Tories criticise government appointment of David Laws

1. So in summary…
    He’s Liberal Dem,
    will work underneath Michael Grove… as his right hand man and he’s out of the closet!

I can see why the government believes his position is contentious!

1. His thievery and dishonesty is a bigger problem.

He’s a scumbag.

If he was a benefit cheat he’d be in jail.

1. Robert Brown 7 Sep 2012, 3:36pm

Would you like to be ‘outed’?

The Labour Party MPs also voted against an equal age of consent when Edwina Currie first promoted it.

Me thinks some people need to look at the voting record of the Labour Party anti-LGBT MPs and then decide. The Labour Party have MANY homophobes and are simply jumping on bandwagons and playing politics as they know that they completely messed up when they were in power.

Robert

2. Robert Brown 7 Sep 2012, 3:36pm

Would you like to be ‘outed’?

Robert

1. bobbleobble 7 Sep 2012, 4:09pm

I wish people would desist with this myth that Laws saved us money. The rules stated you weren’t allowed to pay rent to your partner and yet Laws claimed £40k to pay rent to his partner. How were we saved money exactly? He also did it to hide something about his private life, so that’s lying and taking money that doesn’t belong to him. Please stop trying to make him a saint when he simply isn’t.

In his election literature in 2010 he also made heavy weather of how saintly he’d been with his expenseses even though he knew he hadn’t.

No matter what claims you make he took money to which he was not entitled and lied about it. And rather than a police investigation this man gets to sit in on cabinet meetings. Horrendous.

And to top it all off he’s too cowardly to be open and honest about himself. He’s in the most gay friendly party other than perhaps the Greens and was elected in 2001, four years after the first two openly gay men were elected, both in seats which were previously Tory

1. bobbleobble 7 Sep 2012, 4:11pm

held so he had no need to fear for his career. And as for his family, they are RCC not Westboro baptists and he must have known that being in the public eye it was possible that his private life would not remain that way. I’m sure they would have preferred that he tell them rather than find out about it in an expose in the Telegraph.

I have no time for a man that I see as totally integrity and a sense of right and wrong.

As for being outed, well I was at 17 but I got over it.

2. bobbleobble 7 Sep 2012, 4:12pm

That should say totally lacking in integrity – should read my submissions first!

2. Sister Mary Clarence 7 Sep 2012, 4:43pm

He claimed less than he could have if he had declared it properly, ‘saved’ might not be exactly the correct terminology, but I’ll do.

1. bobbleobble 7 Sep 2012, 4:53pm

No he didn’t. If he’d declared he was living with his partner he was entitled to nothing since he was living in his partner’s house and therefore not entitled to claim rent.

2. Cardinal Capone 7 Sep 2012, 11:04am

I thought he was pretty much a conservative.

3. Seeing as Laws is to the right of most Tory MPs, and will probably defect to the Conservatives when the coalition splits up, I wouldn’t imagine too many Tories are complaining.

4. David Laws is a liar.

David Laws is a thief.

David Laws is a coward.

He is not fit for purpose as a minister.

His appointment is proof of the contempt in which the government holds the electorate.

If he was a benefit fraud Laws to the the tune of 40,000 he woulld be in jail.

1. Robert Brown 7 Sep 2012, 3:37pm

Would you like to be ‘outed’? In addition, the Labour Party has 13 years to introduce full equality for the LGBT community and didn’t.

Robert

1. I think you need to actually check your facts correctly . . . he actually ‘SAVED’ the tax payers money and was forced to ‘come out of the closet’ to his Roman Catholic family against his wishes . . .

He DID NOT save the taxpayers money he STOLE money from the Taxpayers

5. A gay thief isn’t any better than a thief… He should never have been appointed! Abhorring choice…

6. does any one else work in a place where they could steal a few thousand and be invited back for a job.

It stinks.

lee

7. I wonder whose farter he sharing these days.

8. Paddyswurds 7 Sep 2012, 1:49pm

Anyone who even dreams that this shower of homophobic assh0les will ever bring in Marriage Equality are in for a sore disappointment. we will have to wait another four years until after the next election when the Labour Government will, I hope enact a bill and make the UK a country where everyone is equal……..

1. and still wait 3 years for the bill to get royal ascent (after being forced thru) because the unelected upper house has seats reserved for religious figures who will oppose it and keep delaying it.

9. In any other career, he would have been finished. Politics it seems is a law unto itself.

10. I think it’s disgusting that David Laws is back in government, never mind still an MP. He dishonestly claimed £40,000 and his excuses for doing so were pathetic. His sexuality doesn’t excuse his dishonesty.

