Gay rights activists organise Chick-fil-A kiss-ins

1. Almost wish I was in the US to take part.

I bet Chick Fil A had no idea of the battle they chose to enter

Hope its every Friday night at every branch!

1. de Villiers 2 Aug 2012, 5:22pm

I would take part if I were single. I hope it goes well.

2. Ignored and reported to both Met Police and PN

1. Email has now gone to Met Police and PN – await your further blocking and additional evidence being added to your criminal case.

Will not respond to any more of your evil and demented ravings.

2. Just ignore the moron Stu. Obviously on day release from whatever institutution decided he needed locked up and obviously couldn’t wait to get back on PN to interact with you again.

He’ll be gone again before long

2. Part of me thinks the dimwitted rednecks who wallop down this junk food should just be allowed to poison themselves and do us all a service – surely there are more important targets for activism?

1. True.

However, they have created the publicity stunts – they should have their inhumane attitude exposed.

3. This isn’t really related to the story, but am I the only one who thinks the Billy Graham advertisement is a slap in the face and that it shouldn’t be on this site, given Billy Graham’s position on LGBT rights?

1. Not noticed it …

2. It’s robo-advertising I reckon.

Billy Graham has not purchased ad space.

What happens is that there are so many stories about religious cults on this website that some computer programme probably thinks its a religious website and the adverts then appear automatically, as the computer programme deems cult adverts of interests to the readers of this site.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 2 Aug 2012, 4:49pm

I really don’t see just exactly what a kiss-in is going to do. The fact that those establishments promote unhealthy food should be the message gay activists could get behind. A ‘christian’ based business promoting bad health through junk food, there’s some irony in that. A Kiss-in will probably enable more homophobia and promote sales if anything.

1. de Villiers 2 Aug 2012, 5:24pm

It is public and democratic display of the promotion of the equality.

1. So long as the protestors don’t buy anything.

If they do then they are merely increasing the junk food chain’s profits and thereby funding their own oppression.

2. I agree with de Villiers it is a public and legitimate display of promoting equality.

Chick-fil-A try to deny equality and actively seek to harm LGBT people by their decisions – making it the ideal arena to make a strong and visible media friendly stand that confronts the indignity that the organisation seek to cause LGBT people.

5. Doesn’t entering a privately owned business mean you have to buy something to be allowed to stay inside?

Good luck with the protest but these protesters should not purchase anything,

1. I thought the protest was immediately outside.

6. Why big companies fail to see the value of the “Pink $” I’ll never know. Your money and my money is just as good any one else’s ! This should not even be a case of morality.If I were a business owner I would hate for my company to be in the middle of such a thing.

7. I think it’s clearly a publicity stunt. I mean I had never even heard of the place before all the fuss started!

1. Apparently the company tried to distance itself from all this nonsense, knowing that 1 days increased profits from hideous bigots using this situation for their own pseudo religious ends does not a long term viable business make.

Particularly when they discovered that they are now affiliated with hate groups such as NOM, FRC 1 million Moms, Sarah Palin and just about every other odious religious nutter that infects the US.

Given that this smallish chain of “dead chicken in a bun” floggers have just went up against the likes of Google, Amazon, IBM, KFC, McDonald’s, Microsoft and numerous other large organisations and countries, I think there days will be numbered.

I would NOT want to be a shareholder in that company.

8. The heterosexuals will just do the same back more than likely. It always tit for tat. It’s a Christian based company so they should know that their views will not be the same. Most LGBT people I know aren’t even religious. Like me I’m not religious so gay marriage doesn’t interest me in the slightest. However there will be some who do believe in God so it should only be fair that they can have a religious ceremony. I’m more than happy with a civil union or not I don’t care. I love my boyfriend and he loves me which is good enough for me. I’m not going to just marry before God because I can. I don’t even remember the owner saying anything malicious other than he doesn’t agree with it. That to me doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Like many others in the world there’s things I don’t agree with. We are all allowed our own opinions. It’s the others who attack and lash out that are the trouble makers and that includes the LGBT community. I doub’t that the world will ever be perfect.

1. ” I doub’t that the world will ever be perfect”

It never will be when religion is still poisoning it.

1. I agree, the root of all evil.

9. God forbid they should ever come to the UK

1. We can rest assured McDonalds will not get involved….I doubt

10. Ironic being homosexuals say they don’t force their sexuality on to others..

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 3 Aug 2012, 12:39am

I’ve had to spend a lifetime watching displays of heterosexual behaviour…now it’s your turn.

2. Poor Aiden, he thinks KISSING is SEX!

It must be a snooze being married to you!

Bwaaah!

11. I think now we are already crossing the line. Let the bigots live in their bigotry freely, this protest isn’t going to make us any good and is only going to provoke more hatred and intolerance on the homophobes.

1. Katie Kool-eyes 3 Aug 2012, 9:28am

…Or, we can say no, we’ve had our fill of being treated like second class citizens. LGBT rights need to be equal to heterosexual rights. For a company to do this is horrific. The people involved in the kiss-in are making a stand, if someone feels they are being provoked by this, the fault is with them, not the kiss-in participants.

2. So we should not stand up to bullies, in case they hurt us more?

There’s a term for that, honey. It’s called Moral Cowardice.

Chrissie
      x

12. Terrific

13. GingerlyColors 3 Aug 2012, 7:27am

If Chick-fil-A finds the kiss-in offensive then they can go kiss a duck!

14. I applaud the people taking part in this kiss in however, I think that we need to stop giving this awful company the free publicity that this whole thing is creating.

Good luck to all those taking part, I will be there in spirit!

15. I would love to see how the US senior courts tackled any attempt to criminalise freedom of expression of people kissing, particularly in the climate where the US is strongly moving towards acceptance of equal marriage etc.

1. Daniel258 3 Aug 2012, 9:13am

I agree.

Given that Freedom of Assembly (the individual right to come together and collectively express, promote, pursue and defend common interests) is guaranteed under the US Constitution, UN declaration on Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the American Convention on Human Rights (the latter three the USA are all signatories of); it seems highly likely that any provocative attempt to criminalise free association for peaceful protest by kissing would be constitutionally protected.

The guarantee in the first amendment to the constitution is:
      “… the right of the people peaceably to assemble”

16. Customers of Chick-fil-A shouldn’t eat there in peace at all.

17. Can someone direct me to the bible verse where Jesus says “And lo, thou shalt gorge thy fat @ss with greasy junk food so that thou may oppress others”.

I’m waiting to see if moderate christians will step up (if they even exist in the US) because this isn’t just a simple LGBT issue – this is the use of money to try and interfere with the law of the land, based on one person’s interpretation of dogma.

It is relevant to all those who feel their faith is degraded and denigrated by the agenda being set by the christaliban.

18. I hope the protest passes off peacefully as intended. Nothing gets a redneck so stirred up as the sight of same sex affection.

19. friday jones 4 Aug 2012, 12:00am

Whenever I want to scream in frustration, I make sure I have a microphone or musical instrument in my hand to capture the moment in song: