US: State to appeal against gender reassignment ruling for trans prisoner

1. Michael Johnson 27 Sep 2012, 6:03am

I don’t understand why they are keeping her at the men’s prison after the surgery. Why wouldn’t she be moved to a women’s prison?

1. She hasn’t had her SRS yet. The state is fighting the corts decision that she’s entitled to it. In the USA they won’t consider putting her in a women’s prosion until after the operation.

2. This appeal is soooo stupid. They’ve already wasted millions fighting her care, but let’s waste so more! Just STUPID!

Of course they may just saying this for political purposes right now. After the election in 6 weeks it’ll be interesting to see if the state quietly drops the whole thing.

1. Let’s waste *some* more.

3. If she wants the surgery, give it to her.

4. Paddyswurds 27 Sep 2012, 1:05pm

What a great way to get a $100,000 surgery and aftercare for free. Get sent to prison as a man for a couple or three years and hey presto you emerge as a woman. The State is right to deny it unless he is willing to pay for it himself.

1. Educate yourself before you speak Paddy for goodness sake – this surgery will cost $18,500 or thereabouts un the United Sates at one of the top clinics for transgender surgery

1. in* not un

2. Expecting Paddyswurds to be educated in and understand trans issues is like expecting a hamster to be educated in and understand quantum physics.

1. Paddyswurds 27 Sep 2012, 11:15pm

Whats that to do with whether the State should pay for surgery for a 63 year old murderer when every other trans have to save for years to get it and some go into horrendous debt. You know nothing about me or what I understand. I think 4 years at Harvard University says different. Just because you have been castrated doesn’t make you a genius , I don’t think.

1. Ah, so everyone who calls you out on your transphobic bile must be transsexual themselves then? I guess that also means everyone doing those Out4Marriage videos is gay. Nick Clegg, Boris Johnson, Hugh Grant… The reason I made the comment is because in almost any trans-related article you comment on, you show yourself to be a massive transphobe. It makes me cringe to see such bigotry in the LGBT community. Now, as for why the state should pay? Real simple, that – the state is responsible for a prisoner’s medical care, and modern medicine knows that this is the only suitable treatment for her. You may not like that science and medicine comes down on the side of trans people here – much like many religious extremists don’t like that science and medicine show “gay cures” to be ineffective and damaging – but sticking your head in the sand and wailing about how much you dislike trans people is not going to change reality.

3. Paddyswurds 27 Sep 2012, 7:16pm

And why should the hard pressed taxpayers of the State of Massachusetts have to pay for it The court case alone has cost in excess of half a million dollars. I’m quite sure there are far more worthy projects the State could spend this money on instead of pandering to the whim of a vile murderer. Unless he can pay himself I say no., especially as he is over 60 and has lived without it for so long.

1. Because she is a ward of the state, the state is REQUIRED to provide all mecially necessary care. She has been diagnosed as being a transsexual person and the only proven treatment for transsexualism is transition. And unlike you flippant response earlier (Presto!) transition is a long, medically monitored process that takes YEARS to accomplish. She has been fighting the system for more than a decade to get treatment. Finally, her doctors (more than one) have testified that SRS is medically necessary in her case. So STFU.

5. Paddyswurds 27 Sep 2012, 1:17pm

I think it is high time Judge spent his dotage in less strenuous pursuits, as the Judiciary seems to be over taxing his mind somewhat and some of his recent judgements have been somewhat absurd. The whole idea is ridiculous in the extreme and at 63 I think this man is too far over the hill to be considering such drastic surgery. if he has lived with gender dysphoria thus far I don’t think another few years will cause him much stress.

1. At least she isn’t an ignorant TROLL on the internet like you.

1. Paddyswurds 28 Sep 2012, 7:42pm

I’m not a spit and run troll like most commenters on threads of this type. Just because I won’t agree that castrating oneself wont make one a genetic woman……. I won’t pander to your whinging and whining no matter how strident your ignorance…

1. This is not castration. Seriously do some research Paddy. Would you deny the same person in the same circumstances cancer treatment? As for the US Government tax money being spent on better things, absolutely. How much does a cruise missile cost these days, and how many we’re used in Iraq & Afghanistan ? Get a sense of perspective Paddy.

6. I’m think it’s outrageous that this prisoner may get surgery. I hope the appeal against it is successful. Hardworking, law-abiding transgender people in the US have to save for years to afford surgery, this person murders someone and they’re going to give it to her free! What kind of justice is that? For the record, I’m trans myself.

1. Garry, I understand how you feel, really I do. However, this could lead to everyone being able to get treatment. That’s how change often starts; the government changes and then the private sector is forced to follow suit. So look at this as being a step closer to treatment for everyone.

1. Paddyswurds 28 Sep 2012, 7:51pm

No, if this goes ahead we will have a deluge of trannies throwing bricks through Jewellers windows in order they get sent to prison where they can then sponge thousands of Dollars off the State, for what amounts to a fetish; getting castrated.
        Castration will never make a man a woman, nor will mastectomy and hysterectomy make a woman a man. If their bones are ever dug up they will be identified as what they are; a man or a woman. Y’all can scream trannie phobe all you like it will just run off like water off a ducks back. And BTW , I am not a transphobe, no matter how loudly y’all scream it. I have never been afraid of anyone never mind castrati. I am rather realistic, like it or not!!!

1. A transphobe is someone who has a hatred of trans people, so if you’re not a transphobe, then you must be a duck then, and I’m a right duckophobe (are these idiots let out of the home by themselves, seriously)