Conservative MP calls on Nick Clegg to quit over ‘bigot’ row

1. Well it would be a bigot who calls on Nick Clegg to resign! DO us all a favour Mr. Bone and hand in your own resignation first you vile excuse for a human being.

1. If the DPM must resign for potentially (but not actually) saying or doing something Peter Bone finds offensive.
      Then surely Peter Bone must go one step beyond simple resignation for actually saying and doing things which LGBT individuals of the voting public find offensive and discriminatory.

2. Exactly. What an excuse for a man, poor Mrs Bone.

2. The Halcyon 12 Sep 2012, 10:41am

Geez, jump on a bandwagon much Boney? You can’t punish people for something they “might” have said. What a crock.

3. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 10:46am

Maybe he shouldn’t have called them bigots, though that’s what many of them are. He hold have used the more politically correct term “asshole”.

Which raises another point: opponents complain about political correctness in attempts to be fair and equal to lgbt people. Yet they object to blunt language about their own homophobia, or when referring to religious extremists ( at least when they are Christian ones). It seems thy don’t mind political correctness (aka good manners) when referring to people they like.

1. As an aside I think, the context being British, ‘arsehole’ might be more appropriate.

2. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 3:43pm

I was using the word attributed to Morgan Freeman, as the definition of a homophobe.

1. Fair enough. :-)

4. I was thinking the same thing. Mr. Bone is right out of Minority Report…ready to culturally indict someone for something they have yet to say. What’s that word you British use that I like so much? Oh yeah…what a wanker!

1. Hahaha!! Yes as a brit myself I so LOVE that word!!! It has a wonderful flow to it! lol

2. Spanner1960 15 Sep 2012, 1:55pm

I doubt it.
      Even his right hand keeps saying “Not tonight, I’ve got a headache”

1. Gary Farrimond 16 Sep 2012, 2:20pm

what a wanker!

Pity Mr Bone’s father wasn’t a wanker!

5. Is it ok to call a spade a spade?

1. That There Other David 12 Sep 2012, 10:58am

In the case of Mr Bone the word “tool” is most appropriate.

2. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 12:28pm

I suggest a parliamentary motion to decide whether he is a tool or an asshole.

6. If you are opposed to equal civil rights you are a bigot.

I suppose those pathetic quislings at LGBTory have nothing to say as usual.

1. dAVID

LGBTories support a party that announced its intention to investigate legalising equal marriage in its 2010 election manifesto material. (Labour and the Lib Dems didn’t.) The Conservative Prime Minister is spearheading the legalisation of SSM despite opposition from the Catholic Church, the evangelical churches, and MPs such as Peter Bonehead, who I would very much like to see replaced by a progressive Conservative MP who supports modernisation, reform, and full equality for LGBT people. I would not vote for a politician, even a Conservative one, who does not support equal LGBT rights, and I wish nobody else would.

The irony is that it is the “pathetic quisling” Tories and their coalition partners who are making SSM possible.

PN readers will of course have different opinions about politics. But how about us acknowledging and honouring what we have in common, and focusing on that? United we stand; divided we fall.

2. Of course they don’t. Their heads will pop out of their little holes only when their PR master thinks its appropriate, to use for political reasons. Meanwhile they are concentrated in defrauding the populace, now with the help of a convicted LibDem fraudster back in the game. Their only real aim is to concentrate as much wealth as possible before they are kicked out of their usurped time in power.

7. “We do not want equal rights for a certain group of citizens. But we are not bigots.”

Sorry. Looks like a duck, walks like a duck. Its a f#*ckn duck.

Why can’t these bigots not OWN their bigotry.

1. Sorry Dave I can hardly breath after reading your ‘duck’ comment!! It’s up there as a awesome comment!!! lol brilliant!!!!

2. You nailed it Dave. I’m always amazed when homophobes and bigots took offense at being called homophobic and bigoted for spewing homophobic, bigoted garbage.

8. An anti-equality propaganda push. Firstly, Nick Clegg said he didn’t use that word, so why leap in to judge? Secondly, – oh right – all the “millions” of people opposed to redefining marriage blah blah. That’d be millions like in ‘One Million Moms’, would it? And nobody’s going to redefine marriage or interfere or affect anyone else’s marriage.

Someone who makes discriminatory comments about black people (or any other race – this fits my example here) is a racist. The fact they use the bible to do so doesn’t make their comments any less racist or offensive. Same goes for discriminatory comments about LGBT people.

