Florida Family Association: Office Depot helping Lady Gaga ‘turn children gay’

1. Robert Gillespie 21 Jul 2012, 1:14pm

WTF how many Idiots are there in the US

1. Too many to count :( I live here!

2. FFA – a group of professional haters, sheltering within non-profit organisation tax rules (and drawing salaries) blowing the dog whistle for the ignorant and dim-witted to top up their donation pool.

In short – a grift.

And we all know that those who think people can be “turned” are those who do have a fluid sexuality and project their experiences onto everyone else. Let me be the first to welcome them to their brand new bisexuality, time to come out of the closet.

1. billyWingartenson 21 Jul 2012, 2:48pm

Welcome to the evangelists, who in the USA justified slavery as per the bible. etc

FFA is a part of the AFA, which is on the southern poverty law center hate group list

We have a term for these kind of people = Rednecks

If your not familiar with it, it comes from how their face and neck turns red when the discussion turns to any minority group that they hate.

I’ve got a better term for them – sometimes when a kid is born,the pressure causes a big mess from the neary opening. And the delivery team made a mistake on what they kept and what they trashed.,

3. Garry Cassell 21 Jul 2012, 1:22pm

Those who think people’s sexuality can be changed are just :”haters”… those mainly are right wing religious nuts who are so dim-witted they follow any deranged pastor…God knows there are thousands of them…ready to collect from the dim-witted..

1. Lynda Yilmaz 21 Jul 2012, 1:34pm

It all goes deeper than just hate I think Gary. The religious groups who believe homosexuality is a life choice HAVE to believe this. If they don’t, the mere fact of the existence of homosexuality strikes at the very heart of their belief in their manuals. For example. If homosexuality exists as a fact it must follow that ‘God’ created it. If ‘God’ created it why would he/she/it then ban it as ungodly? A paradox! Therefore they simply can’t allow themselves to believe it exists because basically it flies in the face of everything else they believe in and base their life upon. Which is why their various leaders keep coming up with ‘cures’ etc. It’s not because they actually want to ‘cure’ anybody, its because they want the followers to believe it’s curable therefore keeping up the status quo and stopping anyone wondering about the ‘truth’ of anything.

1. There are any number of other ’causes’ they need to fulfil in order to keep up their delusions, too.

Fundamentalism in any form has no room for the ‘other,’ onlytheir own orthodoxy is ‘right.; Therefore ANYTHING different is, by definition, ‘ungodly’ to them.

1. Lynda Yilmaz 22 Jul 2012, 9:11am

Absolutely. It’s a deeply fascinating subject actually. The first stage of reaching an ‘ideal’ would be to eliminate political religion; (that is to say, where people do their own thing and live and let live, this would alleviate the problems of discrimination towards people outside of their own cultural/religious groups. But what about the people trapped inside a culture or religion? Their lives must be even worse because who will speak for them? *shaking my head gloomily*

4. GulliverUK 21 Jul 2012, 1:30pm

In the UK Viking Direct is part of Office Depot, and I always buy from them. It’s good to know they are on the right side, I’m just worried if I’m buying other stuff from haters who are giving money to anti-gay groups. It’s a shame we don’t have a website listing all the good companies, and the bad ones.

1. Thanks, Gulliver, that’s good to know. I’ll check out Viking Direct the next time I need some stationery.

2. Someone needs to start one up I think! or write to the magazines and ask them to do it for us. gay Times just published a global map of where it’s okay to be gay etc. Needs to happen with companies we can boycott.

5. I shall be sending for a Viking Direct catalogue since they intend supporting LGBT young people.

I thank the Florida Family Association for publicising this matter to enable me to support businesses that act in a courageous and humane manner.

It also brought to my attention a new hate organisation (Florida Family Assoc themselves) who I shall endeavour to keep tabs on – who knows they may point me to other businesses which I would like to support.

1. DJ Sheepiesheep 21 Jul 2012, 8:06pm

From now on, I shall buy all of my Vikings from them. What splendid people!

