Rupert Everett: Gay parents? I can’t think of anything worse

1. Go away and hate yourself somewhere else, Everett. You’ve assimilated all their bloody nonsense and are spewing it out without even realising it.

And no, you don’t speak for any “community” because most of us don’t wail and bloody flagellate ourselves at every opportunity in an attempt to appeal to the heteronormative.

1. Well said!!!!

2. de Villiers 16 Sep 2012, 9:51pm

I have adopted a young boy with my parter and don’t agree with him.

However, what is unattractive is the nastiness and insults from people who care not about freedom but about themselves.

I had never heard of the term ‘self-loathing’ before I saw it being thrown around on these boards – and by those who assumed the right to define what homosexuality is for everyone else. People here rush to judgment and denunciation of those who stray from the true way as much as any religious Christian.

The hate is not that of Everett, who has a complex soul. It is of those people here, born gay, who want not so much freedom for all as to become involve in a fist fight for themselves; not the community, not for individual liberty, but or themselves.

As much as people like Valsky shout and swear about their ‘bloody’ this or ‘bloody’ that, had those very same people been born straight they would denounce us with the very same hate and ferocity they direct towards others. They are addicted to it

1. Complex soul? Hardly. He’s a d@mn actor, a professional pretender. And as I have patiently explained to you, this is a moderated board. Stop wetting your pants over my word usage, will you?

When a public face indicates that LGBT people are not suitable parents it HURTS us, including you and your family, because the ignorant troglodytes who read tabloid rags and know nothing about LGBT people than what they are spoon fed by the media will believe him. Does that really not compute to you?

2. de Villiers 17 Sep 2012, 12:07pm

Your view of the world as ‘back or white’, ‘good or evil’ would make shame for George W Bush.

People can think that two same-sex parents bringing up children is less desirable than two parents of the same gender and not be bigoted. Before adopting, my partner and I thought long and hard about the effect it would have on an already damaged child to be singled-out at school for having two fathers. We still worry, that we fail to provide the maternal warmth that we see other mothers give to their children. We console ourselves with the thought that our son will have a life and opportunities far beyond that which he could previously have had – and hope that all is going to end well.

That is not to say that single parents are in every instance to be criticised. Relationships break down and cannot be restored, parents can be widowed. But looking at the complexities faced by such children, one can lean towards the idea that they benefit most with two parents with male and female influence.

1. de Villiers 17 Sep 2012, 12:08pm

- of either gender

2. Can people think that a mixed race couple “bringing up children is less desirable than two parents of the same” race and not be bigoted?

1. de Villiers 17 Sep 2012, 6:02pm

No. To hold the view today that a mixed race couple is undesirable is bigoted and racist.

3. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 8:14am

“…attempt to appeal to the heteronormative.”!!?
      Correct me if I am wrong, but two people of the same sex cannot have children?
      Therefore some construct or device is required to enable that, ie: a third party.

So you tell me who precisely is trying to be “heteronormative” in this instance?

1. No, dear. Heteronormative is a social construct relating to behaviour, roles and expectations.

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 3:25pm

Exactly. So it is something people create in order to justify their personal, and often selfish, desires.

Two homosexuals cannot have children. Fact.
          Anything else is artifice.

1. I think you might be confusing child-bearing with child-rearing.

2. I can’t think of any worse than having Ruper Everett as a father.

The man is a self-loathing mess.

1. He shouldn’t speak for anyone else but himself. Therefore, he should have said: I can’t think of any worse than having me (and my partner) as fathers. If he doesn’t have the facts, then he should not generalise.

2. What do you expect with the overbearing mother brainwashing him how to think?

3. Being gay doesn’t mean you have to sign up to every activist talking point. There are plenty of gay men who see not having kids as one of the perks, not drawbacks, of being gay, and are glad to have grown up with a mum AND a dad.

1. Erm, what? You don’t have to have kids if you’re straight either.

And he’s not saying ‘I don’t want kids’, he’s saying ‘kids need a mother and a father’, which goes against all the scientific evidence and just seems born out of self-loathing, ultimately.

2. He didn’t just say that HE didn’t want kids. That is prerogative and no one would care about that. He said that I, and people like me, shouldn’t have kids. That in and of itself is offensive and intrusive enough, but then he take it one HUGE offensive step forward and tells MY KIDS that he can’t imagine a worse life. What parent, gay or straight, wouldn’t take offensive to that? Why do you act as if my offense is only because I’m gay and my response is akin to a gay gestapo oppressing him?

You should look up “red herring” and “straw man” rhetorical fallacies because you’re guilty of both!

4. Rupert, my dear man, the proverbial “apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” The real kicker is that once again, we read about an utterly flaming gay man who did not need to “out himself” to anyone, as his mere presence was all that was necessary, crying that declaring his homosexuality “hurt his career…” Really? I cannot believe that the the British Theatre is as blind to you as you are to yourself. I always found you engaging and extremely talented as an actor, unfortunately as a human being, now, not so much.

1. Couldn’t agree more!!!

5. And we feel the need to listen to this man why exactly?

1. The problem is that his words his words will be used against us by the bigots. They love when gay people say anti-gay things.

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 7:45am

No more than the church has it’s pro-gay people.
        That’s the price of living in a democratic society: everybody gets to say what they think.

6. Staircase2 16 Sep 2012, 5:30pm

Bit of. No -story story to be honest.

As J said earlier, not every gay man or lesbian wants to have children – some people do and some people don’t.

1. There’s a difference between him saying he doesn’t want to have children, which is fair enough gay or straight, than saying a whole group of people shouldn’t be parents.

