US: Coach allegedly kicked player off college team for kissing his boyfriend

1. Staircase2 12 Sep 2012, 2:00am

I thought the inclusion of the boyfriend’s age was worryingly salacious – what purpose does it serve to the story other than to distract from the important bit…?

I think Pink News should amend the article appropriately

1. Locus Solus 12 Sep 2012, 7:07am

I disagree, I think including the guys age puts this into context: if I watched an old dude making out with a teenage boy I would be freaked out! The same would be true for a 65 year old granny. The older guy should have known better than to make out with someone who could be his grandson.

1. Kissing is making out??? Love is love and no judgements should be made about it except to give best wishes. The worst homophobia come from within the gay community.

1. So you are saying that this pensioner, should completely ignore the fact that his boyfriend is a teenager, and therefore presumably he would less aware of the consequences of kissing his elderly boyfriend in public?

He sounds irresponsible and negligent at best.

2. Critics have questioned whether Mr Kuntz, would have been asked to leave the team if he had been kissing a girlfriend.

It would be interesting to know – if a 19yo was seen kissing a 65yo woman I’m sure it would, rightly or wrongly, be put in the category of ‘distracting’.

3. Let’s disregard the age difference between the two but focus on the main story here, the fact he was kicked off his team for kissing his boyfriend.

As I understand it, North Dakota is also a terrible place to be gay? Maybe an American reader of this site who lives there can shed any light?

1. Lets disregard the gender and focus on the age.

How do you think people would react?

4. I’m sorry but when I read this and saw the age difference my immediate reation was ewwww. A 19 year old kissing a 65 year old. It doesn’t matter that they were gay, the older person should have had a bit more sense. I agree with Locus Solus the 65 year old is old enough to be the 19 year old’s Grandfather……..

5. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 12:16pm

The age difference is a stretch to consider, for many there is a yuk factor. Which only goes to show that we all have our prejudices, and this on is just as irrational on mature reflection.

6. Wow! This was the last place I expected to see ageism!

If were 65 and single, I would consider myself damn lucky to have an affectionate, demonstrative teenage boyfriend.

1. And would you also completely disregard the potential damage to your 19 year old boyfriend’s reputation and prospects by engaging in such public behaviour?

They did nothing illegal, true, but the old guy should have stopped and thought about the consequences of his actions, on his much younger boyfriend.

7. I’m gay and even I think that a 19yr old kissing a 65yr old is weird. Maybe he shouldn’t have been kicked off the team but you don’t know how affectionately they were kissing each other. I wouldn’t want to see that at every game! And before everyone starts ranting I would feel EXACTLY the same way about a 19yr old girl turning up with a 65yr old man.

1. Well it’s legal so people’s opinion on the age difference are a red herring.

I think the real story is the lack of responsibility and due care taken by the pensioner, towards his teenaged boyfriend’s reputation.

1. Legal it may well be but it doesn’t mean it’s morally right. If the boyfriend was the same age as him I would be more concerned about why people objected to it. But I completely understand why ANYONE would have an issue with a 65yr old. It would make me uncomfortable.

8. Tom Cotner 12 Sep 2012, 2:47pm

It seems to me that all the commenters are missing the point. The man lied to his coach. Whether that was distracting or not, the lie was enough, in the coach’s mind to kick him off.
    If one wants to be honest about his sexuality, then he must also be honest in his statements.
    I regret that the man was removed from the team, and eventually left the school over it. Even though the gender issue was secondary, the fact remains that he lives in a very homophobic state in a very homophobic country.
    I do hope that he gains a bit of maturity over the matter.

1. Steve U.K. 12 Sep 2012, 5:37pm

It seems to me that he shouldn’t have been put in a position where he had to make a choice about telling the truth or lying – and lying to my mind was understandable in the circumstances. As for the age issue – grow up you lot, two adults who love each other kissing for goodness’ sake… if you don’t like it, look away.

9. I agree with Shasha – ageism! Kissing is making out??? Love is love and no judgements should be made about it except to give best wishes. Young men loving old men and vice versa is as old as time itself! The worst homophobia come from within the gay community.

1. If you are saying that the older man should completely ignore his responsibility to make sure that the relationship does not damage the younger party then I disagree.

Did the old man not stop to think about the consequences for the teenager in being seeing kissing a pensioner, in front of his schoolmates?

