Radio 1’s Grimmy confirms he’s gay and would like to date Frank Ocean

1. It gets are eworse!,, Keith,/ 18 Aug 2012, 2:33pm

Why do the deviant community feel the urge to declare their deviance. I have no desire to publicly declare my normality (heterosexuality).
    Are these matters not private?

1. So you’ve never had a picture of a partner up at work, or in your wallet?

Never talked about going on a date? Never mentioned a wife or girlfriend? Never once ever commented on the attractiveness of a person you saw or a celebrity?

Heterosexuals publicly declare their sexuality CONSTANTLY. Its in disney films, its in toys, its in adverts, its in comics performances, its a important plot component of pretty much every mainstream film ever, and its a normal part of everyone’s conversation everywhere.

1. It gets are eworse!,, Keith,/ 18 Aug 2012, 3:42pm

You numpty. this is the declaration he made.
        “has spoken about his sexuality for the first time in an in-depth interview to the Guardian newspaper”
        Please show me a similar declaration by a hetero normal.
        I await!!!

1. Heteros do it all the time, you bigot. Every time they declare they have a partner they indicate their sexuality, no one knows anyones sexuality until its declared. I guess that you aren’t smart enough to realise that.

2. Sister Mary Clarence 18 Aug 2012, 9:10pm

Probably not … I suspect he has only ever had a close relationship with the five fingered widow.

2. Rudehamster 18 Aug 2012, 2:59pm

Deviant community? Your normality? Your argument is piss poor and your letter only shows you an obnoxious and ignorant homophobe. Your parents must be very proud.

With your high handed attitude, I have no doubt you subscribe to the Daily Mail. Perhaps you already write for them?

I invite you to have the same conversation on a face to face basis, instead of talking your homophobic drivel from behind the safety and anonymity of the internet.

In answer to your question. People’s sex life is private, however it is up to any individual whether they divulge their sexuality or not. It often makes life much easier to get things out in the open.

Being gay in a world where overt heterosexuality (such as yours) is shoved in your face 24/7 can be almost unbearable. People always presume that you are straight and it can be stifling. By coming out we make a stand for ourselves and for others. Good on Nick Grimshaw.

3. You’re such a bigoted, moronic twat, Keith, why on earth would anyone not think you’re straight?

4. That There Other David 18 Aug 2012, 4:06pm

I’m glad it appears to be getting worse for you Keith. It means the world is heading in the right direction.

5. It can’t be easy being both functionally illiterate AND a braindead closet f@g like Keith.

6. Haha this made me laugh. Why does Keith spend his weekend checking out gay news sites?

There are plenty of things I’m not interested in and plenty of things I disapprove of. I definitely have too much happening in my life to spend it trawling their news sites.

7. keith: “I have no desire to publicly declare my normality (heterosexuality)”

Yet you just did – on a gay site. How insecure must you be to haunt gay sites and take every opportunity to shout out how staright you are? See how you took the care to put ‘heterosexuality’ in brackets there in case anyone thought different. Sad.

Get help, keith, and you’d be a lot happier.

8. Please explain what scientific basis you have for labelling gay people “deviant”. Or if you can’t then please confirm this by not replying.

9. Katie Kool-eyes 18 Aug 2012, 8:14pm

Does anyone know how I coulld go about reporting ,,Keith,/ to the website admin? I’m all for discussion, but this is just hate

1. Hi. There’s a “REPORT” button to the top right of the nasty little homophobe’s coment (just next to where it says “-71″!) If you click it then it tells PinkNews, although many will have done so already and he’ll be banned on Monday morning.

As you say, it’s not about suppressing legitimate debate, just trolling from bigots who aren’t remotely interested in anything approaching rational discussion and who just wish to spout hatred while avoiding difficult follow-up points/questions. Yes, most homophobes end up being banned very quickly, but it’s not our fault that there are so few of them who can debate reasonably (that’s just what tends to happen when a group of people is so objectively wrong about something). In a way I’d quite like it if a homophobe came on here and debated honestly, without endlessly repeating debunked arguments, and was happy to address people’s replies properly and without lying, but I’m not holding my breath.

