Video: Boris Johnson comes @Out4Marriage and says marriage is a ‘happy state’

1. Thanks Boris!

It’s a bit of a u-turn for him, but I think that’s actually something we should be celebrating.

Any noise in favour of this issue is useful.

1. They are going apoplectic on the Telegraph site, in the comments section. It’s as if Boris had announced plans to abduct their wives and force them all into same sex marriage!!

2. Frank Thomas 20 Aug 2012, 1:52pm

This should be celebrated and widely circulated, at a time when the nasty government in Madrid has just appointed an Opus Dei judge to rule on the abortion and gay marriage laws.

3. Spanner1960 20 Aug 2012, 2:05pm

I’m glad Boris has finally had the time to do this.

I think a few apologies are due from all the lefty neo-Marxist sceptics out there.

1. I was a Conservative sceptic, but I am certainly willing to apologise for my scepticism now and eat humble pie. I didn’t think he was going to do this.

The humble pie is sticking in my throat a tiny bit, though, as he managed to get through the whole video without mentioning any of the words “gay”, “lesbian”, “bisexual”, “transsexual”, or “same-sex”. Someone watching the video who didn’t know “Out4Marriage was a campaign for LGBT equal marriage wouldn’t have had any idea that he was endorsing anything other than traditional heterosexual marriage. Or would they? Perhaps I missed something …

Anyway, it’s a good outcome, and well done to the Mayor.

1. it was calculated, half baked effort to get gay activists of his back, not many people heard of out4marriage campaign so his message supporting marriage for all wont make any difference in slightest

1. Sister Mary Clarence 21 Aug 2012, 9:49am

Would you like another piece of never happy … oh, no, I see you’ve got plenty already.

2. I was sure he’d do it. As many said before, he has been some what busy of late……not sure with what…but I know he was!! lol

Great Olympics by the way Boris!!!

4. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Aug 2012, 2:46pm

Thank you, Boris Johnson, long overdue but well done, at long last.

5. Thank you very much, Boris :-)

6. Thank you Boris, apologies for my cynicism.

7. faeces on the penis causes HPV and HIV,, 20 Aug 2012, 3:14pm

Who takes their moral cues from a bloated Try buffoon?

1. Do you still beat your wife?

2. Certainly not religious bigots or those like you who need to get a life!

3. So your handle is “faeces on the penis causes HPV …”

Never mind that, mate. You should be worrying about faeces on the brain.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Aug 2012, 5:08pm

Tell us why you always seem to obsess so much about the penis? Not getting any? Buffoon!

5. Sister Mary Clarence 21 Aug 2012, 9:52am

Seemingly you do.

Boris speaks … you spew faeces.

Ironic really that you more than anyone seem to be taking your moral cues from him.

8. Dear old Boris, true to his word! I will be very happy when he becomes PM.

9. And hox exactly will this new video ensure that we have marriage equality by Christmas 2012?

The time for this video campaign is over.

The grotesquely offensive and unnecessary ‘consultation’ on whether or not we should have equality is complete.

When will legislation be introduced.

We are all agreed I hope that waiting until 2015 for equality is absolutely unacceptable and that there is no valid reason why we don’t have equality by Christmas 2012?

1. dAVID

We are lucky to have a Government that consults prior to legislation. We could be living in Russia, after all ….

The delay is needed so there is time for a thorough consultation. David Cameron has said repeatedly that the consultation is not on whether the legislation is implemented, but on HOW it is implemented. They need feedback from the public so that the legislation is drafted correctly and difficulties pre-empted. People will have raised issues during the consultation that will be helpful to the drafting of the legislation.

For instance, currently the incest laws would prevent a brother and sister marrying. But I believe incest, as legally defined, has to involve vaginal intercourse. So for same-sex marriage, there would need to be a way of drafting the legislation that prevents two sisters or two brothers etc. getting married.

Stuff like that has to be considered. Don’t knock the PM for the delay. It is needed so the job is done properly.

1. How it is implemented? By getting rid of this homophobic lot in government, and replacing them with a gay-friendly party. That is what happened during the last government which lasted 13 years of gay-friendly administration. With this lot all we are gonna get is lots of hot air.

1. Strange. I don’t remember the policy to look into legalising same-sex marriage being in the Labour or Lib Dem manifesto literature at the last election.

It was in the Conservative manifesto literature.

And David Cameron has gone out on a limb to support equal marriage, and insist it will become law, despite massive opposition from sections of his Party and the Church, and people apparently leaving the Conservative Party in droves because of it, and calling for his replacement as leader.

On reading stuff such as you have written, any lesser man than David Cameron would surely wonder whether he should have bothered.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 21 Aug 2012, 10:45am

Utterly deluded!

The Labour Party had 13 long years to introduce marriage equality in this country and it never did.

Dress it up all you like, but they didn’t consider it an equality we were worthy of.

1. You must be living in another dimension then. The Labour party back in 1996/7, declared they’d give us civil unions, and that was at a time when marriage equality was still only a feeble concept worldwide. Concomitantly David Cameron, his cronies and your pathetic overlicked homophobes in power were at that time, criminalising males who would dare to call themselves Sister Mary Clarences.

10. More of an advert for London really though isn’t it? The bumbling buffoon does not even mention LGBT at all in it.

Still, small step Boris!

11. While the sentiments surrounding the Out4Marriage campaign seem commendable, I’m curious to know what the point of the campaign is.

If all 3 of the main political parties support equality (arguable I know, in the case of the Tories) then a video campaign seems unnecessary and I am confused as to what it hopes to achieve.

The whole idea of an ‘OUt for Marriage’ campaign seems to create the impression that there may be valid reasons for opposing civil marriage equality.

There is no valid reason for the denial of marriage equality.

