John Barrowman ‘has a problem’ with Cardinal Keith O’Brien

1. Back of the line John. There’s a queue

1. A very long queue …

But nice to have him joining us!

2. My only objection is that he said it to the SUN. Like that filthy rag gives a damn about gay rights.

1. Given how much I know the Sun he probably said it somewhere else and the Sun pinched it!!! I’m always seeing stuff said by John there that I’ve seen elsewhere. And given he’s not back in the UK until later today, he’s been in the USA for a week, I think he’s hardly likely to have spoken to one of their reporters.

1. He’s not due back at all as far as I know. He’s supposed to be relaxing in Palm Springs before heading off to a gig in Toronto. I agree, I dont think this is something he said recently.

2. Ben Foster 18 Jul 2012, 5:19pm

Good point, Mickie. I slightly suspected as much. I wouldn’t mind betting he did n’t even say it recently. It’s just a rehash of old stuff.

1. HELLO Ben *waves* fancy seeing you here!!! :-)

And yes BethF he wasn’t due back for 5 weeks, thought it turned out not to be a holiday after all as he started work on ‘Arrow’ and only ended up with one week off! lol

2. Ooops my mistake…I thought you were someone else Ben! lol But hello anyway! :)

3. And who care what John says? He’s a hetero-normative loving queen. I don’t see him out fighting for gay rights. No, John would rather pine to the little old dears who think he’d make the “perfect husband” for anyone woman and how much of a “shame” it is that he is gay. Hop on John, NO ONE CARES.

1. I’ve tried for 20 years to hate Mr Barrowman – and every time I try – he does some small thing which makes me realise – he ok. His profile allows him to reach a broad audience – Like it or not when a public – well liked – figure speaks out against bigotry and pure unjustifiable hatred – it gives those who need to evolve a person they can relate to and one they have a positive opinion of – believe me it helps – much as it pains me to admit.

I’m assuming you are registered blind to say – ”I don’t see him out fighting for gay rights” – given this outspoken comment is in support of gay rights – deerrr!

1. Ben Foster 18 Jul 2012, 4:55pm

Doesn’t fight for gay rights? Since when? He raises money for AIDS foundations, he took part in that campaign just last week to highlight the criminalisation of gays in some countries. He also supports the Dogs Trust and the terminally ill children’s hospice down the road from his house, because there are things he cares about outside the gay community, too.

1. well said

2. Well said.

3. Spanner1960 19 Jul 2012, 2:16am

What is with this “hetero-normative” bullsh|t?
      Most LGBT people want equality, and believe it or not, most LGBT people *are* exactly the same, except who they happen to sleep with.

Stop trying to make out we are something special – we are not – all most of us want is to be treated the same. Trust politically-correct prats like you to come up with some pseud description.

4. How the heck is HE to blame for how other people percieve him?

Spanner’s comment sums up my own thoughts about the ‘hetero-normative’ bit.

5. You might not care, Darren

Whilst some of JB’s comments have (in the past) been those I would not agree with and exasperated me – I have to say that these comments are worthwhile and supportive, and to frank I am quite happy for him to support equality. I don’t just want equality for people I like – I want it for everyone!

As for perceptions and froth – heh Darren, thats your perception and your judgement – some of us are looking beyond that and to the bigger picture.

1. Ben Foster 20 Jul 2012, 7:25pm

I think a lot of his comments in the past were a bit naive and perhaps not fully thought out. I think he’s got his act together now.

6. Ben Foster 20 Jul 2012, 7:32pm

Something else that occured to me. Whatever you feel about John Barrowman, he TALKS to his mostly straight female fans on his Twitter page, at hisconcerts, public appearances etc., and in so doing they come to understand the realities of gay life in a way that O’Brien and his cronies will never understand. That’s a whole bunch of people who can turn to their MPs and urge them to vote for equalitry. It’s a bunch of people who can teach their kids to respect gay rights and spread the word that we are a part of this diverse society and we’re here to stay.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jul 2012, 3:51pm

I was once opposed to Barrowman’s views on marriage, but like a lot of uninformed bigots (not that he is one), a few evolve and so too has he. I’d rather have him for it than against and good that he’s spoken out against the bile coming from O’Brien.

