US: Three Atlanta men jailed for anti-gay attack

1. Sergio Viula 15 Jul 2012, 12:05am

Congrats, Atlanta! The State must immediately respond to criminal acts, principally against vulnerable groups as homosexuals.

Punishment as well as education (whatever the order) are the keys.

2. Garry Cassell 15 Jul 2012, 12:37am

Lock them up and throw away the keys…

3. 5 years for a crime where the victim was not seriously hurt, a tad harsh maybe?

1. David Waite 15 Jul 2012, 6:36am

Shane, they were facing a whole lot more time. Apparently, you stand with the local letter-signiing forgivers of these violent haters. After reading what the letter-signers tried to do, this is what I posted at GA Voice:
      ————————————————-
      “When the case got so much publicity and then the presumption that the gay and lesbian community wanted them to serve long prison sentences … that is entirely false,” Li said.

Where does this person and the co-signers get the twisted notion that THEY have any right to speak for the GLBT community? They certainly don’t speak for me. I want every attacker of my community to do every minute of all the sentencing the laws allow. I have witnessed or seen the aftermath of literally hundreds of homophobic attacks in the last 58 years. Now that perpetrators are finally being made to account for their violent hatred, the last thing our community needs is self-appointed rehabilitators getting in the way of justice.
      (more)

1. David Waite 15 Jul 2012, 6:40am

I stand with the victim, Brandon White. I fully agree with the judge; they’ve already had and disdained their chance to turn their lives around. If this letter-signing bunch want to rehabilitate these violent criminals they should begin by reaching out to them in prison. After the men complete their sentences, this bunch can then go before a judge with a plan to make sure they don’t re-offend, and offer to stand surety for compensation to future victims if their rehabilitation fails. That way, the letter signers can gain credibility and serve justice simultaneously. Right now, those signers have even less credibility with me than they had with the judge. I wouldn’t even have permitted them a forum in my court unless they could demonstrate that they have had prior experience rehabilitating violent, probation-despising felons in the past.
        ————————————————–
        Shane, all three of these men were already AWOL from their probations for violent crimes.

2. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2012, 10:09am

That’s the point… maybe it’s make others think. It’s called a deterrent, Shane.

3. “5 years for a crime where the victim was not seriously hurt, a tad harsh maybe?”

Let us beat the stuffing out of you because you’re straight and an idiot and see how you find the sentence then, eh?

Moron.

4. These guys get 5 years….but the dude who pushed Clementi to suicide gets 30 f***ing days???

It’s good that these guys are locked up but there’s still something wrong with society since many homophobes get to walk free even if they cause horrible things like suicide.

1. Paddyswurds 15 Jul 2012, 1:26pm

Proving that homophobia or indeed any actions by second or third party actions leads to suicide is difficult if not impossible because we don’t have the corroboration of the victim and so we have no way of knowing whether or not that was the reason for his/her suicide…unless he or she left a note that is. Even then I am not sure such a note would be admissible in court.

2. Spanner1960 15 Jul 2012, 6:32pm

The point ism, these three were known felons, and personal assault is taken seriously. The Clementi incident was an indirect result of something that was not viewed as anything either malicious or homophobic.

Personally, i think this whole ‘hate crime’ thing is a pointless waste of time and money. People should be sentenced for the crimes they commit, not their motives.

5. GingerlyColors 15 Jul 2012, 7:38pm

It took three of them to beat up one man. How brave of them! I hope that they serve every day of those five years.

6. Dennis Velco 15 Jul 2012, 8:04pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,500+ of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries. As well as the down stream in my LInkedIn personal connections that reach over 22 million potential live stream viewers on LinkedIn.

The group is strictly professional office friendly dialog, posting and profiles / profile images. I’ve been told by many that it may well be one of the best run / managed groups on LinkedIn.

You can be as out or private as you like and I provide instructions on how to set those preferences.

7. This is a lesson to all homophobes!
    5 years + 5 will send a strong message to all.
    Well done Alabama!!

8. Pack dog mentality at its worst. Good awareness by the judge to let them have five years to think about their pathetic and violent behavior.

9. OutMaturity 16 Jul 2012, 11:51pm

I agree, a HATE crime and this is certainly one without a doubt should see a harsher sentence than five years!

Put a “message” out there that HATE will not be tolerated, period!! Just saying…

10. I’m so glad that these cowardly thugs have been caught and jailed. When i saw that footage for the first time, it made me feel physically sick. It was not only appalling that three large muscular thugs carried out such a vicious and unprovoked attack on another human being who was tiny by comparison, but also, that passers-by just stood there and watched without trying to help Brandon.
    Apparently he wasn’t going to report this attack, but it was only because he saw the video posted on the internet, that he decided to go to the police.