6. Shows how much those people know about being gay. Quite sad really. They need educating.

1. Yeah, but education changes what they think. So it’s bad. Can’t fool those people . . . .

7. Lol @ “…will influence many teens to embrace homosexuality for their lifetime who may have otherwise worked through their crisis with straight results”

My goodness. I did go through a crisis in my teens – and I tried to work through it with the aim of “straight results”. The actual results were mental illness and self-loathing.

If this “family association” really want to help people, they should encourage teens to embrace who they are. Funnily enough I did eventually realise I was bisexual, and am soon to marry my long term girlfriend. But trying to surpress my same sex attractions nearly killed me. Hats off to Miss GaGa, a commendable lady. Shame about her awful music lol.

8. Jesus moran 21 Jul 2012, 2:12pm

Am almost 42 years old wich means I was turned or converted by Donna Summer , Barbra , Liza , and got my phd with madonna,lol!!!

1. jamestoronto 22 Jul 2012, 4:37am

I’m almost — well older than you by a couple of decades — so I have Lucy, Mrs. Cleaver and Jeannie to thank for turning me gay.

What a crock of sh—-. No one can be turned gay. Period. End of!!!

This verbal garbage coming out of the USA on an almost daily basis now is getting to be just stupid. Do these people have any brain cells at all?

1. No I think there must be something in the water in america, that makes people stupid.

1. floridahank 22 Jul 2012, 10:38pm

Book Exposes Flaws in Kinsey’s Research on Sex
      Media, intellectuals accepted reports as fact despite errors in his approach, writers say
      He was a zoologist, a specialist in the gall wasp and an atheist who supposedly turned a cold, scientific eye toward human sexuality to document and demystify it. But he soon turned sexual morality on its head because of his less-than-truthful approach.
      Susan Brinkmann, author of a new book titled “The Kinsey Corruption: An Exposé on the Most Influential ‘Scientist’ of Our Time.” The book is a compilation of a series of articles she wrote about Kinsey.
      Her work was based on that of Dr. Judith Reisman, a media specialist who has spent the last 20 years documenting Kinsey’s failures and the societal fallout that resulted from them.

A race of perverts?
      Kinsey’s books, “Sexual Behavior in the Human Male” (1948) and “Sexual Behavior in the Human Female” (1952), claim that human beings have sexual responses practically from birth and that what most people

1. floridahank 22 Jul 2012, 10:43pm

“proken comment continued”

what most people consider deviant behaviors — homosexuality, incest, rape, pedophilia and even bestiality — are normal. In fact, he claimed that 95 percent of men engaged in some sort of such behaviors.
        When but true scientists began to look at the work and question its validity. And they discovered serious problems, the first being the method of his sampling. One-third of his sample were prisoners arrested for various sexual crimes ranging from rape to pedophilia and young boys who had been sexually abused.
        Scientists have tried to duplicate Kinsey’s findings and failed. Perhaps his most famous statistic is that between 10 percent and 36 percent of men are homosexual. Subsequent studies have found the actual number to be between 1 percent and 3 percent. And some of the studies came from groups friendly to Kinsey, like the “pro-choice” Alan Guttmacher Institute.
        There’s an attitude that “The fact that there is still a credible defense for Kinsey has to do with people’s eternal desire for sexual bad behavior,” “There’s a desperate longing for liberation from sexual guilt,” Medved told OSV, “and that’s what the whole gay-marriage movement is about.”
        What Kinsey has said, is the belief that “if something is widespread enough, that makes it legitimate. The Judeo-Christian worldview is that it’s not just a widespread inclination to adulterous sex or gay sex – it’s universal.”
        “Does that make it right?” when asked. “Kinsey says yes” The Bible and God “says no”.
        I have no doubt who’s right. And it’s not Kinsey.

1. Why are you on a gay news website?

2. I tried to post a response to Florida Hank here but for some reason it would not post – my initial response is further down this thread!

1. I note Florida Hank has posted supposed evidence that questions Kinsey

Strange that this is authored by a woman who tried to sue Kinsey (unsuccessfully) and who believes in the treatment the N4zi party used against LGBT people. She also endorses the abhorrent view that gay people recruit people to become gay!

If this is the sort of “evidence” FloridaHank accepts as reasoned and reasonable – then it explains his bigotry.

9. yes I listen to one of her tunes and it turned me gay?

is there a song that turns you straight please?