1. Staircase2 21 Sep 2012, 2:33pm

You’re assuming that what he actually said as opposed to it meaning ‘I don’t want to…’

2. I have never wanted to have children. But I would never damn other gay men and women by saying NONE of us should have kids and that there is nothing worse than gay parents!!!

It really isn’t the same thing at all!!!

1. Staircase2 21 Sep 2012, 2:33pm

He didn’t actually say none of us should though did he…

7. David Nicholls 16 Sep 2012, 5:32pm

It would seem that Mr Everett has been rather over-influenced by his bigoted, homophobic mother. And to say ‘I can’t think of anything worse’? What about bullying, abuse, war, genocide, rape, murder, slavery and any number of human rights violations? Are these really preferable to being brought up by two loving and caring parents who happen to be of the same sex? Ben Summerskill is right; Mr Everett needs to get out more… and I would suggest that listens a bit less to his mummy.

1. James Savik 16 Sep 2012, 8:19pm

If he can’t think of anything worse, it is a failure of imagination on his point.

I can think of one thing worse: a mother like his.

8. paul brande-hughes 16 Sep 2012, 5:34pm

why does sexuality have anything to do with how a child is brought up,children are brought up by single parents, divorced parents, bereaved parents after losing a partner, gay, bisexual, straight, and married. Love is what counts, although the love from self loathing c rated actor who is no longer in the public eye and makes statements to remind us he is still alive is maybe not the best role model

9. My cousins mummy died when they were 5 and only had a daddy. Some of my friends/relatives have children and they’re not married or divored and live in single parent families, some of my friends are in same sex partnerships and have children of their own or have inherited them from their partner’s previous marriage etc, etc…..

geat real Everetts, what world do you live in? Not all men end up with a pretty wife with 2 fantastic looking, brillant children who go to Oxford Uni.

The most important thing is that the children grow up in a happy, caring environment and that doesn’t happen automitically just becuase you’re straight. Why stigimatise families who don’t meet the norm anyway.I suggest the Evertts go and speak with some gay dads and mums with children instead of generalising. I bet he and his mum are against gay marriage as well. Anyway where’s his dad in all this?

1. Wrongly reported. Bloody ipad !!!

10. one.second 16 Sep 2012, 5:38pm

Bitter old queen much?

1. Sister Mary Clarence 16 Sep 2012, 8:30pm

Oh very much – always has been.

Clearly not got any other way of getting his name in the papers at the moment.

Vacuous tw@t

11. no wonder he seems so sad and miserable.

12. Oh, Rupert. You as usual open your trap and unreflecting tosh with no evidence to support it comes out. Still, we can see where you might get it from.

13. I wish he’d just stop. Every time he says something like this I like the films he’s in a little bit less.

14. He doesn’t get much work cos he’s not a very good actor

15. What can I say about Rupert?
    Does stupid ponce over it?

16. There We Are Then

17. Why is this the top story on here? Why elevate the opinions of a bitter old queen who has never been able to accept himself to the status of ‘newsworthy’? This says more about Everett than LGBT parents.

1. Well said AdrianT.

PS: I would love to have you as my daddy… ;-)

1. I beg your pardon?! :-)

18. Mumbo Jumbo 16 Sep 2012, 6:24pm

If Rupert Everett is what a Catholic upbringing does to someone, I can think of nothing worse than religious parents.

1. here here. Much better gay parents than homophobic ones

2. That There Other David 16 Sep 2012, 6:29pm

Pretty much my opinion too. The classic example of a damaged adult due to bad parenting. I feel quite sorry for him TBH.

1. Rupert’s a grown man, had every opportunity in the world, and is responsible for his own behaviour. I would NOT feel sorry for him.

19. Mr. Everett,

I teach Kindergarten in urban Oklahoma. I can ABSOLUTELY think of much worse things than two gay dads.

For your consideration: a boy is scared to go home to his mom and dad every single day he hides behind me and begs me to let him stay, meanwhile DHS tells me “he is scared to go home” is pretty thin to base an investigation on. A 5 year old girl I taught was ptu into foster care when it was discovered she was raped by her father when she was living in a 2 parent family. I send food home with kids every week because mom and dad – living together- are selling the food stamps to buy drugs and the kids are emaciated.

There most certainly ARE worse fates than growing up with two loving dads. Until you look into the eyes of a boy scared of his two parents and tell him you will go to jail if you don’t send him home to them, shut the hell up about how bad parenting looks.

1. Well said Tori.

Please consider putting that in a letter to Rupert Everett, as I think he needs to read it.

1. Bravo Tori. I wish PinkNews had some emoticon for clapping hands.

20. Spanner1960 16 Sep 2012, 6:38pm

I was wondering how soon somebody would wheel out the “self-loathing” or “heteronormative” labels.

I disagree with the man, but does that mean everybody has to think the same? He was just voicing his personal opinion, and he said so, and also pointed out there IS no “community”.

1. Cry harder, Spanner.

2. For once I agree with you 100%, Spanner1960. He very clearly signalled it was a personal opinion and nothing more.

1. True, but ‘personal opinion’ of this nature should be carefully thought through as views like this feed into prejudices that the wider population already have about gay parents.

1. Yes, but on the other hand few people are really likely to use Everett’s clearly off-the-cuff remarks as a support for their arguments against gay parents.

21. Stephen Warwick 16 Sep 2012, 6:52pm

Rupert has every right to express his opinion, just as he has done. I’m with Voltaire on that one all the way. We are the same age, I see him about Soho and for years and never bother him. So Ben Summerskill, he does get about a you put it. I raised as a lone parent my biological daughter, now 26yo, flourishing, vibrant and for the record straight. She knew I was gay, out and proud and our happiest time looking back, was when there were two gay caring, loving dads. We are very close still and it’s the one thing I’m proud of in my life; being her father. There’s room for us all, Rupert, me and all the variety found in our midst. Party line? Utter nonsense. Let’s grow up, beyond such categorisations.

