Bret Easton Ellis defends Paris Hilton’s anti-gay remarks

1. Paddyswurds 23 Sep 2012, 11:20pm

“Ellis sparked outrage in August after he said it was “ludicrous” to cast gay actor Matt Bomer to play the straight male lead in the film adaptation of the sexually-explicit Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. “… on this I cannot but agree. We all whined when a straight dude played a Gay dude in Will and Grace. We can’t have it both ways….

1. Speak for yourself Paddyswurds. We ALL most certainly did NOT whine. YOU may have whined about it. Gay people have played hundreds, if not thousands, of straight roles. Hell, millions of gay people play straight convincingly around the world each and every day in their real lives. Why would they suddenly be unable to do it on screen?

1. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 12:20pm

Didn’t say they would be unable to play “straight” roles.
        But when you know someone is Gay or straight in a straight or Gay role it sorta spoils the illusion….for me anyway. As for speaking for myself, I do but I also hear people complain about the same loss of illusion in these roles.
        Whats ‘is face in Will and Grace for instance, could never get past the fact he was a straight guy and he never convinced me.

2. It might help to look up the definition of ‘act’ and ‘actor’.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 12:23pm

@…..
        ….I was in amateur dramatics for years and so I don’t need to look up those words. Actually knew them before i left junior school!

1. Shame you never left it……

1. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 5:25pm

That’s rich coming from a moron like you….. Funny how all those slagging off those who would advocate for a bit of decor and decency are the same queens who thought it was OK to have gay sex in a straight gym some months ago….

2. Not many friends have you Paddyswurd !!!!!!!!!

Awwwww…

3. Ridiculous! It’s like saying: We know she’s married in real life, so she can never play a single woman character, or We know he’s not virgin in real life, so he can never play a naive teenager, and so on…

2. I didn’t whine when a straight dude played a gay dude in Will and Grace. Eric McCormack was a great actor as Will and a great advocate and ally as himself.

Neil Patrick Harris is great as Barnabus “Barney” Stinson (and, for that matter, in just about anything he tries!).

So it looks like both ways work pretty darn good.

Bret Easton Ellis’ outrageous comments only ensure his further slide into irrelevance.

1. I didn’t have a problem with it either
      Acting is about taking on roles which Bret ignored and now he gives ammunition to the homophobic

3. Edmund Dantez de Guerrero 24 Sep 2012, 1:00am

Paris is always saying something stupid and she’s not stupid, she merely doesn’t think!
    And Ellis is a homophobic white guy-need I say more?

1. What has his race got to do with this?

Don’t be so racist.

4. To be fair it wasn’t anti gay it was “anti-gay-man-who-uses-grindr-for-anon-bareback-hookups-probably-offering-cash-as-an-incentive”

as someone who has used grindr to find out what the fuss is, I am shocked by what the people on there ask for. Someone offered me £50 to suck me off but wouldn’t provide me with a name, picture or phone number in other words very anon and couldn’t contact if was diseased.

1. Yes, but the very same thing occurs in the straight world. That’s what made Paris Hilton’s comments so disingenuous.

1. “Yes, but the same thing happens in the straight world”

Does it? What app would that be? Is it as popular as Grindr?

Instead of constantly blaming others or shifting the blame onto so-called ‘homophobes’, it might be better to admit to some home truths, such as the fact that rates of drug / alcohol use and anon promiscuous hook up are far higher in the ‘gay world’ as opposed to the ‘straight world’. It’s not by chance that 1 in 7 gay men are HIV+ in London.

1. You are aware of the circumstances in which Paris Hilton became notorious in the first place, aren’t you?

1. Spanner1960 26 Sep 2012, 6:40pm

Myth?
            Please corroborate your bullsh|t.

2. You’ve got to be joking, John. Come to Los Angeles any night from Thursday to Sunday and you will see heterosexual kids stumbling down the sidewalk drunk, humping each other against parking meters and cramming themselves into cabs, heading home to have sex with complete strangers they just picked up in the clubs. The reason why “1 in 7 gay men are HIV+” as you put it, is because the disease got a foot hold in the gay community – straights got to hear about the disease through our misfortune. Not that straight kids have changed their behavior. And your self-righteousness – pointing your oh-so-principled finger at gays – isn’t going to help straight kids modify their behavior either. So think before you talk buddy. Gay men are no more or no less promiscuous than straight men. However, when the straight community is allowed to marry and settle down – and the straight community does it’s darndest to prevent us from marrying- I can understand how you might feel that way.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Sep 2012, 12:00pm

Absolutely right, Edward. As for the asinine statement implying that heterosexuals are less promiscuous, a myth of course, obviously he hasn’t even looked at the statistics for human papilloma virus which is contracted via sexual activity, rife among heterosexual teenagers, especially females.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Sep 2012, 11:56am

