Brighton: Green councillor ‘accountable to God’ in equal marriage vote

1. Why am I not surprised. Any time I see the word ‘god’ on here (I refuse to capitalise that), it’s always some bloody idiot who decides “nope! Gay people cannot have the same rights as me, because some dude wrote two sentences 2000 years ago that they were bad.”

1. No, don’t capitalise it. We all know she means the god of infanticide, but that gives it too much respect.

I agree, they don’t use logical arguments, because there aren’t any. They always fall back onto this infantile safety net. She probably feels all righteous as well.

2. If they want to believe in fairies and old stories, it is their choice (and their right). But it is different when their choices affect the lives of thousands of people that have to live as second class citizens, bullied, pushed to commit suicide or killed. I’m sorry, but that is not just between them and their god.

1. katie MUrphy - ex cath 26 Jul 2012, 7:32am

BE careful – she’s a wolf in sheeps clothing. Right wing jesus freaks will join liberal churches or parties to change them.

its like a cancer spreading from one organ to anohter and anther .
        Happening here in the USA American baptists split from the southern baptist extremist racist some years ago so they could ordain women
        They also support marriage equality / gays in general

the southern baptist are now infiltrating them.

3. Do people on this site realise there are Gay people out there who believe in GOD!! I am one of them. I find comments tarring everyone with the same brush totally unacceptable

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 2:01pm

Well, Michael, this woman is tarring all of us with her beliefs that tell her that equal marriage isn’t acceptable for gay couples, imposing a religious belief and hoping it will translate into maintaining the ban on marriage equality. People like her have to expect some blowback, please or offend. We’re offended by people of her ilk but we don’t call for a ban on her right to freedom of religion while many religious nutters believe that they should be able to dictate to other gay friendly religions that they should not be allowed to marry us. She and many people like her do not speak for the majority of the British public or for the Quakers, Unitarians, Liberal Judaism and some in the Anglican hierarchy. Arrogance of the worst kind, hardly a christian virtue.

1. I totally agree with all you said. My point was that there are those of us out there that basically have our beliefs who are Gay too. It is hard to reconcile the 2 but I have come to realise that the Church is all about money and the Bible is fundamentally flawed as it was written by man and God himself said man is flawed. That does not mean I do not believe in God just that I think those who ‘preach’ for him have seriously lost their way. Nobody in their right mind can condone what this woman and those like her have said. It is basically incitement to hatred.

1. You make a very good point, Michael, there is a difference between religious belief and those people who use religion for their own ends – which is sadly most of the major religions.

As I said in another comment, I was brought up as Catholic but had to chose between my religion & sexuality because for me they weren’t compatible.

I’d now describe myself as athiest and I’ve no doubt that it was the sheer hatred of the Catholic church towards gay people which pushed me down that path.

2. de Villiers 24 Jul 2012, 2:12pm

Robert – that is no answer to Michael. And contrary to your post, many on this board have said openly that religion should be abolished, that Catholics should be expelled from England and that worship should be criminalised.

3. It seems that at least 12 people on this site refuse to believe there are those of us out there that actually do believe in God. Oh well proved my point really.

4. BennieM I am really sorry to hear that. This happens far too often. People should not be forced to be something they are not. The Church should not force people to chose between religion and sexuality. It is not for the Church to judge. God is who we will be answerable to and I doubt he will turn us away because we loved another person of the same sex. This is where Church doctrine has got it wrong but I know Christians out there who are good people and who do a lot for the Gay Community. A pity the rest of them won’t follow. There are Gay Christian Groups out there who do not go to Church because of the hatred spewed by those who profess to be Christian. Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu being a point in case.

1. Michael, you are right about there being gay-friendly Christian demoninations which tend to get overlooked and tarred with the same brush as the bigger demoninations such as Catholic, and Churches of England & Scotland.

I find it strange that I never turned out homophobic being raised as Catholic and neither did the majority of Catholics I know (family & friends etc) so I get really angry when I hear the Catholic Church being so homophobic and treating opposition to gay equality as being such an important part of Christianity when it isn’t at all.

I’m now athiest so probably wouldn’t go back if the Catholic Church changed it’s views, but there must be so many people for whom this is a real problem.

4. de Villiers 24 Jul 2012, 2:11pm

> Any time I see the word ‘god’ on here (I refuse to capitalise that), it’s always some bloody idiot who decides “nope!