The fact that bigots are impervious to reason proves they are bigots. I’ve yet to hear one sensible reason against equal marriage – it’s all lies, scare-mongering and hypocrisy.

9. He can’t exactly complain about being insulted by something Nick Clegg might have said when he goes on to say: “It also shows his contempt for the millions of ordinary men and women in this country who oppose the politically correct drive to rip up the centuries old definition of marriage,” He just implied that a significant portion of the population are abnormal for supporting marriage equality. Hypocritical much?

1. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 11:30am

He has been much more blunt than that, and called the plans “nuts”, echoing the cardinal that called them “madness”. So he thinks it’s ok to question the sanity of supporters, but when the response is equally blunt he runs to report it to teacher.

What an asshole.

1. I admire your commitment to the use of the word asshole.

10. The Coalition for Marriage, which opposes equal marriage rights for same sex couples described the remarks as “intolerant”.
    The pot is calling the kettle black.

11. Bigots arent what they used to be. They used to own their bigotry, be proud of it. These days they seems to be just as bigoted, just rather ashamed to admitted it.
    Perhaps Mr Bone would prefer ‘Coward’ as a label?

12. Haha this from an MP who was happy to actually use dubious figures on Newsnight in a debate about Equal Marriage. Mr Bone, hypocrisy be thy name

13. ‘The Coalition for Marriage, which opposes equal marriage rights for same sex couples described the remarks as “intolerant”.’

This really doesn’t need any comment, does it?

14. The only thing Cleggy did wrong in calling the bigots a bigot is then backtracking

Cleggy, the bigots were never going to vote Lib Dem (well, these days I don’t think many people are going to vote Lib Dem, but that’s another matter), but by backtracking you damaged yourself in the eyes of those you were supposed to be supporting

Grow a spine man!

1. I agree , why retract the term bigots. That’s what these people are.

15. It seems extraordinary to me that there is a major discussion being conducted around what a politician did not say …..

16. Dear Mr. Bone

A definition of a bigot is not clearly available but when people even though they were probably told hundreds of time now that it is not true that “traditional marriage” is an age old institution and has always been between a man and a woman then Yes Sir, You are a bigot if you are not able to accept a truth outside of your believe system which is factually true

17. I think Mr Bone needs to get out a dictionary. They are bigots and I believe that Mr Clegg has every right to use the word. There is no way that he should apologise, or resign, over writing the truth in a draft. Plus, he just said about ‘ordinary’ men and women, sorry…. But what? Really? And you aren’t a bigot?

18. Resign? It is quite possibly the only thing Clegg has said in recent times to make him electable.

1. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 12:25pm

Almost said?

2. Said . . . then retracted!!!

19. I suppose we should be grateful to people like Bone, Dorries and Fox, they will bring about a change of government yet will retain their safe seats. It’s the moderate, socially liberal conservatives I have some sympathy with. Especially those in marginal seats who will be brought down by the dinosaurs.

1. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 12:24pm

Bone, Dorries and Fox. Sounds like a Dickensian law firm covered in cobwebs.

20. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 12:22pm

I don’t want to be personal, but Peter Bone (sic) really ought not to go for a Bouffant hairdo with so little hair. The shaved look would suit him far better.

1. Christopher 12 Sep 2012, 12:33pm

He does look like one of those music composer busts that are on the front cover of many students’ music dictation books.

1. That’s way too complimentary!

21. Robert in S. Kensington 12 Sep 2012, 12:34pm

Civil marriage isn’t a centuries old tradition in the UK and departed, even redefined marriage allowing divorced people to remarry as many times as they wish. It doesn’t mandate procreation and it doesn’t invoke a supernatural deity.

Pity the Tory party can’t boot this idiot out. Nick Clegg should not apologise and using the word “bigot” is more than apt, whether he said it or not or even implied it. The intolerance Bone speaks of is coming from him and his ilk as well as the lies, fear-mongering and hateful rhetoric. The longer the equal marriage debate drags on, expect to read and hear far more from these vile, illogical, irrational people. I just hope they don’t get to sabotage a vote in Parliament. We need Tory votes to make it happen and from what I can see, there aren’t enough to make it a reality. Not even a hundred of them have indicated they will vote for it.

22. If someone opposes equal rights for certain racial groups then it is reasonable to call them a racist. If they oppose equal rights for women, it’s appropriate to call them sexist. If they oppose equal rights for gay people it’s accurate to call them homophobic. All of these are forms of bigotry and therefore people holding these views are bigots. Perhaps the Coalition for Marriage proponents are offended because they weren’t more accurately called “hypocritical bigots”?

