US: Boy Scouts will keep ban on gay people

1. friday jones 17 Jul 2012, 11:42pm

In states with employment protections for LGBT people, I’m pretty sure a ban of gay staff is illegal.

1. it is (in some states). that has nothing to do with a private club whose members are not employees though.

2. Actually because they are a PRIVATE organization it is not illegal, just stupid. The only thing the state can do is not support them. For example Philadelphia no longer lets them use a major building for free; they are charged just like anyone else. If I remember correctly they moved somewhere else.

3. I’m confused. Does that mean that the Scouts, as a private organisation could, if they wanted, legally ban black people?
      This ban is deeply shameful and nasty, especially as it is defended by the “morally straight… clean in word and deed” guff in their rule book. This implies we are corrupted and dirty. That SHOULD not be allowed. I was in the Scouts. Had a great time. Should be open to everyone.

2. Then they are still homophobes

3. I liked the boy scouts when I was in it, just coming out of puberty, playing around in the tents on campouts with other guys. Yes, that’s when I realized I like I like guys. Thank you, boy scouts!

4. Christopher 18 Jul 2012, 2:36am

They ban gays. What are they doing about pedophiles?

1. Same as the Catholic Church is – laying the blame on the gays!

2. Paddyswurds 18 Jul 2012, 10:31am

That’s why they ban Gay people….we would get rid of the paedophiles with which the whole organisation is infested.

5. The idiots in the Dallas national office have ruined this organization for everyone. What a shame.

6. The LGBT Community should start its own Scout movement and it will be a success worldwide as we would welcome all people and not discriminate. Discrimination, if I understand it correctly, is against the Scouting movement charter.

1. Scout Leader Paul 18 Jul 2012, 7:31am

It doesn’t need to be a success worldwide, as in general Scouting outside the US is a very tolerable organisation. As an openly gay Scout Leader in the UK I have never faced any issue with fellow leaders, scouts or parents. Ok, the kids will take the p##s sometimes, but the 6ft 4 ginger guy gets more stick than me. Oh and I am involved in a small rural community, not some multi-cultural city.

7. Sometimes organisations behave as if there are no young LGBT so their feelings can be disregarded and that there will be non in the future.

The message this sends is that almost everyone is a sort of automata and that it’s ok to discriminate against those who aren’t.

1. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

8. Disappointing news from America, parts of which are fast becoming one of the most homophobic places in the western world.

I’d like to add that the UK Scout Association welcomes gay members and leaders, so please don’t think this discrimination affects all of the worldwide scout movement.

Jon
    (Proudly gay, proud to be a scout leader for 19 years)

9. “The group said it had spent two years reviewing the ban.”

Does anyone really believe that? What a bunch of BS. When you contrast this decision with how open and accepting the Girl Scouts are, the only conclusion you can come to is they are suffering from a bad case of homophobia.

10. This decision really does stink! The US is going even further backwards

11. An organization with so much influence over young people, yet there seems to be a lack of regulation against homophobia at a supreme court level?

Disgraceful.

12. And this from a country that has the nerve to attack and kill foreign citizens because it disagrees with their morality.

13. That There Other David 18 Jul 2012, 10:06am

I heard that some years back the BSA was basically taken over from the inside by the LDS. If true, then the continuing ban should be no surprise to anyone.

1. Paddyswurds 18 Jul 2012, 10:36am

Excuse my er… ignorance, but what exactly is LDS if you were writing home?

1. You would have been quicker googling “LDS” than the time it took to comment. LDS = church of the Latter Day Saints = the mormons.

2. The mormon link was looked at:

14. As a scout leader in England, it is depressing to see how homophobic the boy scouts of America is. I hope for the sake of their lgbt members they will short it out soon

1. That There Other David 18 Jul 2012, 11:41am

Unfortunately I think it’s too far gone. The BSA will become nothing more than the youth wing of evangelical churches. With luck something else will grow into the gap.

15. ““The vast majority of the parents of youth we serve value their right to address issues of same-sex orientation within their family, with spiritual advisers, and at the appropriate time and in the right setting. ”

So? I hardly think LGBT adults in the Scouts go round talking about their sexuality. The scouts themselves are more likely to become aware of LGBT people through the media or their daily lives. So I presume TV’s banned then, and mixing with any other members of society just in case they’re gay? Idiots.

16. Jock S. Trap 18 Jul 2012, 11:18am

There is No justification for this at all. It is shameful that people feel they need the right to discriminate. There are simply no ground to do so.

17. Land of the free…….to openly discriminate…..to fire people for being gay……to execute those on death row…and they comment on the human rights of developing countries. What a country!

18. NutjobsareeverywheretheUNtoo 18 Jul 2012, 12:09pm

What about the gay scouts girls boy who may realise they are gay and feel this service is against them I grew up in a world like this shame on you scouts if America !! You are damaging children who may be gay!! Shame shame shame

19. Jen Williams 18 Jul 2012, 12:44pm

This is wrong on so many levels – thank heavens our UK Scout Leader sees sense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4-N9k-Itog

20. so being gay is morally bent and dirty?

21. It’s not really sending a very positive message to the minority of boy scouts that might be find themselves coming to terms with being gay. And it’s such a shame that someone’s sexuality should determine how fit one is to becoming a volunteer, etc.