Comment: UK Black Pride – a moment of discovery

1. Garry Cassell 31 Jul 2012, 3:27pm

Really good story…brings a new fresh perspective….wish you a very happy Black Pride Day and a Happy Birthday(in advance) as well…on August 18..

2. Thank you for highlighting this issue Scott. As a descendent of indigenous Australians, not enough is done to highlight the non-white aspects of the LGBTI Community worldwide.

Have a great birthday – how amazing to have so many people celebrate it with you – wish I could be there!

3. David Waite 31 Jul 2012, 10:53pm

A wonderful story, beautifully told. Thank you, especially for highlighting the asylum and Borders issues.

4. Scott Roberts doesn’t look very black to me, Why doesn’t he write about his white heritage too or does it feel more trendy to pretend to be black?

1. Racism rears its ugly head…..

What is my ethnic background Joel?

1. Suddenly Last Bummer 1 Aug 2012, 2:26pm

spanner?

2. Omar Khalifa 1 Aug 2012, 9:50am

He doesn’t look very white to me, now whats your point?

3. You don’t look very clever to me. Why do you bother to open your mouth?

4. Joel, it’s probably because most other people would see Scott Roberts as black, just as they see Halle Berry, who is at least half white (her mother is from Liverpool I believe), and Thandie Newton as ‘black actresses’ and President Obama as the USA’s first ‘black president’.

The way mixed-race people are seen is, sadly, not necessarily a matter of personal choice.

5. Staircase2 2 Aug 2012, 1:32am

Outrageous and racist thing to write, Joel. I’ve reported you.
      Way too much of that bollocks on Pink News Comments Boards; we need a better system of moderation to deal with it.

In case it’s missed your limited attention: he’s writing about BLACK PRIDE…(do you see…?)

5. Staircase2 2 Aug 2012, 1:29am

Well said, Scott :o)

6. I am sure I will get thumbs down, but I am totally against Black Pride, Dyke March, and what is next Bear Bushes, Leather Walk. Sorry LGTP etc was to celebrate us as culture and now everyone wants their own day. Their would never ever be allowed to be a White Pride Day, it is just wrong and so is Black Pride. And as for all poor Joel thumbs down because he dare mention clearly the gentlemen also has white roots, you jump him and scream racist. He merely suggested something, Haley Barry thanked every black person who ever was in a movie when you won her Oscar, yet never mentioned her white mother who raised her. Gay Pride is about being Gay and Pride, if you want to be show pride in being black come to Caribana in Canada. It is the largest Caribbean Party in the world.

1. I don’t remember Halle Berry thanking every black person at the Oscars?! I recall she dedicated her Oscar to all the many actresses of colour. Her mother was in the audience smiling from ear to ear – she couldn’t have thought it was that bad.

1. Also, I’m black, but why would I want to go to a Caribbean party in Canada when I have no affiliation to the West Indies? After posting my comment, I was thinking what Halle Berry has to do with this story.

1. What Halle Berry has to do with my comment was based on all the hate towards Joel comment that he was clearly of mixed race, like Halle. However Hallie speech was that of a “black” women and when it came to thanking every black person in history who was in movies, yet not one white one, and not her white mother. Yes she was there, and not thanked. As for Black pride, be proud no were did I say not be or that I was or was not. What I said it is wrong to have a “specific colour of pride” White or Black, or Brown or where ever. You would lose your mind if someone started a White Pride” and rightly so. Gay Pride is just that, and you should not to bring you colour on ethnicity into it. You break us down as a culture. As for Canada and what is the largest “Black” party (seems that is now you see yourself first) come don’t come. We allow everyone, even the white ones who like us and don’t have hangups.

1. Halle Berry is and always has been referred to as a ‘black actress’ by everyone else, don’t you get it? Obama is always referred to as the first ‘black president’. If you thought about it for a moment, it may just occur to you that these descriptions are not what they’ve chosen themselves, but what they’ve been labelled BY OTHERS.

2. I don’t understand. On the one hand you say there shouldn’t be Black Pride and then you recommend a Caribbean party? Why should there be a Caribbean party, shouldn’t all parties celebrate all people, by your reasoning?

And incidentally, African black people are hardly likely to show pride in being black by going to a Caribbean party, are they?

1. Never said you should not have Black pride, there should not be a “Black Pride Day” within the Gay Pride system like having a Dyke March. Pride for our committee should and does include all these already. By breaking into small “colours” groups you diminish our culture as gay people. Would you ever allow a “White Pride”, I think not. Caribana is a party to celebrate the culture of the islands yes, and were did the first generations come from Africa. Stop being so uptight and perhaps one day people be people instead of a colour or who they sleep with.

1. You really don’t get it, do you? If white people were a minority that felt it was ignored, then there probably would be a “white pride”; it’s not up to you to decide that black people feel included in the “gay community” (whatever that is) since, all too clearly, that is not the case: try reading the article again, if you can.