Cornwall: Catholic school fails to distance itself from anti-gay row

1. Ian Bower 3 Sep 2012, 6:20pm

Kainotophobics.

2. ARichHusband 3 Sep 2012, 6:23pm

This is why I left Cornwall at 18.

3. Does this apply to Free Schools?

The Equality Act (Sexual Orientation Regulations) [2007]

This Act will be useful for you if you are trying to prove that a teacher, student, senior management team or school has discriminated against you because of real or perceived sexual orientation. The Equality Act makes discrimination against someone for their real or perceived sexual orientation illegal in the provision of goods, services and facilities. It very clearly defines discrimination and includes direct discrimination and indirect discrimination in its policy. Section 13 of the Sexual Orientation Regulations says that all students have an equal right to education, regardless of their real or perceived sexual orientation.

1. Does not apply to private schools or organisations or belief organisations

1. free schools are not exempt from this becuase they are not private schools, hell becuase their government funded they’re even not exempt from the public sector equalities duty, more info on that…

4. The religious not obeying the same laws as everybody else – again.

“Gays would be welcome to this school, but we would not encourage it” Isn’t that blatant discrimination?

1. They’re saying they don’t encourage homosexuality, but they welcome homosexuals to school, there’s nothing discriminating about that.

5. “Welcome” but “not encourage[d]”. In English “not welcome”. Imagine what would be done if this comment was made about any racial group.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Sep 2012, 6:44pm

If Simmons isn’t a teacher, who exactly is he to dictate what the school will not do and what is his association with it I wonder?

1. PantoHorse 4 Sep 2012, 12:58pm

Grandfather of a former student…. at this *newly* opened school….

Is the school new or not? How new?

7. Pavlos Prince of Greece 3 Sep 2012, 6:57pm

Who can believe in this statement, that homophobia have ‘no place in our school’? The Saint maybe? (excepting Simon Templar alias Roger Moore). Of course, this school still is homophobic and will be in the future. They say this just because not to violate The Equality Act and became money. Welcome to United Kingdom in the second year a.P.B.v. (after Pope Benedict visit).

8. “Mr Simmons] is not a parent. He is not a governor”

But Joyce Sanderson IS a Governor. How disingenuous of the school to concentrate on Mr Simmons but seemingly totally ignore the statement from one of its own governors about gay children not being welcome.

9. Why on Earth is the taxpayer funding religious schools?

School education should be secular, and not ram harmful religious superstition down children’s throats.

If people wish to pursue a particular religion, then they can make an informed decision, hopefully with as little pressure as possible, when they are adults.

NO public tax money to religious schools.

10. Simples. These shamans will always present blatantly false sweet reasonableness to the outside world and teach irrational discriminatory cr@p to the kids behind closed doors. Let them get on with it – and take every penny of public money off them.

11. Pavlos Prince of Greece 3 Sep 2012, 9:37pm

‘Respect, compassion, sensitivity’. Well, it sounds like about St. Francis, not St. Michael`s school. The selection of this Saint is not a accident, its very symbolic choice: fighter against sin, against moral evil, patron of medieval Knights… Some researchers of the iconography of Church in the Middle Ages even consider the figure of St. Michael as a symbol of the biblical fight against homosexuality: strong men, who is victorious defeating a deviant beautiful male demon. Anyway, its absolutely clear, what exactly Catholic Church wish to say with the name of this taxpayer funding place of education in the ‘secular’ United Kingdom.

12. Paddyswurds 3 Sep 2012, 9:42pm

Isn’t this exactly what was expected once the idea of uncontrolled Faith Schools was mooted. This is just the beginning and we will see further craziness from these creeps once they get their teeth round the bit, so to speak. We will be faced with the craziness that has become America with more and more outlandish claims and statements daily, and we only have CallmeDave to blame. The very idea of faith schools in 2012 is anathema to a free and secular society.

13. “Blacks would be welcome to this school, but we would not encourage it”.

1. “Blacks would be welcome to this school, but they should not expect us to treat them equal as whites though”

I think this sums it up it up better

14. Family values should be taught at home. Facts should be taught at school. Simple as that.

15. johnny33308 4 Sep 2012, 5:53am

Mr. Simmons’ generation has been ‘in charge’ of our world for some time. Haven’t they just done a fantastic job with it? Isn’t this the world we all dreamed we’d live in?

16. I am going along tomorrow morning to join a dignified protest outside said school. If anyone is interested in joining, we have a small group of around 30 so far..I know 30 people isn’t much, but every person counts, and if anyone at all would be able to make it we are meeting at 08:30am outside the school which is opposite Camborne railway station.

I grew up in Cornwall, and as many others did, moved away to London before coming home. I am encouraged that attitudes have changed since my growing up here, but there is still a long way to go judging by this woman’s comments about “the gays”.

17. Another Conrishman who left for the city here. What with this and the Marazion B&B, Cornwall is getting a bad rep at the moment, it honestly isn’t as hostile as all this. Yes, it isn’t the most diverse place, but the majority there aren’t as narrow minded as recent articles make them seem.

Oh, and Pink News, please get your facts straight. Before leaving Cornwall earlier this year, I lived in Camborne for several years. It is not a “small Cornish village,” it’s one of the largest towns in Cornwall. A quick trip to Wikipedia would tell you ” By 2007 the population had grown to 22,500. The population of the Camborne-Redruth urban area, which includes Pool and Illogan and satellite villages, is 39,937 making it the largest conurbation in Cornwall”

18. I feel sorry for any LGBT child forced to attend this school by their parents. I do know if I had a child who was GLBT I would be lookin for ANY other school than this.

The fact that they would “welcome” GLBT children but would not encourage it tells me all i need to know about this school.

19. Indoctrinating children with religion is child abuse.

20. you don’t “encourage” people to be gay though, what is encouraged is that people are true to them self and not to cause pain and suffering to people by living a lie.

21. Mr. SIMMONS.
    I am 70.
    When I was a child, I went to a school run by the Holy Child Jesus nuns and from their went to a Catholic grammar school run by the Irish Christian Brothers.
    The ignorance of these people on ‘life’ was astounding. They may very well have had lives prior to entering religious life as professed members but pass it on, truly educate, they did not.
    Our daily diet after the 3 ‘R’s, was Blessed Virgin Mary this and BVM that and the recitation of the Ave Maria on the hour every hour.
    So brainwashed was I with all this twaddle, that I myself went into a religious order at 15 only to find that at 19, having discovered that I was ‘so oriented’ after confiding my innermost thoughts to the Father Superior of that order, that I had to leave having been told that I was ”ill but could be helped by this certain doctor in Liverpool who would administer electricity to my system in such a way that bla etc.”
    I have not been inside a church since then, 1961.
    Keith.
    SALFORD

22. …to continue, MR. SIMMONS, since I ran out of space.

If I had my way, I would close every last religious school down and give P45’s to every Lord Bishop in the Upper House. This country needs to cut the chains which still bind it to the 12th century and MOVE FERKIN ON.
    Keith.