UK: Christian anti-gay activist acquitted over Tesco leaflets

1. Stephen Green wife-beater, nuff said.

1. Beat me to it, Pavlos :D

2. Christian anti-gay activist? Don’t compliment him – the term is ‘bigot’.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Sep 2012, 2:24pm

Exactly right. Christians aren’t supposed to judge others or point fingers. Bigot is an apt term to describe him as well as hypocrite since he doesn’t practice anything Jesus Christ preached. In fact few of them ever do, certainly not the majority of the clergy from Canterbury to Rome.

3. Well it simply means that we are free to hand out ‘If you believe in god then you are mentally ill’ leaflets outside churches.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Sep 2012, 2:20pm

I agree, we should be able to give it right back what they give us. I also agree that people should be allowed to insult others as long as it’s equal and fair on both sides without any exceptions, please or offend.

2. Spanner1960 25 Sep 2012, 5:16pm

Ah! But that would be blasphemy, would it not?
      it seems one rule for them and another for the rest of us.

1. Not at all. Blasphemy is an insult against the person of God or Jesus Christ. You could stand outside a church with dAVID’s leaflets to your hearts’ content and no-one will accuse you of blasphemy. They might share the gospel with you, and urge you to turn away from sin, of course …

4. ““These things might upset people, but they are not threatening, they are not abusive, they are not insulting and they are not against the law”.

Unlike beating your wife, for example….

5. In public he rails against immorality as the voice of Christian Britain but in private he is a wife beater

“Stephen Green wrote a list of his wife’s ­failings then described the weapon he would make to beat her with.
    ‘He told me he’d make a piece of wood into a sort of witch’s broom and hit me with it, which he did,’ she recalls, her voice tentative and quiet. ‘He hit me until I bled. I was terrified. I can still remember the pain.
    ‘Stephen listed my misdemeanours: I was disrespectful and disobedient; I wasn’t loving or submissive enough and I was undermining him. He also said I wasn’t giving him his ­conjugal rights.”

6. I’m not generally for criminalising stupidity, but I do believe that inciting violence against people whether deliberately or not is not under the protection of free speech. The leaflets Christian Voice produced call pride parades “child sexual abuse”. I think inacurrately calling people child sex abusers is incitement to violence against them, even if you claim you are against violence in the same breath.

1. That There Other David 25 Sep 2012, 3:46pm

Good point. Surely the defamation laws in this country provide another avenue to explore. If you call someone a child abuser you ought to be expected to back such a statement up, even if you’re using the insult against a group.

Talking of abuse, Stephen Green is an abuser of women.

1. unfortunately you can’t “defame” a class of persons unless the group is so small its very specific people – the same law that allows them to call all gays peadophiles allows you to call all priests peados.

Its not right but thats the way it is at the moment.

1. The Big Yin 26 Sep 2012, 3:04am

But it’s not defamation to call someone a wife beater (Stephen Green for example) if it’s true, right?

1. The laws are very strict and place a high burden of proof on the accuser in defamation cases in England. It would be safe to say his wife has alleged serious abuse.

2. “‘My middle and youngest sons have been almost suicidally depressed because of his mental bullying. They still bear the scars. When I see my ex-husband on television quoting the Bible, I think: “Please let this all end”.’ (Carolyn Green.)

7. the problem is its not “facts” its opinion they are masquerading as facts.

8. Paul in Brighton 25 Sep 2012, 6:01pm

I’m afraid, dear friends, like it or not, the Courts in the United Kingdom, particulalry the lower court system such as the Magistate’s Court are essentially a Christian based instituion.

If you’ve ever gone to one and seen the carry on, the first thing you’ll notice is the prominence given to the ‘Holy Bible’, where those giving evidence are either required to swear an oath of truth on it’s vinyl cover, or, failing that, make a declaration of truth, but in a non-faith capacity.

These latter oaths, are rarer as it seems that many offenders seem to quite like swearing on the bible, and irony that is usually missed on the three lay Justices who sit behind a large oak panelled desk on a raised platform taking time out of their daily grind of working hard to be superior to their neighbours and friends.

In fact, it’s the perfect place for our friend Mr Green and his coherts to win sympathy and polite, understandind nods from his fellow Church goers.

9. So these christians (and other religious types) are allowed to spew forth all sorts of verbal diarrhea. Calling homosexuals out as sinful, depraved, and god only knows what else.
    But the moment someone so much as suggests using the word “bigot” to describe them in a political speech. How do they react?
    ‘Section 5′ should work both ways. Or are christians once more asking for a position of superiority over us mere “plebs”.

10. PN needs to stop referring to homophobes as Christians.

11. ‘He beat our middle son with a belt, in front of his best friend, for answering him back. I tried to intervene but he pushed me away,’ she recalls.
    ‘My eldest son was hit with a broomstick and kicked on the back of his legs. He still has scars on his shins. On one occasion Stephen beat him so hard with a piece of wood that we thought he might have broken his arm. When we took him to hospital, my son pretended he’d fallen because he didn’t want to incur his father’s anger.’
    (Carolyn Green)

: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351585/Stephen-Green-rails-immorality-voice-Christian-Britan-private-wife-beater-says-partner.html#ixzz27VTwC7Qk

1. Hmmm I feel a bible quote coming on!! “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!”

Not bad for a gay pagan!!!

12. He looks so gay

13. The question is if people complained about the leaflets why didn’t tesco step in and remove them from their privately owned premises?

1. Maybe they stood somewhere they’d checked counted as public? Bigots like Stephen Green spend huge amounts of time making sure they research their hate-mongering strategy. After all, if you’re a ‘christian’, much better to spend all that time pondering on how to hate best than how to help those in need.

14. ” tell the public the facts about homosexual lifestyles”

Here’s a fact you are a bunch of W@%~@rs and bigots!! And you wouldn’t know a FACT about homosexuality if it jumped up and slapped you in your sorry face!!!

People like you bring shame on those Christians who are good people and who believe you should treat others as you would expected to be treated….And this has just come to you from a Gay Pagan who is proud to have some very beautiful and good Christian friends!!! What do you have other than a black heart?!