Hollywood director links incest with equal marriage

1. Words fail me!

Incest is wrong!

Same sex marriage is just right!

1. Hmmmm, methinks people are not reading my post correctly! Unless those who have thumbed down are into incest? Numpties!

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 6:47pm

@D.McCABE….
        …….There are morons trolling these pages who even mark down typo corrections, as I’m sure you have noticed. I suspect some of them are the product of incest and only have enough brains to keep them breathing…..

1. Very true Paddy!

2. What’s worse. Two unrelated people who have been raised as a brother and sister becoming a couple. Or two genetically related brother/sister, who have been raised separately, becoming a couple not being aware of their similar genetic heritage?

2. I don’t get it. He’s right. You should love who you want.

1. Yes agree, I don’t know what the point is here, he wasn’t trying to be homophobic, and I don’t think he was.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Sep 2012, 2:48pm

I believe this is the same Nick Cassavetes, the son of Amerian actress Genna Rowlands.

I think this is an overreaction. Of course incest is wrong but linking it with equal marriage makes absolutely no sense. Incest is as hold as human civilisation, almost entirely heterosexual in nature. The old testament is evidence of that if he’d care to read it.

If he’s trying to link it with equal marriage then surely wouldn’t he be able to provide the factual evidence for it? After all, it’s been legal in Holland for almost twelve years, long enough for incest as well as polygamy to have taken hold in the western world.

4. PantoHorse 11 Sep 2012, 2:53pm

He really needs to work on his interview technique….

5. I’m not offended, he has a good point. Incest isn’t wrong, it may seem weird and strange to a lot of people, but then so does homosexuality, it doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I don’t understand how we can fight for equal rights for gay couples and at the same time hate on consenting adults in an incestrious relationship.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 7:08pm

Even though the Buybul extolls the virtues of Incest, we don’t pay any heed as we all know the buybul is a lot of “hooey” as Judge Judy would say.
      However if we had indulged in incest down the ages of our evolution we would not have survived or at least we would be babbling idiots crawling around on our bellies by now, which is why mankind saw fit to ban this hideous crime. Incest is wrong on so many levels, but most importantly on a genetic level and that alone makes it totally prohibitive if nothing else. It is, simply put, Sick……

6. Inbreeding, due to incest, induces deleterious mutations if they bare a child… It’s destructive.

Gay marriage holds no risks like the above. Children aren’t harmed, that’s for sure.

1. Yes, but his point was that AS LONG AS YOU’RE NOT BREEDING CHILDREN then there aren’t any problems. If the genetic inheritance thing is the only hitch then what’s the harm if you don’t do that bit?

1. Try telling the two individuals partaking in sex, who love each other, that they must never have children together, ever. The risk outweighs the so-called benefits. Condoms etc don’t always work, so I’ll keep my opinion. If they wish to have sex then a vasectomy or tubal ligation must be mandatory.

1. Forced Sterilisation is inhumane and an overreaction in today’s climate. There are multiple forms of contraceptives being used, and are much more effective used in tandem. Otherwise abortion could be used as an unfortunate final option.

Considering the British Royal family is the most famous example of incestal breeding throughout the ages, it may seem a little callous for incestal couples to accept this however.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 7:16pm

@Paul…
            ….so you advocate killing the innocent unborn so a few weirdos can have it away with their sisters or mothers. The whole idea is sick, and those who advocate incest need talking to by the Police…..

2. Ever heard about the x linked chromosome disease once called “the royal disease”? Yes, I’m sure those children deserved the haemophilia their parents so ignorantly passed on to them. (though, I’m sure they didn’t know genetics like we do now) <<< all the more reason why sterilisation is needed.

The people talking about inbreeding between distantly related humans should stop going on, please. We're ALL distantly related to one another. I doubt there's one human on this entire planet that's not distantly related to me (unless something went terribly wrong there haha).

2. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 7:13pm

@VP..
        …and if you allow the hideous crime of Incest how do you propose policing it so that only those who are barren can indulge. Surely we would eventually see the dire consequences. Sometimes I do suspect that some of the contributors on these threads are the product of secret incest, by the rubbish they come out with, like you are doing here for instance…..

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Sep 2012, 3:43pm

Interestingly, 26 American states permit first blood cousin marriages, 24 reject it because the bloodline isn’t entirely eradicated if children result from such marriages.

In the UK one can marry one’s cousin thanks to Henry VIII who married his own. Nowadays, such marriages need the input of a GP in terms of any children that might be planned. Yet, this is never condemned as incest. Imagine the uproar if it were. It would really send the C4M/CI and religious denominations in opposition into a tailspin by debunking the equal marriage equals incest and polygamy red herrings.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 7:20pm

@Robert…
        ….. “Interestingly, 26 American states permit first blood cousin marriages,” ……. and we can see the consequences of that in these states. I am only surprised that it is only 26. The way Americans are behaving at the moment indicates a figure much higher. The whole bloody country, with a very few exceptions, is currently displaying an ignorance that could only come from the idiocy often caused by inbreeding.

1. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 7:27pm

btw…isn’t incest sexual relations between family members such as brothers and sisters, fathers and daughters or mother son. I am aware that there are also consequences for cousins and even further apart such as carriers of Cystic Fibrosis where people 10 or more generations apart but related are both carriers of the same defective gene which will often cause havoc such as CF…..

