Rupert Everett attempts to downplay gay parenting row

1. So, to quote “I have lots of gay friends with children” but by your previous quote, those children are having the worst up-bringing?

You are a idiot Rupert, you should learn to keep your mouth shut as you don’t realise the harm that they are doing all of us.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Sep 2012, 4:45pm

I agree, just like Ben Bradshaw did then retracted when it was too late. The opposition love people like Everett. He’s not too bright saying what he said not realising that it fuels and enables the hatermongers on the right as well as some in Parliament and the HoL. Who asked his opinion anyway and since when is he the spokesperson for LGBT rights?

1. Dave North 19 Sep 2012, 5:23pm

Too true.

I’ve noticed the “christian” institute ;”christian” concern and catholic voices keep wheeling out statements from creatures such as Christopher Biggens and David Starkey who are against equal marriage.

Now they can add this dried up actor to their list of gays who agree with them.

I don’t remember making any of these 3 rogues spokesmen for LGBT
        concerns.

2. Who asked his opinion anyway

But it was a Sunday Times interview – presumably his opinon was sought by the interviewer! (I haven’t read it yet.)

3. Who asked his opinion?

Presumably some interviewer, I would guess~

2. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:46pm

@mccabe
      That’s not actually what he said (least not, according to Pink News…)

2. At the end of the day he only has his chosen lifestyle to base it on. if he thinks all us gay dads spend hours in the gym and try to cling onto their looks like he does then he’s probably right. But then again that’s probably why he’s single too

1. Though it’s also just possible that he’s single because he likes to be so. Coupledom really isn’t the only desirable possibility for people today, you know.

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:19pm

Unfortunately too many people assume being single is some kind of unfortunate situation. Having been in numerous relationships, I much prefer the solo lifestyle. I do wish people would recognise that people should follow their own courses in life, which includes Rupert Everett.

1. Indeed, and it should also be acknowledged that the enormous pressure on people to be and stay coupled can sometimes have quite detrimental effects. Too many people – even gay men – put up with toxic relationships out of fear of being single (“alone” – as though you can’t feel discontented or lonely if there are other people around).

2. This is the nightmare for all of us. We are put in a situation of having to conform, when in reality it is not an ideal life choice for most of us. We prefer to be single.

Then you wonder why so many gay men feel disconnected, disenfranchised and angry. Being single is being taken away from us.

2. Being single should not be a crime. And should not be treated as such.

A lot of us prefer to be single and should not be persecuted for not conforming with your views that we should all get married and have kids.

It is a choice.

1. I don’t think we’re persecuted, really – though certainly often patronised.

1. Being single is the default setting for most gay men not prepared to swear an oath of faithfulness.

Men by nature are not wired to be with one partner for life, period, which is what makes the sudden global clamour for gay marriage all the more bizarre.

Civil ceremonies has not seen most gay people hitched in all the years it has been been “in fashion”.

It is for a minority, and marriage will be even more of a minority interest for gay people.

2. Sexual exclusivity and marriage are two separate (if sometimes overlapping) things. Many men enter into CPs because of shared history and property, it isn’t necessarily to do with the Hollywood “romantic” idea of marriage.

Can you name a single well-known man in history who is known without a doubt to have been sexually exclusive after marriage?

3. “I’m not against anybody doing anything. I think the reason that’s great about living in England, is we can do more or less what we want”

No we can’t, we can’t get married and all that you’ve said previously simply gives ammunition to the anti-gay army . Thanks a bunch.

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:21pm

Oh get over it.
      Do you seriously think any legislation is going to be decided on the opinions of one jaded gay actor?

1. no but it “legitmises” the opposition view – look a gay person believed our crap and said it too therefore it must be true.

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:33pm

Legitimises it? How?
          That’s like saying some odd vicar knew a gay bloke once.
          It really matters not one jot what Everett thinks.
          The truth will always out, and good laws are based on good principles, not the opinions of the average man in the street.
          if they were we would still be stringing people up the gallows at Tyburn.

2. Perhaps that’s one reason why he said “more or less”?

4. Actually I rather sympathise with Everett on this – I mean, I think he’s a twit and a loudmouth and more than a bit of a bore, but he very clearly indicated he was expressing a personal opinion, in an interview, and – as he says – it really is not quite the same as a politician or someone in public office suggesting (or criticising) a policy.

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:27pm

I totally and utterly concur with you here.
      Maybe the bloke is a bit of a prat, and he isn’t helping a lot of other LGBT people, but then why should he? It’s not like he has to toe some party line or do what is expected of him.

As for that dickless wonder Ben Summerskill, he is a fine one to suggest getting out more.; maybe if he took his own advice he might realise that LGBT people are as diverse as anybody else, and are not limited to reactionary socialists with cropped hair and muscles. (and that’s just the women…) ;)

5. Another outing for the tired old rubbish that is “some of my best friends are gay, but…”

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:29pm

“…but I have a mind of my own and choose to speak it.”

1. Dave North 19 Sep 2012, 5:27pm

Even so.

He can’t be much of a friend if he thinks those friends familial relationship with their kids are the worst thing he can think of.

Who needs “friends” like that.