23. What does British politics have to do with Swedish football manager Sven Goran Eriksson anyway?

24. Bone[head] sounds like the sort of person who’d whinge about “political correctness gawn mad”, so it’s ironic beyond parody that he’s getting all hypersensitive at being called [or not quite called] what he is.

25. tories would call on clegg to qut if he sneezed – nowt to do wi’us

26. Look you Bone head this is what bigot means.
    “One who is strongly partial to one’s own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ”. This is a little bit like your self BONE HEAD.
    Thought MP’s where supposed to be intelligent!!!! PUKE

27. Bone has a long history of abusing his power to push a prejudiced and bigoted agenda and he is not fit for office.

28. But Mr Bone…they ARE bigots!!!!! I only wish Mr Clegg had had the gonads to have gone with the original text!!!

29. Can Pink News please contact Matt Sephton or LGBTory and ask whether LGBTory regards Peter Bone a bigot, whose extremism belongs in the BNP, and if they support the expulsion of Peter Bone from the Tory Party?

It’s time those pathetic uncle Tom’s at LGBTory start being accountable for the extremist bigotry within the Tory Party.

30. The things that would always surprise me is how fast those bigots will demand the resignation of an opponent because they feel to be mistreated, but it never occur to them that they do exactly what they reproached to other. That’s the problem with bigots, they always feel that they have rights they denied to others, rights coming from their believes and the way they see God.

31. I agree and often wonder about the lives of partners married to these bigots. I dread to think what it must be like to be children of such awful excuses for human beings. (to quote D. McCabe).

1. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 4:28pm

No need to wonder, as according to The Independent she also works for him – at the taxpayer’s expense – at a salary of £40k – £45k.

32. Garry Cassell 12 Sep 2012, 3:33pm

Mr. Bonehead…you are the bigot…bigot…bigot……resign…hide…disappear….do everyone a favour..

33. Robert Brown 12 Sep 2012, 3:48pm

Mr Bone has never voted for equality . . . he has NO right representing the wonderful people of Wellingborough . . .

34. we would all have replaced the words “some peple” in his speech with bigots anyway….

A bit of shame though that this reception will only be remembered for something Clegg didn’t say.

The apology in the independatn is cringe making

“Indeed, I know people myself who do not support equal marriage and, although I disagree with them, clearly I do not think they are bigots.

“Nor do I think it is acceptable they, or any one else, are insulted in this way. “

35. Oh don’t you just love these idiots attempting to run our country? They act like children and then wonder why no one turns out to vote for them. If Clegg does think they are bigots then stand by it and don’t be a spineless wimp and apologise! As Bone who really cares what he has to say? Until I read this I’d never even heard of him.

36. Joe Johnston 12 Sep 2012, 4:09pm

What a pity that most of the respondents to this news story seem to completely misunderstand the issues – and, incidentally, are unable to comment without being offensive.
    As a gay man I have no interest in being ‘married’ – a state which is applicable to a man, a woman and having children. I do, however, welcome the equalisation of rights which permits me to have a Civil Partnership – with all the rights, benefits and responsibilities that go with that and which are essentially identical with those of marriage. Why do so many of your correspondents, after a lifetime of proudly proclaiming our ‘difference’ (in my case, over fifty years of doing so) now want to pretend that we are not different after all.
    It is the rights that go with marriage and civil partnership that are important – not the institutions themselves.

1. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 4:32pm

There is nothing rational or factual in your comment. Is that Spanner just being contentious again?

1. Spanner1960 15 Sep 2012, 2:00pm

Don’t blame me.
        I don’t need sock puppets, and as many know, I am very pro Same-sex marriage.

2. I take it you’re signed up to C4M. If not, you should be. They would love having you – as long as you stay on that side of the room of course.

3. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 5:25pm

Oh, and I am a member of the Papal Curia and I signed the Campaign for Equal Marriage petition ;)

4. Joe, kindly take the trouble to get your facts right before trolling !

You should know that civil partnership do NOT have all the rights, benefits and responsibilities that go with marriage.

This video shows why you are so wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6I72W9SMM

5. You may proudly proclaim you are “different”, I however, do not. I am no different to the straight girl next door. I want a family, I want a child, I want a nice house and a good job. I want to be happy and see my family thrive. my only “difference” is that I am a woman who wants a wife not a husband. That is my only difference.

