UK: Labour to make equal marriage a whipped vote

1. Thumbs down if you have no sense of humour over a “whip”. It’s what keeps us going – the humour.

1. I understand your humour pal but most of us are focused on getting what heteros take for granted

1. Techiechick 27 Sep 2012, 5:01pm

I can not wait until the tories are voted out of power all together.

1. ..and prosecuted for crimes committed

2. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Sep 2012, 6:49pm

We’re going to need a number of the Tories to vote yes with Labour and Liberal Democrats. It can’t pass without Tory votes since the majority in their party don’t support it. Opponents say the Tories will lose the election because of it, but I think it will be because they voted against it in addition to the economic woes and austerity cuts. If I were a gay Tory and my party wouldn’t provide sufficient votes to see it pass, then I’d quit the party altogether, proving that their commitment to equal marriage just wasn’t there.

1. Yes, but fortunately we don’t need many Tory votes. Assuming the Dobbin, Benton & Glindon rebel against the Labour whip and vote against marriage equality, and let’s say another five Labour or Lib Dem MPs who would have voted for equality are ill or otherwise unable to make the vote, we still only need 16 Tory votes. Cameron has said he’ll vote in favour, and there must be another 15 Tories with their tongues so far up his arse that they’ll follow suit irrespective of their personal opinions. Assuming it actually gets to a vote, I don’t see how we can lose.

1. That There Other David 28 Sep 2012, 12:16pm

I can see somewhere around 100 Tories voting for, the pretty much total support from Lib Dems SNP, and Labour will do the rest. Not forgetting the Green Party MP for Brighton and Hove.

The only ones 100% against will be DUP and UUP.

Now Mr Milliband, how about someone from your party embarrassing the Coalition and introducing a Bill that Parliament can actually vote on?

2. Execpt there isn’t a vote and we still don’t know whether there is going to be one this side of the next election!

Easy for the libdems and labour to promise a whipped vote when there isn’t anything actually being voted on…

I don’t think I’m the only one who thinks that marriage equality will never get that far under this dithering govt…

3. The tories are clearly going to be held back by the dinosaurs and crypto theocrats. The party of individual freedom and small government will probably come around to the idea of equality in about 50 years time.

4. Last year, when momentum picked up and dropped down constantly over the possibility of equal marriage, I remember hoping above hope that the main parties will start to grow a backbone on this issue. This is another step in that direction, so I’m very pleased about it! :D

We are not living in a religiously fundamental country anymore; there’s nothing to fear from the churches if politicians go at this whole-heartedly.

However, I know that there is *still* no actual vote… maybe I’m being a bit too patient about it :/

5. Craig Denney 27 Sep 2012, 7:44pm

Miliband has twigged it, he knows Dave is going to back down from the pressure of the Tory back bencher’s and it’s about time Ed started captalizing insted of agreeing with the Tories. Oh no, he’s going to lay the boot into call me welch´er Dave.

Miliband saw Clegg failing to say anything about when marriage equality was going to happen in his party conference, so it’s not going to be in the Queens Speech in November then.

I cringed when I saw him playing catch up to Boris on the Letterman show, what a twat.

1. Tim Hopkins 28 Sep 2012, 11:48am

Didn’t the Queen’s Speech move to May as a result of the switch to fixed term parliaments?

6. Hmm, a sudden flurry of activity on this issue from Labour.
    I’m guessing the Tories have already decided to drop the proposals, but haven’t yet got around to telling the public.

1. Dave North 27 Sep 2012, 8:03pm

If this is dropped, can I stop paying a portion of my taxes, given that I,m not considered a full blown worthy member of UK society?

7. Nick Clegg didn’t mention marriage equality in his closing speech to the Lib Dem conference. Could be he would rather forget his promise to bring in government legislation.

I think he expects to fall out with the Conservatives some time soon, but would prefer it to be over a subject that more people support.

8. So Labour MPs will be threatened and cajoled into voting for equal marriage rights as opposed to being allowed to vote with their consciences?