If he were my friend, after saying that about me, I would tell him that the friendship had ceased.

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:58pm

He didn’t actually say that though did he…that’s what you’re WANTING him to have said so that you can justify your rant…

1. Dave North 19 Sep 2012, 8:04pm

Its not a rant. It is a response in a web discussion. So F off.

2. What a vile piece of work you are Dave North.

You give even gay leftie PC extremist activists a bad name!

2. Yes he’s free to speak his mind, and I’m free to call him a moron when his opinion is terrible. His comments are basically a personal attack on all gay parents and gay people in general. This combined with his “stay in the closet” remarks show that he’s one of those previous-generation gays who likes to keep quiet and “know his place” in society. It’s a dumb way to think and if he’s going to spout it then I’m going to call him a moron in return.

6. Pavlos Prince of Greece 19 Sep 2012, 4:33pm

Too late… Duke of Windsor has also dreams to return his crown in 1940-es, after – because of fear of his secret homosexuality – he has marry a masculine women. But its too late, Rupert…

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 4:35pm

What are you blithering on about?
      I’d rather have an English Duke than a Greek Prince anyway..

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:49pm

…we’ve had both…

7. Shannon Taylor 19 Sep 2012, 4:38pm

Guys a bloody idiot. Its bad enough hetrosexuals complaining without gays complaining. Im transexual and lesbian and take him with a pinch of salt.

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:52pm

..yeah God forbid that gay men should complain about any thing ‘gay’ eh…? (it’s only lesbian transsexuals who are allowed to do that! Lol)

1. Paddyswurds 19 Sep 2012, 11:34pm

What are you, Everetts phuckin agent or summit. STFU unless you have something sensible to say not inane drivel….like he should do.

8. It’s a PR stunt plain and simple..

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:53pm

Er how exactly is it a ‘PR stunt’…?

9. Paddyswurds 19 Sep 2012, 5:51pm

Rupert who?

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:54pm

…RUPERT EVERETT – its in the title…
      …Paddy who…?

1. Paddyswurds 19 Sep 2012, 8:49pm

Not very swift in the uptake are we, Stairway to hell….

10. This idiot’s “friends” should dump him , if he thinks they are unfit for parenting or marriage. As for summerskill’s(poster boy for the anti marriage equality lobby) double standards, does he think we have forgotten his anti civil rights/equality stance previously.

1. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:56pm

He didn’t say that – I do wish you’d bloody read the Rticles before thinking up what you’re going to post…

The posting should be in response to the reading!

1. It was an appropriate response , if you disagree then that’s your problem. And you should follow your own advice and consider very carefully what to post before attempting another inane , stupid reply.

11. Staircase2 19 Sep 2012, 7:57pm

Why is it our media is driven by the ‘I condemn in the strongest possible terms’ …? Why do we never have a ‘I support that in the strongest possible terms…?

1. Dave North 19 Sep 2012, 8:06pm

Why do we have pointless trolls who never say anything of value and only criticise anything anyone else says???

12. Too late Rupert!!

13. He seems to be all over the place, chaotic.

14. Actually he stands by his remarks.
    He just adds that everybody’s free to do what they want to do and that he has lots of gay friends (where did we hear that again) with children… (who wants to be friends with someone who thinks that they are the worst thing that could happen to their children?).
    So instead of apologizing for his insensitive remarks he’s basically confirming that he still can’t think of “anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads”.
    He’s a snotty a**h***.
    That’s just my opinion.

1. And you’re allowed to think he’s a snotty arsehole, even say it. It’s a shame he’s being condemned for similarly expressing a personal opinion (when asked) though, isn’t it?

2. I really really hate the culture of enforced apologies. It’s not about a plurality of opinion, it’s about conformism. Some people don’t believe what you would like them to – get over it.

1. So you’re basically saying everbody should be free to express homophobic, racist, sexist opinions without being called out on it?
        You may think that political correctness has gone too far but as far as I’m concerned I’m glad that in this day and age people can’t spout hurtful, ignorant rubbish anymore without being called out on it.

1. I think in this instance Everett so heavily signalled that he was expressing nothing other than a personal view, when asked, that the hostile reaction has been a little overwrought. I doubt much else he said in this interview has been taken equally seriously.

2. I wouldn’t say this was a particularly homophobic opinion. Everett is gay himself, so I think he’s entitled to hold a point of view different from the party line. In any case, what I am objecting to is not the criticism, it’s the cries that people “apologise” for “hurting my feelings” – as if everyone has to be forced to conform to a party line. By all means disagree with Everett, but don’t hector him into apologising for something which he clearly believes.

15. No doubt those ***holes at the Christian Institute, etc will latch on to his every word.

1. So they’re happy to use the opinions of a self-confessed drug-taking, promiscuous homosexual actor for their cause? A bit self-contradictory of them, wouldn’t that be?

16. I am afraid, Rupert, that the only acceptable excuse you can offer to the nation is “Don’t listen to me. Read my autobiography. You’ll see I have serious psychological problems. I’m an idiot. Ignore everything I say. Sorry”.

1. Get him on trial! Destroy his career! Burn him!!!