George Michael defends London 2012 song choice and tells critics to f*** off!

1. It was a bit crass to shoehorn his new song into a celebration of UK music- its not as if anyone could sing along to it which WAS one of the key principles of the ceremony. Nice to see him back though and boring though it was it was a lot better than some of the other drivel we had to put up with in an otherwise excellent finale

2. Well, one could say that it was shameless self promotion of all the other artists songs as well.
    They were asked to perform and I see no problem in them performing any of their songs. Sometimes I just think you British people just can’t enjoy anything without having at least one good whinge about it.

1. I didnt particularly notice anyone else with a newly released song being used in the “Showcase of British Music” – to be in such a collection seems to suggest that the music is hugely popular. Whilst GM is popular, its not possible to say if his new song will be a massive hit, a bit of a success or a flop. It probably was not the best choice to be in the closing ceremony.

1. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:39pm

NOTHING is a ‘massive hit’ any more – in case it’s escaped your attention (it clearly has) the UK music industry is practically dead already. NOTHING gets to speak to the masses like it used to.

A ‘single’ generally now gets to number 1 with less than 20,000 copies sold. That’s a mockery compared to the amounts of people who used to buy, listen, appreciate and love the records of Artists like George Michael. Annie Lennox and the greater greats like The Who and The Kinks…

I wish the posters on here would spend less time slagging people off and more time educating themselves beforehand!

Whinge bloody whinge whinge whinge….

1. Spanner1960 17 Aug 2012, 8:36am

For once I agree with Staircase.
          The music business is a shadow of its former self, mind you they brought a lot of that on themselves with their cynical marketing, so I weep no tears.

3. Paul from Brighton 15 Aug 2012, 9:15pm

I thought his choice of song was excellent and both I and my partner really enjoy this new piece of music. His performance was excellent and he should be very proud of himself, and we proud that a gay man played such a major role.

Had in tears in my eyes watching dear Freddy, what a showman he was. What a shame he’s gone. The world lost someone very special when Freddy left us.

4. Yeah – that’s it George. Keep on as role model for young gay people. Pathetic.

1. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:35pm

Bollocks is it…

ALL of us who are out are role models for young LGBT kids, those in the public eye like George even more so.

Someone should get off their high horse and smell the roses…

Rainbow fish? Perhaps you could instead focus your attention on what the Assorted Christian Churches are doing I support of LGBT kids first eh…?

5. I m sure Freddie would have been turning in his grave watching George mime his latest song …. The great man would not have mimed – truth is George has lost it , it’s a shame but it’s the truth
    We wanted an up beat anthem belted out not George miming to his song telling us ” he’s alive ” we can see that George – alive but not really kicking any more

1. Totally agree Karl! He was bloody awful – and why the dark glasses. Hiding bleary eyes from the night before?

1. I couldn’t agree more with you both. I have seen GM alive a handful of times and this performance was simply awful and White Light is a terrible song. Dull like most of his music post Listen WIthout Prejudice.

I have never thought of GM as a gay role model or icon. He spent all of his early years hiding in the closet. What kind of message does that send out?

2. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:32pm

@tolerance
        …’intolerance’ more like it…

6. It’s a startlingly beautiful life affirming song. I don’t care if it was old or new. it seemed right for the event – much more so than some of the other musical choices (and i’m not really a George michael fan).

7. I was wondering what people were talking about on the PinkNews discussion board the night of the closing ceremonies. People were talking about how they didn’t like the second song and how he was obviously lip syncing. NBC clearly edited the second song out for its American broadcast hours later. We never saw a second song.

1. I guess I’ll have to go to YouTube to see what everyone’s talking about.

2. Lucky Americans I say

3. My cousin in Canada said they cut to a commercial break after his first song … They must have had the nod off the organisers as to best time to have a break

8. I am really pleased George is well after last year. However to use the closing ceremony of th Olympics games as an opportunity to say thank you to his fans for their support is just pure ego. It’s not about you luv. You are there to represent your country, not yourself.

The new single was boring and you could feel the energy drop as 90,000 people silently asked themselves what was going on.

Wrong song choice. Wrong attitude.

1. Well said Gus! You hit the nail on the head

9. Bill (Scotland) 15 Aug 2012, 10:53pm

What a load of “bitchy queens”!

I enjoyed George Michael’s part in the show.

The only thing I found quite painful was Paul McCartney in the the opening show straining to sing ‘Hey Jude’ and then exhorting male and female audience members to sing-a-long; he really should be in bed with a mug of cocoa!