1. “And even further apart”? As far as I’m aware, no, there’s an increase in birth defects for the children of first cousins from 2% (for any two random people) to 4%, and any further apart, there is no detectable increase – in fact, any further apart than first cousins and your genes are just as different as any two random people’s genes are. Obviously, yes, if two people 10 generations apart have the same genetic disorder it’s more likely to be passed onto their children, but that’s the same chance as two people who are as unrelated as it’s possible to be (that 2% chance again) – they may still, by pure chance, carry the same genetic disorder.

7. He made a stupid analogy. But then he’s made a film with a twisted subject matter anyway, so taste and common sense aren;t something I’d associate with him.

8. Did he direct the classic movie “brothers should do it”?

9. Is this man really the son of gifted actor and director, the late John Cassavetes? His back catalogue of movies is seriously pants.

I’ll resist the temptation to make any jokes about the incestuousness of Hollywood (mostly because I’m not funny), but a boycott of his movies seems a bit extreme and actually borders on moral panic.

I think this has all been distorted and sensationalised. The content of his statements was not an attack on gay rights or the gay community. He is very much mistaken in his views, but not evil for expressing them.

10. Isn’t incest predominantly a feature of the straight world? It’s surely less likely in the LGBT community. Why does it keep being linked with LGBT? Is it really complicated?

1. It’s much less likely to happen in the LGBT community due to chance. Two gay family members is quite rare, then add in the already extremely unlikely incestal attraction (then the willingness to act on it) means it has a extremely low probability of it occuring.

It is included in the LGBT community rights however because it is also seen (by both side) as part of the sexual liberation debate, even if it is not seem that way by the LGBT.

11. All the thumbs-down for incest are the sort of knee-jerk prejudice lgbts have suffered for centuries. The genetic dangers of close relatives having children together are obvious and so this should obviously be avoided. Otherwise, no consensual adult sexual relations should be subject to moral opprobrium and certainly not to criminal sanctions. The irrational hypocrisy around this is incredible: I once saw a documentary about a (genetically unrelated) couple who had been warned that they both carried a gene which presented a very high risk of their having a severely disabled child who would probably die in infancy. But they were planning to have a child – and were treated in the programme with totally uncritical sympathy. Frankly sickening. Let anyone marry who is a willing and uncoerced adult – and be counselled against having children where it is clearly advisable.

12. Paddyswurds 11 Sep 2012, 5:57pm

I don’t think he was linking incest with marriage equality.
    It is just more of the atrocious writing style or lack of by Pink News staff writers.
    Several times recently I have gone back to see who wrote a story and discovered it was this Scott Roberts. Usually its missing words, whole lines or even paragraphs making most of his writing illegible…. which explains why more and more PN readers are abandoning the site and moving on to Towelroad, New Republic and others.

1. Can you please join them Xx.

13. colonelkira 11 Sep 2012, 6:41pm

I believe he was trying to make a positive point but didn’t do it very well!………Definitely needs to choose his words a little more carefully is all there is to this methinks!

14. So a male and a female, who happen to be brother and sister, have sex and the nearest thing that leaps into Cassavetes mind is GAY relationships?? Surely, if he had a point to make it would be along the lines of heterosexual relationships and ‘loving whom you want’.

Incest is a separate matter from same sex marriage, and whether people are in favour of it or not, I do wish they’d stop lumping the two things together – whether to use as a stick to beat us with (“If you let two men get married, next thing you’ll have is a father marrying his son”) or linking it with same sex marriage.

If people want/don’t want incest start your own campaigns or protests but it’s wrong to suggest that it somehow goes hand in hand with same sex relationships. The vast majority of people engaging in incest are straight.

15. You have just made the biggest mistake of your life and of your career. You are a sick man. I shall not be going to any of your ‘movies’.

16. Robert Brown 11 Sep 2012, 10:02pm

Being in Hollywood I wonder if he’s spoken with Woody Allen recently . . .

17. Robert Brown 11 Sep 2012, 10:03pm

Being in Hollywood, I wonder if he’s spoken with Woody recently . . .

;0)

18. I don’t get the problem here?

1. “Gay marriage – love who you want?

He added: “If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”

He’s hardly saying that same-sex marriage is wrong, is he? Isn’t it just poor interview technique?

19. You people who are spouting all this stuff about incest being sick, do you know what you sound like? Hateful bigots, just like homophobes.

I am completely in agreement that it is dangerous and wrong for heterosexual incestuous relationships to produce children, but who are we to condemn their love? No condoms are not perfect, but there’s also birth control pills, and soon probably male birth control pills, and if necessary abortions. You may be weirded out or sickened, that’s your issue. Keep your hateful comments to yourself.

For same sex incest it’s even simpler. Their relationship can’t hurt anyone other than those who are freaked out by it. Well, I am sure my relationship with my boyfriend (who I am not related to!) would freak out a lot of backward, ignorant, closed-minded people. How can I consider myself enlightened and accepting if I condemn two brothers simply for loving one another?

20. Boycott all of his “films” and just look at him in simple terms. T O S S E R. Clearly not getting anything, Yer Mrs found her batteries?

21. Well, he technically isn’t wrong. While we haven’t evolved enough to see fraternal incest as normal and accept it as we have done with interracial and same sex-marriages, technically there isn’t anything that proves fraternal incest is wrong, harmful and should be prohibited. I am myself not a fan of incest and I think it’s weird, but one or two centuries ago transexuality, for example, was equally weird, unacceptable and inconceivable, and as a transgender I can say there is nothing wrong with it.

22. Just more proof that Hollywood has yet to give a full thought to anything.