Vietnam considers legal recognition for gay couples

1. GingerlyColors 29 Jul 2012, 9:37pm

Good news indeed from a country where not long ago the state-run media suggested that homosexuality was a social evil and even promised laws to criminalise and arrest gays but the youth wing of the Communist Party took a more liberal line. This consultation on whether or not to allow formal recognition of gay couples is the result of an attempted wedding between to gays which was stopped by the authorities. In 2010, a foreign gay couple, one Irish and the other, Japanese were apparantly married in Hanoi although neither Vietnam, Japan or Ireland currently recognise such unions. These events have raised the profile of gays in Vietnam which like China is still a single party Communist state but has embraced capitalism. Should Vietnam legalise Civil Unions or Marraige when it is debated at the National Assembly congress next spring it will become the first Asian and first Communist country to do so.

1. Dang, My Kim 4 Apr 2013, 3:06am

I am a gay Canadian citizen. I immigrated to Canada since 1984. I and my female partner are in the same sex relationship for over 30 years. We love each other passionately and promise to love each other forever in life. I went back Vietnam to reunion with her for 11 times, since year 2002 until present. I am very depress because I am unable to marry my same sex partner in Vietnam. There is no way that I may sponsor her to come and live with me in Canada. I can not go back to live in Vietnam for at least one year with my love now, because I have to take care for my 89 years old, sick elderly mother in Canada. It will be a great relief. It will be a wonderful happiness news that ever, will make our life more meaningful to live, live in a more honest to ourselve. It will be an excellent solution to my problem. With this kind of happiness, I and my same sex partner will live better, stronger and more successful in life. I hope Vietnam will recognize same sex marriage as legal.Thank you.

2. Dang, My Kim 4 Apr 2013, 3:06am

2. Vietnam is still Communist ? I thought only Burma was still Communist in the region.

1. Yeah, Vietnam is still communist, though by communist standards, the Vietnamese party is quite moderate. At the risk of pedantry, Burma (or Myanmar as we’re supposed to call it) is not technically communist and I don’t think it ever has been. The military dictatorship in Burma is left-wing with strong communist influences, but it is a separate party to the Burmese communist party (which is illegal).

3. Same sex marriage is also on the agenda in Thailand and Taiwan. It will be interesting to see which one gets there first.

4. Hodge Podge 30 Jul 2012, 12:10am

Very happy news. There’s a xenophobic part of me which assumes cultures I know nothing about will be homophobic. So it’s pretty heartwarming to see this.

5. Pavlos Prince of Greece 30 Jul 2012, 1:11am

I hope very much, that when Cardinal O`Brien has talking about ‘war’, he has in his mind just United Kingdom…

6. Wow! I’m pleasantly surprised that Vietnam is considering this move! Is the Human Rights/ Equality movement in Asia going to be lead by Vietnam? The other Asian countries that are possibly leading the way and considering legalizing same-sex marriage are Nepal, Taiwan and to a lesser agree Thailand.

1. sorry..I meant to say “lesser degree Thailand”.

7. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 30 Jul 2012, 6:30am

Uruguay, New Zealand, France, Finland, UK, Luxembourg, Vietnam, Brazil and Columbia on the path down to same sex marriage within the next 5 years.

Where is my country Australia?

Oh that’s right, the “Australian Christian Lobby” (or should I say the Australian bigoted and outdated Asshole Christian Taliban) are controlling and pepressing gay peoples lives the right to marry or civil union their partner and pulling the strings of Gillard and Abbott within Government!!!!!!!

In the Australian Parliament 3 gay marriage bills are just sitting there gathering dust – all because politicians on all sides are deeply very afraid of an election next year due in September 2013!!!!!!!!!

8. Gay activist Paul Mitchell 30 Jul 2012, 6:34am

China, North Korea, Cuba, Laos, Burma and Vietnam are all Communist countries!

1. Firstly, Burma/Myanmar is not a communist country. The communist party of Burma is currently illegal.

Secondly, what does communism have to do with the legalisation of marriage equality?

9. Bill (Scotland) 30 Jul 2012, 8:53am

Having lived in Vietnam for several years this is certainly surprising, but in some ways the Vietnamese are nothing if not pragmatic and adaptable, although the devil will definitely be in the detail.

10. We registered our CP at the British Embassy in Hanoi.The people of Vietnam are wonderful, and the staff at the Embassy couldn’t have been nicer.
    Fingers crossed that Vietnam becomes the first ASIAN member to legalise same sex marriage.It’s time gay rights in Asia moved forward. We live in Thailand and there’s no sign of it happening here soon!

11. Great news, it is about time Asia stepped up in regard to GLTBI rights! I don’t think they realise the HUGE economic benefits for introducing progressive legislation.There will be enormous economic benefits and if Thailand introduces same-sex relationship recognition , there will be a flood of couples wanting to live there, especially from Australia, the bogan of all nations!

12. Sorry, but is it just ME that’s ASHAMED that all of these countries cam vote for gay marriage, yet a ‘modern’ progressive nation like the UK seems to have such difficulties with it?

It’s a scandal.

13. (I live in Cambodia by the way)

14. This is a great news. Finally another Asian country is making progress in LGBT rights. Go, Vietnam!

15. The movement has been gaining strength around the world. The wave increases in strength and resolve and keeps building. It is something of a phenomena really and I think ruling governments see they need to embrace it, accept it, legalize it and promote peace and harmony or political agendas will be plugged for years to come with it !!

16. Rather unexpected (though very welcome) news, I must say. Communist regimes have tended to be quite homophobic, it’s very good to see Vietnam suddenly taking the lead in Asia in this way.

17. Dang, My Kim 4 Apr 2013, 3:11am