22. Aryu Gaetu 16 Sep 2012, 6:56pm

I, for one, like his logic about straight parents raising straight children. Extrapolated, it gives us…

1. A huge reason for Gays to adopt children. Gay children should removed from straight parents so they can live in a normal Gay home where they can get the necessary support to avoid suicide.

2. Justifies having a home with a Lesbian couple AND a Gay couple under one roof as to give any child, straight or Gay, twice the opportunities to get support and knowledge from 4 diverse adults, not just the narrow mindedness of a single breeding pair. If the logic works for the Mormons to have large families, why not a Gay home, too?

1. It isn’t logic. Good parents are good parents, bad parents are bad parents- nothing to do with your sexual orientation. Removing a child from his parent(s) simply because one is gay and one is straight is not well thought out, creates separation issues in children who grow up to have abandonment issues as adults. So if a gay couple has a straight child the child should be removed from the home and placed with a straight couple? Other then creating disruption and segregation what do you think this would accomplish?

23. What a sad and unhappy man

24. They are having great fun with this on the Mail website Rupert. Still, anything for a bit of publicity eh?

25. Well, he does make a good point about there being too many children and it being a good thing to not be adding to the problem. We are definitely overpopulating.

However, his main point is just moronic.

26. Robert in S. Kensington 16 Sep 2012, 7:07pm

In Everett’s distorted view of parenthood, he thinks that a child should have a mother and father, no surprise there, he’s a catholic. Well, has he ever heard of unfit or abusive heterosexual parents? What would he say about all of those children who end up in foster care because of it?

This is music to the ears of equal marriage opponents.

27. What a bitter, self-loathing and self-centred old queen.

I’ve lost all respect for him.

28. Even if he doesn’t like gay parenting, Everett should not marry a woman and have kids. It is terrible for a gay man to have sex with a woman, to force her to rip open her womb, and to betray his community. As for the kids, it is terrible for them to have parents who don’t love each other. Gay parents do. At the very least, Everett should adopt. He should have some dignity as a gay man!

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 7:09am

“Betray his community”?
      What the hell does his life have to do with anybody else’s?
      You are spouting the same reasoning as all the churches.

29. Carl Rowlands 16 Sep 2012, 7:27pm

Rupert just smiles! He needs to tell his mother to ‘jog on’ and move her into a home. She should be thoroughly ashamed of herself. The last thing one should leave in her company is a child. What an absolute bag!

30. Attention ‘Gay Community’! We have ourselves a rogue member!

How dare he not tow the officially sanctioned community line on YET ANOTHER issue!

Doesn’t he know that the only non-controversial opinion about anything is that which has been accepted by the collective??

Gay Community; initiate the defamation engine! FIRE!!!

1. Brilliantly espoused, Peter S.

The militant robotic reactionaries who police this site and demand everyone jump into groupthink “mind-already-made-up” line like all good PC conformists are the real bigots in all such debates.

NOT those who choose to remain individual and voice their true opinions, however much they cause said militants to cough and splutter into their corn flakes!

1. That There Other David 16 Sep 2012, 11:45pm

Interesting choice of language there Samuel. The “real bigots”, “militant” etc. Almost reads like something a Cardinal’s Press Office might say.

Just saying’

2. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 7:04am

What “community”?
      What “collective”?
      Please stop assuming that just people happen to be gay they need to be part of some wider, all encompassing organisation. You sound like some kind of shop steward. The man has his opinion, you have yours.

1. Wau, Spanner..

I think your sarcasm detector needs fine tuning~

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 7:49am

Sorry, I just re-read your line.
          You’re right, it was a bit out of whack, but then I’ve just got up.
          I promise not to do it again. x

1. Phew, for one minute there I thought “they” had got you hook, line and sinker Spanner!

I guess it is so rare to expect to see common sense espoused on here that we are inclined to spot certain words out of context and assume they belong to the unwieldy rabble of PC thought police who infest these forums!

2. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 3:28pm

Exactly. I immediately pounced at Peter S’s jugular.
            Nice to know there are still a few people on here that aren’t fully paid-up members of the official LGBT Sheeple Party.

31. Please, let’s have some respect of one another’s opinions, even if they are not our own. Rupert Everett has stated quite clearly they are his personal opinions and he is entitled to them.

1. He’s offending all gay parents and children of gay parents and is playing into the hands of bigots (see, even gays know that gay parenting is a bad thing), I don’t have to respect that, even if he is entitled to his personal opinion.

2. Oh, so according to you, we have no right to debate the matter and say what we think about Rupert’s public statements?

NO! No! no! We have every right to respond to his public statements. And in this particular case we have a duty to. I hope many here are saying what they think in the heterosexual newspaper threads.

3. Bollocks !

32. I do rather wish Everett would shut up sometimes (tall order for an actor, I suppose) but let’s be fair, he very clearly says “Some people might not agree with that. Fine! That’s just my opinion. I’m not speaking on behalf of the gay community. In fact, I don’t feel like I’m part of any ‘community’.” It was an interview, he was asked his opinion and he gave it – even if it’s not what others want to hear, we shouldn’t be pouncing on him for expressing his thoughts, especially when he makes it clear that he’s speaking only for himself.

1. No, when people spout nonsense we have a duty to try and change their minds. Anyway, this guy is just spouting nonsense in order to get himself more publicity and to be liked by all those grey-haired old ladies out there!