Grindr apps aside, it is not by chance that the hetero HIV rate in emerging nations, especially on the African continent are soaring at a far higher rate. In fact, the World Health Organisation indicates that the HIV/AIDS rate of infections is surpassing the number of gay men succombing to the virus. So in your world, hetero promiscuity doesn’t count for anything, among other STDs? Nobody is shifting blame on to homophobes. It’s just the stupidity and irresponsible statement Paris Hilton made. Ignorant, low information morons such as right wing religious extremists and conservatives take what she said and apply it to the entire global gay population. Fact….the majority of gay people do NOT have HIV or AIDS. Had this disease first appeared among heterosexuals, Paris Hilton would be singing a different tune and there wouldn’t be the stigma as there is towards gay men. If it were a gay disease, hetero people wouldn’t succomb to it in larger numbers now around the world.

1. Spanner1960 24 Sep 2012, 2:15pm

In the UK there are 111 to 1 gay men with HIV to straight people.

‘Emerging nations’ is an entirely different matter. They sleep around a lot more, they are less educated, they refuse to wear condoms and they have anal sex more. Those are the reasons.

2. I’d be interested to know where you got that statistic from Spanner, does this include both diagnosed & undiagnosed HIV cases in both population groups?

2. Spanner1960 24 Sep 2012, 2:12pm

Oh, I’m glad straights are as big a sluts as gays.
        That makes everything perfectly OK now then, doesn’t it?

Why is it every time gays get accused of slagging about, the only excuse people can come up with is “Well straights do it too…”
        Pathetic straw man argument.

1. The “Well straights do it too ” argument is used a lot because we are fed up of holier-than-thou diatribes from the straight community. The fact is “straights DO do it too”!!!They tar us ALL with the same brush. I contracted HIV from a so called “straight” guy. I didn’t know he was married with kids let alone living a “straight” lifestyle and, before you ask, I was totally faithful to him!!!! In my experience yes “straights do it too”…… And as for the statistics above, whatever the reasons, HIV infection was very much a “straight” disease before it ever became a gay disease!!!! Gay, straight or bi we should drop the labels and get on with trying to cure the disease…

1. Spanner1960 24 Sep 2012, 6:10pm

Maybe they do, but proportionally it’s still way lower.
            The statistics bear themselves out: Why are gay men proportionally higher by a huge factor when it comes to STD’s , particularly HIV?

As people keep harping on, “HIV doesn’t discriminate”, so you tell me how else it happens? Either people have unsafe sex, or they do it more frequently than most others – Either way, gay men can’t keep their dicks in their pants.

2. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 12:29pm

So Grindr is nothing more than an electronic Glory Hole then…!
      Thought as much..

1. No more than Blendr Paddy!!!!!

1. Spanner1960 26 Sep 2012, 6:46pm

Blendr is feeble by comparison. There is nothing like the activity.

3. Suddenly Last Bummer 24 Sep 2012, 2:44pm

Fifty quid eh? What did you spend it on?

5. Bret Easton Ellis and Rupert Everett really should get married and live miserably ever after; hating themselves and everything gay 24/7/365.

Removing the two of them from availability would allow the entire gay community breath a collective sigh of relief!

6. Ellis is a washed up author who could only write in the psycho genre, lost his boyish looks and worse can’t find a screenwriting job in Los Angeles. Now he’s playing the “drown my sorrows in a puddle of gin and put my foot in my mouth on twitter” game, and that somehow will put him in the category of Truman Capote and resurrect his non-existent career – as if Twitter could be anyone’s salvation. I’m guessing he also never got laid when he was younger and resents it deeply. Anybody agree?

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 24 Sep 2012, 2:51pm

Bret Easton Ellis never had ‘boyish looks’ though. He always looked old and grimacing, a la David Hockney.

7. James Savik 24 Sep 2012, 7:29am

What is it with all the washed up homophobic losers? Can’t they just fade away gracefully instead of getting a last 5 minutes of shame?

8. BEE – still stuck on “less than zero”

9. He’s just a controversialist. We have them in this country (Christopher Hitchens for example). Best ignored. WHO is he anyway? Never heard of him before.

1. Ellis to Hitchens = candle to sun.

2. Hitchens is unfortunately dead, I think you might have called him a polemicist rather than a controversialist and he was a brilliant writer and speaker, you’ll be lucky if you see his likes again in your lifetime.

3. That There Other David 24 Sep 2012, 10:46am

I think you mean Peter Hitchens, not Christopher. The latter brother, by far the greater intellect of the two, is unfortunately dead.

1. Sorry TTOD-you are right- I DID mean Peter. Its my age!

10. BruceWillisFan 24 Sep 2012, 8:07am

Rupert Everett. Paris Hilton & now Bret Easton Ellis deserve all tracking down & killing. now who is coming with me?.