1. He wasn’t ecer against marriage, he just said it wasn’t for him at the time because of his veiws of religion and religions general view of us! So no he wasn’t against at all!

5. Lauren Goodrum 18 Jul 2012, 4:31pm

I’m all for gays and I never ever had a problem with them having a proper wedding to celebrate the fact they love each other so much and want to spend the rest of their lives with each other.

6. wollenmillie 18 Jul 2012, 4:47pm

It’s very diplomatic of John to withhold judgment on Christianity itself (and that paedophile haven the Roman Catholic Church).

I won’t.

As a student of Theology in the 90′s I discovered – to my chagrin at the time – that Christianity is really just a tissue of half-truths and whole lies founded upon the Christian Apostles’ deluded expectation of the imminent, violent, apocalyptic arrival of the Kingdom of God (in the 1st century CE).

Of course it failed to arrive as predicted. The apostles were just plain wrong.

If they were wrong about the very CORE of their message – what ELSE were they wrong about?

Religious Myths of course are never completely devoid of wisdom & inspiration. even a clock that has stopped is right twice a day.

But it makes about as much sense to screw your own (or anyone else’s) life up for Jesus as it does for Zeus, Poseidon or Persephone!

7. Join the club John, your welcome!

I would not even wipe my 4rse with the Sun.

1. Barrowman was once opposed to equality – that’s what opposition to equal marriage means. But everyone who sees the light is a welcome convert. One days almost everyone will see equality as normal.

1. What Mr Barrowman said was that he was opposed to calling the union of two homosexuals, marriage because that term was used by Christians who condemned homosexuality.

He said something along the lines of “why would I want to participate in something sponsored by people who hate me?”

2. He wasn’t opposed to equility, he has always welcomed it. He just didn’t think that calling a civil partnership a marriage was needed as you gt rights anyway. However he now like many of us belive in gay marriage. But he has always been a promoter of equility

8. Good for him for speaking out

9. That There Other David 18 Jul 2012, 5:07pm

Captain Jack said – “I’m not saying that all religious people are like O’Brien because I know great people who are Christian and know gay men and women are here for a purpose and are good people.”

And there’s a bigger truth. O’Brien doesn’t speak for the UK’s Christian population. He doesn’t even speak for the UK’s Catholic population.

He speaks for Darth Sidious down in Rome.

1. ……………….and Barrowman does not speak for all gay men. For him it is anything to get some publicity – no more mo less!!

10. O’Brien, like the rest of the Roman Catholic hierarchy, is a bigoted old man.

11. Cardinal O’Brien is the prime bigot in the United Kingdom

12. Barrowman is quite right. It is obviously the case that O’Brien is a bigoted, evil man.

13. John, welcome to the war, declared by O/Brian.

1. Ben Foster 20 Jul 2012, 7:27pm

That’s a VERY good point. O’Brien started this by sticking his nose where it wasn’t needed or wanted. He should expect people like John to respond.

14. It is right to describe O’Brien as a bigot. What he has said is evil.

15. Barrowman is right in what he says about O’Brien.

16. Barrowman is right in what he says about O’Brien.

17. Sonia Baptiste 18 Jul 2012, 8:40pm

i agree with him 100%. it is time that people realize that being gay is not a crime. loving another person whether it be the same sex or not is still love and they should have the right to share that connection with each other as they see fit. i support John Barrowman all the way

18. It’s good John Barrowman has spoken out like this and I’m really glad he seems to now be fully in favour of equal marriage when he seemed uncertain on it in the past.

I’m also glad he’s spoken out against Cardinal O’Bigot, but I disagree with hus decision not to criticise Catholics who go to church. We’re always being told they don’t agree with the church on gay rights, for example, but they carry on going to mass and say nothing to their priests or Bishops, so the church thinks the congregation agrees and it will never change it’s views.

1. Having read his bio once, I think his mum is a church-goer. I guess she’s his benchmark for what a ‘christian’ ought to be. I don’t think he was looking much further than that.

