14 openly gay and lesbian athletes to compete in London Olympics

1. They definitely missed some including a number of GB athletes

2. So, most of them are female. But you chose to show one of the (very few) men? Usual PN bias then……

1. Or have they just chosen the most famous?

1. Dan Filson 20 Jul 2012, 6:15pm

Or the cutest?

1. Yes, if you’re a gay man! :)

1. burningworm 24 Jul 2012, 12:51am

Pinkuse does trail behind when it comes to covering women. Unless of course they were born male.

3. Well, looking resolutely on the bright side, you could say the number of openly gay male athletes has doubled since the last Olympics …

1. They are missing quite a few in this report though

1. Hope Powell the manager of the GB womens football team is a lesbian and out…

2. Karen Bardsley (GB Football), Karen Carney (GB Football), Kelly Smith (GB Football), Fara Williams (GB Football), Rachel Williams (GB Football) …

There are rumours about many others including James Magnussen (Australia Swimming)

1. Magnussen! lol Here we go again like the Ian Thorpe saga. More like a few hundred thousand gay fantasies praying that Magnussen is! lol One of my friends , whenever a spoting ‘hero’ is mentioned says “Oh I bet he is gay” I say, “have another glass of wine, dear”

2. Gary, all your examples aren’t male – my original comment was about gay male athletes who are openly gay (not rumoured to be).

3. Not sure the female footballers are officially on record as being gay but surely Hope Powell deserves a mention as Team gb football manager.

4. It was late and I missed the word male and I do apologise.

As it is I support all LGBT athletes who are out (or not) and compete.

Its not just about eye candy ;-)

5. lindsey wright 5 Aug 2012, 7:56pm

Since when did these footballers come out coz last I knew Kelly smith was straight

4. You would think from this article it was easier to be a Lesbian in the Olympics than an openly Gay Man. Where have they all gone???

1. They haven’t gone anywhere, they’ve just not come out (or been allowed out) of the closet yet.

1. Is is really sad that in this day and age that Athletes and indeed those in public are still told they must hide who the are. What kind of message does this send to young LGBT people. It is good that there are so many that are out but from the stand point of Young Gay men who are known to be one of the highest risk groups for suicides do not have more out male Athletes to look up to.

1. burningworms 24 Jul 2012, 5:47pm

Just because someone wants to live a private life that doesn’t automatically make them a closet case.

If a hetero person doesn’t like to show affection in public that is deemed a personal choice. We do it, we get all of the negative connotations.

We will eventually look back on coming out as being retrograde. One other thing. Do hetero kids need to come out to their homo parents? To go a step futher, why does a gay kid need to come out to their gay parents, cause they do.

The problem isn’t the hetero world its us signing back up to live in another enclosure. A pen of sorts.

5. FUnny how most of them are from the same few countries!

1. Spanner1960 22 Jul 2012, 2:53pm

Not funny in the slightest.
      It’s not like you are going to get an Arab country with openly gay competitors, is it?

6. I may no Australian, but that will not stop me from supporting Matthew in the spirit of out and proud. I hope he wins big.

7. Wonder if there’ll be any bisexuals? Evidently they’re not on OutSport’s radar

1. Maybe they are not out.

8. Well I know someone on team GB women’s football who is openly gay but her name isn’t on here.

9. There’s a certain high-profile Team GB diver who I very much suspect should be on that list.

1. If you’re thinking of the same person as me, apparently he’s enjoying a “fledgling romance” with a female American diver – so maybe he’s straight (or bi)

10. Suddenly Last Bummer 20 Jul 2012, 11:58am

Oh wheres that little hunky twink of a diver? Whatshisface that Team GB are adamant appear as hetero as possible.

1. Dan Filson 20 Jul 2012, 6:18pm

Which he might be, despite happily flirting with all and sundry.

2. Spanner1960 22 Jul 2012, 2:54pm

Tom Welling? Phwoar, I hope so! ;)

1. Spanner1960 22 Jul 2012, 2:56pm

Sorry, I meant Tom Daley…

11. There are a lot more openly gay female footballers than are on that list. Also Hope Powell, Great Britain’s football manager is worth a mention.

12. Yes these are the ones who’re out…. 1% is out and the real number of gay people is probably closer to 10 – 16% . We really need to make athletes feel safe to be who they are and not hide it.

13. Outsports has increased the number of out sportsmen/women in London to 18, including British equestrian Carl Hester

14. Was this the year they eliminated softball from the olympics?

15. depends what you mean by ‘out’ i spose. many will be out to friends and family and perhaps do not feel the need to make a public declaration or maybe they havent been asked. I mean, there are 10,500 athletes or thereabouts; we probably know only a handful..

16. Dr. Charles 21 Jul 2012, 2:39am

I suggest that an organizing effort be made at this year’s Olympic Games to bring ALL athletes together for an anti-homophobic international standard.

Archbishop Tutu, who just said “anti-gay is this time’s apartheid,” should be asked to become the “World Face” on such an effort.

17. Wait, that’s IT?! How sad is that! Also clearly half the women footballers in the US and UK team are gay. I don’t even think they’re closeted about it either.

18. Read the new article about how grindr crashed as the athletes entered the Olympic village.. of-course there are more who are not out

19. If the story about the Grindr crash is anything to judge by, there are a great deal of LGBT people who appear to be linked to the Olympics (whether as athletes, officials, support teams, media or visitors).

20. burningworm 24 Jul 2012, 12:40am

I understand the purpose and history of the closet. I know what the phrase(s) ‘coming out’ & ‘openly gay’ mean. If a gay person doesn’t want to show affection in public they are ashamed. If we don’t declare our sexual preference to the world, we are a closet case.

This constant retelling of who is out bears no relation to any person outside of the supposed spotlight. We are none the less visible to the bigots that walk the street.

I’m not cheering on the gays at the olympics. I’m not even cheering on my national team. There is something else to cheer for!

Why come out, to be boxed back in?

21. damnedfilth 27 Jul 2012, 11:50am

You have forgotten our own Carl Hester, the dressage rider. Tut tut.

22. David Skinner 30 Jul 2012, 5:06pm

Out of 12000 athletes who took part in the Bejiing Olympic games, only two homosexuals and eight lesbians identified themselves? If Alfred Kinsey’s figure of 10% was correct, where were the missing 1,190 gay athletes? Or in the name of Equality should 1,190 gay athletes have been found to replace the straight ones, simply to satisfy the Equality quota.

23. It’s good that there are more LGBT athletes in this year’s Olympics, but isn’t it also a shame that we need to highlight them? I fear the “Jock in the locker room” thing of abusing gay teammates prevents many LGBT athletes from being true to themselves and coming out.