Church Group: Telling bullied kids ‘gay is okay’ is the same as saying ‘overeating is okay’

1. A goddamn disgrace this bigots are !!! Their promotion of bullying is doing a real great harm to society in general.They should not be allowed to hide in the guise of freedom of speech

1. Now remember, the sensitive little flowers don’t like being called bigots, even though it’s a 100% accurate label.

1. Don’t worry when the issue is settled like slavery,segregation and women rights they will keep their mouths shut !!!! Or face the consequences

2. Hiding in freedom of speech? I think she has rather exposed herself as a homophobic idiot with her head firmly implanted in her ass.

As painful as these bigots are, I’d rather have them out in the open. That’s the stick part of freedom of speech – either everyone has it or soon none of us will have it. And having her out in the open let’s us point out the stupidity of her opinions.

2. ewbd Toronto 14 Sep 2012, 8:34pm

My God never taught me anything like that. My God tells me that God’s love for everyone is universal, absolute, unconditional. These people are so wrapped up in their own delusions that reality has ceased to exist for them. Remember that God still loves them; God just wishes they’d stop attributiing their nonsense to anyone but themselves.

1. Your God is a delusion.

Please stop you and your delusional god and its hideous history from destroying other peoples lives.

Just stop it.

Keep your insanity to yourself.

I am sick and tired after 47 years of life watching everything GOD l BELIEFS have ruined.

Keep that crap to yourself. I would personally have you sectioned you such belief drivel.

1. Fenris Wolf 15 Sep 2012, 3:00am

“sectioned you such belief drivel?” I was riveted until that part. Then you utterly lost me.

2. just because you find something delusional it doesnt mean it is delusional

1. That There Other David 15 Sep 2012, 11:47am

So the tooth fairy and Santa Claus are both real are they?

1. That There Other David 15 Sep 2012, 12:22pm

Ooh, downvotes. As the deluded appear to be in attendance (and on the “real” Sabbath too :p) here’s another one for you. There’s no God, and you’re all wasting your time worshipping a piece of fiction.

Y’all have a nice day now.

2. try 5 year old for an answer

2. God just wishes they’d stop attributiing their nonsense to anyone but themselves.

With all due respect, what makes you more qualified to speak for your God than anyone else?

3. Sue Des Nimes 16 Sep 2012, 2:42pm

I didn’t realise you had a God of your own.

Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

3. Midnighter 14 Sep 2012, 8:55pm

These morons bring nothing but shame to the people of the USA. Their state of denial and delusion screams mental illness to me, and their ongoing message of hatred stinks of hypocrisy.

1. Well, I agree with you but — and I’m going to say this gently — let’s not forget which country the Calvinists and Baptists and other religious zealots came from in the first place…they didn’t originate in the US, did they? LOL

1. Switzerland and Germany and the UK were, as a general rule, rather happy to see them go, 2-3 centuries ago.

2. Not all of them did. But the Pentecostal.Alliance group was founded in the U.S. in the mid 19th century, and some of the “Christian” sects like the LDS have their origins in the U.S. as well. All in all, they are a gullible group.

3. “they didn’t originate in the US, did they? LOL”

This is irrelevant since these backward religious freaks are there now, and this is not the 1600.

4. The stuff the anti gay mob come out with gets more and more surreal.

If being gay is like overeating then presumably limiting myself to one man for more than 25 years – as I have – leaves me healthy – or perhaps even a tad undernourished.

Personally I think being homophobic is a bit like having a serious dose of bubonic plague. – Well admit it, that’s just as insightful an analogy…

5. only in america that so called beacon of democracy, where religious nutters can abuse anyone and anything they like.

1. And only the the UK dwells an ignoramus like Kane.

1. i guess the latin interjection makes your post ever so valid, althought I doubt it given that it is your only contribution on the subject

2. “And only the the UK dwells an ignoramus like Kane.”

I can only assume from this comment you support these religious hypocrites and their bigotry. You should read a book, other then the bible.

6. Again with the “It’s a choice” rubbish.
    As though people actively seek ways to get berated, bullied, and beaten up by their peers?

7. Anyone who thinks sexual orientation is a choice is surely, by definition, bisexual.

1. Or is fat christian fundie from the bible belt

2. That There Other David 15 Sep 2012, 11:51am

More complicated than that IMO. They cannot comprehend how anyone else would ever not follow the prescribed “lifestyle choice” their church demands, namely marriage at a young age, lots of kids, then death do us part. To them anyone who breaks away from that idea is making a “choice”. The reasons why simply don’t come into their way of thinking.

1. You are absolutely right !!! Deviation from social norms is always frowned and because of that you get most opposition to equality from reactionary forces and that is what I meant with christian fundies

3. No, because being a bisexual isn’t a choice either. If you’re a bisexual you can’t choose which gender you’re attracted to at any one time. It just depends on what people you happen to be attracted to.

