Vicar returns to parish and vows celibacy after being attacked by his lover

1. While I have sympathy for the man in question, Rev. Harrison inclines that he was slashed because he was not leading a celibate life, which in itself is utterly ridiculous!

I wish Rev. Asbridge a speedy recovery.

1. way to take crime of passion to a whole new level.

Both of them deserve to be persecuted based on the severity of their offences.

– Slasher
      – Promiscuos vicar

Imagine if this happened in Iran.

2. This is actually quite offensive. The fact both men are gay has nothing to do with the fact that one of them is mentally ill and the other is a shaman in a homophobic iron-age death cult.

1. de Villiers 22 Aug 2012, 12:10pm

And your post is not offensive?

1. So a heterosexual Reverend meets a woman who attacks him, and he should become celibate?…is that the kind of logic Asbridge and the church are trying to employ here?

2. That There Other David 22 Aug 2012, 8:16pm

How is it offensive to point out that religion is a load of old bunk trying to con people into thinking they can survive death?

3. I suppose it could be argued that the shaman’s death-cult is largely a product of medieval and early modern superstition, despite its iron-age origins. An historian of ideas who is a stickler for detail might find the lack of clarity there somewhat offensive I suppose…

3. Pink Reader 22 Aug 2012, 11:08am

The couple met back in 1993. Barber has said he was depressed and their relationship soon became “emotional and sexual.”

I think this is the point at which the Vicar should have remained professional.

The South Camden Deanery has a large percentage of Gay clergy and for years it has conned the public into believing all those clergy are celibate. That is a joke.
    Just like we all believe the Bishop in his nice pad in Hampstead has remained celebate with his partner living in for over 10 years. This was the same for the previous Bishop who lived at number One Regents Park Terrace. The clergy should come out and be honest and stop lying to the public. So many times we read about these tragic stories ranted by lies. In the early 90s a celibate vicar was found on boxing day chained to his bed dead with an orange stuffed in his mouth and a bottle of poppers beside him, That reminds me of the celibate vicar who took a young man to the Whittington after young man drank poppers in his bed.

4. Suddenly Last Bummer 22 Aug 2012, 12:11pm

Vicar in a tutu. Why do gay people like this guy seek to associate themselves with Christianity?

1. Mister Fister 22 Aug 2012, 5:45pm

Smiths references? Yes, always welcome.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Aug 2012, 12:18pm

Practising homosexual? Is the terminology ‘practising heterosexual’ ever directed at a male attacking a female whom he may have had sexual relations with? I think NOT!

6. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Aug 2012, 12:23pm

Does the CoE really believe that gay clergy in CPs for example are celibate? Nobody can convince me that two men sharing a bed who are supposedly in love would deliberately choose to live a life of no physical contact and denying their humanity? Unreal and delusional.

7. Paul Essex/London 22 Aug 2012, 2:36pm

“There is no question he is a practising homosexual…..He admits he has made a mistake and has paid dearly for it.”

Great! So yet again by trying to sweep the reality that there are gay people from all walks of life who have fulfilling, loving (and sexually active) relationships, this unfortunate event will be used as another example to back up the fallacy that gay relationships are ultimately about violence, abuse and self destruction. So that people who attend these churches can continue to be fed misinformation and form the ranks of the antigay alliance fuelled by scaremongering rot!

8. Mister Fister 22 Aug 2012, 5:38pm

I haven’t heard the term ‘practicing homosexual’ for years. I thought we were all experts now. Whatever next – ‘self-confessed homosexual’? … I admit it, I admit it!…

This story makes me wonder why so many gay men become priests or vicars. Has anyone any idea about the causal link?

Mathematics has never been my strong point but am I wrong in calculating that Mr. Barber was seventeen years old when he met the Rev? How old was the Rev when they met? What were their ages when they began their sexual relationship? Surely, if they had sex when they first became acquainted wouldn’t the Rev have been committing a crime under the law at that time?

A propos nothing, I can recall a time when I saw a vicar in full religious drag – you know, dog collar and all – cottaging in the toilets near Carnaby Street. I was SHOCKED! But I suppose that says something about me being brought up by hardline Catholic parents. The damage was not permanent. I now have a healthy contempt for all religions.

1. I don’t understand why this has been published, this incident took place over 10 years ago…have I missed something

9. Another awful story of the screw-ups produced by CoE homophobia. Years ago I knew a CoE vicar and his boyfriend (who was his curate) who were exemplary role-models of a loving faithful couple – or would have been if they hadn’t had to live in fear and denial. Yet this tale of a twisted and violent relationship followed by ‘renunciation’ of gay sex gets full publicity. Have no sex with the one you love or have sex and lie – wonderful options on offer to ordained gay Anglicans.

10. It took me ages to find this article in The Independent, probably because it was published on 19 November 1996. (I was intrigued by the thought the disturbed young man would have been 17 when he met the vicar.)

What’s going on, PN?

11. Nick Anthony 25 Aug 2012, 9:17pm

This story dates from 1996 why is it being resurrected now?