1. No, no, no! It is an INTERVIEW, he was asked his opinion, and he gave it – with all necessary caveats! Give the guy a break, he’s allowed an opinion.

2. The problem with your argument, Eddy, is that if your ilk had your way, the logical end game would be forcing people to change their minds with devices such as officially-sanctioned water boarding, so intolerant and fascistic are you of people to (still) have the right to express their own views.

2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, true. However, due to the sensitive nature of the issue and the risk of playing into the hands of the anti-gay mob he should not have said ‘I can’t think of anything worse’. I can almost hear a ‘yuck’ in his voice which makes the whole thing distasteful. The fact he’s almost colluding with his mother who wishes he was straight makes it even worse and reads like a gay man saying how awful it is to be gay and that we shouldn’t really be parents. That is where his personal opinion becomes offensive.

1. Yes, but it’s an interview, and “I can’t think of anything worse” is a colloquial turn of phrase. I can readily understand why anyone would find his opinion irritating, but I don’t really think it’s something to get offended by, especially as he quite specifically says he was expressing his personal opinion – it’s not as those he’s proposing a policy.

And for those concerned that his view will be used by the ‘other side’, I seriously doubt the anti-gay-adoption brigade will be hastening to quote Everett!

33. Personally, I do not agree with gay surrogacy or lesbians using sperm banks etc.

However, I agree with gay adoption.

1. Can I just expand on your point?…..I personally feel that surrogacy and sperm banks shouldn’t really be used by anyone, including single people and infertile straight couples. If, for whatever reason, you are not built to have kids, then adoption should be encouraged as the first choice, for many reasons, not least its benefit to society. If that’s what you mean, then I agree with you.

1. It is Robert. I dont think single women or infertile couples should as well although I would be supportive if a mate went down one of those routes.

1. I think perhaps you are both a bit naive about adoption and its benefits. As someone who left the adoption system when it became clear how exploitative, harmful – and very rarely in the best interests of the child – it was, I understand better now why most progressive countries (including teh one in which I now live) have more or less done away with adoption as a broken system. Abused and neglected children with severe attachment disorder and every reason to hate and fear parents, in need of very structured and therapeutic care, are not best served by placing them with ordinary, hopeful people who are desperate for a loving family, and who they are expected to be capable of loving them and showing affection in return. And not everyone, straight or gay, who wants to be a parent has the very specialised set of skills and personality traits needed to successfully parent an abused child.

Sometimes it works – far more often, it leads to dysfunction and heartbreak for everyone concerned

34. BruceWillisFan 16 Sep 2012, 8:15pm

Well said Rupert Everett for saying that. because I highly agree with you. I am proudly & openly gay myself & I think its pointless for all us gays to have children & thank goodness that we are unable to have them too. leave that to all the straights. :)

1. Do you not see a difference between, “I as a gay man don’t want to have children” and “NO gay man should have children because it’s the worst thing imaginable”?

I wonder how many kids of gay fathers Rupert spoke with before making his proclamation? I wonder if YOU’VE ever spoken to the child of gay parents?

I honor and support people who have no interest in being parents but I take offense at people who attack MY family and tell MY kids that they have the worst imaginable life.

Rupert may not be aware, and you may not be aware of the fact that words can do damage. Why does Rupert feel so comfortable telling my kids the same kinds of ignorant and hurtful “opinions” that hurt him as a child?

Rupert is a very angry, bitter, miserable and vindictive man. He seems to follow the adage that misery loves company and he’s determined to drag as many people down into misery with him as he possibly can.

2. Well said, Hayden! By all means don’t have children if you don’t want them whether you’re gay or straight, but don’t force your preferences on others or try to dictate what others should do. It smacks of insecurity to me.

35. James Savik 16 Sep 2012, 8:17pm

I suspect that this may be a generational issue. I remember that gay people a little older than me (50+) used to be very circumspect about their behavior. Being out was unthinkable, public displays of affection were very much frowned upon, and you didn’t dare draw attention to yourself.

This is understandable because only recently have the laws changed. In those days you could be jailed, harassed by police and even committed to some witch doctor for “therapy”. There were no protections from discrimination and very little alternative to the closet.

To be honest I still feel like the very idea of gay marriage is one of the most ridiculous things we could ask for while we can still be fired, evicted and discriminated against in a thousand different ways. I’ve never even considered having children because to my generation, it simply wasn’t done.

It’s only natural that different generations with different life experience would see things differently.

1. That still doesn’t give him the right to offend gay parents and their children.

1. Yes it does: he was expressing a personal opinion in a situation where he was asked for personal opinions. Read his caveat.

1. Oops, only the first 2 words there were supposed to be in bold.

2. A very relevant and interesting point. Older gay people do sometimes have a completely different view of themselves due to their experiences. However, at 46 I’m not that much younger than Rupert and I think he’s talking baloney.

3. I’m 50+ and I think Rupert is full it. He can give his opinion, his right, we can do the same. I currently live in MN, USA and we are the only state to defeat the defensive marriage act -the average age here is 55. One of the great things about getting older is not tolerating the B.S.
      In the late 70’s every one was Bi (David Bowie, Elton John,….) then Reagan was elected in 1980 (Male Mz. Thatcher) and a new age of arch conservatism came rushing in and into the closet so many went, then HIV/AIDS. There was a lot of self loathing then, seems Mr Everet never got over it.

36. It doesn’t matter what the gender of a parent is, be they gay, bi, straight. What a child needs is to grow up in a loving, nurturing environment and in that place they will thrive!

But I really feel sorry for old Rupert, because it is obvious the man really doesn’t like who he is. And with all the crap that man speaks, I predict he will die a dad lonely old man

37. He didn’t hurt his career prospects by coming out.
    He hurt his career prospects by being a craptastic actor.

Now he can add douchebag to his list of accomplishments.