8. Ey up… what’s new? Running out of things to accuse us of causing now, aren’t we? So to counteract this, we’ve started making up lame, boring statements that hold as much water as a sieve.

What will be the next lame untrue statement that you make? Find out in the next episode of Tales from the Sky Fairy.

9. I wonder who the next victim of hate will be when bullying us is no longer fashionable and they welcome us into their cult. It will happen, as more and more people leave them because of this type of rubbish, they will try to attract people back by saying gay is ok.

1. That There Other David 15 Sep 2012, 11:52am

Oh, they’ll probably go back to turning on one of the old favourites and start demanding pogroms.

10. The Mission America site appears to belong to one crazy woman with a PO box and a web page. She’s using her “cause” to glorify herself, not to mention promoting FRC’s trash publications.

11. It’s as though displaying absurd amounts of ignorance is considered a badge of honour among these people. I “pray” for the day when they are universally considered to be on the wrong side of history. They are, after all, objectively wrong, full stop.

12. Glad to be Canadian 15 Sep 2012, 1:49am

America is being taken over by the willfully ignorant. It’s scary.

1. Isn’t there something in their buy-bull about the meek inheriting the earth because it seems the earth is being taken over by the ignorant and very stupid.

13. Reed Boyer 15 Sep 2012, 3:08am

Linda Harvey is very loud and vicious and persistent, with a lack of humanity that brought her to land on the SPLC hate groups list. Really extreme. Don’t know if she’s in it JUST for the money, or if it’s in her head as well. I’d think the latter.

JCJ’s point is well- taken. It is pretty much her and a few cronies. These groups almost always are, and the competition for those valuable “fear-the-queer dollars” makes them louder and more strident.

“Mission America” is

14. Why don’t these idiots just say they hate gay people and be done with it instead of making endless false comparisons?

1. That There Other David 15 Sep 2012, 11:53am

Because “hate” isn’t allowed in Christianity of course. So they have to “hate” in more creative ways.

15. A sad frightened, confused and sick society.

16. Just point and laugh. They seem determined to shout about their ignorance from the rooftops.

17. John Matheson 15 Sep 2012, 8:08am

And telling kids that they are going to burn in hell is the same as child abuse

18. Argument from dodgy metaphor.
    Being gay is the same thing as overeating?!?
    Well perhaps if you’re partner is hung like the proverbial donkey and… well I don’t have to spell it out do I?
    So “we don’t approve of bullying, we simply want gay people to know they brought it on themselves” seems to be the thrust of her dumb dogwhistle argument. That and airbrushing us out of existence.
    Take note Linda Harvey, there’s a lot more readily available empirical evidence that LGBT people exist than there is of your god and his dodgy teachings.

19. ““There is no proof that there’s ever anything like a gay, lesbian or bisexual or transgendered child, or teen or human.” …..that’s because they’re too scared to say so!

20. I really hope it’s yet another case of a few deranged loons in some hick backwater, otherwise I’d despair. I’m coming to the point where I’m reluctant to read these articles any more, I sometimes wonder if we’re not giving them more publicity than they deserve.

21. “It’s not right to tell someone that being homosexual is okay. The person may be feeling sad because of being bullied, but never try to make him or [sic] feel better by saying “gay” is okay.

“Kids who are overweight are sometimes bullied, too. And we might want to make that person feel better. But it would be a mistake to say that overeating is a good thing, right?”

Perhaps this ignorant, nasty woman would like to replace “homosexual” and “gay” with the word “black” in the above statement. Then she might began to realise how hateful her comment is. Although I honestly doubt it. She gives every impression of being mentally ill, in my opinion, and needs help.

22. Paddyswurds 15 Sep 2012, 11:58am

Can’t these bigots be sued. They sue for just about anything in the US, why aren’t these people being sued at every opportunity. They are preaching falsehoods that affect peoples lives ffs….

23. Guglielmo Marinaro 15 Sep 2012, 1:23pm

This woman is a shining example of a religious sociopath. While people like this must be allowed the freedom to spout their nonsense to their hearts’ content, they must NEVER, in any capacity, be entrusted with the welfare of young people, who should be warned against their pernicious influence.

24. Dear Linda Harvey

Read your bible.

Timothy 2:12

I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.

25. Children should never be told that believing supernatural bilge is OK.

26. Linda Harvey must be a self-hating lesbian who has rejected her natural sexual orientation and chosen to live as a heterosexual bigot, how else could she think that homosexuality was a choice?

27. I thought God was love. Jesus loved everyone no matter what. It was Paul who had issues. Paul also thought slavery was ok, and that women should keep their heads covered and be submissive to their husbands. BTW–I wore cotten and linen together yesterday so I am an abomination. Don’t trust anything I say.

28. Cardinal Capone 18 Sep 2012, 3:21pm

I’ve never met Linda Harvy. Presumably therefore she doesn’t exist either.

29. Telling gay kids they are sinners is the same as telling black kids their skin is dirty and needs to be scrubbed with more soap