10. Ageism, sexism, homophobia is more rampant in the gay community than anywhere else. I am surprised to see it so blatant on this site. Sad.

1. Why are you defending the negligence and irresponsibility of the old man in this situation.

their relationship is legal so the age difference is irrelevant.

The choice by the old man to ignore the potential harm to his teenaged boyfriend by kissing him in public was an appalling choice.

11. Isn’t the rule, when it comes to these relationships where there is a large age gap between the parties, that the younger party should not be damaged by the relationship.

Considering the fact that he’s been sacked from his team, and had his picture splashed all over the internet, then in this instance the older guy seems to have broken the rule.

12. I am very concerned also about the ageist comments on here! So suddenly the LGBT community has the right to put age barriers on sections of our own society for dating or forming relationships with other guys who may be decade’s apart in age? Why on earth does a persons age matter if the two involved are in love? Why are’nt you harrasing the gay web sites who put section on ‘older for younger’ and vice versa? I have heard no complaints on that front from anyone, yet suddenly people are freaking out over 2 same sex guys. The age difference matters not a jot!

1. Staircase2 12 Sep 2012, 9:15pm

well said

13. Staircase2 12 Sep 2012, 9:14pm

Predictably everyone chose not to focus on the actual PROBLEM and instead focused on the age of the boyfriend – which is EXACTLY why I suggested it should not have been put into the article in the first place because in this context it is clear that people on here are not bright enough to concentrate on what ACTUALLY matters.

Pink News – please take the age issue part out so that everyone can take a deep breath and start thinking again…

1. The 46 year age difference is relevant, in the sense that a responsible 65 year old, would not put his teenaged boyfriend in a situation which could have negative consequences for the teenager. The pensioner should have known better.

1. Staircase2 14 Sep 2012, 5:18pm

It’s not relevant to the STORY (whether it’s relevant to ANOTHER story is, quite literally, ANOTHER STORY….)

This story is about homophobia – not ageism

Gird up your intellectual loins, young David and THINK about what you’re speaking about for a (nice) change…

14. 65 and 19? So that would be like me (at 46), one day having a b/f who was just born today.

15. I have no issues whatsoever about 2 boyfriends kissing I have issues with a 65 yr old man having a 19 yr old partner as I would had it been a male-female

16. Yes, it’s a bit tabloidy to include the age of the boyfriend but it is part of the story. The whole thing seems strange. For a teenager to kiss his pensioner boyfriend in a sports stadium sounds like a very deliberate gesture. They will both have known that the same sex nature of it AND the age gap would both cause comment. Then to lie about it… What’s going on? I’m not condemning the relationship but they both seem a bit immature. Having said that, the coach should have been more mature than to rise to the bait.

17. Whether you approve of the relationship or not, you kind of have to admire what a ballsy thing it is for a teenage football player to kiss his boyfriend at a game like that.

I think North Dakota’s also the state where some kid – a teenage mechanic with balls apparently made of steel – was going around counter-protesting for gay rights at tea party rallies. Must be something in the water up there.

18. I’m not 65, but am middle-aged. I find it difficult to talk to teenagers, as I have no point of reference, no common experience. Having said that, I wonder why my reaction on reading the ages was disbelief, followed by negativity. Was it envy?

19. People want to be politically correct talking about ageism but I have a problem with a senior citizen chasing a teenage boy. I read another article and Jamie’s mother is NOT HAPPY her son is dating an old man.

Some gay people are pretty hypocritical, this old guy is a pervert chasing a nineteen year old kid. It is clear to me Jamie needs guidance this old man wants one thing and one thing only.

1. Staircase2 14 Sep 2012, 5:21pm

Maybe so – but it AIN’T RELEVANT TO THE BLOODY STORY…

Sheesh…! What is it with you people….?

20. If both of them are in this relation consensual, it is nobody’s business to call them out on the age difference! Please keep that in mind, the next time you want respect for your choices.

21. Ageism is a contention of perspective. If one was 30 and the other 90 it is still outside the traditional dating range but the fact that the man in focus is 19 and still emotionally immature to be sexually involved with a man 46 years older than him. I brings up the questions of manipulation by the older man or possible abuse that started before he reached the age of 19.
    A pedophile is a pedophile even if their victim has reached legal adult age.