US store Target stocks cards for gay couples

1. Anyone want to take a bet on how soon “One Million Moms” will throw a hissy fit?

1. They are already supposedly boycotting Target over the T-shirts.

1. Jock S. Trap 16 Jul 2012, 9:14am

Let them.

At the end of the day it’s those companies that invite equality which will profit most. This is something business has cottoned on to.

1. Spanner1960 16 Jul 2012, 10:41am

Yes, unfortunately.
          That’s why card shops promote such crap as Valentines day, Mothers Day, Father’s Day, Dog’s Day, St Swithin’s Day, Pancake Day, No Smoking Day, etc etc. just to flog some tatty bit of cardboard with a crap sentiment for humongous amounts of money. I did send a “Good Riddance” card to Clinton’s when they went bust.

I’m all for equality, but does that mean we have to suffer all the sh|te that everyone else has to put up with as well?

1. That There Other David 16 Jul 2012, 12:20pm

LOL. You miserable sod :-D

2. Jock S. Trap 16 Jul 2012, 1:17pm

God Spanner you really are a miserable…. ain’t ya?

So you don’t like enjoying yourself, or indeed having a life. |Fortunately the are plenty of us that do love a fun life and sometimes of “tatty bits of cardboard”.

I keep all cards from those I love and thankfully they make me smile when I look at those from my late partner. I feel very sad that I will never get such things from him again.

You may not have feeling but sentiment goes a long way with a lot of us. Maybe when you loose someone dear to you you might…. no, you won’t will you!! That needs care and affection.

3. Heh. I’m sort of with you on this one Spanner (specially when it comes to the ludicrous levels of consumerism around Valentine’s Day), but I would say that – as with all other celebrations – we do after all have the choice not to buy the cards in the first place. Or one could design and send one’s own email graphics instead, as I do.

4. Spanner1960 16 Jul 2012, 6:37pm

I’m not miserable!
            I just get pissed off with people that exclaim |”Did you know it’s only two months and four days till my birthday!” as if it actually meant something. Then these card companies exploit these sad people and drop massive guilt trips on people for not sending some appalling bit of overpriced crap to people for the most banal of reasons.

My friends know I don’t do cards for anyone, and if I get them they only end up in the bin.

If you care about someone, tell them whenever you want, or buy them something nice; they will respect you far more than another piece of commercialised sh|te.

2. Good on Target, now let’s have some UK stores begin to stock same sex cards. My mother always has trouble trying to find suitable cards for me and my hubby when it comes to Xmas and our anniversary!

1. TESCO sell same sex relationship cards I have gotten cards from my boyfriend.

3. Jock S. Trap 16 Jul 2012, 9:12am

Well this is a good thing. Of course marriage equality will bring in the money for business so it makes sense that business be a part of it.

Plus if it means we get more support, who cares about the money making so long as we get the Rights!

4. They are a bit late on it, I know for a fact that stores, both chain stores and independant, have been stocking same sex cards for years. A relative of mine got married to her wife a few years ago and recieved various same sex cards wishing them well

1. Spanner1960 16 Jul 2012, 12:16pm

Yes, but this is America, dear.
      Innovation was never their strong point.

1. I don’t think its a lack of innovation but Bible Thumping Religious Fanatics who are the problem.

1. Spanner1960 16 Jul 2012, 6:39pm

Same difference. Why do you think it was Europe that discovered the “God” particle?

5. I agree that cards are just a load of commercial tat,and given the choice, wouldn’t buy them. Unfortunately, when most of ones family expect them and take it as a personal affront if they don’t get one. Also, my partner loves to get cards for just about everything and would throw a hissy if one wasn’t forthcoming. So, on balance, though I’d prefer not to buy them, it’s a small price to pay for a quiet life.