George Michael can serenade me any day ;)

1. It’s not about being bitchy – this is a discussion forum and as such I assumed people were allowed to express their opinion. I am a massive fan of George have been since Wham! ( giving my age away ) which is why I feel disappointed .
      I m not slagging him off just wish he did things differently that’s all

10. I am not a George Michael fan…. but I love this song. I can totally relate to it after suffering depression. I’m ALIVE!

11. Christopher 16 Aug 2012, 12:02am

I’d rather hear something new from a man with a legitimate singing voice than something hacked through by some drug-addled, aging boomer dinosaurs!! There are more cohorts out there than just the kids of the ’60′s!!

And so what if it’s lip-synched? That is common practice when a new song is released (to protect the original version for copyright reasons) so you’d better be prepared to sue everyone from Ed Sullivan on down!!!

1. Spanner1960 16 Aug 2012, 3:29pm

Don’t talk crap.
      Only artists that cannot sing resort to playbacks.
      Jessie J, Ray Davies, Roger Daltrey, Annie Lennox, Neil Tennant and most of the others didn’t resort to it.

12. I cringed, I have lost alot respect for George after this – it just show how outta touch he really is. Its the Olympic Games not a George Michael concert. People did not pay to come and see him sing. The Olympics is so much bigger than him and the fact that he couldn’t see that made loose respect for him. Regardless of what the song meant to him or his recent experiences – it was the wrong occasion to sing something new. Makes the concert in November 2011 the last one I’ll go and see.

1. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:29pm

‘Lost respect for George’…?! It sounds like you never had any to start with.
      The real problem of the closing ceremony for me was the fluffy cabaret bollocks fcvking up the music performances.

‘Olympics bigger’ blah blah blah – the reason we had so much music was because music is one of the GREAT things we have given to the rest of the world. You don’t demonstrtate that greatness by having hordes of bloody clowns fcvking up one of the greatest singer-songwriters the UK has ever produced…
      You sing whatever you like, George – you’re there for a reason – and the reason’s that you are one of this countries greatest musical/cultural exports.

Has anyone bothered to suppose that perhaps the ‘reaction’ has more to do with homophobia and anti-George sentiment from Fleet St than it does have anything to do with his song choices?

13. Derek in Austin TX 16 Aug 2012, 4:22am

Im from the US. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed both songs and the performance. You can all go jump off a cliff with that pissy attitude. What a downer to see all the homophobia and George bashing (tweets) during the closing ceremony– before he even went on. If I were from the UK, I’d be beaming with pride for having one of the few remaining SUPERSTARS of the 80′s and 90′s performing at a pinnacle event for the country. What a fabulous Olympics London hosted. Well done. Now, how bout some class from the Brits after the Olympics.

14. So what? He is a recording artist. He did one song every one knew, he had the opportunity to promote his new one and he took it. That is how the business works. Personally I don’t care for his music anyway, but he had every right to do it.

15. George Forth 16 Aug 2012, 6:37am

Main problem was that it wasn’t a fun party song. Kylie did the same thing at the Sydney closing ceremony: Dancing Queen followed by new single On A Night Like This. But at least it was a song people had heard before from her new (at the time) album.

16. GingerlyColors 16 Aug 2012, 7:05am

George Michael certainly wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth and quite naturally used his performance at the London 2012 Closing Ceremony as an opportunity to promote his latest single. Some people criticized the Live Aid Concert of 1985 as it gave many of the bands and artists that appeared for free a chance to sell records and cash in later. It is nice, however to see Kate Bush back in the charts with ‘Running Up That Hill’ which was played at the ceremony although she did not appear in person.

17. Well he was better than Russell Brand. That closing ceremony was embarassing.

18. Don’t see what all the fuss is about, they obviously OK’d him doing this song otherwise he wouldn’t have done it. He nearly died last year, unless you’ve been there I don’t think you can appreciate the joy at surviving, I can and I think he had every right to song a song celebrating being alive, so what if it’s new? SO??

1. Spanner1960 16 Aug 2012, 3:26pm

What’s his health got to do with being grossly opportunistic and money-grabbing?

19. *sing a song

20. Suddenly Last Bummer 16 Aug 2012, 10:07am

I have no probs with George flogging a new single when given the opportunity, he still has more to say and loads more talent than the newer identikit performers who took to the stage- Jessie J for starters.. I’m glad to see George back.

