pavlos Prince of Greece 4 Oct 2012, 7:05pm

Well, Lotus and his very young daughters was a ‘biblical family’ too, I suspect. I am right?

25. ...Paddyswurds 4 Oct 2012, 7:05pm

…biblical families…ummm ,like the Palins for instance, a “family” made up of hos, trollops closeted gay men and teenage rakes. Yea right …definitely a family anyone would want to emulate…NOT!

26. Art Pearson 5 Oct 2012, 12:18am

I guess he’s really not interested in growing his business. If I were an investor in his company, I’d me majorly worried.

27. Jim Nashville Tn 5 Oct 2012, 12:35pm

its nasty food .. to begin with .
    with a nasty bigot homophobic white man in charge ..
    biblical families .. so how I wish Jesus was here to explain to us why he never married and why he told up with lowlifes
    and hookers …. then maybe we would know what to believe

28. Most likely his sales were up during the loud protest period…
    Now since those higher sales aren’t matching his expectations of patrons longevity…
    He may think that stirring up the issue will bring back more of the same revenue his company had enjoyed.
    I myself have never heard of ‘Chick-fil-A’ until that event made news of it’s name.

29. So…. a husband, a wife, and as many concubines as the husband wants is okay by you?

Because you do know that is a Biblical marriage don’t you.

Oh wait, people like him do like to claim ignorance when it comes to these sorts of arguments.