UK: Cardinal Keith O’Brien nominated for ‘bigot’ of the year, by Stonewall

1. I thought the pope would come top.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 21 Sep 2012, 10:37pm

I always had him down as a bottom.

1. Brilliant. LOL!

2. sjames6621@yahoo.com 28 Sep 2012, 8:58am

he’s a bottom. Obvious.

the pope fits the term Reaction Formation

look it up on wiki

2. Great nomination, what a tit Mr O’Brien is.

3. Paul from Brighton 21 Sep 2012, 8:55pm

Wouldn’t flatter the old drag Queen’s ego with an award. Learnt many years ago, bullies such as O Brien are best ignored.

As for Stonewall – wasn’t it Ben at Stonewall that went cap-in-hand to the bigots with his gesture that we would all be happy with Civil Partnerships and wouldn’t want marriage?

My how, our unelected, unrepresentative gay ‘lobby’ group work on our behalf, not.

1. Ben Summerskill’s views on marriage equality have evolved since then.

1. Don Harrison 21 Sep 2012, 9:19pm

Ben Summerskill said at the LibDem Conference LGBT group when we proposed Equal Marriage in 2010, that it would cost the country millions of pounds if that were to happen. A few weeks later he was all for it. What hypocrisy.

1. Paul from Brighton 21 Sep 2012, 9:37pm

Well remembered, Don, thank you.

2. I’m not one to hold grudges, what you say is true but I’d rather forgive people for past mistakes so long as they are doing the right thing now.
          Ben and Stonewall has come on-board for marriage equality and I’m much happier about that than if he had remained uncommitted to it.

2. Paul from Brighton 21 Sep 2012, 9:36pm

I have never asked Ben Summerskill or any of his unelected colleagues to speak on my queer arse’s behalf, thank you.

The fact that he radically changed his position on same-sex marriage in my books says it all. He shouldn’t have had to ‘evolve’ his views as you put it, he should have fought from day one for equality, not some compromise that we have now.

The similarities to Cardinal O Brien and his church and Stonewall are quite striking – both are unelected and both claim to speak for a group of people who neither bother to consult with, but yet confidently speak out on their/our behalf.

2. What you have to remember is these people HAD to work from the inside.

Claiming hearts and minds as they went.

British Government is slow. We are still stuck with the tripartite system of Left Right and Middle.

In other words Tories, Labour. and Liberal.

Scarily we have UKIP with their one hot wonder of an EU referendum, which I agree with, however their policies are not too far from the BNP.

This vile old man as far as I am concerned is an affront to a democratic country by wishing to impose his religious beliefs as government policy.

And those gullible enough to pay credence to his snake oil god drivel are telling him to STFU.

My, as it stands “CIVIL PARTNER” brought up cow towing to this cult hates it now with a vengeance.

They are creating their own demise.

And that god for that.

1. Working from the inside is one thing. Often necessary. But Ben’s original statements on equal marriage were a catastrophic own goal and fed ammo to our enemies.

2. ukip? what bunch of bigoted losers

4. Surely, the award should be specially renamed ‘the biggest bigot in the world’ if he’s a contender.

5. He should win by a MILE!!!! …. by several miles!!! A Liar, a Homophobe, a BIGOT, an embarrassment to Jesus Christ!!!!

6. Jen Marcus 21 Sep 2012, 9:38pm

Why stop at O’Brien? Nominate the entire Vatican hierarchy!

7. “Religious bigots come in many different shapes and forms — depending on whose divine authority they presume to possess — but a common ideology that binds them across the world is stupidity.”
    (Amish Raj Mulmi, The Kathmandu Post)

8. Mind, he’s a big enough crank to turn up to accept it.

9. I sure hope he wins!

10. He should be pleased with himself, there must have been tough competition this year …he mananged to fight off several challenges from the CofE. The Catholic chuch wins again.

In addition there were all those Tory MPs to fight off as well. Congrats O’Brien!.

Actually we should be grateful to him , he’s probably done the most of anyone in the last year to make a case for SSM.

11. Calling him bigot is name calling. I thought our aim was to stop name calling!

1. Hardly name calling to use a term like Bogor

12. No one has the right not to be offended.
    Another silly name calling game by the minority homosexual agenda.

13. PeterinSydney 22 Sep 2012, 10:15am

O’Brien is the bigot of the Century!!!!

14. I’m always in two minds about this award, half of those nominated are so deep in denial they wouldn’t accept the epithet regardless and the other half tend to wear their homophobic bigotry as a badge of honour.
    I agree that Cardinal O’Brien is probably the most high profile homophobe in the UK, though there are various politicians in Uganda and USA evangelists just for starters who would beat him hands down, not to mention the Pope.
    Stephen Green wishes he had that kind of influence.

15. The Priest of a small village was very fond of his flock of ten hens and a cockerel. He kept them in a hen house behind the parish, but one Saturday night, the cockerel was missing. The priest, suspecting fowl play decided to say something about it at church the next morning. At Mass, he asked the congregation, has anyone got a cock? To which all the men stood up. “No,no,” he said, somewhat flustered, “that’s not what I meant. “Has anybody SEEN a cock?” All the women stood up. “No, no,” he said. “Thats not what I meant either. Has anyone seen a cock that doesn’t belong to them.” Half the women stood up. “No, no,” He said, now thoroughly embarrassed “Perhaps I should rephrase the question: Has anybody here seen MY cock?” All the choirboys stood up.

16. “Do not be deceived – the Bible is clear in its condemnation of bigotry. Some liberals and those who wish to excuse their sin have attempted to confuse the issue by pointing to similar passages which are ignored, and even inventing implausible contextual background to explain why the Bible doesn’t really mean what it says. Nevertheless, despite these efforts, it is clear to anyone who approaches it honestly that the entirety of scripture clearly identifies bigotry as a sin.”

17. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Sep 2012, 12:25pm

Well deserved and congratulations to him, he’s alienating moderate thinkers to support equal marriage.. Expect a tongue lashing from the self-loather once he learns of his new status and celebrity.

I’m surprised Lord Carey wasn’t one of the recipients and that awful Peter Bone(head), Nadine Dorries, now there’s a real hypocrite and bigot as well as adulteress. There are so many Tories to pick from.

18. Pavlos Prince of Greece 22 Sep 2012, 10:18pm

I suspect, in some secret papers of Vatican he is yet nominated for the next Pope as ‘papabile di Scozia’. But right decision from Stonewall.

19. James Komar 24 Sep 2012, 4:18pm

Cardinal O’Brien was appointed by the Pope and serves at this pleasure,like all the other Vatican lapdogs who wear the miter. What else would you expect him to say? Incidentally all that money, mostly from the laity, which he proposes to spend fighting equal marriage could be better spent helping the victims of his pederast priests

20. Alan Craig has also been nominated for hid ‘Gaystapo’ jibe.

He writes – ““The Bigot of the Year Award is a vicious name-calling Stonewall annual event that reflects more on the donor than the recipient. By attempting to bully, intimidate, humiliate and generate hatred of individuals through the Award, Stonewall fully justifies the Gaystapo tag which I gave the organisation and for which apparently I have been nominated.

“Nonetheless if I win the Award over the other candidates and if Stonewall invite me, and permit me without harassment to offer a proper acceptance speech, I plan to attend their Awards dinner and ceremony at the Raphael Gallery on 1st November.”