Russian gay rights campaigners appeal to European court over Pride bans

1. Spanner1960 15 Jul 2012, 9:23am

Since when was Russia part of the EU, or did I miss something?

1. Countries that have signed up as member nations of the Council of Europe and are subject to its rulings:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Council_of_Europe_%28blue%29.svg

2. Bill (Scotland) 15 Jul 2012, 9:57am

The ECHR is NOT part of the EU. The European Courts of Justice, on the other hand, are a part of the EU system of treaties and are supposed to ensure compliance with EU treaty law. All Council of Europe members are party to the ECHR, although not all have ratified all parts of it – for example Russia has signed Protocol 6, but not ratified it. Protocol 6 is concerned with the death penalty (as amended by Protocol 11).

3. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2012, 10:14am

Good luck to them. I do believe will be on their side of this issue but sadly the Russian government is intent on making Russia a homophobic state (more so) and doubt they will listen.

I do applaud these activists, they want human rights, a better society and are willing to go through the hatred and violence to get it. These are the brave souls people should look up too. Let’s hope meany Russian’s do see this.

1. Jock S. Trap 15 Jul 2012, 10:14am

Sorry many Russians….

4. Good luck to them, they will certainly need it.

5. GingerlyColors 15 Jul 2012, 7:33pm

Hopefully the ECHR will rule in favour of lifting the ban on gay pride marches in St. Petersburg. The problems are: Will Russia abide by the ruling? Are they prepared to police the marches? And ultimately will an ECHR ruling change social attitudes towards gays. Unfortunately homophobic thoughts cannot be banished through a court ruling but by presenting gays in a positive light then peoples’ attitudes will change as they have done here. You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

6. Dennis Velco 15 Jul 2012, 8:05pm

Thanks for this article and your reporting.  What you do is appreciated.

I posted it to my LGBT Group on LinkedIn to spur members to read your article and to make comment. I also scooped it at Scoop.It on my LGBT Times news mashup.

Link to group >> http://www.linkedin.com/groups/LGBT-Gay-GLBT-Professional-Network-63687/about

All LGBT+ and community allies…. please come join me and 14,500+ of your soon to be great friends on LinkedIn. The member base represents 80% of the world’s countries. As well as the down stream in my LInkedIn personal connections that reach over 22 million potential live stream viewers on LinkedIn.

The group is strictly professional office friendly dialog, posting and profiles / profile images. I’ve been told by many that it may well be one of the best run / managed groups on LinkedIn.

You can be as out or private as you like and I provide instructions on how to set those preferences.

7. What a ghastly piece of sh#t you are, you are welcome to go there, personally i would not go there if you paid me. it is a long time since i have read such vile comments on here. lets hope one of your kids doesn’t turn out to be gay, you are not fit to be a parent.

8. Rachel Haytread 16 Jul 2012, 11:14pm

You are tiresome. Go away.