London: Gays urged to ‘come’ Out to Swim

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 10 Sep 2012, 4:27pm

Ok this is just a glorified excuse to cruise other hot bodied gay guys. I don’t see anywhere in this story what difference a gay swim club has over any other type of swimming group.

1. Christopher 10 Sep 2012, 5:01pm

Umm, anyone whose life was made miserable by idiot str8 guys in high school gym would welcome a chance to join a team sport in a supportive group.

1. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 5:05pm

So who is to say that idiot gay guys won’t make your life equally miserable? “How dare I be so gorgeous?” *pout!*

1. Please. If you feel all that gay guys do is pout then I’m afraid you’ve done yourself the gravest of injustices and either hung around only one “type” of the gay community or you have severe self confidence issues where you yourself do not feel good looking enough to “pout”. We’re an incredibly diverse community. And to generalise your own community is lazy thinking, not to mention angry thinking.

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 10 Sep 2012, 6:18pm

Poor naive Ty, the only reason the majority of gay guys tuned in to watch the Olympics was to see Tom Daley in his speedos, this swim club will have facilitate a similar function. As for “we’re an incredibly diverse community”- a quick peruse of photos on Pink News documenting Brighton Pride, London Pride etc will show guys in shorts with their tops off.

2. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 10:48pm

Anybody that wheels out that old cliché about the ‘gay community’ obviously has no idea about how selfish, egotistical and spiteful gay men can sometimes be.

3. David Waite 11 Sep 2012, 1:26am

Fortunately, Spanner, we all do have you to remind us, whenever we’re tempted to forget (or to assume we’ve all grown up) “how selfish, egotistical and spiteful [SOME] gay men can sometimes be.”

4. Spanner1960 11 Sep 2012, 7:45am

Who’s being spiteful?
            Anybody over the age of 30 that walks into a gay bar knows by now that the gay scene is driven by youth.
            Anybody slightly older, not so good looking, over or underweight or doesn’t fit the criteria is generally viewed like something that crawled out from under a rock.

Scratch the surface of most gay men and all you find is more surface.

5. Do ‘most gay men’ spend their time in gay bars? I certainly don’t, and – speaking for myself – I know plenty of others who don’t, of all ages.

6. Spanner1960 11 Sep 2012, 5:25pm

Where did I say “most of the time”?
            I haven’t set foot in one in years, but I still know the reception that awaits me.

7. Where did I say “most of the time”?

I didn’t say you did. But in any event your historical prejudice against gay bars and the gay scene is not entirely relevant to this discussion, is it? Or is a swimming group also ‘the scene’ by virtue of … er, its members are gay?

8. Spanner1960 15 Sep 2012, 11:46am

What “historical prejudice”?
            I used to damn near live in the places at one time.
            Gay bars do, (or at least, did) serve a purpose, even if they were primarily pick-up joints. I have no qualms about the gay scene whatsoever, and I recognise the need for it. I have just found over time that it is the people themselves that I have grown to dislike, not the places.

I just find a lot of these so-called ‘gay activities’ simply covers for precisely the same thing. If people want to get a shag, there are plenty of ways without having to resort to running things like this.

What’s so special about a gay swimming club that a straight one cannot provide?

2. Christopher 11 Sep 2012, 1:53am

Spanner, honey, just because YOUR life is miserable doesn’t mean everyone else’s is. Grow up. Your spitefulness only shows how immature you are for your age.

3. Spanner1960 (and those that think likewise), it really doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the “straight scene” is also driven by youth. You appear to be obsessed with youth and beauty. is it perhaps because you feel you lack both?

There are clubs/pubs that cater for older clientele, in both the gay scene and the straight scene. 30 is hardly old, and when I reach that age I’ll just have to accept that I am no longer a sprightly 20 something. Could it be that you are attracted to younger men but are continuously rejected as you are significantly older than them?

Instead of being angry and bitter and where you view yourself the “victim” of “gay culture”, you should accept that in this world youth is power. To allege that it is only in gay culture that this is found seems to highlight your bitterness.

2. Suddenly Last Bummer 10 Sep 2012, 6:15pm

Yeah but this ain’t ‘high school’, in fact the guy’s gripe was he felt the gym etc was isolating.

2. Dont judge everyone by your standards -sure there may be some there looking for hot bodies, but there others who are not. Maybe some go for the companionship and participate in a activity (swimming) which they enjoy. Whats wrong in having a gay swim club.

Lee

1. I can’t think of one reason not to. Also, the author failed to mention that it’s a unisex club so everyone can go and take part.

2. Cesar Vazquez 10 Sep 2012, 4:33pm

Shame! The UK should be discouraging this immoral lifestyle choice!

1. It’s almost ironic that I’m posting this, but remember guys, let’s not feed the troll, they’re sad enough as it is already. It would be great if this is the only comment that gets posted under this comment. By all means unlike all you want to though :)

2. Well Ceasar don’t take part in the swim – why are you looking at web site for ‘immoral lifestyle choice if you have issues.

Lee

3. Wish there was something like this for women near me :-(

4. The type of individual who says this is a bad idea for like-minded men and women to form clubs together to exercise in non-hostile environments strikes me as odd.

Why do you hold such a negative view? If, assuming your generalizing was correct, and each and every single guy in that pool was flexing his muscles and posing, what skin is that off your back? Why should you care? Besides, men of all sexual orientations are posers from time to time.

Instead of encouraging people to go out and get involved in their community to build much needed self esteem, you attack. Why this hostility?

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it’s probably due to you feeling like you don’t measure up to what you think the men in that pool look like.

And to those who say that most of the gay male population only tuned in to ogle Tom Daley, so what? The human body is beautiful. You think straight men don’t tune in to watch the female divers and swimmers? It’s human nature.

1. Sadly, a number of individuals feel inclined to live up to the stereotype of the carping, bitchy queen, often – ironically – in apparent contrast to their view of themselves.

1. David Waite 11 Sep 2012, 1:43am

And they do it so badly!
        ”..a number of individuals feel inclined to live up to the stereotype of the carping, bitchy queen..”
        The poor things are so clueless. A true “carping, bitchy queen” always does it with devastating humour. The imitators, wannabes and poseurs that frequent Pink News threads are so humour-challenged, my heart aches for their significant others (if any) who have to live with them.

1. Well, to be fair, such ‘devastating humour’ is subjective. I for one find it – even the real thing – becomes wearisome rather rapidly.