What about the recent stories about:
      – Canon Jeffrey John and his video for out4marriage;
      – the Jewish groups promoting gay equality rights in schools and the corresponding donation from the Jewish philanthropist Alex Greenbaum;
      – the Australian bishop trying to outlaw the gay-panic defence;
      – the American Episcopalian Church who appointed a gay bishop;
      – the liberal Jewish and Christian groups and the Quakers calling for gay marriage in religious buildings;
      – Desmond Tutu and his comment about god wanting all gay people to be treated equally?

There are some who interpret religion negatively and restrictively. There are others who interpret it more generously and expansively.

1. dAVID@hotmail.com 24 Jul 2012, 2:38pm

‘God’ remains a fictional character though.

2. The trouble with most of your examples is that they are exceptions rather than the rule. Jeffrey John’s view aren’t shared by the church he serves, for example.

While it’s great when religions & religious people speak out in support of gay equality, theycare few and far between.

I was raised a Catholic and in my early 20’s I tried to be both gay & Catholic but found the 2 to bd incompatible for me. I had to make a choice and chose my sexuality. I realise other people may be happy practising a religion which considers them to be 2nd class citizens at best., but I just couldn’t do it.

1. I’m absolutely with BennieM here. It’s always a massive (and controversial) deal when someone ‘god-fearing’ comes out and says “hey, gay people aren’t bad after all”.

When they hate on us? It’s expected. It doesn’t even make the news in most places.

3. In any case religion by its very nature is ridiculous as it claims that a fictional character created the world in 6 days, which is of course complete and utter rubbish.

Even the ‘good’ examples you list are delusional in their beliefs.

Religion is a cancer on society and has no redeeming features.

1. de Villiers 25 Jul 2012, 8:59am

David, I find that hard to believe. The requiems, the beautiful religious sculptures now on display at the V&A in London, the art, the impressive architecture, the belief in charity, community – these must be some redeeming features.

The nature of creation is also not to be taken too literally. Do not overlook the dualistic story of creation in Genesis – two contradictory accounts of creation next to each other, representing dual elements of man (as I posted on the Chick-Fil-A discussion).

The concept of creation ex nihilo comes from 150AD – as from Clement of Alexandria. It had an uncertain development and was a fundamental change to previous understanding. It was not the view of Aristotle that god summoned the earth.

The main debate on this took place in 320AD which argued that creation ex nihilo showed an incompatibility between Being and creatures from nothing- there being no relationship between things which are nothing and one who renders things which are nothing into being.

2. She is accountable to the electorate, something that she will do well to remember next time that there are elections when I suspect that she will lose her seat!

1. Deffo. Shes had it.In Brighton at least.

1. Absolutely. She has betrayed her party and the voters who put her in office. Her political career is over, thankfully.

1. Mister Fister 24 Jul 2012, 11:15pm

Well said Bennie M.

3. She needs to explain to her party WHY she believes God would not approve of a vote for equality. How literally is she taking the bible? Does she consider us to be sinners. I would imagine that she does. She must go. I hope God finds her another job. Daft cow.

1. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:09am

its interesting that the symbol of religion are so important The symbol of christianity is a copy of an instrument of torture and death

ten thousand were crucified when the Romans long ago built a Road from Rome to the south so they could travel to Sicily

pour encourage les autres.

If jesus had been put in an electric chair, they’d wear a mini version of that death instrument.

2. Well I hope that she is fluent in greek and read the original then she would know the word used was “arsenovich” – which nobody knows what it means because its not a real word! There are beliefs that its based on pedastry that existed in greece, if you look at it in context all of the gays that were condemned in the bible were RAPISTS. says it all really

4. because she did not think “disagreeing with same-sex marriage is disagreeing with equality at all”.

*speechless*

1. So am I. I must have missed that first time through. Sooo… I dunno. If I said I didn’t see a problem with black people having to sit at the back of the bus, that’s not racist. They’re still -on- the bus, so there’s no problem at all, right? Better yet, give them their own buses. They still get to the same places in the end right?

Argh! Mark smash!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jul 2012, 10:38am

Doesn’t the buybul also say that women should stfu and not be heard….. Does she think it is right that women should have the vote ’cause her “holy ” book says they shouldn’t.