The guy is a pathetic self-hating homophobe.

38. Honestly, how big of a baby can this pathetic human be. Third rate actor, sad fifth rate human, disgusting tenth rate homo; all because he is angry at the world, momma and himself. Grow up you snivelling dope. As a human you are already dead, so do yourself and the world a favour, stop breathing and squirming, lie down so we can have the funeral celebration and bury you. If you are too cowardly to do that, get a spoon and eat my ass.

39. ‘…I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads…’

rupert there are lots of kids that would disagree with your assertion and i think it is a little bit irresponsible for someone in your position to say something like that.

40. VINCENZO AIOSA 16 Sep 2012, 8:54pm

Nothing worse than a self loathing Homosexual and a narrow minded bigoted mummy
    God Bless My Mummy and my Mother in law. With all their flaws they are the best

41. The man is absolutely right that children get something different from both father and mother and consequently need both if they can get it.
    It is evil to conceive motherless or fatherless children for that same reason. Some of these children will never stop asking where they came from.
    So there is no “evidence”? What kind of studies were done and what parameters were considered. I dont give anything for studies like that. You ask those children if they ever wondered about their missing parent and there is your answer…
    For the record im gay with two children who live with their mother but with me giving them a lot of care. I could never be a mother for them and no women can ever be their father.
    Unconscious psychology is full of “mother”, “father” “womb” etc ignoring these things is plain stupid. I dont have time to explain these things in detail, but their importance can be inferred from the new Disney cartoon “Brave” which is about just these things, using Jungian imagery…

1. Martin, you would have the human race return to the caves, wear only loin cloths and furs, and eat rice.

Wake up! Be brave! Lose your fears!

1. Thx for your sympathetic reply. But do you really think we ever left the instinctual, primal side of life or will ever be free of it. People live lives based on lies, and pay for it with depression and substance abuse…

42. You can never prove the non-existence of black swans by counting white ones, and you can never prove non-existence of harmful effects of missing a parent in these studies.
    What is it like to lose a parent? Is it good? The same as losing a teacher with whom perhaps more time has been spent?
    Parents and grand parents are bridges to the past that provide stability and matrices of psychological development. We know ourselves by our relation to them. That is why they are irreplaceable.
    Make children homosexuals, by all means. But with people, not anonymous donors… Gays can be as good parents. But the children deserve both mother and father

1. So following your logic, we should remove all children from single parent families then.

Men are more then capable of raising children. children want to be loved and raised in a safe environment.

Its not gay parents that is the problem, its people like you who won’t allow them or the children with them to be happy by saying rubbish like that. Shame on you for being so narrow minded.

“make children homosexuals” with that quote you show how stupid you are, a mother makes a homosexual in her womb, its a bit late after they are born.

1. I said go ahead and make children. Dont make them with anonymous donors. Idiot. There is a difference between creating a motheless child because it suits your fancy, and a child losing its mother, which is a disaster.
        Single parents who have donor children cant be sure to live forever. If they die early they leave that child orphaned. It happens that people die. Two parents means much lower risk of being completely orphaned.
        You are selfish. Children must pay for your convenience

1. Martin, you said “make children homosexuals”. While many people can see that you actually meant “make children, homosexuals” (note the comma) from your context, it’s unfair to call someone else an idiot because they couldn’t untangle your poor grammar.

2. Its about public decency 16 Sep 2012, 10:55pm

what if the father beats the mother/children, what if the mum becomes a crack whore – is taking them away from the destructive parent STILL such a bad thing? Nothing is black and white and you can never say well 2 straight parents is still better then single or gay parents – it all comes down to parenting ability.

1. Im not saying straights are better. I said children both parents. Gays can have children of course, but they should have them with people who can be parents and not anonymous donors.
        Two women choosing to make a fatherless baby are acting from their own interest NOT the childs! This is evil, causing hurt for convenience…

3. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Sep 2012, 12:49am

So an abusive or dysfunctional hetero mother or father should raise children but two loving people of the same gender who can offer stability and love are not suitable? You’re an idiot. There is more than enough evidence to refute your claim.

I doubt very much that you’re gay either, loser.

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 8:11am

You are not getting it Robert.
        What Martin is trying to say is that ‘conventional’ parents have a better chance of a functional family than an ‘unconventional’ one.
        That is not to say that heterosexual parenting always turns out better, or homosexual ones do not, but the effects and rights of the child are paramount, and anything else, including gay rights, has to be secondary to that.

43. He may well be part of the last generation who drew a veil over it such things. Well, hopefully, he is.

44. Pavlos Prince of Greece 16 Sep 2012, 10:45pm

Attractive men, foolish words. Well, good enough for oral sex. In Venice maybe? Rupert loves conservative places and Catholic culture very much…

1. Ahh, don’t speak ill of Venice. The place may be a dump, like the whole Italy (I’ve been to Italy, trash everywhere), but still it is a beautiful place.

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 17 Sep 2012, 3:49pm

Yes, Rupert and Venice… I was in love with him after this beautiful film of Paul Schrader ‘Comfort of Strangers’ (1990), where Mr. Everett play British tourist in very secret, self homophobic Venice. And was very positive surprise, when Rupert has announced, that he is indeed gay. It was time of discussions about homosexuality in United Kingdom under ‘old’ Tory reigning (this historical context has his place even in the film). Is it now, 2012, something like the second, ‘anti-coming out’, at the beginning of new Conservative era?

45. Its about public decency 16 Sep 2012, 10:52pm

basically he agrees because his mommy said it. That tells you the exact kinda man he is spineless.