So what’s the point of the campaign?

Does tge Out4Marriage campaign have a deadline by which they want to see marriage equality introduced?

If not then why not?

When is the summer break from Parliament over.

I wasn tto see marriage equality legislation introduced on th e1st day back after summer recess.

1. They’re still cautious to actually go ahead with it because the Church is guaranteed to kick up an almighty fuss, and there’s quite a few Bishops in the House of Lords which could cause problems.

That being said, they should frankly stuff them and do it anyway.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Aug 2012, 10:32pm

Not only that, there are a significant number of Tory backbenchers who could derail passage in Parliament, not to mention those Tory right wingers in the House of Lords including the majority of the 26 or so Anglican clergy. The passage of CPs wasn’t easy and didn’t get through with a large majority. Equal marriage will have a tougher fight.

12. Would it have hurt him to use the words gay or lesbian in this message? If I wanted to be a sceptic I’d say its a clever reaffirmation of his previous ‘3 men and a dog’ stance. As someone who just wants equal marriage for gay and lesbian people then I say I feel pretty let down by such a flimsy message. It could have been so much better.

1. Paul Wishart 20 Aug 2012, 4:07pm

I think Michael C is right when he says that Boris’ statement is rather flimsy and that he avoids the words “gay” and “lesbian”. Would it have choked him to say those two words?

1. Spanner1960 20 Aug 2012, 10:40pm

Well I am of totally the opposite opinion.
        If he had said “gay marriage” all the girls, TS/TG and every other bunch would have been moaning about being marginalised and/or ignored.

What he said was ANY couple that wish to get married ought to have the right; That says it all. Quit with the nitpicking semantics.

1. Very well said Spanner…couldn’t agree more!!!

2. Older generations may like being labeled as a gay,a lesbian, a black, etc, but the now generation is much more assimilated and simply wants equality for all, which is why Boris is so popular with twenties and thirties – he’s very much in tune with society of now, not 80s style segregation of identity.

13. Peter & Michael 20 Aug 2012, 4:11pm

Hoorah !

1. Fr. Mike D 20 Aug 2012, 5:45pm

Woo!

14. That’s all we need , the support of the village idiot ! Ffs

15. Good job. Keep up the pressure and one day he may explain why he has compared homosexuality to bestiality, and all his other homophobic declarations, which are blemishing his credentials.

1. Beberts, you just don’t get the British middle class mentality do you? Boris wasn’t comparing homosexuality with bestiality, he was putting the love of a man for a man or a man for a woman, or woman for a woman with the love an English man feels for his dog – that is a supreme compliment. The British love for animals is renowned which is why we don’t starve donkeys, shoot song birds or eat dogs.

2. Spanner1960 20 Aug 2012, 10:43pm

I would have said that everybody gets to learn sometime, but obviously brain-dead lefty fckwits such as yourself are obviously the exception to the rule.

With people like you you are damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.

16. GulliverUK 20 Aug 2012, 5:27pm

It was a bit short, but ok. As it was Boris I had really hoped he would come out with one of his profound and stunning historical sayings, which I had hoped would have been along the lines of;

“To those people who say Civil Partnerships are sufficient, do you think that’s like saying to Rosa Parks that being made to sit at the back of the bus, behind all the white folks, is ok because you’ll still get to where you’re going? I don’t, because if people want that option, to choose marriage, they should be allowed, just like anybody else.”

We must be grateful for small miracles – I wasn’t sure he was really going to make one !

1. The issue with Rosa Parks, was not sitting at the back of the bus, it meant moving backwards so long as a white person needed a seat. Sometimes ti meant gettiing off the bus. So no, you did not always get to where you were going.

17. Thank you for doing that.

18. Boris can’t say ANYTHING without promoting his own political position.
    OUT4Marriage is about marriage, not how good/bad he’s done as Mayor.
    I bet he’s only done this vid cos he wants kudos, not bcos he really cares !!!

19. Sounds like lip service. I get the sense he’s not really that interested, he’s just doing it as a political calculation, and it took him long enough. He doesn’t talk much about his reasoning, instead about London. I like Boris in general, but I think he should be more supportive on this issue.

1. Really I don’t care if he’s interested or not so long as he supports same sex marriage, this isn’t much of an effort on his part but it’s enough.

20. political broadcast with thrown in support for marriage to all (without mentioning word gay), perhaps he also meant “union between three men or indeed three men and a dog.”

21. I have a real cynicism when it comes to Boris Johnson on LGBT issues, but good news is good news :)

Well done Boris!

22. This is fantastic news because it significantly strengthens Cameron’s pro Equal Marriage agenda as well.

Boris is widely seen as the No.1 Tory alternative leader, so Cameron could have been seriously inhibited if the dinosaurs and religiots felt that they could always rally behind Boris.

That avenue is now firmly closed and they have absolutely nowhere to go ! :-)

23. The Evening Standard’s brilliant leader deserves a PN article in its own right.

Here’s the link so you can read it in full.

Note that the Standard doesn’t do things by halves – it’s the first leader, loud and proud !

Good to see Mr. Lebedev showing that not all Russians are homophobic bigots. The Evening Standard is infinitely better since it parted company with the Mail.

24. Well done Boris and very nicely put!!! Spread the word!!!

25. Pavlos Prince of Greece 21 Aug 2012, 2:17am

Now from the beautiful David and a member of Royal Family too, please! I think, Her Majesty The Queen or Prince of Wales is good enough.

1. You seem to have a bit of a fixation upon royalty, I doubt the queen will ever give her open support and neither will any of her vulgar extended family.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a soft spot for the queen, I think she’s done an ace job but I don’t have much regard for royalty generally.

26. Well done, Boris. Pity you dragged your feet but well done.