1. I think it also states that you are not supposed to wear unnatural fibers or something like that and I am sure she has more than one garment that is not cotton!

2. It’s a real face palm comment!

5. when they thrown in the word family it makes me mad, as to say that gays cannot have families

1. I could not agree more. It is simply not a valid excuse and enrages me more than anything else.

2. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:11am

In the USA the family groups like AFA, FRC, FRI, and many others with the word family – are all on the hate group list.

The str8s are however solving the marriage problem for the gays. They are divorcing at a 50% rate and similar numbers of str8 families are not married at all, just live together.

I think this is where the comments come from about getting the gov out of the marriage biz.

6. Boundry change time.

1. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:12am

Correction – b!tch change time.

2. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:12am

word for female dog – change time………..

7. Oh here we go, that ‘three letter word’ again that seems to have the magical quality of being able to validate someone’s inherent and vile homophobia. SHAME ON YOU! Brighton: VOTE wisely next time!!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jul 2012, 10:40am

Did the motion not carry without her vote?

1. Stuart Neyton 24 Jul 2012, 12:49pm

Yes, every other councillor (including every other Green) voted in favour.

2. I think Bryan was referring to the voters in Brighton whose votes put this old cow in office, rather than the council’s vote on equal marriage.

8. Alex Philips 24 Jul 2012, 10:07am

The Green Party must remove the whip from Councillor Summer, and deselect her as a candidate.

She is free to hold whatever views she likes personally, but she is not free to promote these views as a Green Party representative.

She was elected on a local Green Party manifesto that included support for same-sex marriage.

She has broken that manifesto pledge, and gone against the core values of the Green Party, and the reason many people voted for her.

If the Green Party do not remove her, then it will call into question just how commited they are to LGBT equality vs. electoral expediency.

9. invisible bogeymen have no place in politics!

10. “I’m accountable to God” That’s what the 9/11 guys would have thought as well Cllr. Summers.

1. Well said.

2. Using God as a reason to slap, hit, cause bloodshed or lost of life (to frame a few evil acts by a man/woman) has been the same since the days of the first shaman placing themselves above all humans as being the only authority…
      Any ideas for creating a council of other voices is still today very frightening to those humans that want to be the final law-makers by their on vision and all other dissents are always considered wrong (regardless of the harmful damages caused)…
      “Wars are made of this”; to oppose being controlled.
      To limit the mayhem of physical pains/loss depends on the voices that scream the loudest.

3. Why compare 9/11 with marriage? The two are NOT the same, that is a sick thing to do.

What about the secular invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan? I’m sure we wouldn’t be called terrorists by the accidental killing of civilians, though I’m not sure the families of those killed would agree.

So accountable to who? Your secularist society and your moral views.

4. Sister Mary Clarence 24 Jul 2012, 8:59pm

“‘accountable to God above any political party’”

Indeed she may well be. That being the case, I’m sure they are stoking the fires of hell for her.

5. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:13am

you can bet their last words / thoughts were Allah Ahkbar – god is great.

11. Stupid person – its worrying someone like her is free to walk the streets> What happens when a gay person she represents goes to see her about a issue ask she ask God.

12. The Councillor is accountable to her electorate and her party first, not God . . .

13. She really should have abstained in that case because she has no way of knowing what her God thinks.

14. DJ Sheepiesheep 24 Jul 2012, 10:32am

No one is asking for the right to marry in her church, just the universal right to marry. And that’s what she seeks to deny based on her deep seated delusions, or as she would put it, beliefs. Never thought we’d have Green Party fascists.

15. Things could get even worse if Pippa Bartolotti gets elected as the next leader of the Green Party.

1. Stuart Neyton 24 Jul 2012, 12:34pm

What makes you say that? Has Pippa said anywhere that she supports Cllr Summers’s vote? You can’t just say something like that without justifying it.

16. Grow up for goodness sake and start thinking like an adult.

1. If only these people would instead of relying on some outdated dogma! I wouldn’t mind so much but Jesus hung around with 12 men and was friends with a prostitute!

17. Honestly I think I respect her for adhering to the tenets of her interpretation of her faith, however in her line of work she has to accept that an abstention would have been more appropriate.

She is free to believe as she wants but not to impose that on those of us who don’t share her beliefs.