1. Sorry. I get that your angry but I am not sure murder is the way forward. Perhaps if we just collectively ignore them they will go away and crawl back into whatever black hole they found their way out of. Not to be too blunt but I thought Rupert Everett had retired into obscurity, I have no idea who Bret Easton Ellis is and Paris Hilton looks like a drug addict and therefore is hardly worth listening to.

1. Michael, I think most of us agree with you that murdering Ellis is not the solution. However, just collectively ignoring such people, as you have suggested, is a passive response. One must speak out very strongly against all injustice . . . and not just in the cosy world of PinkNews. I hope American readers are saying what they can on general threads in the USA.

1. Eddy I totally agree with you but while growing up and being bullied through most of school I remember both teachers and my parents telling me time and time again to ignore them and they will go away. To be fair this never happened but the rhetoric sort of stuck. Sorry.

2. That There Other David 24 Sep 2012, 11:36am

Hmmm….maybe you ought to quit watching Bruce Willis films and go watch something a bit more soothing. Wildlife documentaries about penguins or something ;-)

11. Is he actually endorsing her lazy view that seemingly all gay men do irresponsible things via hook-ups on Grindr? What part of ‘insulting and invalid generalisation’ do some folk not get?

1. Spanner1960 24 Sep 2012, 2:16pm

What part of “got it in a nutshell” don’t you get?

1. Sorry Spanner, I and many many other gay guys I know do Not “do irresponsible things via hook-ups on Grindr” so your sweeping generalisation rather falls flat on its face.

1. Spanner1960 25 Sep 2012, 3:58pm

I’m surprised.
          I had no idea there were that many public conveniences still around.

12. There may be truth in this. I don’t see it as homophobic at all. Accuse me of sexism, I may be guilty of that, but men as a rule are more attuned to the idea of no-strings sex. It only stands to reason that if a group of men are attracted to one another sex may be freely offered. We don’t as a rule see lesbians using grindr. The trouble with all of this that instead of having a sensible discussion and reaching -the obvious- conclusion that ALL men (hetero or homosexual) are into no-strings sex, it’s been made into a gay issue. It’s NOTHING to do with being gay, but to do with being a man.

1. no matter how you spin it, it is a gross generalization.

13. Another dumb bad writer trying to keep his name in the headlines and sell a few more books. Who’s gives a flying fart what these morons say or even think?

14. It is high time there was an open dialogue among gay people about the ridiculous levels of promiscuity among us. I have for years felt ‘odd’ because I have wanted monogomy. I have been made to feel that I am wrong when I am hurt because someone I was dating slept with someone else. And the amount of cheating that goes on, and how celebrated this is, really worries me. The more we have legislation such as civil marriages etc, the less excuse there is going to be for this behaviour. The gay ‘community’ really needs to wake up and smell the coffee and start giving greater importance to values like honesty, monogomy, trust, commitment, loyalty and self-respect. The shame of Paris Hilton’s comments is that is was delivered in such a crass way that she’ll only be met with cries of ‘homophobia’, the anti gay mob will jump on it to illustrate why we are a bad influence on society, but actually this discussion is well over-due

1. Gay? Does that mean lesbians, too? Sorry, but you are really not right if you think that allowing ‘civil’ marriage will change anything; gay men are men and men like sex without emotional attachment. The reason why heterosexual men are not so promiscuous is being straight women don’t let them be. There’s no real discussion to be had; fact it, men are more promiscuous full stop.Don’t see lesbian women offering £50 for sex in grindr. But, no, not even when somebody like myself who is kind of on your side by saying: ‘Hey, this is not about being gay’ and is demonstratably NOT being homophobic but instead finds a plausible explanation based on maleness of all sexualities you won’t even accept the (non-homophobic) truth.
      The idea that marriage will tame this behaviour is laughable it really is!

1. More gross generalisations.

Having been in a monogamous gay relationship for more than 25 years (i.e. virtually the whole of my adult life) I find it irritating that people like me are simply airbrushed out by such sweeping generalisations simply because we don’t fit the stereotypes.

My own impression is that there is far more variation between gay men than there is between gay men and straight society, and the stats for Civil Partnerships suggest that the demand for stable committed relationships is not so different amongst gay people to what it is among straights.

2. I can see why you find my comment about civil marriage ‘laughable’, but I’m not as cynical as you. In the 70s it was a oft-heard refrain that we had sexual freedom because we didn’t need to ape our heterosexual counterparts This was bred from a feeling of rejection and condemnation from society. ”You hate us, we won’t listen to you just do what we want’. Unfortunately, as understandable as this reaction is, this fed into and justified the hedonistic lifestyle. we could argue that ‘they’ don’t understand us (which is true). I believe, however laughable, that over time civil marriage will change the gay landscape. Eventually we will be encouraged to ‘find the one and settle down’ by our loved ones. We will be encouraged to respect each other rather than using each other as sport, or pieces of meat. This will make a change from now when the primary message we receive is ‘you will be lonely, your relationship is doomed’. It’s no wonder we think ‘Sod that, I’m off down the pub’.