1. Ben Foster 21 Jul 2012, 6:53pm

Johnny Cash’s A Boy Named Sue!

10. Robert in S. Kensington 21 Jul 2012, 3:39pm

And we have our own version in the UK, the Christian Institute, same mantra, same agenda. Imagine the outcry if we tried to get them branded as a hate group which is what they really are. All of those right wing tory zealots would be playing the victim card with support from the backbenchers.

1. I tried I contacted the charity commission and they got around my complaint because out of the articles they looked at they were just other people’s opinions and so won’t investigate.

I think I just got a sympathiser though.

11. I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and pass a better argument than this.

12. Suddenly Last Bummer 21 Jul 2012, 4:40pm

Nah its worse than that, she’s peddling second rate artistic ideas as if they were works of genius.

13. Omar Kuddus 21 Jul 2012, 4:54pm

The Florida Family Association, otherwise known as executive director David Caton and his computer, says it all, for that is what it is, a One-Man Outrage Machine.
    By giving media space and coverage to his statement [The one million dollar pledge from Office Depot to the Lady Gaga Born this Way Foundation will influence many teens to embrace homosexuality for their lifetime who may have otherwise worked through their crisis with straight results.’] he is but achieving his objective.
    Insignificant, unimportant and irrelevant organisations and companies like him thrive on publicity, and the LGBT community should start ignoring these insignificants, as though they spew hatred and bile, they achieve nothing and it is by publicizing their homophobia, that there message gets across to a wider audience.

1. While it’s true they get advertising, it also has a positive effect.

Imagine you are straight and don’t know which way to go on the issue on whether gays should have rights.

They see this total nonsense and Could push them in our direction. There has been a swing in our direction over the years and I put it down to these bigots spewing hate that is nonsense. Just thing if you are hearing two arguments and one is pure stupidity, it would push you in the other direction.

So I say, let’s thank them for helping normal people know that we are not something to be scared of and to come join us at the next pride event.

14. Lol @ “…will influence many teens to embrace homosexuality for their lifetime who may have otherwise worked through their crisis with straight results”

1. I had a lot of self-lothing and self-denial in my youth too. It took me until my mid-thirties to accept who I was.I witnessed bullying of an outed kid in my class, and I was told homosexual feelings were a “phase” and for what ever reason I stupidly clung on to that for 20 years.

I’ve now come through that “crisis” and realised that I should never have been aiming for “straight results” because for me “straight” results in lots of loneliness and sadness.

Earlier this year I finally “civil partnered” (because the registrar made damned sure we knew it was a legal contract, similar to a firm of accountants, and not a loving relationship) to the man I love. I’ve come a long way… society still needs a bit of catching up.

2. a brave post on a gay site!

3. it’s off topic, but: ALL music is “awful” to someone, somewhere.
      the real “shame” is that far too many people feel they have the competences necessary to make that value judgment, when they simply don’t.

1. Nah, it’s just awful lol. Only my opinion though, don’t get too worked up.

But in future I will remember to precede all such opinions with “in my opinion” disclaimer.

1. actually, rather than encompass all and say something is “awful”, why can’t you just admit to the simple fact that it’s YOU who doesn’t like something? is an opinion required to always put something down? can’t it simply be a question of you not caring for it?

I don’t like jazz. I don’t say it’s awful. I say “I don’t like jazz”. it’s a matter of my taste, rather than some attempt at a statement regarding the actual qualities of something.

By the way, I don’t necessarily care for lady gaga either, but I don’t think it’s awful. It’s pop music. pure and simple. But then, I don’t care for most pop music. Except I don’t say it’s “awful”.

1. Yes, it’s me that doesn’t like it. It wasn’t statement of fact. It was an opinion. Chill out.

You’re entitled to challenge it. But calm down lol.

Me not liking Miss gaga’s music doesn’t do her any harm. I make music, if you thought it was awful I think I’d be able to sleep ok.

15. craig penrod 21 Jul 2012, 6:10pm

What they don’t understand is that those kids who they THINK choose to be straight, just inevitably end up with a failed marriage and likely kids. Thats a bigger fail than just being yourself from the beginning, before you hurt other people with your “choice” (i.e. lie).