18. Appalling – the Green Party should deselect her – it is just not acceptable that she shares the BNP view on equal marriage and yet purports to be a Green Party councillor.

19. “Sorry my invisible despot friend’s a homophobe, so who am I to argue”.
    If god wants to shape public policy he might want to show up in person once or twice in a millennia.
    Otherwise his credibility tends to go down the pan.

20. David Nottingham 24 Jul 2012, 11:24am

No, no, no, Ms Summers. You were elected to your local council with a Green Party mandate. If you cannot support that party’s stance on issues then you should resign and consider your career in politics. Oh, and another thing, here we have another selective choice of scripture to support a position of hatred. May I remind you of St Matthew 22:21, St Mark 12:17 and St Luke 20:25…? “Render unto caesar what is caesar’s and to God what is God’s”

21. People (presumably) voted for her for her green ideals – were they aware of her religious affiliations too, did she spell that out at the elections?

22. Craig Denney 24 Jul 2012, 11:38am

This action by her comes from the recent decision at the General Synod that Christens should be more pro-active in the community and she has a history of pro-activeness, previously she participated in a “prayer session” outside an abortion clinic and the Green Party ignored her doing that as-well.

She hasn’t even been suspended from the Party, I guess they will let any nutter join.

1. I knew there was a good reason why I don’t support the Green party…

1. de Villiers 24 Jul 2012, 2:14pm

What – one minor counsellor turns you away from the whole Green party?

23. Where I live, she would get zero votes. First, gord doesn’t have photo ID so would get turned away, even if she wanted to vote for her. Second, she wouldn’t be allowed to vote as she is clearly mentally deranged. Finally, her cats wouldn’t be allowed at the polling booth!
    Yet another reason to have only atheists run for elected office. “Vote for me, I’ll listen to you!”

24. Basically, she’s in the ‘marriage is all and only about the right mix of genitals’ camp, the rest is just window-dressing. Bringing the gods (take your pick) and whatnots into it is neither here nor there!

25. Another party off the vote list.

26. burningworm 24 Jul 2012, 11:48am

Good on her. I thought that type of literal book reading was exclusively American. A religious zealot who states it as it is (as simply and as mindless as it usually is) is much more preferable than the partisans who side with us but would much rather us play within the realms of normality than branch out and reshape society.

I don’t care about marriage. I support those who want it. This wasted energy!

27. Religious faith is a mental illness, but she can be treated.

1. katie MUrphy - ex cath 25 Jul 2012, 7:15am

its an OCD

28. That There Other David 24 Jul 2012, 11:56am

The worst argument ever against equality. All she has to justify her “accountable to god” reason is a book written, edited and translated by men (note Ms. Summers, MEN, not women) with an agenda.

I’m glad she’s come out and said this though. The people of her council ward deserve a representative that can think in terms beyond what they were told as a child. It appears that Ms. Summers doesn’t quite cut the mustard on this front.

Which is a shame. It always fills me with sadness when someone is so blind they cannot follow a faith without falling prey to its dogma.

29. Thus entering the records as a dumb beast who bases decisions not on the best interests of the people but on the assumed wishes of some fictional bronze age boogeyman. Imbecile. Unfit for office. WE are real. Sky daddy is not.

30. Craig Denney 24 Jul 2012, 12:06pm

Looks like she is ready for War!

1. That There Other David 24 Jul 2012, 12:22pm

Reading the comments from that church of hers says it all. If it walks like a cult, and talks like a cult….

Looks like the Green Party’s dominance in Brighton politics is the only reason she’s joined that particular group.

Oh well, she’s made the mistake of raising her head above the parapet. All will now come out into the open. She’ll be gone at the next election I reckon.

2. Great Link Craig Denney, she’s been totally sprung!

31. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 12:17pm

If she puts her religious beliefs above everything, then she shouldn’t be in politics. Her duty is to the people she represents, not some fictional deity of which there is no overwhelming proof of its existence. Stupid bint!

1. Paddyswurds 24 Jul 2012, 12:23pm

No proof, overwhelming or otherwise…..