46. Look what his mother has to say….no wonder he has that view….guilt, shame and self-hate takes people to odd places..what an ass…he may well have only come out in 1989, but it didn’t stop him trying to get into my pants in 1980…total loser…

47. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 16 Sep 2012, 11:16pm

As a gay man who is fostering kids with my husband, Rupert’s comments really hurt, particularly the kids in our care. He gives further ammunition to the haters to attack us in what is already a very challenging role. However Rupert said much the opposite a few months back when he said that love and commitment were the attributes required to raise a child regardless of the sexual orientation of the parents. One only has to look at his own upbringing and his mother’s comments to wonder what understanding either of them have of parenting. He obviously didn’t get invited to some party Elton and David were having and he’s in a total snitch.
    God love the poor old dear and his Mum!

48. Pavlos Prince of Greece 17 Sep 2012, 12:25am

Has he already signed petition against marriage equality? When not, sweet Catholic reporter from ‘the Telegraph’ can help…

49. Of course Rupert Everett is entitled to his opinion whether we agree with it or not but during this sensitive time where adoption rights and marriage for gay couples is a core issue with many political and religious groups trying to put a stop to it, its a really poor move on his behalf to speak so negatively on the subject of gay parents. I cant say I’m a fan of his views and i wonder where his backward attitude stems from, how many kids with gay parents has he met to make such a judgement?? Regardless of what i think even if he does have a reputation for being outspoken (which is his right too) this is a time where he could have been more sensitive and given support and respect during such a difficult time. This will no doubt add to his increasing unpopularity which is a shame as he clearly is a talented fella.

50. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Sep 2012, 12:52am

Well now, it doesn’t seem as if Everett’s parents did a good job raising him to be so maladjusted and self-destructive. Probably had dysfunctional parents to make such an asinine comment that has long ago been debunked by a large section of the American Psychiatric Association as well as many child psychologists. The evidence is irrefutable and totally debunks the myth that Everett is putting forward. What a fool.

51. Cardinal Capone 17 Sep 2012, 1:22am

His mother sounds dreadful. He probably could have done a lot better with 2 dads.

52. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 3:17am

As a gay parent I must say that Rupert is 100% wrong, and with each passing year AND attention seeking interview my opinion of him lessens.

HOWEVER, we must be VERY careful not to fall into a chasm of conformitist bullsh*t. He is entitled to his opinion, he is entitled to voice them, and other members of our community who agree with him are also allowed to be of their own mind. It diminshes us as a group if we are unable to allow others their own view.

In a truly free world we must all be who we are, and play the role we choose to.

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 4:13pm

Sorry, er what group?
      LGBT people are as diverse a group with as an eclectic bunch of opinions as any other demographic. There *IS* no ‘community’.
      It is you who is trying to be conformist.

1. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 5:08pm

I would hardly take the word of an individual who makes conflicting posts in the same story as either intelligent or informed.

It diminishes us as a group of HUMAN BEINGS……..I wasn’t the one who said anything about gay / straight / chickens whatever…….that would be YOU!

1. Spanner1960 18 Sep 2012, 8:18am

You also used the word “community”, and I would hardly call the human race that. Stop back-pedalling.

1. colonelkira 18 Sep 2012, 12:46pm

I am one of like 3 people one here who have indicated that although i disagree with him, he is fully entitled to voice his opinions. That is hardly conformist behaviour in this thread wouldn’t you say?

You are truly…….TRULY…..a very stupid individual..

2. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 8:07am

A Trekkie calling *me* stupid?

53. Rupert’s acting career wasn’t adversely affected by his openness about his sexuality… if anything, it was his limited range and acting skills.

His comments about gay parenting reflect his own experience as an unhappy gay man. His narcissism, however, is unbounded. He doesn’t feel a part of the gay community (or more likely feels “above” it), and hence he makes damaging and ill-considered public pronouncements that the bigots and religious freaks then use to support their hate against gay people. I think Rupert should just STFU.

54. I totally agree with him.

In have been doing a campaign to stop gay men from from being USED as sperm donors.

I wear a T-Shirt say this very thing. NO to being a sperm donor.

I wish all you queers that want to breed and play happy families, get out of the gay community. You don’t belong in the gay community. You are an embarrassment.

I wish we can get our gay community back for gay men only, world wide.

1. “Gay Community”.

There never was a gay community.

There was only gay menn and women forced to frequent gay haunts as they were not accepted elsewhere.

This “Community” never existed.

It was a GHETTO.

2. You, radical53, are nothing more than a narrow minded, intolerant waste of air.

3. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 10:59am

Oh dear…….This poster is “this” close to making me regret my earlier push for tolerance and free speech!…..LOL

Girl…….ya’ gots ta go!

4. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 4:16pm

It is twats like Radical53 that reaffirm my belief that there is no such thing as a gay ‘community’.

As long as types such as him attempt to represent me, I will fight them tooth and claw.

1. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 5:11pm

How is it possible for him to be a twat, who is attempting to represent you when you agree with his point?

1. Spanner1960 18 Sep 2012, 8:21am

At what point do I agree with him?
          I don’t need any representation thank you.
          When I need a lefty mouthpiece, I will ask for one.

1. colonelkira 18 Sep 2012, 12:44pm

Begin quote “I personally think the perfect family has a Mother and a Father”

Agreement.

How can i be a lefty mouthpiece when all of my posts have been in support of RE being able to voice his opinion.

Not just uniformed, stupid as well it seems.

2. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 8:14am

@ColnelKira: At what point did I mention you?
            I was referring to Radical53 trying to impose his ‘socialist queer politics’ on the rest of us.

