Man pleads guilty to Leicester gay pub fire attack

1. A monster… How could he do this to them?

This actually strikes fear in me. To know there are evil people living so close by.

2. My heart goes out to the victims and I hope that in time they will learn to leave this terrible incident in the past and continue to live a full and happy life.

3. Mitchell Dean sould get life for what he has done to Russell Banks. Without the possibility of parole. Harsh, I think not. What he has taken from Russells, the same should be returned as a deterrent to others. Likelihood is that Mitchell will only get 6 months & only serve 3.

4. Any word on the motivation for this crime

5. This attack was absolutely sickening. Who on earth could do something like that?

Reading Mr Bank’s comments brought tears to my eyes. I only hope both men can get over this and live their lives.

6. An eye for an eye, and the world goes blind. Maybe it’s time to use this as an advantage. Quit pussy-footing about with corrective punishments. What does sitting a jail cell do? Obviously not much since people rarely make amends for their crimes after rotting in jail. No I believe that their own crime be committed against them. Teach them humility and humble them.

1. Khalid Muhammad 10 Sep 2012, 5:09pm

(I believe that their own crime be committed against them)

Like in Shariah law??

7. Its a very sad story and you can only wish that the lads find their way in life in time after this attack.

8. Shaniqua Jones 10 Sep 2012, 4:33pm

Sounds like this queen was postively flaming! ;-)

9. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 5:08pm

There’s something more than meets the eye to all this.

So far we have only heard one side of the story; people just don’t walk through a pub into a beer garden and drench two people with lighter fuel and light it without some very serious motive.

1. Paddyswurds 10 Sep 2012, 6:02pm

Religious motivation perhaps…..

1. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 11:01pm

Possibly, but few are that deranged – that said, this is Leicester, with a high Muslim population, but the man sounds white, so I think that unlikely.

1. Theres plenty of fundie christians out there … you do get “white” as you put it muslims too.

2. there is no excuse… None. This behaviour is monstrous even if there are aggravating circumstances.

1. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 10:59pm

Oh. Maybe raping your child or similar?
        I can think of a lot of motives, none of them pleasant.

3. sadly people do actually do just do that.

4. See Shaun’s comment below about the beer garden being open to the street.

10. My home town is Leicester and i know the gay scene very well. The pubs beer garden is open to the street and people can just walk straight in. But it’s sick that a man can just walk in douse two people in lighter fuel and set light to them. I dont understand how or why it happened at all. But I hope the man gets a hefty sentence for what he did to those two men. It is such a shame. To have servere burns and skin scrafts would be awful and would like he said changed his life. He will never be the same person again and that is such a shame.

11. Richard the Big Bunny 10 Sep 2012, 8:26pm

Regardless of motive, anyone who attacks another person with fire or acid knows the damage it will cause.

I believe in a much heavier punishment for such premeditated crimes.

12. Dan Filson 11 Sep 2012, 3:32am

He can and should expect a long custodial sentence. But whether this will confirm him in his prejudices or contribute to him becoming a better person – or less awful person – is arguable. Maybe a spell in a mental hospital …

13. friday jones 11 Sep 2012, 10:44pm

I am usually adamantly opposed to the idea of hoping that someone gets raped in prison for committing a violent crime, but in this guy’s case I am going to carve out a single exception to that personal rule. Hes deserves to suffer the worst torments imaginable, and I sincerely hope that he does.

14. I was close to tears reading this. What kind of thug did this to innocent guys out having a good time?

I really do hope that the sick thug that did this gets what he deserves.

I hope Russell is able to regain his confidence and carry on with his life.

15. If someone did that to me, or one of my friends, I would find them and kill them. They would be dead.