32. Robert (Kettering) 24 Jul 2012, 12:27pm

As we don’t live in a Theocracy, like Iran, I think Ms Summer will find she’s accountable to her electorate as she will doubtless discover when it comes to her next election and she’s booted out of office! Bigotted woman!!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 1:19pm

Technically, ours is a theocracy. We have a state religion, a monarch who heads it and an unelected body of clerics sitting in the House of Lords the majority of whom will get to vote against our rights, they are part of government unfortunately.

1. de Villiers 24 Jul 2012, 2:16pm

i thought that they were of the legislature rather than the government?

1. You’re right, de Villiers, the Lords Spiritual aren’t in government. They are still in a position to vote for or against legislation, however, and only get a place in the Lords because of their positions in the Church of England and not on merit. Not that all the other Lords are necessarily there on merit either, but it doesn’t make it right that we have a religious element to our political system like this.

2. de Villiers 24 Jul 2012, 3:45pm

Yes – it is strange to have a religion as part of the state.

1. Going off the topic of religion slightly, it’s also strange to have an unelected upper chamber, full of retired MPs, pals of Prime Ministers and millionaires who have bought their peerage.

It’s clear the Lords does needs reformed, whether that means an elected chamber or abolishing it or whatever.

33. Paddyswurds 24 Jul 2012, 12:31pm

I think she is on her last term as a Councillor in Brighton and Hove, if the demographic of that area has any sense. Hope you enjoyed your time as a bigoted councillor Ms Summers. The upside is it will give you more time to play with guns and to judge your fellow man…..

34. Robert (Kettering) 24 Jul 2012, 12:32pm

Can I add, and to take her outdated and bigotted beliefs to their logical conclusion, I must conclude that Ms. Summers is also in favour of the stoning of adulterers, circumcision for ALL males, wearing clothes from one piece of cloth, not eating pork, shellfish and the whole hotch pot of things mentioned in the Bible. You cannot pick and mix your religous beliefs.

35. I’d encourage everyone who’s on Twitter to message her at

Please also made complaints to The Green Party, and request that she is immediately suspended.

Ms Summers is perfectly entitled to her opinion, but absolutely not entitled to dictate her xtian beliefs to her constituents, who clearly voted for Green Party policy.

1. Stuart Neyton 24 Jul 2012, 12:53pm

there are plenty of us within the party already demanding that.

1. Then please act quickly and decisively, Brighton Green Party credibility is a stake, especially as it’s obvious from further reading that she should never have been selected as a candidate in the first place.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 1:23pm

She wil play the victim card once she starts to read the numerous complaints coming her way and she’ll get plenty of vocal support from the hatemongers at C4M/CI and the Anglican hierarchy.

36. Jock S. Trap 24 Jul 2012, 12:52pm

What a sad person, yet another. What a fool they look too…

The problem with the one man/one woman argument is it means people have children out of duty not because they want to but because they feel they have to. I’d much rather couples had children because they wanted to, giving that child the love they deserve.

37. And I hope the cost will be adequate for your irresponsible decision.

38. Stuart Neyton 24 Jul 2012, 1:04pm

The Green Party doesn’t have a whip, so doesn’t discipline its elected members for voting with their conscience on any issue.

I don’t think that’s an acceptable excuse though. She signed a pre-election equality pledge, which explicitly mentioned sexual orientation. By voting against equal marriage she’s done nothing less than LIE to the electorate. There has to be some accountability. Greens don’t get elected by accident, but by the sheer hard work of hundreds of activists knocking on doors, delivering newsletters, calling voters etc.

As far as i’m concerned harassing vulnerable women at abortion clinics is even more serious than voting to enshrine discrimination in law. She has to go.

1. Surely there is a mechanism for bringing the party into disrepute or acting inhumanely?

39. Politician must govern and rule for every single person in the land. If their religious views don’t allow them to do that, then they should not be in politics at all. Religion is something private and personal and should not be imposed on anyone. If she feels as she feels, then it is her right, but she can’t impose those beliefs on others.

1. I agree completely. There’s a homophobic minister in the Scottish Government, Roseanna Cunningham, who won’t carry out the duties she is responsible for if it involves gay equality as she is a Catholic. She was supposed to handle the equal marriage consultation & possible legislation as it fell under her department of Community Safety & Legal Affairs, but she refused to do so.