3. Spanner1960 24 Sep 2012, 2:18pm

Stone the crows.
        Women are simply not as promiscuous as men.
        The only reason straight men don’t screw around more is because women won’t let them.

2. So you’re angry that you were mistreated for your views on sex and now you want to turn around and do the same to others? How does that make any sense? How about you accept that people are different? Not everyone wants monogamy, and that’s never going to change.

15. Just because Bret Ellis Easton has used Grindr he thinks that he can speak for all gay men? Thank you for reinforcing certain stereotypes about gay men Bret, you’ve certainly done wonders for the gay community. Some people don’t seem to think before they open their mouths (or in this case type) or worse do think and deliberately say bigoted things due to self-loathing which I think may be the case here.

16. This just sounds like a stupid tabloid lie.

17. Cardinal Capone 24 Sep 2012, 12:24pm

This guy is into self publicity.

He also thinks its ok to generalise and that everyone has a wild sex life like him.

There have always been huge numbers of those of us that prefer to be in a couple. But until the marriage debate the only ones that got publicity were the wild ones.

Nothing wrong with a wild sex life, so long as the right precautions are taken. What it wrong is to generalise about the entire gay population.

18. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 12:47pm

I was going to make further comment, but the level of denial, delusion and absolute bullshyte on this thread is sickening …. It is no wonder Aids got foothold in our community as it did. Sheesh!

1. ………….and it comments such as this that is hampering prevention which feeds into new infection rates, you seem to be inferring that anyone who gets HIV deserves to become infected. I suggest you go read up about the epidemiology of HIV and gain a better understanding.

This quote from a study in Scotland summarised on Aidsmap today: http://www.aidsmap.com/Regular-HIV-testing-becoming-the-norm-among-gay-men-in-Scotland/page/2520138/

“Despite the availability of testing through the opt-out policy, the success of antiretroviral therapy, & the reduced risk of transmission associated with undetectable viral load, HIV infection remains to some extent a stigmatized & dreaded condition”

One has to wonder why this is still the case in 2012 – oh yer that would be the likes of yourself Paddyswurds making uneducated comments

1. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 5:17pm

I am inferring no such thing. If I think so i will say so. I infer nothing and I will thank you and anyone else who tries, not to put words in my mouth….

19. Suddenly Last Bummer 24 Sep 2012, 2:47pm

But her point stands- Grindr is for horny guys looking for hook ups. Why the hell should she apologise? Her mate sat with her in the back of a taxi checking his Grindr sounds like a total shamless sl@g.

1. Paddyswurds 24 Sep 2012, 5:20pm

What ever happened to going out socially and meeting real people, no some disgusting slag on an app for phuck sake……Like I said earlier, Glory Holes for Smart Phones……Yeukk.

20. I miss the days when Bret Easton Ellis had something worth saying…

21. What’s with all the Grindr hate? I have made friends and even gotten a job through it – and no I haven’t slept with or done anything with my boss. The variety of attitudes of Grindr users is simply a reflection of the variety of attitudes on the scene – you’ll have plenty of horny guys (and there’s nothing wrong with a hook up as long as both people are safe, sane and consensual) and you’ll also have people who just want to get to know people, who have no agenda, or who chat with their friends, or are simply bored. I have found it is a great way to meet gay guys in my area for friendship or for dating.

22. Oh here we go again, the gay community playing victim again. I wonder how many posters have had casual sex? I’m sure even Hilton has had a few night stands; she simply was caught saying something on camera. \As for Bret he is a product of the 80’s after all. Frankly, this “i’m gay and can do no wrong” is starting to get tiresome. Casual sex has and always will be part ofthe gay culture. Maybe 1 in 100 gay guys wont’ do the nasty on the first date? BTW, 75% of gay couples have an open marriage policy. Deal with it boys.

1. caped crusaider 26 Sep 2012, 1:50pm

In london the gays running ads charity crusaid claimed in a email people living with hiv cause “pain And suffering to alot of people”- then paid them of thousands of charity money and gagged them lol oh la la

23. “Brat” Easton Ellie is a tired old man that was a mediocre writer and is now desperate for any publicity. It’s a shame he doesn’t get screwed more often. Then he might shut up.

24. Leigh Hamilton 27 Sep 2012, 12:08am

Grindr is pretty awful, I agree. I think it’s wrong to consider his views as applicable to the entire gay community – that’s not what he said.

25. And I dare say Bret that if you looked at some of the guys who are straight and looking for a hook up with some blonde bimbo….they’re the same!!!

Just because your bloody gay doesn’t mean you’re more horny or disgusting than any straight guy or woman!!! Idiot!!