Gay Lib Dem MP returns to government in cabinet reshuffle

1. Good luck to him, you can hear them now can’t you claiming that a gay man should not be Children’s Minister

1. How long until the Catholics complain about him being there?
      Free money if they say they wanted to have one of their own take the position.

2. Dave Page 4 Sep 2012, 2:48pm

Let’s not forget that Laws actually claimed less through being in the closet than he could have done had he been out; the Parliamentary Standards report made it clear that he hadn’t benefited financially.

Compare this with the dozens of MPs who broke the spirit of the rules but not the letter, raking in the cash by flipping second home designations and so on.

Perhaps we should have sympathy that there are still some LGBT people who still feel unable to come out to their strongly religious families, and strive to build a world where this is no longer the case.

1. Presumably, he was sharing his boyfriend’s farter, not sleeping in a separate bedroom.

1. Your preocupations are tiresomely predictable.

2. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 4:05pm

It doesn’t matter whether he saved us money or not, he wrongfully claimed expenses to which he was not entitled and did so as a cover up for his personal life. That is disgraceful and he should be ashamed, not taking up a ministerial salary. If he had done the same in order to claim housing benefit then he would be behind bars right now. I also don’t understand how anyone can claim he didn’t benefit financially, he got £40k he wasn’t entitled to, how is that not benefiting financially. Don’t forget as well that Laws claimed he was a saint in relation to his expenses in his 2010 election leaflet despite knowing that he wasn’t – not only a fraud but a liar to boot.

And I don’t buy this idea about his fear of coming out. In 1997 3 openly gay MPs were elected, two of them in traditional Tory territory and one in a seat just down the road from Laws. He had no reason to fear for his public role and quite frankly I’m sure his family would rather he had the courage to come out to them

1. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 4:06pm

personally rather than for them to discover his sexuality as a result of an expose in the Telegraph. Plus how exactly are we to get to a world where people no longer struggle to come out if those in the public eye refuse to do so?

1. I’m not going to excuse what he did with his benefits, but the fact remains that he wasn’t benefiting financially because he could have claimed “significantly more” (not my words, but the words of the PCC who investigated the Laws case) if he had claimed the benefits he was actually entitled to. Which was one of the main factors that convinced the PCC that he wasn’t doing what he did out of greed.

David Laws, and any other public person, has every right to keep their sexuality private if they want to. I could understand the anger if David Laws was being a hypocrite with how he’s voted on LGBT issues, but he hasn’t, he’s always had an exemplary LGBT equality voting record. Unless you know his family personally then you can’t say “I’m sure his family would have rather he came out to them.”

1. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 9:09pm

People keep stating this ‘fact’ that he could have claimed more. If he had remained living with his partner then no he couldn’t. The rules state that he was not entitled to pay rent to a spouse or partner and yet Laws was claiming money to pay that. He knew what he was doing was wrong and there is no excuse for that. There is even less excuse for lying about it all in his election literature.

He is entitled to keep his private life private if he so chooses but he is not entitled to defraud the public purse in order to assist in that.

And I didn’t say I’m sure his family would rather he came out but rather that they would have preferred him to come out than for his hand to be forced by an expose in the Telegraph.

2. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 9:12pm

Oh and the fact that he could have legitimately claimed more if he’d organised his life differently holds no water because that doesn’t change the fact that he claimed over £40k that he wasn’t entitled to and did so knowing that he wasn’t entitled to it. That’s fraud apparently in anyone’s book except the PCC.

3. A gay man as Children’s Minister, that’s a brave move. The religious freaks will take it as evidence of the ‘gay agenda’.

1. I agree, David Cameron is showing some guts here. It’s beyond belief – Children’s Minister?? wow!

1. Cameron is showing his contempt for the electorate by allowing a lying thief back into government.

No surprises there then.

1. Liar, yes, not a thief, if he had declared his relationship then he would have been entitled to a greater amount than he actually claimed.

1. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 5:17pm

Actually he wouldn’t. Laws’ partner owned the house and Laws claimed rent for staying there. The rules stated that rent could not be claimed back in a situation where you are renting from a spouse or partner. So if everything stayed the same Laws was not entitled to claim any money at all.

He claimed money he wasn’t entitled to in order to cover up something in his private life.

2. mark young 4 Sep 2012, 6:30pm

all politicians are lying thieves you nobhead. i mean, do you think cameron or milliabnd are honorable men. give me a break. naive. good luck to him. i’d prefer a gay lying thief with some power.

1. All politicians are liars true.

Not all politicians are thieves,

David Laws is a thief.

2. But the new equalities minister beggars belief. A woman who has voted against all gay equality legislation, fertility treatment for lesbian women and abortion law reforms. How she has made equalities minister is beyond me!

4. What’s the big deal about him being a Children’s Minister. Not even the churches would find anything odd in that. I am glad he is back in the cabinet. He’s obviously talented but I do hope he is ashamed. Not of the cheating of the system but for hiding his relationship for 9 years! What is the matter with people. It’s not “privacy”, it’s shame and cowardice.

5. It shows the utter contempt the government has for the electorate that this lying thief is allowed back in government.

You can make whatever excuses you like for him but he was in the closet and he abused the expenses system.

This is unacceptable and David Laws is not fit for government.

MP’s who have abused the expenses system should NEVER be allowed in government. They simply cannot be trusted.

1. And people can vote this down all they like; but ANY MP who has abused the expenses system like this Laws coward is not fit for purpose as government minister.

(His cowardice about being in the closet even though he is a middle-aged millionaire is s completely separate issue – although it does call into question his integrity as a person – middle aged millionaires in Britain have no valid reason for being spineless closet cases – they deserve contempt – if a teenager can come out at school then there is no reason for some coward like Laws to remain cowering in his closet until he caught swindling the taxpayer).