40. This is where the Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Menonites and the Amish show up the selectivism of Christians like her, who want to be part of secular government but at the same time do not like it when the secular principles test their own “moral” standards. The aforementioned groups realise there is bound to be a clash and they have the decency to abstain from trying to force people to their point of view which cannot be based on a rational viewpoint but on divine diktat for justification. She should not have been allowed into the Green Party in the first place, let alone to represent it. Having someone of her persuasions is like having Richard Dawkins as a viable candidate for the Archbishop of Canterbury- it is insupportable that she can dodge one of the fundamental principles of the Green agenda – the absolute equality of all human beings.

41. She’s a midden.

42. Actually no, you’re NOT accountable to your god. You’re accountable to your constituents who elected you and put faith in you to represent THEIR interests. Until your god shows up on the voting rolls within your constituency he/she/it should have no more say in your voting than the Easter Bunny.

43. Why is she a member of the green party (super left wing) when her beliefs are really right wing? Perhaps she should switch parties.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 3:05pm

Indeed,she’d be at home in the Tory party where she really belongs. The backbenchers will welcome her with open arms.

1. nah I think she will be more at home with UKIP

2. That There Other David 24 Jul 2012, 3:26pm

My guess it’s because her cult leaders want someone on the council for their own purposes. She has therefore infiltrated the Green Party in order to secure them a nice safe seat. It’ll be interesting to see what funding and community decisions she’s been involved in since getting elected.

44. what a nutter! there goes any chance of me ever voting Green.

1. Then that leaves nobody else to vote for! All political parties have their nutcases, it’s how they deal with them that’s important. It’s the Greens first real test with this sort of thing, the other parties have had plenty of practice!

1. The Green Party’s refusal to deal with this neo-fascist religious extremist should give us all cause to wonder whether or not the Green Party can be supported.

1. dAVID

What do you mean refusal to deal with this?

Do you have any evidence they have refused to deal with it?

45. if her religious beliefs meant that she could not follow the feelingss of those who voted for her – then she should have resigned before the vote.

46. No doubt she has many good friends who just happen to be gay and no-one would ever think they were anything else but “normal”, just like everyone else, really………. some, no doubt, she has invited round for tea. I’m sure they’re very pleasant and polite too, and prefer teacups to mugs.
    Silly b-tch.

1. Graham hill 24 Jul 2012, 3:13pm

Brighton? anti gay vote? OOPS.. watching a politician ( of what ever colour ) going down in Flames is always Fun ;-)

47. Scrapper Duncan 24 Jul 2012, 3:09pm

The Brighton & Hove Green Party has commenced disciplinary proceedings against Councillor Christina Summers. Here’s my report from the meeting which made that decision:

48. Robert in North Kensington 24 Jul 2012, 3:28pm

Well she has a point.

One might disagree with giving people the right to marry a close relative.

Does this equate to ‘hating’ people that happen to want to marry siblings? Or is it denying ‘equality’ to them? No, course not.

49. Scrapper Duncan 24 Jul 2012, 3:30pm

http://m1n.me/dL – my report on Green councillors’ decision to call Councillor Christina Summers to a disciplinary panel

50. Another religious nut who believes in fairies flying around out there. Perhaps she will pray to God and answer to him next time a gay person is verbally abused, attacked or murdered. I feel sorry for children in schools who have teachers with the same bigotted attitude. Perhaps some church will give her a job flower arranging or polishing the pews.

51. Sent her an email (to christina.summers@brighton-hove.gov.uk)

Dear Ms Summers,

you are reported to have said “I’m accountable to God above any political party.”

As an elector, I feel that those we put into councils and parliament, are accountable to us, the people and God isn’t on the electoral roll, so you cannot represent “him”.

Sincerely,

1. Thanks. I wrote too.

2. Staircase2 24 Jul 2012, 7:28pm

@Dave
      That’s not entirely true, Dave – there’s absolutely no reason why someone shouldn’t represent their own ethical viewpoints (that’s just as much a part of the democratic process as everything else). The point is that she is claiming that this is what God wants as opposed to saying this is what SHE believes…

52. Good for her. Brave decision.

53. bobbleobble 24 Jul 2012, 5:15pm

She must immediately resign from the Green Party since surely being a member of a party that supports gay marriage she is tainted. How can she account to god for remaining in such a party?

Of course she won’t do that because then she’ll be an independent with no power or prestige and will almost certainly lose her next election without the Greens behind her. It seems her religious principles only stretch so far.