16. The FFA are seriously stupid people. It is time they moved into the 21st century and read their Bible. Have a look at Psalm 100 as just one example that exposes your breathtaking ignorance . FFA you are wasting every ones time. We have been down this road many times in the past or perhaps you just cannot read. We are born gay. Got it, or not yet?

1. I would suggest its time they stopped reading their bible, not read more of it. The passage you quote is about gods love of his creations, but other passages suggest he’s pretty pissed off with the lot of us. I can’t fathom how a book with so many contradictions is taken so literally (or at least in part, given that people tend to pick and choose certain sections to support their arguements).

I think it’s silly to try to use the bible to fight arguments. It’s a book, nothing more. And using the bible as a basis for arguements only serves to glorify the bible as some sort of source “higher” guidance.

As a humanist, it saddens me than people look to this book for moral guidance (when deep inside us we know the difference between right and wrong).

2. floridahank 22 Jul 2012, 10:11pm

Regarding your reference to:Psl. 100 “Know ye that the Lord he is God. It is he that hath made us, an not ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.”
      So did God “make us” to be followeers of the 7 deadly sins such as: Pride – Envy – Gluttony -. Lust – Anger/Wrath – Greed ?
      You cannot take scripture out of context. You have to use the entire Bible to get truth.

1. Oh floridahank, please do not use hypocrisy when quoting Scripture and trying to claim others are cherry picking – that is something that is usually the domain of Christian fundamentalists who try and claim (by cherry picking) that the Bible condemns homosexuality.

Your faux affront at others “cherry picking” is shown up as hypocrisy by the cherry picking your allies (and I suspect you (from memory)) pretend to rely on.

2. If you rely on the entire Bible, Hank, you’d be campaigning for the reintroduction of slavery, making rapists marry their victims, killing insolent children, stoning non-virgin brides to death on their fathers’ doorsteps etc etc etc.

1. floridahank 23 Jul 2012, 9:37pm

Iris, I replied but it got posted under Stu’s comment further down about the Kinsey comment.
          Sometimes this site does strange things.

1. Ok, scrolling down now, Hank…

17. Spanner1960 21 Jul 2012, 9:11pm

I was a perfectly normal Christian heterosexual with a family until I started listening to Lady Gaga.

Now I am down Hampstead Heath every night, and rutting like a rabbit in Chariots.

It’s all her fault, I tell you!
    *wibble*

1. jamestoronto 22 Jul 2012, 4:44am

Hampstead Heath and Chariots — Don’t know the venues but it sounds to me like Lady Gaga “turned” you onto to a helluva fun time.

1. Spanner1960 22 Jul 2012, 2:46pm

It’s called “sarcastic irony” dear. Keep going, you might get the hang of it one day.

2. jamestoronto 22 Jul 2012, 4:44am

18. Keith Murphy 21 Jul 2012, 11:40pm

Pure stupidity

19. BigOldMonster 22 Jul 2012, 5:20am

Homophobia is Learned.Being gay is destiny .Nowhere in the bible does it say hate your neighbour if they are gay.Bible Says Love thy neighbour.

20. Heterosexuality is a CHOICE too.

If we don’t want it or want to accept it, we won’t.

So why in HELL is the gay community adopting, imitating, embracing “THE STRAIGHT LIFESTYLE”.

It is beyond me.

If anyone gave me any choice of lifestyle to choose. The straight one would NEVER be part of any vocabulary or idea of lifestyle. It sends a repulsive chill down my spine

1. “the straight lifestyle”??! Yes, that’d be just like the “female lifestyle” then. After all, we all know that women do EXACTLY the same things and are clones of each other. And of course, all straight people live their lives in exactly the same way and have exactly the same values, don’t they? NOT.

People are individuals and saying that members of the same group are all the same is stupid. Moreover, most people aren’t just members of one ‘group’ anyway – they can be male/black/straight/able-bodied etc etc. No one lifestyle is ‘owned’ by any group, and if two people, one straight and one gay, happen to share the same lifestyle or values, it doesn’t mean that one is copying the other.

For every value or lifetsyle that you label ‘gay’ I could point you to numerous examples of straight people who do the same thing or have the same values, and vice versa.