1. Katie Kool-eyes 19 Aug 2012, 5:33pm

thankyou :)

10. Keith, if you seriously believe, as you certainly imply here, that heteros don’t constantly talk about their boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, or whom they fancy for the role, and generally with the unfailing encouragement of their peers, then you are even further off this planet than we already suspected.

1. Exactly. When a homophobe complains about a gay person “ramming it down other peopole’s throats”, what they *always* actually mean is “trying to be equal by [for example] talking about their boyfriend/girlfriend in the same way as a ‘normal’ person would”. It’s just another thing the homophobes say which can easily be shown to be disingenuous and incorrect.

I would have (slightly) more respect for them if they just said “I don’t think you should be equal” instead of trying to cloak their hate and make it sound reasonable. But no, there’s always some kind of dishonesty going on with such people. It amazes me that they think they’re fooling anyone with their crude deceit.

1. ” would have (slightly) more respect for them if they just said “I don’t think you should be equal””

And strangely enough if you ask “WHY”

They do not have an answer other than. “Just because” or the old humdinger – “GOD SAYS SO”.

11. Hi Keith

And come Monday morning bye Keith.

Always nice to hear from you, feel free to take your time before your next communication with the outside world though. The therapy clearly isn’t working yet.

12. And yet you spend your life commenting on Gay news stories on this site. You are indeed a sad little cretin!

13. Why are you even on here. You obviously haven’t a bloody clue!!! Tell me…when did you last get beaten up or thrown out of someone where for showing gentle affection for your girlfriend?

Two words…Bugger Off!

2. Rudehamster 18 Aug 2012, 2:37pm

I’ve always fancied Nick Grimshaw. *sigh*

3. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Aug 2012, 3:14pm

Poor pathetic Keith. You’re normal? Really? Then if we’re a socalled “deviant” comunity, what does that make you for coming to a gay site? Any well adjusted, sexually secure heterosexual wouldn’t even conceive of it. Those who rant against us are the most suspect of all. You need to do more reading and learn something about yourself.

1. Well said, Robert. And it’s the rage that keith often shows that’s most disturbing. What gets him so worked up that he posts raving, bizarre posts on Pink News? It’s hate, alright, but I think the source of that hate is a lot closer to home than he thinks…

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Aug 2012, 5:15pm

Indeed, Iris. It’s all in both those articles and well documented.

I once knew a pyschologist in Highgate who worked with the police years ago who told me whenever he had to give testimony in an sexual orientation assault hearing, most of the homophobic bullies turned out to be repressed gays passing themselves off as straight. This was before the current laws were passed of course and harder to prosecute.

2. Iris, Robert, why are you wasting your time with sad creatures like the ridiculous Keith? Just report and ignore, you know bores like him seek attention above all else, and that’s exactly what you’re giving him.

4. If someone linked me “romantically” with peaches geldof id want to come out at the earliest possible opportunity too.

1. Me to, even if I wasn’t Gay!

5. Suddenly Last Bummer 18 Aug 2012, 5:25pm

Nick Grimshaw aka Grimmy aka the ‘good time thats been had by all’ at Dalston Superstore. I’m actually more surprised at how photoshopped and airbrushed that photo of him is accompanying this story.

6. First off who is is? Secondly, should I care?

1. There’s always someone who says “who is he?”, isn’t there? Did you read the article? He’s the new host of the Radio 1 breakfast show and he’s gay. You don’t have to care, but it’s a nice job for a gay person, wouldn’t you say?

1. Perhaps I should add that it’s a very high profile role too. Gay people i n very high profile, influential roles in presenting is a good thing, is it not?

2. I have to agree with Tommy. I never heard of him until I read this. It seems to be de rigeur for celebrities to ‘come out’ these days. There are gay people who are doctors, nurses, lawyers etc who contribute more to our community than most of these gay celebs.

1. How, exactly – unless these doctors etc work specifically for gay people?

If you hadn’t heard of Grimshaw before you read this (and neither had I), perhaps you should see the article as an opportunity to educate yourself?