1. The Greens should ditch her at the earliest opportunity.

54. I wonder if she realises just how much stress and heartache marriage inequality causes for her transgender constituents. Will this come up in Brighton and Hove’s current Trans Scrutiny which she voted in favour of?

55. Staircase2 24 Jul 2012, 7:24pm

“I’m accountable to God above any political party”

…but that’s a reason to vote FOR it surely…

Like too many religious people, she is falling into the trap of thinking that God and religion are one and the same thing – which they completely are not…

Just because our religions may say one thing does not mean it’s automatically the will of God…

56. Christians should not BE in politics if they can’t separate their belief system from their job. This is true of other religious beliefs as well.

I don’t recall Jesus saying “Ye must be born again, and then go into politics to prepare the world for my return.”

1. No, but it does seem to be the evangelical extremist’s mantra.

57. Same old religion based bigotry. Same old lame attempts at justification. If she doesn’t think disagreeing with marriage equality then she’s either an idiot or a bigot. Let the people of Brighton reach their own conclusion there.

58. I wonder if the Green Party would be quite so tolerant of her prejudice if she opposed black people getting married?

I suspect not.

59. What a stupid person. She should be made to look up the word equality.

60. Frankly I am deeply disappointed by Ms Summers attitude. I was a member of the green party for years (only stopped because I couldn’t’ afford the membership).

I always felt they were above such attitudes. Not just but supportive of all people and their lifes paths, regardless.

IMO she is not a true green party member if she puts herself before those who have supported her all this time!

Religion has nothing to do with peoples human rights and dignity!

61. And I thought she was accountable to the people that elected her and what they thought her party stood for….

it seems now that anybody who wished to stand for election should make it clear whether they are standing for God and their religion or their party and for the people they represent…

We’ve been conned by her!

62. I had to laugh at this. I was at Northern Pride on Saturday and the Green Party had a stall with the slogan “Britain’s Most Gay Friendly Party”.

63. If questions are to be asked about this woman and her views, and they must. Surely the first question has to be, how did she get selected in the first place? I think the selection committee and its processes need a rapid overhaul.

64. If this woman feels that she must put her religious convictions before the voters who gave her the job she now holds, wouldn’t those convictions be better served by joining a religious organisation which actually agrees with them, rather than a party that supports same-sex marriage? Becoming a Green councillor is a funny way of expressing them.

By sitting firmly on the fence in its response to her comments, the Green Party is making a mockery of the idea that it is seriously committed to equality, as I just wrote in a complaint to them. It gives the impression that it is a confused, inexperienced party that isn’t willing to stand up for what it claims to believe. And I only became a Green Party supporter recently! Not any more, until this woman is deselected.

65. what about those of us that are unable to procreate? are we sinners ? some of us got married because wer were told the Lord would sort it as we were taught to beleive that being gay was a sin . However unfortunately the spermis dindt result in procreation. apprently they would have had this person Ie me shagged aroun at a younger agae apparently rather than staying celebate until amrriage.

66. Mike Homfray 25 Jul 2012, 9:55pm

How about she stands down and contests the seat again – after all, it is not unreasonable for green voters to assume that their candidates support party policy

67. MamaMario13 26 Jul 2012, 10:40am

This is so ironic, not only is she the only councillor against it, but she is from the Green Party! Green party is normally the most pro-gay party of all, at least here in NZ that is the case

68. NutjobsareeverywheretheUNtoo 26 Jul 2012, 3:05pm

She’s off her head!it’s apartheid pure n simple

69. I hope there is a heavy cost to this councillor. Firstly, the Green Party (locally and nationally) have a duty to demonstrate that they donot support the ignorant and selfish views that are drenched in hate and indoctrination that this councillor is expressing, secondly they need to remove her from the Green whip and ensure she does not stand for the Greens at future elections – in the event she continues to stand (whether as an independent or otherwise) hopefully the electorate will show her that civil law and democracy should not be dictated to by her religious convictions and that her hatred is unChristian.

70. Well God won’t be happy! There is absolutely no theological basis for this bunkum. Why on earth become a councillor for a party which has clearly stated for many years that it supports the principle of equality before the law. Freedom of Religion also mean Freedom from Religion.

71. I think she should be made to justify the theology of this.