I detest the idea that all LGBT people have to be the same. We are a diverse group – and wonderful for being so.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Jul 2012, 12:30pm

Quite right, Iris! Let’s not forget, nobody chooses their sexual orientation either, it chooses US in the womb.

1. Indeed, Robert. I was so incensed by the rest of that comment, I neglected to mention that bit!

We are born with our orientation – another reason why it’s daft to say that anyone’s orientation could be changed by listening to Lady Gaga! Growing up, we’re all bombarded with straight images and models, but we still grow up LGBT. Not that logical points like that make any dent in fundie prejudice.

2. in my experience most people in our western culture have a pretty similar ‘lifestyle’ be they gay, straight, bi, black, white, yellow. their life involves work, leisure, sleep, food, if they’re lucky, love and companionship while they pursue those things. A ‘gay lifestyle’ is no differnt to anyone else’s lifestyle in the essential details.

We all put domestos in the loo and butter our toast on one side.

21. Nick Thiwerspoon 22 Jul 2012, 10:49am

In fact, these ChrisTaliban mouth-breathers are implying that they are happy to see bullying of gays in schools, aren’t they? Loathsome, despicable oafs.

22. I had a Postman Pat pencil case in Primary school, I wonder if that’s what turned me gay. That sexy blue uniform and cap! Yep, that must have been it!

1. You can joke, BennieM, but there actually are people who would believe that! :D All part of the cunning homosexual agenda, you see ;)

“SpongeBob – who appears on the children’s cable channel Nickelodeon – is seen as an icon for adult gay men in the US, apparently because he regularly holds hands with his sidekick Patrick. “

1. You have got to be bloody joking!!! Seriously??? These people need to get a grip! How much harm do these idiots cause with their crazy Ideas?

I’ve just bought my neice a Peppa Pig toy for her birthday. I hope it won’t corrupt her!!!

1. I’ve not read anything about Peppa Pig but I’m sure some fundie somewhere will be outraged by the character :D They can find gayness everywhere – and boy, do they spend a lot of time looking for it! :D Rather an obsession, I think!

1. I do seem to remember the Daily Mail complaining recently about Peppa Pig being a bad influence because she jumps in puddles and won’t eat her vegetables!

I’ve never watched it myself, but I’m sure it won’t do my niece any harm! I seem to remember similar arguments about Tom & Jerry, which I watched as a child, and I didn’t grow up into someone who goes around smacking people in the face with frying pans and the like!

2. at least the BBC are recognising that they are a right wing group and their views are ridiculous, better then the equal civil marriage coverage they have been doing.

1. didn’t Noddy get cancelled because he slept in the same bed as bed Big Ears? Then there was the whole “Tinky Winky is gay cuz he carries a handbag” pullarva…

23. “Unscientific, emotionally charged propaganda”…look who’s talking! These, after all, are the ones who steadfastly ignore all the science which shows that being gay is in no way a choice, not least the fact that there is a reliable test to see if a child is gay at the age of 5, and therefore the whole idea of “turning children gay” is utter nonsense.

Deliberately ignoring science so that they can use “God” to peddle hate and collect money from prejudiced simpletons…these people are utter, utter parasitic scum. They have the nerve to project themselves as somehow “moral” and yet they are disgusting. If “God” existed and he was good then these people would be going straight to Hell. And actually, they’re probably entirely aware of that, and don’t believe in God any more than I do, just like they don’t believe the unscientific idiocy they spout about us. Dishonesty and insincerity all the way.

1. “The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.”

I can’t remember who said that, but it’s very true.

24. I note Florida Hank has posted supposed evidence that questions Kinsey

If this is the sort of “evidence” FloridaHank accepts as reasoned and reasonable – then it explains a lot about him.

1. floridahank 23 Jul 2012, 9:22pm

Iris…nice to hear from you always.
      The way I read the Bible is that the OT rules applied to Israel as God tried to keep them in His protection. If you read
      on the people turned to all kinds of sin and God punished them severely. But when Jesus Christ arrived as was predicted we came into the Grace Age, and Jesus Christ and his apostles said that the principles and teachings of Jesus would apply not only to Jews but to Gentiles also.

