9-year-old Boy Scout quits, says he doesn’t like unfairness of anti-gay rule

1. Christopher 5 Sep 2012, 10:23pm

This is so stupid, and reeks of simple territory marking. Canada’s Scouts has no such rule. So much for being but chapters in a larger organization!

2. Out of the mouths of babes..

3. Surely they should be at the forefront of civil right for young people! These people should be ashamed of themselves. They have let a generation of young people down. Civilised society looks on in amazement at their utter hatred and bigotry.

4. A future President? We can but hope. What an amazing young man.

5. Not a Boy Scout at 9. Shoddy “journalism.”

1. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:34am

Agreed. Cub Scout I think.

1. Still part of the Scouting Organization and with more spine than the adults in charge. Cub or Eagle, the kid has a good head on his shoulders!

2. mark young 6 Sep 2012, 6:41pm

ah shut up.

3. David Myers 10 Sep 2012, 9:30am

Perhaps shoddy headline writing. Certainly you have shoddy reading skills (or you like to comment after only reading a headline) as the very first sentence states clearly that he is “a nine-year-old cub scout”.

6. A good move by the child and I am glad that his father is also supporting his decision. I wonder if other children may end up following his lead?

7. This is meant to be a news website I thought?

1. To hear about someone this young taking a stand against bigotry and sharing it publicly qualifies as news in my book. What, you don’t think a 9 year old is worthy of being talked about in the news? Or is it only when they are a victim that it’s okay for you to hear about.

1. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:33pm

dAVID disapproves because it’s not local news and he can’t slag off the Tories or his favourite “cult” churches.

8. Que OMM.

9. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:33am

Sadly, it’s not fair, but that’s something you learn about life as you grow up.

The Scouts are a private organisation and as such have the right to decide who they want. The public however, also have a choice as to whether or not they wish to join a homophobic organisation; so the kid did the right thing – say it with your feet.

1. I disagree. When an organization’s membership numbers in the millions, worldwide, I have a hard time picturing as a “private” organization and I believe it needs to start looking at coming into step with other organizations whose policies are far more open and inclusive.

1. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:38pm

I understand your standpoint, but at what point does a group of people become an organisation? When does a private club become a public group? I am merely following a legal standpoint here, and not attempting to judge the morals or ethics of such a group.

If your rules were to apply to the Boy Scouts, then by the same token, why can they not be applied to the Westboro Baptist Church?

1. David Myers 10 Sep 2012, 9:33am

What self respecting gay or lesbian would want to join the Westboro hate church?

10. A little boy doesn’t want to belong to an organisation that explicitly excludes gay people. The daughters of the President of the United States don’t understand why their schoolfriend’s mothers can’t get married. This is the upcoming generation, folks, and from here it’s looking good!

11. He has to understand the boy scouts are like the catholic church hierarchy, and most other ‘male only’ groups. The leaders are usually pedophiles and 99.8% of the members are closet homosexuals.

1. Got any proof for your claims Jafuf?

2. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:40pm

So what of the Brownies and Girl Guides? Are they full of lesbians?
      Your hypothesis is totally unfounded and pathetic.

3. Thats really offensive to say that adult volunteers of youth groups are usually pedophiles. In my 13 years of scouting – 4 of which as a leader myself (and NOT closeted at all) I can say that there was none in my district and I hate to break it to you but the Scouts has been unisex in the UK for about over 10 years now.

1. Spanner1960 7 Sep 2012, 11:29am

I have to say, I don’t get this unisex thing.
        I thought the whole purpose was so that boys did boys things, and girls did what girls do. It seems to defeat the entire object.

Yet more politically correct bullsh|t we don’t need.

1. well it was brought in because some girls didn’t like being kept doing “girl” things and thought that the boys were having more fun, they wanted to explore places, go camping etc … If someone wants to join in an activity you shouldn’t exclude them on trivial grounds such as sex, religion, disability, orientation etc …

12. James Savik 6 Sep 2012, 7:17pm

When I was 12, I didn’t know what gay was. The scouts did. My scoutmaster showed up at my house on the day of my 13th birthday and told my hyper-religious parents that I was no longer welcome in scouts because I was a homosexual. He left- and I got my ass kicked by my dad. Scoutmaster didn’t leave it at that. He told parents so their kids wouldn’t catch gay from me. It got to school and I spent my teen years in hell. In a small rural Mississippi town, the scouts dumped me, labeled me and told me to have a nice life. That happened in 1976. Now- of the 5 kids thrown out on the same day, I am the last survivor.

Thanks a lot BSA. I’ll see you in hell. It won’t matter to me because I’ve already been there.

1. Spanner1960 6 Sep 2012, 9:43pm

That is an awful story.
      However, I wouldn’t tar the entire organisation with the same brush.
      I spent many enjoyable years in both cubs and scouts without any problems.
      That said, I do totally sympathise with your experience and hope you have a better life now.

1. David Myers 10 Sep 2012, 9:37am

I did too. But that was before the right wing fundamentalists and LSD mormons took over the organization in 1978 and started their anti-gay pogome. A lot of people don’t know this about the boy scounts – that they weren’t homophobic prior to 1978.

13. Daniel Pitt 6 Sep 2012, 8:39pm

What a refreshing burst of sanity from the most unusual place! This kid has effectively said what so many people think – in a civilised society individuality should be celebrated, not scorned.

14. God Bless the children, all children.

15. Thunderpup Shepherd 7 Sep 2012, 7:42am

Just so everyone knows… the Northern Star Council (the largest group of boy scouts in the state of Minnesota) rejected the national policy banning gay individuals from their activities. The move came the same day that the national organization announced it’s anti-gay decision.

16. I believe the headline for this article was supposed to read a 9-year-old’s parents forced the kid out??? I am sorry a 9 year old doesn’t understand all of this!