7. Midnighter 18 Aug 2012, 8:16pm

Eclipses Scott Mills in what way? Very odd observation imho. Scott is far funnier, talented and more interesting a listen. I’m genuinely stumped, no offence to Grimmy.

Oh for the love of Thor, please lay off Chris Moyles already, PN. You just had to go there, didn’t you? As a regular listener and even a “sensitive flower” (according to on of my bosses) I have listened to Moyles since he’s been at Radio 1 and I have NEVER been offended : his affection for Aled is clear and I am utterly convinced that those involved in making allegations of homophobia do not listen to the show and are actually doing a disservice to the gay community by looking far to hard for offence.

This is one of the weakest stories you’ve run in ages. Tut, and such.

1. Paul from Brighton 18 Aug 2012, 8:39pm

I’ve never listened to Moyles, afraid I’m too old for Radio 1, I’m more of a Radio 4 fan…And I’m don’t last well past midnight, lol, so we probably have little in common!

However, my understanding was that Moyles could see nothing wrong with calling something ‘gay’. As in ‘that’s a bit gay, isn’t it..’

I’m open to correction here, as this was my understanding of what he said that caused offence to gay people. If so, then I’d agree it’s offensive. For example I overheard one of my younger staff saying on Friday when he was commenting about the Olympic BMXing that it was all ‘gay’ really. When I asked him what he meant, he said ‘sh*te’.

1. Midnighter 18 Aug 2012, 9:19pm

I can honestly say I don’t recall hearing him say that (and since that usage is a pet hate of mine I’m sure I would have noticed) and suspect if he ever did it wasn’t a habitual on-air occurance. If he did, then he has apparently modified his language and attitudes : what more does the gay community need?!

The detractors are not listeners, clearly. Chris typically puts out a very flirty metrosexual vibe, and hearing him and Alan Carr carry together is always quite a laugh.

If we want to improve LGBT tolerance in society, we need to show some tolerance of our own and allow people the chance to change for the better or be no better than the worst of the homophobes.

1. Paul from Brighton 20 Aug 2012, 10:09pm

Sorry, I’ve been away since I replied to your post. If you look at Wikipedia, it’s well documented. Here’s what they say of it:

“Moyles was accused of homophobia in May 2006, when he rejected a ringtone by saying “I don’t want that one, it’s gay”, live on air. This led to a number of complaints to the BBC. They argued that the use of the word gay in this context was homophobic. The BBC governors said that Moyles was simply keeping up with developments in English usage.

The programme complaints committee said that, “The word ‘gay’, in addition to being used to mean ‘homosexual’ or ‘carefree’, was often now used to mean ‘lame’ or ‘rubbish’. In describing a ringtone as gay, the DJ was conveying that he thought it was ‘rubbish’ rather than ‘homosexual’. Moyles was not being homophobic.” The panel acknowledged, however, that this use of the word ‘gay’ in a derogatory sense could cause offence to some listeners and counselled caution on its use.”

Paul

1. Fair enough, Paul, but I fail to see how that should convince me that we should be slating the guy – apparently forever – over this 6 year old storm in a teacup.

It’s quite simple : either you educate, replace hatred with understanding and thereby build bridges or you remain unforgiving and divided.

This is all a moot point as Grimmy’s replacing Chris come September anyway I understand. I am simply disappointed that people (PN’s own reporter in this instance) are willing to repeatedly dredge this thin ‘story’ up yet again, especially since this is a show with a very out gay producer and what I’ve always felt to be a gay-friendly tone.

2. My nephew as refered to things as gay plenty of times, and though I don’t like it, the one thing I know is he isn’t homophobic! Sadly it’s something people say. I do my best to correct them!

2. SwimmerBoy 18 Aug 2012, 9:27pm

Lol why has someone even voted this as a bad comment? Grimmy FTW but everyone can have their opinion. Ppl take things far too seriously.

1. I thought the same!

3. Agree Midnighter…And he and JB are good friends. Some of the funniest interviews in my opinion! lol you ever heard his funny interviews with John Barrowman and what they’ve got up too?

8. I think this Nick Grimshaw chap is a bit socially inept. If someone speculated about my being ‘wet’ or ‘whiny’ so publically, I wouldn’t dream of going out with him.