So a totally set of principles and laws were given to all sinners — that whatever their sin was it could be “washed away” by accepting Jesus Christ and doing what He and the apostles would be preaching and teaching in this new age of grace. TThey were told to uphold the Ten Commandments and other new teachings but they did not have to confine themselves to the OT laws, which they could not follow anyway.

One has to be fully aware of what the NT teaches because now we have another way (a better way with Jesus, than was the old way of strict laws.

1. I understand what you’re saying there, Hank, but I know for a fact that other Christians with similar beliefs to yours have insisted that the OT law applies ASWELL AS the NT (and quoted something from the Bible to support that but I don’t remember what – something Jesus said). So clearly whether the OT should apply is a matter of opinion.

Taking on board what you think – that the OT law doesn’t apply – then you’re already ‘cherry-picking’ bits from the Bible to suit yourself. Personally, I don’t have a problem with that as I think it’s silly to totally base one’s morals and rules on some old writings from a very different time. However, once you start sifting through what applies and what doesn’t, you soon realise that there isn’t anything about homosexuality. (Don’t mention Paul to me because I think we’ve discussed him before & you may remember I consider his writings to be full of misogyny amongst other things.)

The 10 Commandments don’t mention homosexuality – & neither did Jesus

1. floridahank 25 Jul 2012, 8:17pm

Hey Iris. sorry it took so long to answer — my age must be slowing me down (81 in August), but I’m still biking to the ocean daily, going to the gym 3 times weekly, studying my Bible, studying/learning Spanish so I’m trying to stay ahead of Father Time.
          I do enjoy getting with you on this board. I know you know I am not a homophobe, I’m still delving into understanding homosexuality in mankind. Since bilogically/medically they’ve never found a “gene” or “marker” or whatever that distinguishes the different sexual people, I can’t categorically accept that homosexuality is an inborm, unchangeable “thing”, even though I’ve read all the anecdotal material and from psychiatrists, there’s not that 100% fact that’s acceptable by all experts in sexual development. I’m reading more things in neuroscience that seems to be the next possible lead to an answer, but until then the question goes on. ( I have my own personal observation but that will have to come at a different time.)
          Regarding

1. floridahank 25 Jul 2012, 8:24pm

Regarding the OT and NT difference, I don’t see any “cherry picking” aspect because there was a 400 yr span when God did no revelation to Israel until the appearance of Jesus Christ so as the Jews changed in all that time, God gave them “new laws” so to speak that now they were to follow God in person in Jesus Christ.
            I found this previously written answer to your question, which I see as reasonable for the distinction of the OT – NT question. Also, I cannot agree to overlook Paul’s writings because you disagee with him and marriage/women views –which I don’t see after reading ALL his writings.
            “One of the profound emphases of the New Testament, especially the epistles of Paul, is that Christians are no longer under the rule of the Mosaic law. This truth is stated in no uncertain terms and in various ways (see Rom. 6:14; 7:1-14; Gal. 3:10-13, 24-25; 4:21; 5:1, 13; 2 Cor. 3:7-18), but in spite of this, there have always been those who insist that the Mosaic Law, at least the Ten Commandments, are still in force for the Christian.
            By its very nature, the Mosaic Law was not to be, and could not be, obeyed to the letter by any other people in any other place as a rule of life. However, in the spirit of the Law it did set forth moral principles which were applicable and would bring blessing to all people anywhere and at any time when applied and used as a standard of right and wrong.
            The book of Hebrews demonstrates that the old covenant of the Mosaic Law was only temporary and has been replaced by the coming of Christ whose ministry is based on (1) a better priesthood, one after the order of Melchizedek which is superior to Aaron’s, and (2) a better covenant with better promises (see Heb. 7-10). The old covenant was only a shadow of heavenly things, and if it had been able to make men perfect before God there would have been no occasion for a second or new covenant (see Heb. 7:11-12; 8:1-13). This change in the priesthood also necessitates a change in the Law. Such a change shows the Law has been terminated or done away (such as eating shellfish).
            Thus, in 613 commands the Mosaic Law represented an ethical code given by God to Israel to govern the nation until the coming of Messiah, but at their heart, they represented the moral law of God—righteous principles vital to humanity.
            Today, we are not under this code, but many of its righteous principles, the eternal laws of God, have been carried over and are part of the law of the Spirit of life in Christ (Rom. 8:2) or the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:21; Gal. 6:2). In this, some of the former commands are carried over (Rom. 13:9), some new commands and guidelines are added (Eph. 4:11f; 1 Tim. 3:1f; 4:4), and some have been revised, as in the case of capitol punishment which is to be exercised by human government (Rom. 13:4).
            1. Christ is the end of the Law and believers are not under the Mosaic Law. New Testament believers are not under Law but under grace (Rom. 6:14).
            2. Since the Lord Jesus Christ fulfills the Law by His person and work, believers are under a new law; the obligation to walk by the Spirit of Life through faith (Rom. 8:2-4). If we are led by the Spirit, then we are not under the Law (Gal. 5:18).”