As for the Tories being angry at him being back in government, if it’s simply because he’s a Lib Dem then fair enough as they probably feel the Lib Dems have too much power in the coalition.

But I get the impression one or two of the Tories just don’t like David Laws because he’s gay.

I doubt any MPs at all care about his fraudulent claims as they’re all at it.

1. Paddyswurds 7 Sep 2012, 2:55pm

If he actually stole money would he not have been sent to prison along with the several Tories who were convicted of fraud and sent to prison….. ???? It seems as if the Tory trolls are all back here screaming abuse at the “queer” as usual. Get a life.

1. I think (and I may be wrong, so please feel free to correct me) that David Laws broke the rules on claiming expenses but he didn’t do anything illegal. So that’s why he didn’t go to prison. Only 3 or 4 MPs were actually charged with breaking the law but quite a few of them broke the rules and simply paid back the money, nothing more said about it. I feel the same about all of those MPs, not just David Laws.

But I agree that some of the Tories probably are just having a go at him because he’s gay, and some of them will just be unhappy that it’s another Lib Dem in government and it gives them more power in the coalition. Not one will even care about his expenses claims.

1. And by the way, I’m certainly no Tory – I don’t support any particular party, although I’ve mainly voted Labour in recent years. I’ve already said that his sexuality doesn’t excuse his expenses claims, and I don’t understand why some gay people think it does. Just because someone is gay doesn’t mean we have to stick up for them and defend everything they do. As I’ve already said, I feel the same about ALL MPs who fiddled their expenses, but David Laws just happens to be in the news at the moment and none of them are, and he also fiddled a hell of a lot of money – £40,000. Most people don’t even earn that in a year.

2. He told barefaced lies.

If I falsified expenses at work then I would not be jailed.

However I would be fired immediately.

David Laws should (at the very least) been expelled from the Lib Dems.

1. I wonder if the people who think David Laws did nothing wrong would feel the same if a homophobic Tory MP had fiddled 40 grand in expenses?

We can’t pick and choose which MPs were wrong to fiddle expenses and which ones did nothing wrong in doing so.

Any MP who knowingly claimed expenses they shouldn’t have, no matter how much it was, should have been forced to stand down by their party or whatever it would have taken to get rid of them.

2. Robert Brown 7 Sep 2012, 3:38pm

I think you need to actually check your facts correctly . . . he actually ‘SAVED’ the tax payers money and was forced to ‘come out of the closet’ to his Roman Catholic family against his wishes . . . Would you like to be ‘outed’?

Robert

3. @Robert Brown

Firstly, I’ve never defended the Labour party or tried to make they’re better on gay equality than the Lib Dems. This story is about David Laws and his expenses claims which were against the rules. Saying he saved the taxpayer money by making false claims is no defence even if it is true, and other people on this thread say it’s not true. And it is horrible that he was outed against his wishes, but that still doesn’t excuse his making claims that he shouldn’t have.

11. David Laws is a Liar……Sounds like perfect qualifications for a minister!

12. Staircase2 7 Sep 2012, 6:35pm

“That is going completely in the opposite direction of what many of us on the back benches want which is for the government to be more Conservative.”

…it’s as if they have no concept that he only reason theyre even IN government is because of the Lib Dems. Without them there would be no Conservative government…

At what point (aside from the obvious Conservative predisposition towards stupidity) did the Conservatives become so collectively stupid?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Sep 2012, 2:52pm

And let’s not forget that without the Liberal Democrats in coalition, there would be NO equal marriage discussion. If Cameron is defeated on this, make no mistake, the next Tory leader will be a hardliner returning their party to their nasty roots guaranteeing a Labour victory in 2015. The Tories don’t have much gay support as it is and hardliners really don’t care about that. Given the dismal results in the last general elections without a mandate, it seems as though they’re going to exile themselves for another 5-10 years if this fails. Are those in opposition to equal marriage really that prepared to take the blame?

13. Forgive my abysmal ignorance but was David Laws a good politician? Did he do his job properly? Why was he put back into the Cabinet? He fiddled the books, yes, so did a lot of other MPs and in far greater quantities than David Laws. In Poland and in other East European post Communist countries corruption is the national sport. Are we therefore looking at David Laws the man, his career or David Laws’s bank account and his inappropriate finances? I ask these questions more out of interest than being bitchy. I have not been following this story.