Lesbian daughter of Hong Kong billionaire still ‘close’ with father

1. There’s being a forgiving person and then there’s blind loyalty coupled with unquestioning obedience. I think this woman falls into the latter. Treating your daughter as a commodity is disgusting behaviour to say the very least.

1. It’s hardly ‘unquestioning obedience’ if she goes off and marries another woman though, is it?

2. ‘Lesbian daughter of Hong Kong billionaire still ‘close’ with father’.

i.e. She’s still on the payroll.

‘When asked if men should stop applying to marry her, Ms Chao replied: “I don’t think it’s a waste of time, my father certainly thinks that it’s worth the money”.’

I do hope there’s something lost in translation, because the above seems to suggest Mrs Chao is actually open to the bribe. Who wants to be f__ked over by a wife who’s willing to prostitute herself to a feckless stranger for $65m to make her father happy? That she hasn’t publically (and) unequivocally rejected the proposition must be utterly humiliating for her wife.

3. He made her the target a countless men that would like to exploit her for money, and disrespected her recent marriage, and she is okay with? Damn, there is something wrong there. Either she is going gaga for the money, or she is not serious about the marriage, or she is in denial of what her father did. Being raised in a rich household can also sometimes spoil people to not recognize a wrong being done.

4. Wouldn’t it be just fabulous if she married someone like Christopher Biggins and then they gave all the money to gay charities! What a great wedding that would be and what a great argument in favour of same sex marriage.

5. Peter Hayat 27 Sep 2012, 7:16pm

This is just disgusting … to say the least!

6. Surely a lot of people out there see this as a case of money clouding every involved party’s judgement?

Sure, sometimes people can have very strange situations that make even the most absurd actions less unacceptable, but I can’t think of anything that would make sense of this o.O It really does just seem baffling to me.

1. Emmy Matilda 27 Sep 2012, 9:12pm

Oh Lord. This is just so very tragic and sad. First, of course, about the disgusting behaviour of her father. How in the world could you even think about selling your own daughter? The men that see the reward amount of £40m will not want to marry her out of love. For him, the well-being of his daughter is not important at all – he just wants the whole family arrangement to “look good”.

Second, Gigi’s reaction on this. She’s not hurt? WTF? And people should not stop proposing to her because his father wants it so badly?

Hey, what about her WIFE? I do understand that Gigi’s under a lot of pressure, and that she might not dare to speak out against her father. I’m not Chinese, but from what I’ve learnt by spending time in China and with Chinese people is that family is extremely important. And gender equality / gay rights and such things don’t really apply in society on a wide scale. Unfortunately. And family is everything – there is a great social taboo about not obeying the parents.

7. She is trying not to disrespect her father in public while still being open about her own lifestyle. It’s a difficult juggling act but I feel she is succeeding. This is not a western country, where she is from family is still a major priority.

8. Spanner1960 28 Sep 2012, 2:00pm

I think the usual suspects are rather blinkered in their viewpoint.

The way I see it is a Father that loves his daughter and wants the best for her as he sees it.

Unfortunately, he is of an opinion which is wrong, and he is not making this offer out of any form of malice toward either his daughter, or gay people for that matter.

As I have said many times before, LGBT people’s biggest threat is not homophobia, it is simply ignorance. The man just needs to be shown that if he wants his daughter to be happy, she has to find the person of her own choosing, not his.

9. The man is an elderly tycoon, not a type generally known for its flexibility of mind. I can understand why the daughter can still consider herself close to him while knowing that he’s unlikely ever to change his mind about minority sexuality.

10. Dangermouse 28 Sep 2012, 8:33pm

PUBLICITY STUNT !

1. Spanner1960 28 Sep 2012, 9:32pm

That is obvious.
      But what about the article?

11. I think if this were my father I’d find it damn hilarious and I wouldn’t hate him for it. However I would be keen to make it clear that I loved my wife and that men were wasting their time. To not do so seems rude to her partner (unless her partner is finding this equally as amusing…)

12. I would find it highly insulting on behalf of my wife.

13. radical53 1 Oct 2012, 2:51am

Money cannot buy love. But whoever takes up the opportunity to get rich quick, will.

Such an arranged marriage should not be accepted at any price. Doomed to fail