He no more speaks for LGBT people any more than Everett, or for that matter the likes of Stonewall or Tatchell.
            We all have the right to voice our personal opinions, but equally, we all have the right to disagree with others.

55. When two men or women can produce a child together then you people may have a point. But until this can happen – which will be never – I agree with Rupert

1. Kerry Hollowell 17 Sep 2012, 6:33am

hey listen Steve-O, any random male and female can produce a child, but it takes a lot to be a parent. I have 4 kids, two are adopted and two are my biological kids. Ask them what they think before you spout your vile vitriol.

2. ‘you people’…….I think that tells us all we need to know about you.

56. Just as how we Boycott Bigots, that’s how we are Boycott Rupert Everett!!!

57. Now I understand why it is best for some to remain in the closet! Obviously he thinks being gay is just about two men screwing around, but not that they can contribute to the wider society by raising a family consisting of children. I am so disturbed by his IGNORANT AND SELFISH statement. He is definitely NOT a role model for anyone in the gay community, but like it or not, he has just volunteered himself as a spokesman for anti-gay groups – WOW! What a way to go Everett, your mother must be proud now!

1. The funny is that, Putt, sometimes I also notice that most conservative closeted gay politicians also think being gay is just about two men screwing around, including paying male prostitutes for it. If anything it seems to me that bigotry and self-hating often lead to difficulty for maintaining healthy relationships.

58. Every time I read some thing about Mr. Everett, I am reminded of the groundbreaking movie “Boys in the Band” (1970) Never was there a more insular group of self hating and dysfunctional gay men. Each one some how sad, lonely and self deprecating with nothing good to say about each other or being gay! if ever a role in a remake was perfect for an actor this would be movie perfect for him! 42 years later he appears to be every thing people despaired after seeing that movie.

59. Kerry Hollowell 17 Sep 2012, 6:29am

Rupert should meet my 4 kids ask their opinion of having two gay Dads.
    It seems from the comments that he and his mother make that he is clearly troubled and hasn’t been loved of accepted for who he is, he doesn’t seem to accept or like himself very much.

60. Anyone who mentions gay rights or the cause in relation to children is obviously unfit to have any. Children are not pawns in a political game

Anyone willing to subordinate the interests of their child to their own interests (“rights”) is childishly selfish and also unfit for parenting. Fostering a child means putting the interests of the child first not second.
    And dont children generally desire to know both parents? In the absense of abuse ALL children desire both a father and a mother…
    Of course gays can parent but they cant replace a missing biological parent. Ask adoptive children…

61. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 7:25am

Before stating anything, let me just point out this is my opinion, nobody else’s, just like Everett’s.

The simple matter of fact is that it takes two sexes to make a baby, so in any gay relationship it is going to require a third to make the thing work. This also means that one of that couple is not going to actually be involved, so are effectively a step-Father/Mother.
    That is a FACT and there is no avoiding it.

I personally think the perfect family has a Mother and a Father, however, that does not mean imperfect ones cannot exist, including single parent and same sex ones, but one should always strive for perfection; There are far too many unwanted children brought into the world, and they are the ones that need loving parents, of whatever persuasion, to look after them, so why try to make something we cannot naturally achieve when there is the perfect opportunity for LGBT people to help the rest of society, instead of selfishly increasing the population even further?

1. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 11:06am

It is not a fact at all. babies are “made” on a daily basis. Therefore your argument, in it’s current form, towards same sex parenting is flawed.

1. Spanner1960 19 Sep 2012, 8:23am

Could you please explain to me how babies can be made from two males or two females without the involvement of the opposite sex?

Parthenogenesis, (fusing DNA from two sperm or two eggs to make a zygote) is currently impossible in humans.

2. I do have a personal belief that gay couples should look at adoption first, simply because I have a theory that that is what we are most needed for. However, I understand that many people have the drive to have their own kids. This is often evidenced by infertile couples to go to lengths to have their own. It’s a valid and reasonable wish, and I have no objections to any gay couple who wishes to do this.

1. Spanner1960 17 Sep 2012, 3:22pm

…except as I mentioned, only one of the couple can be a natural parent. So what happens if both parents want that role? Toss a coin?
        Not to mention the other natural parent might want inclusion.

I think it far better that people accept the natural order of things and take the option that neither are the biological parents, but both are contributing an equal share to the child’s welfare and upbringing.

62. It is all well and good having an opinion on this matter (one, which I disagree with happen to disagree with Mr Everett on).

However, these are always the comments that other opponents will seize upon and then claim that Mr Everett and his similar minded ilk are speaking for the entire LGBT community. In future, Mr Everett, please do keep these opinions to yourself. If you need to further your flagging career, then please find some acting roles that will stretch you and not one where you play an aristocrat with a plum in the mouth!

63. Which amply illustrates the epithet:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open you mouth and remove all doubt!

64. His mother sounds awful. Fancy wishing your son was straight.

1. I bet you 99% of mothers, deep down, would prefer their sons not to be gay, even if they would rather cut out their tongue than say so. Most people are indoctrinated with the idea that being gay is less than desirable and (until recently anyway) that a gay child means no grandchildren.

65. According to wikipedia, Rupert went to a Catholic school, ran away at 16 to London and got into prostitution for drugs and money at that early age. That sounds like an awful childhood to have had at the age of 16 and this comes from child brought up with a mother and father. I don’t tknow the reasons why he got into drugs and prostittion but having a mum and dad doesn’t end up in a happy childhood and he is an example of that…..he and his mum should know better than to criticise other family makeups!

66. colonelkira 17 Sep 2012, 11:07am

I’ve envisioned the title of his biography……..”When Rent Boys Go Bad”

The 3 people who read it will be thrilled!