2. To me, anti-LGBT propaganda, be it biblicallly-based or just non-religious prejudice is nothing more than picking on a minority. Women suffered from that for a long time and still do in some areas, people of different skin colours suffered, and now both of those prejudices are not as acceptable, so people turn to one of the few minorities that they feel they can denigrate – LGBT people.

I hope that that prejudice is soon as unacceptable as those others are (or should be). LGBT people are no better nor any worse than anyone else.

(PS – I hope you’re keeping well, as much as we disagree. You must be heading for a milestone birthday pretty soon, yes?)

2. floridahank 23 Jul 2012, 9:34pm

Hey Stu….always nice to get involved with some topics.

In Reisman’s book , she summarized Kinsey’s “alleged basic findings”
      A few are: All orgasms are “outlets” and equal between husband and wife, boy and dog, man and boy,girl, or baby. –Early masturbation is critical for sexual, physical and emotional health. It can never be excessive or pathological. Human beings are naturally bi-sexual. Religious bigotry and prejuidices forces people into chastity, heterosexuality and monogamy. Children are sexual and potentially orgasmic from birth; are unharmed by incest, adult/child sex, and often benefit thereby. Homosexuals represent 10-30% of the population or more. I believe when you have a “scientist” putting out such findings, he should be questioned as to his type of controls and manner of study.
      Her book is not the only one questioning Kinsey’s methodology and “findings” so I also would not look to him for facts about sexuality.

25. It should be obvious by now that homophobia has its origins in ignorance. It is spread by ignorance, by repression, social conservatism and the alliance of church and state. It is self-evident that education leads to an understanding of the truth and that truth itself leads to freedom.
    The history of homophobia in western culture is instructive. It tells us how, when we make untested assumptions, we can easily be led into error that can be very destructive, as homophobia has been. It shows us that the path to liberation isn’t through religious indoctrination but through reason and logic.

26. Time to change the tune?
    Here’s a clip from 1977 Florida, 35 years later and just as uninformed and bigoted!

In Miami, gay men and lesbians formed the Coalition for Human Rights and the Miami Victory Campaign, which enlisted help from several out-of-state activists. A nationwide boycott or “gaycott” of Florida orange juice was organized, which received the support of many celebrities, including singers Barbra Streisand and Bette Midler, director John Waters, and actors Mary Tyler Moore and Jane Fonda. Gay bars in particular refused to stock Florida orange juice.

Bumper stickers proclaimed “A day without human rights is like a day without sunshine”; t-shirts read “Squeeze a Fruit for Anita”; the joke “We don’t want your children, Anita. We want your husband” circulated; buttons were sold showing “Anita Bryant Sucks Oranges”; a disco song entitled “Hurricane Anita” was used as a fund-raising tool; a company in Coconut Grove marketed an Anita Bryant dartboard.

27. hahah i think you gotta be pretty gay in the first place to listen to lady gaga

28. James Savik 21 Sep 2012, 6:54pm

I live in the South and can tell you that they are everywhere. I’ll attempt to explain their thinking.

Homosexuals are the minions of Satan. Gay people are possessed by demons. Christians can not deal with us on any level.

This is a little of what the hard core Christian conservatives think and teach. When you know what they are thinking, it’s surprising that there aren’t more murders.