9. Important announcement:- I would like to confirm that I am gay. Absolutely. 100%.

At least I was the last time I checked.

Watch this space…

10. Good for you, Grimmy.

11. GayCommenter 19 Aug 2012, 2:32pm

How very brave of him at the age of 28, when he gets not just the most prestigious job at Radio 1 but arguably in British radio, he finally comes out as gay. Wow(!)

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 19 Aug 2012, 8:46pm

He didn’t do it beforehand, yes very brave of him. I assume you’re being facetious?

12. Spanner1960 19 Aug 2012, 2:45pm

Wh the hell listens to radio1 any more anyway? It’s just full of crap rap acts and autotuned R’n’B girls that wouldn’t know rhythm or Blues if it bit them in the arse.

1. Midnighter 19 Aug 2012, 5:51pm

Yep, horribly commercial and superficial garbage for the most part.

1. It might be an age thing.

I started on Radio Luxembourg, then to Radio 1, then Radio 2.

I’m now on Radio 4 and heaven help me I’m one click away from Classic FM.

However I draw the line at Radio 3. “The SOUND of one hand clapping.”

1. Spanner1960 20 Aug 2012, 2:08pm

I used to think that – I guess most parents hate their children’s music, but I really do genuinely think that the quality of music has been declining for the best part of 30 years. A combination if insufficient investment by the record companies, poorer education and the increase in the reliance of technology have all played their part.

2. Paul from Brighton 20 Aug 2012, 10:10pm

Keep listening to Radio 4, Dave, it’s a great channel. I must confess to being a ‘woman’s hour’ show fan….

13. He can date me

14. Tom in Brighton 14 Sep 2012, 11:27am

“Grimshaw is now Radio 1’s most high-profile openly gay broadcaster – ECLIPSING the station’s veteran afternoon presenter Scott Mills.”

Haha harsh.
    But I think the breakfast slot is going to be the death of Grimmy. He’s too aloof for daytime, Scott Mills would be much better in that role.

15. FannyLoveless 23 Sep 2012, 5:35pm

Huh? I thought this was already pretty well known and that he was dating Harry Styles (after Caroline Flack embarrassingly acted as a beard for Harry after a night with Nick who is her flatmate).

1. fannylovessass 24 Sep 2012, 12:05pm

you are a twat

1. fannyloveless 24 Sep 2012, 5:35pm

Huh? Why?

16. “I’ve just not met anyone that I thought ‘oh, I really like you that much’. I work so much, when I do go out, I’d rather go out with my friends.”

I tend to be the same. Unless I actually WANT to go out with someone, I stay single. It’s odd because you get people who assume that because your single and gay that maybe your confused about your sexuality ‘because’ you’re not with another gay person. It happens to straight people too.

People need to get over themselves and realise that most of us, including in the gay community, prefer to be single that bed hopping!

That’s something straight people do assume. If you’re gay then you have a greater apatite for sex and so sleep around more. Do we? Really?! I don’t think so…..Wait….I seemed to have left the track of the subject completely! lol

Sorry :-P

17. Honey, you may be gay, but you’re still a talent-free little idiot who got where he is through knowing the right people rather than any discernible skill or talent.

18. Grimmy’s sexuality has been an open secret in the community for donkey’s years… He’s been hanging around the East London gay scene for a long time, and still does. Never seems very approachable though, always appears to just stick with his friends and ignore everyone else, but then I don’t blame him too much. He’s friends with the Sink the Pink drag troupe, who are known for their club nights out east, and who appear as his backing dancers in that dreadful new video of his where he mouths the words to a Justin Bieber song… Can’t say I’m a big fan of his, particularly considering his slightly creepy love of the Bieber, but I’m glad that he had the balls to stand up and announce his queer identity to the British public.

19. IS HE?!?!?! Wow I had no idea….How odd it is that when it was announced he’d be taking over from Chris Moyels that someone mentioned he was gay!! *rolls eyes*

1. Wait! How the hell has this popped up again? I’m answering an old posting!!! grrr

20. I’m more surprised that he’s 28 than the fact he’s gay. I thought he was pushing 40.