67. ““I can’t think of anything worse than being brought up by two gay dads,”

Well, you obviously need to get out more then, Rupert – out of the small little circles it seems you move in. I’ve taught some very damaged children and not one of those has been the product of gay parents.

What a child needs isn’t straight parents or gay parents, it’s simply GOOD parents.

68. Everett is entitled to his opinion. HOWEVER, he knows that these comments will be jumped on by the anti-gay mob and used as ‘see, even he thinks it’s bad’. For that reason he should be careful what he says and how he puts it. It reads like a bitter queen with a bad taste in his mouth. He could have been far more diplomatic with his words.
    I also think it’s ironic that his mother says what a wonderful father he would make…… It’s odd that they would say this, and I think his mother’s influence has made him blinkered in this issue ( I avoid the word ‘self-loathing’, but Rupert clearly wishes he wasn’t gay…if that isn’t ‘self-loathing, I don’t know what is)

69. Robert in S. Kensington 17 Sep 2012, 12:32pm

Anne Widdecombe’s rally on October 8 will probably take Everett’s irresponsible statement to score points. She’ll say, see… a gay man agrees with us just like all of those gay self-haters she claimed who signed the C4M petition.

70. I can’t imagine a child with Gay parents growing up to be a bigot or a bully.

1. Are you being ironic, Aryu?

71. Wow. This dude’s internalised homophobia is practically through the roof. He should talk to someone.

72. Jim Nashville Tn 17 Sep 2012, 2:46pm

havent heard from Everett in a while does he have a movie coming out or a play that he needs help promoting ..
    I am sorry his mother and him are so homophobic and I am glad he doesnt identify with the gay community . maybe we can help him .. not pay his bills for awhile ..

73. So we are talking about wishes here… I think Rupert’s mother should marry a tribal man and live with him in the middle of nowhere, distant thousands of miles from civilization. I think that would make her think twice about what she has been wishing for her son.

1. I believe she did marry a tribal man – an upper-middle-class Englishman of the Catholic variety from a warrior clan.

74. leece Johnson 17 Sep 2012, 3:30pm

time he stopped thinking its dangerous for him to do so.

75. Rick Hurlbut 17 Sep 2012, 4:04pm

Rupert Everett, whatever you might think of his acting ability, is spoiled and narcissistic. As a case-study-of-one, I can see why he’d then conclude all gays to be incapable of parenting.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 17 Sep 2012, 7:04pm

He has no acting ability.

76. HE’S ALLOWED TO MAKE HIS OWN OPINION ISN’T HE ?

1. jamestoronto 18 Sep 2012, 5:43am

Yes. And we are allowed to comment on it too.

1. Most of these postings are not comments:- they are hate-spewing invective because most on here don’t know how to comment rationally and in an adult fashion, only how to react with vicious bile.

You are your own and indeed all gay peoples’ worst enemies because you rant and hurl “bigot” and “homophobe” at anyone who expresses a non-conforming opinion or doesn’t adhere to the militant gay party line, making you the same as your perceived enemies.

That’s right, BIGOTS one and all!

Fighting fire with fire creates an inferno and an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

No wonder you can’t see beyond your own me-me-me desires which must selfishly be pursued at all costs without adult debate, no matter whose opinions and beliefs you trample all over in the process.

77. Rupert Everett and his ghastly mother can think what they like: his ability to put his self-loathing foot in it whenever he’s been out of the press for too long isn’t news.

The only concerning thing is that people who want to do things like “protect traditional family values” will exaggerate this, and Rupert Everett’s personal opinion will become that of a “homosexual spokesperson”, a “leading member of the LGBT establishment” or some other such nonsense. For those who need to dispense with facts and reason to make their arguments, this is wonderful ammunition.

78. An alcoholic Father who beats the living crap out of your mother is much more horrific than what his small mind can comprehend.

A mother who spends her entire life fighting social services to care for her Downs Syndrome child is more than this spoilt child of a man could even get close too.

How dare this @rse say what he said/

79. Can’t think of anything worse than gay parents?

How about homophobic religious bigot parents?

80. Why do parents always think about themselves ?

His mum would prefer if he would go with a women ,well if she felt that strong about it ,why don’t his mum go with a women instead then ,and this is about her son who is Gay ,so why would he go with a women just to please his mother ?

I thank that I was brought up by parents who love me for who I am ,and not once thought about themselves only what was best for me .

81. Is he working for the daily mail now.
    Quick put him on a poster. Rupert hates Rupert… Victim.

82. It is bad enough when straight bigots talks this rubbish, but to get it from someone in your own community and someone of his stature, well frankly it’s like being stabbed in the back!

I am so glad I have a family who are supportive and caring and all that matters to my parents is that I am happy.

His mother’s only care is that her son marries a woman who can pop out some grandchildren. If that is not selfish I don’t know what is. And the fact he supports this view and then goes along and judges other gay men and woman by her standards is just appalling!

Fair enough we’re all allowed to have an opinion. But some opinions can be more damaging than others. Fine Mr Everett that’s what you think…then please keep it to yourself. You go ahead and live the life you want, but don’t feed the bigots ideas of your community by spewing out what THEY want to hear!

83. Wow. Self loathing much? And he can’t think of anything worse? What about paedophiles, rapists, murderers raising kids? I am a single mother, no child ‘needs’ a mum and a dad. I swear he’s a homophobic gay guy. What an utter prick.

84. Children should have positive male and female role models. Just because you are a father and mother doesn’t mean you will be good to or for your children. You might care for them or you might beat them up. I don’t use the word “stupid” much in my vocabulary but it’s just a stupid, illogical comment.