1. I wonder what her church thinks of gay people and if she ever challenges it’s views, if they are anti-gay.

1. JB’s parents are notorious for their unwavering support of their children in all things including John’s homosexuality. When he came out to them, they said, in effect, ‘tell us something we don’t know.’ When he introduces them onstage, he says, “Some people wonder why I am the way that I am. Here is the reason.” John’s parents are not exactly the shy, retiring sort and they make their views and pride abundantly clear to all. What I’m trying to say is that you can’t just say that “all churchgoers are wrong.” That’s just not on. Just like everywhere else, some are brilliant and awesome and some are a waste of space and air.

2. I read the bio ONCE. But I get the idea that his parents have ALWAYS supported him and have frequently walked away from clubs, churches, organisations or even personal friendships that proved anti-gay, so I think, yes they would have challenged and continue to challenge those views.

Whatever else about him, he seems to know how lucky he is to have a close, loving family who fully and completely accept him for who and what he is. So many gay people suffer the heartache of estrangement or else physical and mental abuse from the ones who are supposed to love then.

1. That’s good to know! I wasn’t so much having a go at John Barrowman or his family, but at church goers who don’t share their church’s views on gay rights but carry on attending church nontheless.

3. John’s parents are notorious for their unwavering support of their children in all things including John’s homosexuality. When he came out to them, they said, in effect, ‘tell us something we don’t know.’ When he introduces them onstage, he says, “Some people wonder why I am the way that I am. Here is the reason.” John’s parents are not exactly the shy, retiring sort and they make their views and pride abundantly clear to all. What I’m trying to say is that you can’t just say that “all churchgoers are wrong.” That’s just not on. Just like everywhere else, some are brilliant and awesome and some are a waste of space and air.

4. When his parents found out their weren’t shocked. They went to a friends, who also went to the same church, for dinner and they were being very homophobic. John’s mum and dad gave the a piece of their mind and walked out and never returned to that church again.

19. John shouldn’t take O’Brien too seriously, he’d probably find the cardinal an utterly charming in person. Scots law and the court of session will always prevail.

1. Somehow I doubt that. Charming doesn’t seem to be in the Cardinal’s vocabulary. And I hope you mean that Scots law will go AGAINST the blithering idiot.

2. Yes it will. The SG will bring in legislation to ensure equal marriage and fairness.

Oh and the Cardinal may be able to put on a front and appear a charming person face to face – it does not change his motivation and heart being about seeking a grotesque subversion of humanity. A bellicose of belligerence by a man who seeks to interfere with democracy is not an utterly charming person – if they put on that front, then they are a fraud.

1. Ben Foster 20 Jul 2012, 1:16pm

Exactly so. And I expect John would be able to see right through him if they ever did come face to face. He must have met enough purveyors of BS in his career to know one when he see one.

20. GingerlyColors 19 Jul 2012, 7:02am

Give me John Barrowman to Cardinal Keith O’Brien anyday. I am sure a lot of people would have a problem with an organisation that have treated children little better than those aliens in Torchwood called ‘The 456′ which tried to abduct 10% of the Earth’s children for their evil purposes and killed Mr. Barrowman’s on-screen boyfriend, Ianto Jones in the process.
    Devil = 666.
    Catholic Church = 456.
    John Barrowman is a brilliant all-round entertainer. Not only is he an actor he can sing and is a brilliant television presenter. It is a shame that he did not wish for his Civil Partnership with Scott Gill to be called a ‘marriage’ as he believed that marriages are a religious institution, incompatable with gay lifestyles. Do not be ashamed to upgrade your CP to full marriage status when it becomes law, Mr. Barrowman. No organisation, religious or otherwise have a monopoly on marriage.

1. According to his Twitter, he intends to do so as soon as Mr Gill actually proposes to him!!!

1. Sounds like a good idea to me. Will you be doing the honours in our house, sweetie?

2. Can’t John propose to Scott if he wants to?

1. Ben Foster 20 Jul 2012, 1:13pm

I expect they can propose to each other. They won’t be the only ones when the time comes.

2. I’m not sure it helps to mix the character he plays on TV with him in real life, but comparing the Church with the 456 is an intriguing idea. Although I think its probably more like the government in that story who were prepared to sacrifice the kids to save their own skins.,