Loathesome, cowardly, dishonest man.

1. unrepentant thief and lying fraudster …
        compare with new rules imposing routine £50 civil penalty on benefit claimants who make (far less serious) mistakes …

1. Are you seriously comparing a well respected constituency MP who works hard for his electorate and performed brilliantly as a master of finance last time with a lazy benefit cheat, milking the system others pay into, sat on their backside all day watching telly? How ridiculous!

1. Laws is far worse as he is an elected public representative while also a liar, a thief and a coward.

He is a disgrace.

he is not fit for purpose as a minister

2. If he was an ordinary member of the public he would have done jail time. Try running it past the DWP that you only claimed the cash because ‘I wanted to keep my sexuality secret and I could have claimed even more if I had wanted to’.

For us mere mortals that would have meant ignomy, sacking from any job we held and a prison sentence. For Mr Laws it has meant a couple of years on the back benches of Parliament followed by a nice cushy cabinet post.

It is not about sexuality-It is about class privilage. And it stinks.

6. Pavlos Prince of Greece 4 Sep 2012, 3:40pm

I hope, he help push same-sex marriage bill forwards and fight as much as possible against homophobic bullying in the school. Because both is in the great interest of all children. Good luck, Mr. Laws!

1. Pavlos Prince of Greece 4 Sep 2012, 6:00pm

And he is very attractive men… I just must say this too.

1. He’s a liar, a coward and a thief.

That is deeply unattractive.

1. Calm down, dear.

1. I am calm.

Saying he is a liar, coward and thief is a very calm statement of fact.

7. Good luck to him, although for someone whose skill was supposed to be more on the economic finance side, children minister seems a bit of a strange choice.

I agree, gay person, without children etc etc sends somekind of message to the pro one man, one woman perfect christian family image. Just hope he does bring up the gay family topic and does not pretend we don’t exist.

1. “someone whose skill was supposed to be more on the economic finance side”

Indeed – he was able to falsify his expenses in a very efficient manner.

He’s a thief.

1. “someone whose skill was supposed to be more on the economic finance side” for a expenses fraudster …. priceless …

8. bobbleobble 4 Sep 2012, 3:59pm

I’m afraid I agree with dAVID. This man should never be allowed back into government after resigning in disgrace.

9. I’m not happy with what he did but I hope he’s learned his lesson. I don’t feel other MPs have learned their lesson from getting their hands caught in the till though.

1. He shows no sign at all of learning any lesson — apart from the fact he was allowed to refund the money when found out and face no proper punishment
      had he done the same through housing benefit he’d be in prison

10. Marcwebbo3 4 Sep 2012, 5:11pm

Im glad hes back….only because I fancy him LOL….wish he was my b/f

1. mark young 4 Sep 2012, 6:37pm

awww. maybe if you go and meet him outside parliament. you could go and wait for him outside and give him your phone number. you look like a handsome enough fella. although it might be a bit creepy if you do that. hes probs got a gaydar account if you look hard enough. why would you fancy him anyway? and I reckon hes really boring.

1. I just wanted to say I’m glad the above comment is a nice one instead of a put down.

1. mark young 4 Sep 2012, 7:26pm

I only put people down when they take the moral high ground and think they are above others. and theres quite a lot on PN comments who think they are above others.

1. Marcwebbo3 4 Sep 2012, 7:57pm

Now now why the negativity…totally agree with you Mark about people who take the moral high ground…..and PN is full of them….I wouldnt stand outside parliament in the hope of meeting David Laws that would be just so creepy….hes been a naughty boy but so what nobodies perfect….wouldnt care if he was boring….I would cheer him up….shame he has a b/f….ah well LOL

11. Tom White 4 Sep 2012, 5:52pm

I’m sure there are plenty of honest gay guys out there who’d also do a good job as Education Minister. Am I supposed to be glad about this just because I’m gay? He’s a liar, and he was censured accordingly. He should have resigned as an MP, not be brought back as a minister.

1. mark young 4 Sep 2012, 6:38pm

you think any politician is honest? oh shlt. there are some really naive people on these comments.

1. All politicians are dishonest.

It takes a special kind of scumbag (for example David Laws) to steal from the taxpayer however.

12. well the law didn’t recognize him as the spouse/partner until 2004 so for those 3 years it would have been a genuine claim.

13. With his record for probity, he’ll fit right in.

14. A criminal has been called back to rejoin the gang of thieves. Nothing new, and has been already expected.

15. Give the guy another chance, I say. And I don’t condemn him for being afraid of revealing his sexuality. OK, so it’s 2012, and the world’s a more tolerant place – but still, we all know people suffer verbal abuse, bullying and worse, and we all deal with it differently. Some people can be hugely confident in some areas of their lives and not in others. We’re not all at the same place in life, and those who aren’t as confident in coming out need to be helped and encouraged, not ridiculed.

1. Why should he get a second chance.

Benefit cheats don’t.

Why is there a double standard applied to thieving millionaires?

16. It turns my stomach to think this crook is being allowed back into high office, having faced no criminal prosecution for the £40,000 of taxpayers’ money he stole. If a benefits claimant had done the same thing, they would have been thrown in jail without delay.

I’m sorry. I don’t care if he was pressured into the closet (an explanation I take with pinch of salt). He is an ex-JP Morgan banker and asset stripper who rented out several properties to sell off at six figure profits and his partner the employee of a lobbying firm.

Do you really want people like this representing you?

17. He is a liar and has had his hand in the till. That is sadly all too common in politics. Restoring such known scoundrels to public office is a sign of the brazen corruption of the political class today. But I think there is an even worse problem here. Somebody who steals money so close to something he wants to hide is an idiot. And I think idiots in power are more dangerous than crooks.