Gay couple Syed and Christian to leave EastEnders

1. If I watched that miserable drivel EastEnders, I would probably care!

2. BBC to return to its habit of wearing comfy cultural blinkers, and carry on hopelessly under-representing and failing to serve LGBT people?

Less than a million people speak Welsh, and yet they get Welsh-language programming made by the BBC. What about LGBT people? Where is out 5-times-a-week niche interest soap opera? And I know that not all LGBT people want to watch the same things – but that argument is just as true for Welsh-speakers who also don’t all think alike and STILL get better service (and can all speak bloody english anyway).

1. Gary Lucy (previously of Hollyoaks) is joining Eastenders shortly and plays a gay character. So I imagine he’ll get a love interest,

Christian and Syed have run their course as characters, I think. Since the resolution of their big storyline there doesn’t seem much for them to do.

I think Zainab and Denise should become a couple – THAT I would watch.

2. GingerlyColors 8 Sep 2012, 6:46am

Nid Daffyd yw’r unig hoyw yn Llanddewi Brefi!

1. Spanner1960 8 Sep 2012, 7:40am

That’s easy for you to say.

1. GingerlyColors 8 Sep 2012, 2:13pm

It means ‘Daffyd is not the only gay in Llanddewi Brefi’, refering to Daffyd Thomas, ‘The Only Gay In The Village’ in Little Britain!

3. I hope they write in the story line that Christian and Syed get married and move away happily ever after that would be sweet:), but knowing what Eastenders is like i doubt that will be the case :(

1. They will get CPd and then immediately after one of them will be hit by a train and the other one will die in a fire.

1. Lyuba Allenivna Marchenko 7 Sep 2012, 7:27pm

Holy Heimdal, I hope not! Christian and Syed is the reason I started watching Eastenders.

1. I think the same it seems only fair for them to leave with a happy ending. ( Civil Partnership until equal marriage is legalized in Scotland or the rest of the UK) :)

2. They can’t get married unless they move abroad to a more enlightened country – Spain for instance.
      They may become legal or civil partners which is NOT the same as marriage, but inequality made law.

4. AS PER USUAL- they have exhausted the usual sexuality storylines-and now they are ditching the gay characters. Samme thing happened with Arron on Emmerdale, Tod on Corrie- its as though the ONLY reason a gay character exists in a soap is to do with his sexuality. Once that has been exhausted-they are ditched-as though we never live ordinary lives detached from the fact that we are gay!

1. But what about Sean and Marcus on Corrie?

5. Utter tosh anyway Eastenders was never in touch with reality. I stopped watching years ago. The Gay characters didnt resemble anyone I knew.

1. Do many of the other characters on EastEnders resemble people you know? I certainly can’t say the same.

1. Spanner1960 8 Sep 2012, 7:41am

If they did, I’d move.

6. As John said, the characters never had a storyline that wasn’t to do with their sexuality. As far as I was concerned, it was only a matter of time. Their only role in the show was to be gay.

7. GingerlyColors 8 Sep 2012, 6:53am

Eastenders must be applauded for dealing with gay issues at a time when the subject would normally be met with hostility. It is more than 25 years since Colin (played by Michael Cashman, now a Member of European Parliament) and Barry appeared on our screens. Gay people now feature regularly on television although the BBC seem to waste no time in writing them out of storylines. In the daytime soap, Doctors we saw the departure of Simon Bond last year and a few weeks ago Freya died following a house fire. Then of course there’s Torchwood’s Ianto Jones…..

1. No, no, don’t mention Ianto. For me the grief is still too near…

1. Sue Brown 8 Sep 2012, 8:39am

There there. Remember the good times.

2. GingerlyColors 8 Sep 2012, 2:15pm

Why can’t they bring Ianto back? Anything is possible in science fiction. They did it with Mr. Spock in Star Trek!

1. Spanner1960 9 Sep 2012, 8:43am

Yeah. We need an episode called “Ianto’s Brain”
          They could keep it in a matchbox.

1. GingerlyColors 10 Sep 2012, 6:38am

Need a pretty big matchbox then!

8. I’m glad they are leaving. And I don’t say this as a hater, but as a fan actually. I feel it is better this way, as the characters have been criminally treated on the show for the past couple of years (basically, ever since they got together properly), especially during Kirkwood’s run. I wouldn’t want them to continue on for much longer if all they are going to do is be glorified extras in the background and/or fodder for the same lame cheating stories like every other character on the show.
    Best of luck to both John Partridge and Marc Elliot, they created a great couple and it’s such a shame that it just fizzled out with a whimper because of not enough interesting storylines (that aren’t to do with the character’s sexuality, which I guess goes back to the point John made earlier).

1. GingerlyColors 8 Sep 2012, 2:19pm

With all the murders, violence, arson and other goings on in Albert Square, Walford, statistically, is probably a more dangerous place to live than Baghdad or Kabul! United Nations intervention is needed in the E20 postcode area! Syed and Christian should get married (or CP’d) and move out to a happier place.

9. I used to defend the BBC and its representation of LGBT people but to be honest it just sucks.

Eastenders is awful and always has been for it. You cant be gay without some drama.

Its terribly sad how we get no programming aimed at us and if we did i would only be a stereotype

10. Whether you like Eastenders or loathed it, the characters of Christian and Syed and their story lines inspired debate Perhaps some people (hopefully) developed a better understanding of the complexity of what being gay entails from coming out, to family issues or clashes in views of homosexuality between cultures.

Fortunately the UK is not afraid to develop gay characters or story lines for TV series or drama’s to positive reviews and fan bases around the world. I commend both Marc and John for doing great justice to their roles.

My only hope is that the BBC respects their storyline by concluding it with an uplifting positive instead of the usual tormented break up or death blow usually dealt to gay story lines.

11. Spanner1960 9 Sep 2012, 8:48am

Having gay characters in soaps is all well and good, and I guess it does highlight a mixed community, but the trouble is, the writers always have to make a thing of it.

I want to see some mainstream drama, or preferably movie, where a character just happens to be gay. They don’t have to make a big thing of it, there doesn’t have to be a sex scene or even snogging, just make them part of the scenery. If they can introduce black people and Americans into medieval history (Merlin / Robin Hood etc), I’m sure they could have the occasional gay or lesbian.

1. Spanner1960 9 Sep 2012, 8:49am

I just remembered, they did recently in the “Avengers” movie – the FBI agent is gay. We need more of that.

1. AlexinBrum 9 Sep 2012, 4:17pm

There are LOADS of ‘just happen to be gay’ characters in Doctor Who. And in fact Phil Mitchell’s regular solicitor in EastEnders ‘just happens to be gay’ – because she is only a supporting character she has never had a storyline of her own, she only exists to get the Mitchell family out of jail, but she has alluded to a female partner on at least a couple of occasions. I’m sure there are other examples, but those two sprang to mind.

1. Spanner1960 10 Sep 2012, 3:40pm

I’d hardly call Doctor Who ‘mainstream’.
          And considering half the cast and crew are gay, it’s really hardly surprising.

I’d like to see some gritty cop show with a gay lead character.

12. Paddyswurds 9 Sep 2012, 5:19pm

Good riddance I say.Christian in particular was just about the most irritating being I have ever seen on telly and as for Syed, well whats to say other than You cant act!