How spineless, cowardly and barbaric!

1. This is not a vote of conscience. If black people were asking for the right to marry white people , would u also request that politicians be able to vote with their conscience.?

Ur right to freedom of religion does NOT over ride my right to freedom from religion oto f I kindly request that u please follow ur rules: live and let live… turn the other cheek.

1. Spanner1960 28 Sep 2012, 10:03am

Um, actually, Yes.
        I think all MP’s decisions should be ‘votes of conscience’ and not railroaded through by party whips.

The bottom line is voters will see precisely where the opinions of their elected representative lie, and they can either support them, or get them booted out. That would be true democracy at work.

2. The catholic church is the cult that exerts all the cajoling … the government is merely attempting to protect and represent an increasingly marginalized group… shame on ura kind

1. That There Other David 28 Sep 2012, 12:19pm

Not just the Catholic Cult this time. There’s lobbying from Canterbury and York too.

Personally in Cameron’s position I’d do exactly what Zapetero did in Spain. Tell them quite forthrightly that whilst their opinion is respected the state gets to decide on this one, so butt out.

3. Dave North 28 Sep 2012, 9:34am

What the F has “conscience” got to do with it.

“Conscience” votes only allow bigotry to surface.

How dare it even be deemed that peoples CIVIL rights have anything to do with CONSCIENCE.

1. It’s a form of bigotry and bullying to force anyone to do anything against their conscience whatever the scenario.

Taken to extremes, in some third-world countries torture is used to force conformity to the party line.

The British vote in MPs to in turn vote on issues using their best judgement and critical overview in any given situation:- NOT to be hounded by the party rotweiller and TOLD how to vote or else.

Party whips have tried to force through all manner of heinous policies that have sought to engage us in endless wars and remove our freedoms.

To see it being used to force MPs to toe the party line regarding equal marriage is shaming bordering on farce as it rather suggests the support among MPS for it is not there in the first place.

In which case we should be asking why we are being used to score points and what is the real agenda at play that’s seeking to force it through when those who profess to support it are merely posturing, publicity-seeking and obeying orders.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Sep 2012, 12:59pm

It’s also a form of bigotry and bullying for opponents to demand a referendum on civil rights or threaten MPs and government who support equal marriage, especially when a minority of religious bigots are trying to impose a belief system on an entire country most of whom aren’t religious or are affiliated with any particular denomination. It seems that it is they who are trying to score points and doing it in an extremely dishonest way by pandering to fear and homophobia. The latter is exactly what is at the root of it.

2. Spanner1960 28 Sep 2012, 10:12am

I actually see civil rights and conscious decisions as one and the same.
        This “vote of conscience” thing is bollocks.
        Are they saying that party decisions are without conscience?
        I say allow the bigots to vote how they will. People will see them for precisely who they are. Forcing MP’s to go against their own opinions is wrong and undemocratic and completely defeats the objects of having constituency MP’s in the first place. We might as well just ditch them completely and leave the cabinet to make all the decisions.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Sep 2012, 1:05pm

Oh, so religious nutters don’t threaten, bully or cajole MPs and government to vote against equal marriage? They want a referendum? Well, how about referenda to ban religion from politics, divorce and infertile hetero couples from marrying? See how that goes, pal.

1. Spanner1960 29 Sep 2012, 10:20am

If you feel so strongly, bring it up with your MP.
        That’s what they are there for.

9. GingerlyColors 28 Sep 2012, 1:31am

Labour should whip it’s MP’s, they probably will enjoy it!

10. I believe that this is Labour turning up the heat on Cameron because it knows he will dodge the issue as much as he can and he is afraid of trouble stirred up by the Tory Right, who are increasingly browned off with both him and the coalition. I don’t particularly care about equal marriage being a pawn in the party-political chess-game as long as it somehow gets through.

11. I’m concerned about getting it through the Lords, not the Commons. I think MPs are (rightly) concerned about being seen as being on the wrong side of history when their voting records are held up in 10 years time, but the Lords? It’ll take a lot of political will to force this through…