David Cameron warns Church of ‘repeating Tory mistakes’ with LGBT community

1. Peter Robertson 25 Jul 2012, 11:29am

It seems that the Scottish government has beaten the Prime Minister to it: “Scottish ministers confirmed they would bring forward a bill on the issue [equal marriage].”

2. Enough chatting about it now Dave…get your party in shape and all reading from the same page and bloody get on with it!!

1. Lynda Yilmaz 25 Jul 2012, 12:21pm

I had a chuckle about the ‘if it’s good enough for straight people like me.’He made sure he got that in just in case…..

3. “Prime Minister David Cameron has “gently” warned the Church of England not to repeat mistakes he said his party had made by alienating gay people in its opposition to marriage equality for gay couples.”

Frankly, that ship has more or less sailed.
    They had plenty of second chances to get it right but flinched at the last minute and wound up pandering to the homophobes.
    If they wanted to take gay rights seriously they should’ve stopped parroting the “Hate the sin, love the sinner” mantra and telling us that gay people are all fine as long as they remain celibate and that’s just for starters.

1. Sister Mary Clarence 25 Jul 2012, 11:48am

“Frankly, that ship has more or less sailed”

Beautifully put!

1. As far as I am concerned it sunk long ago.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 25 Jul 2012, 12:48pm

I think you mean sailed right over the edge of a 6000 year old flat earth :-)

4. Craig Denney 25 Jul 2012, 11:57am

If the next Queen speech in November has not got the legislation for equal marriage as part of it then hes hoodwinking us.

Anyway today GDP figures came out with a fall of 0.7% which is a huge fall and I believe Dave always new the coalition would of broken up before legislating for equal marriage rights by 2015.

1. Quite possibly, but as all parties support it, it should still go ahead

1. Yes Labour have already said they’d sort it if they got in if the present government haven’t already!

2. I find it odd that with GDP being so bad, the amount of 2012 registration plate BMWs, Audis, i being seeing driving around.

5. Honestly, as someone who is planning a civil partnership, I think they are BETTER THAN marriage. We have marriage 2.0, designed for equals, they have marriage 1.0, a sexist institution designed originally for buying women from their fathers. Sure we want to be “equal”, but what if straight marriage isn’t as good as what we have in the first place?

6. For once I agree with a religious nut, this Dr John is right, the CofE does not deserve to be listened to, ever.

7. I know there are many cynical people out there regarding David Cameron, but I welcome this statement for him and it’s the first time any politician has ‘warned’ the church, whether it be gently or not.

1. It’s what he does with that warning that truly counts.

8. Sorry if i sound like a raging queen, :(but i just dont trust David Cameron or Teresa May. I wonder if they would support LGBT rights if he weren’t in coalition with the progressive Liberal Democrats. ??

1. Yes, they would. It was in their manifesto before the election and the forming of the coalition.

1. Ok , through it was strange how the Tories have suddenly transformed. There voting record is quite shocking on gay rights.

1. Teresa May’s in particular. But i am truly sorry if im coming across harsh, just guess i keep thinking on the old saying that a leopard never changes its spots.

2. Im sorry if my first comment came across as offensive it wasn’t meant to sound like that so i am truly sorry. I should have worded my comment differently.

1. Staircase2 25 Jul 2012, 4:20pm

I completely get where you’re coming from Charlie. And I think you have every right to question their motives given the abysmal way the Conservatives have historically treated LGBT people.

(I’m sorry – I accidentally voted down and reported your last comment – typing and navigating on iOS isn’t all its cracked to be as yet!)

As I said in my comment further down: I do believe Cameron is sincere im this regard though – which means there’s hope for the Tories yet…(and, more importantly, for Parliament…)

2. Its ok about voting down my comment, i wish i had worded it differently now or removed my comment.

3. But isn’t that what this article is all about, Cameron commenting on past Tory mistakes?!

3. But that’s what this article and Cameron’s comment is all about, past Tory mistakes

1. Ooops done it twice! Sorry *blushes*

4. Don’t worry, Charlie. Personally, I think I understand your scepticism, though I have to say I find it rather touching that there are people who still believe that the Liberal Democrats (no, stop laughing you lot!) have even the vaguest, faintest ghost of an influence on Tory thinking, or anyone else’s for that matter, in this ‘coalition’. Sweet.

2. Hey Charlie, While I understand your cynicism, their record is irrelevant, what matters is what they’re doing now. I hear a lot of cynicism like this and I wonder what would make people happier – that he retracted and became anti-gay?? For me this is a huge leap forward and should be celebrated. People can change their minds, people do learn and progess and well done David for doing so. If, for some reason, equal marriage is repealed by the tories with DC’s support, then I’ll agree you were right. However, I’m optimistic and believe this is going to happen.

1. I guess your right i just wondered if he really does support marriage equality. But i guess he does and the fact that he says that there will be equal marriage by 2015 says there’s proof. (i guess i was more annoyed at the Tories other polices and that’s why i was suspicious.) Il admit i was probobly wrong.

1. Il be honest why i was critizising the Tories as i just took it into my head they were trying to gain sympathy and votes from Lib Dem voters. I realize im probobly wrong. :(

3. And when i said raging queen i meant (myself in a rage.) So i am really sorry if i have offended anyone.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 25 Jul 2012, 1:16pm

Thank you, PM, well said and long overdue. Now that Scotland is moving ahead, it’s not going to do those Tory backbenchers much good by opposing it. The ship has indeed sailed as of today and it’s not coming back. That said, I only hope the HoL don’t stab us in the back after the law is passed in Parliament.

10. Peter & Michael 25 Jul 2012, 2:09pm

Too right ! now get on with legalising Same-Sex Marriage in England, Dave !

11. beautifully said by Mr Cameron.

It doesn’t look like there will be an issue in the House of Commons if the C4em website is anything to go by – I do think the problem will be with the Lords where religious figures have seats.

12. Staircase2 25 Jul 2012, 4:13pm

I must say this is one area I’m very pleased with what Cameron has to say.
    Now if he could just apply the same consciousness to every other area of Tory thinking they might just be able to lose the ‘nasty party’ tag…

13. Pavlos Prince of Greece 25 Jul 2012, 4:17pm

I fear, church will repeat the mistake. Its the most popular way of learning, unfortunately.

1. Paddyswurds 25 Jul 2012, 5:43pm

Who cares really. The whole religion thing has for all intents and purposes, had its day. It is now as relevant as the wrapping from last weeks fish supper…….

14. By the way when i said i hope i dont sound like raging queen i meant ( i hope i “myself” dont sound like someone in a rage.) So i am really sorry if i have offended anyone that was not my intention.

15. It’s all very lovely what you say David, but WHY do we have to wait until 2015 for this? If it’s something your government or other governments REALLY wants you move it through quicker than I can blink! Example Poll Tax, Afganistan, and so forth!

This on the other hand is to help you and your government look better and so it’s not moving as quick!

You want respect, then get it moving and in place before then!!!

16. Keith Farrell 26 Jul 2012, 10:54am

I was just thinking. So I have a new argument for gay marriage that should totally work!

So since the bible clearly states that divorce isnt permitted other than death ,adultery, or your spouse is a non believer in God, and that even with that, if you remarry after being married once you are considered to be living in Sin, no matter how much you pray.

And Christians make all kinds of excuses to excuse it and say God forgives… WELL……
    If they just give in and let gays get married….. then if their marriage ends in divorce they can blame us for it. They can be like… well our marriage didn’t work cause of those pesky Gays!!! Then… Jesus will HAVE to forgive them and give them “immunity” cause us damn homosexuals caused their downfall!!!! See… it all makes sense!