Also, from your comment I could assume you don’t think infertile couples should be allowed to get married… as they cannot have children…

37. Cardinal Capone 12 Sep 2012, 4:14pm

Well at least Mr. Bone, in line with good family values, pays his wife a generous salary, according to The Independent:

“MPs are still paying nearly £3m of public money to family members despite attempts by the new expenses watchdog to tighten up the system, research for The Independent has found…
    Among those MPs who paid the highest amount to family members of between £40,000 and £45,000 were:

* Peter Bone, Conservative MP for Wellingborough, who, in the financial year to April 2011, employed his wife Jeanette as office manager.”

38. Peter & Michael 12 Sep 2012, 4:38pm

So Mr Clegg has said the truth, whether smoking is better than being Gay or humanity will fail if we pass same-sex marriage, the odds are that David Cameron will back track on his promise that same-sex marriage will become a reality before an election is called in 2015. This election will be an uprising by the voting population, the Conservatives will not win because they will have lost the Gay and Grey vote, the Lib-Dems will have lost the student vote, Labour are still in the doldrums whether and if they can accept the Lib-Dems in coalition, if Ukip field a candidate in every seat within the country, will Ukip win with their anti-gay credentials, our guess is they will. The country is absolutely fed up with the political scene as it is and this will be the consequence.

1. And they will also lose the disabled vote.

39. Nick Clegg should only apologise for dismissing the use of the word “bigot” to honestly describe… bigots.

40. These BIGOTS know very well that the word ‘bigots’ appeared in a DRAFT of the speech which was released by mistake, and immediately retracted when the error was discovered. Bone and Carey just show themselves up for what they are, homophobic bigots!!!

41. Carey is bigot and his church is a business involved in the coercion and infliction of prejudice onto vulnerable people who been misguided believe they are being spiritual. What are the uncle toms involved with this church business doing ? apart from supporting bigotry of LGBTs.

42. It is Mr Bone who should be explaining himself as to why he calls a piece of Human Rights legislature,for that is exactly what it is, ” completely nuts”. Mr Bone????

43. Hang, hang on, folks. Am I reading this right? All this fuss is about something Clegg actually didn’t quite sort of say? I mean, it’s actually a bit of a hoot that this has happened; it’s hard enough to find anyone who still pays the slightest attention to what the man actually does say. Yer gotta larf!

1. Er.. sorry about all those ‘actuallies’. Still laughing at this news item!

44. Wellingborough is a backward town with backward views…..gay people are few and far between….its in the country so many interbreds…if you come from here then you soon move on after 16….

45. Clegg should have stuck to his guns, called them bigots and refused to apologise !

Splendid leading article comment in today’s Evening Standard (scroll down to the third one).

46. johnny33308 12 Sep 2012, 9:27pm

Opponents of equal marriage for all citizens are indeed BIGOTS…so calling them that is totally appropriate, as well as being the truth. Those who oppose full civil marriage equality do so on ‘religious’ grounds and need to be eliminated from CIVIL government since they obviously cannot complete their DUTIES to all CIVIL citizens due to their inability to separate their PERSONAL religious beliefs from their CIVIL duties….

47. johnny33308 12 Sep 2012, 9:30pm

It is now “intolerant” to call a bigot a bigot….well, if they spoke about other races in the way they speak about LGBTIQ people the uproar would be deafening…and why should anyone be “tolerant” of BIGOTRY of ANY sort? These bigots wish for us to be ‘tolerant’ of their bigotry? Especially in reference to full CIVIL Equality? What sort of morons are they?

48. Kevin the Gay 12 Sep 2012, 10:36pm

Not getting a boner from this idiot.

49. essexgirlbecky 13 Sep 2012, 3:16pm

Not very bright these Tory MPs. The argument works both ways. If he believes that LGB people are second class citizens not worthy of the same rights as everybody else, he is clearly not a fit and proper person to represent the interests of his LGBT constituents. Perhaps he ought to do the decent thing and resign. In fact, there is no perhaps about it and the office of Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough and Burnham is currently vacant :)

50. Andrew Paul Landells 13 Sep 2012, 7:51pm

The worst part about this whole sorry affair is that he never actually called anyone a bigot anyway!

Never mind that these people actually *are* bigots and deserve to be called what they are, the fact of the matter is that he hasn’t actually done anything here, I don’t even know why he’s apologising…

51. Don Harrison 16 Oct 2012, 5:32pm

For the man who is the biggest bigot of them all in parliament, he has noting to talk about.

52. Bone is the Dennis Skinner of the Tory Party. He’s not happy unless he’s making a derisive joke about somebody. He’s three shiniest example of bigotry in Westminster.