21. It was wildly inappropriate for George to mime his terrible new song at the Olympics.

It was the Olympics closing ceremony. He should have sung one of his MANY classics rather than using it as an opporunity for self-promotion.

Wasn’t he the ONLY artist to sing new material?

1. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:22pm

As usual… How is that relevant…?

22. I was personally more bothered by the ‘return’ of the Spice Girls, but that’s mainly because I’m utterly uninterested in George. I mentally tuned out when he was on. He’s just background noise to me.

And there should have been a wider range of British music on display – Judas Priest or Iron Maiden over Spice Girls. And some small, local bands should have been included as well, to show that British music isn’t just the Big Names.

1. Spanner1960 17 Aug 2012, 8:42am

There is only so much time – even the major acts mostly only had the one track to perform, and its about demonstrating how bloody good this country is at music and our past history. Much that I recognise heavy metal bands are part of that, I’m not sure how well they would have gone down. Personally I would have liked to have seen Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones, but that was always unlikely. Putting on no-names would be a complete passion killer, not the right time or place.

23. It’s not that the promotion of a new single bothered me, it was that it was a bloody terrible song. Simples!

24. Andrew Brettell 16 Aug 2012, 2:04pm

At least George is gay. There was almost no acknowdgement of the LGBT community, its contribution to society and it’s ongoing struggle for true equality in these so called “inclusive” and “equal” games.
    They want us assimilated and homogenised. Not seen and not heard.
    With the big problem of homophobia in sport Lord Coe and his cronies had an excellent opportunity to show LGBT people “out and proud”.
    They chose not to do it. And people worry about which song George sang!

1. Spanner1960 16 Aug 2012, 3:24pm

Oh get over yourself.
      True equality wouldn’t even recognise us. We are just people.
      It is only prats like you that demand equality, yet expect to be stand up and be counted.
      You can’t have it both ways, sunshine.

25. Ben Foster 16 Aug 2012, 2:20pm

Well, technically, PROMOTING a song would be telling people where to download/buy it, having the website scrolling along below the screen etc. All he was doing was SINGING/lip-synching a song. I’m not a fan and I don’t dislike him either. I think the f**** was well deserved to the professional critic types who should just get off everyone’s backs and let us decide for ourselves what music to like or dislike.

26. Spanner1960 16 Aug 2012, 3:23pm

“It was my one chance on TV to thank you all for your loyalty and prayers, and I took it.”

It was also your one chance to plug your new single, George.
    I think it is YOU who should fck off.

27. Considering this event was to close the Olympics, where medalists come and go, new and old…I see nothing wrong with George Michael’s performance or choice of songs to entertain the world with. ” I’m Alive” has a great message, after his experiences last year he feels alive, as I am sure all the medal recipients do too !!! We are all critics and entitled to our opinion, and I respect George’s choice in selections. He speaks what alot of us feel and think, perhaps thats why it bothers some so much, that we (they) too, feel similarly at times.
    Keep up the great work George!

28. Staircase2 16 Aug 2012, 4:21pm

Too bloody right, George!

Westlife’s MD has a problem with YOUR song choices? Lol that’s a bit rich!

29. Good on you George I just loved seeing you back on form. Those who criticised your choice of song have a got a right to be wrong. I loved your performance as did all of my friends.

30. Love George greatly – hated the song choice and on this occasion I think he made a crass mistake

31. He should have done the cottaging song, now that’s what i call a british institution.

32. OutMaturity 17 Aug 2012, 2:38pm

Well the producers of the show must have seen value or a “message” in the song, so they let him use it. I am sure they knew what they were doing, or what point they wanted to make!

Good job GM for getting out there and entertaining us! At 49 he proves that being more “mature” doesn’t mean you are any less relevant!

Good job! : )

33. on the night, i didn’t really care that he lip-synched to a new song. I tuned out for most of it. His excuse however is crass and twattish and shows that he really misses the point. The time and place for his to thank HIS fans for THEIR support and prayers is when he is addressing them – such as at a GM gig or on his twitter feed or wherever. This was not HIS audience and most people in the stadium and moreso watching on TV are indifferent towards him and his music.

I was perturbed by the selection of music for the concert, nothing from the British bands which created the heavy metal scene, nothing from any of the big British crooners (eg Tom Jones, and has Englebert Humperdink got over the humiliation of Eurovision?) .

Other artists stuck to singing their hits (which was kind of the point) and GM was the ONLY one not to do so. He literally has no valid excuse.