Toronto unveils rainbow cabs to woo gay Londoners for WorldPride 2014

1. GingerlyColors 9 Jul 2012, 12:51pm

Canada is perhaps the most progressive country in the Americas when it comes to gay rights with some South American countries fast playing catch-up. The Canadians can teach a lesson or two to some of those states south of the 49th Parallel about tolerance.

1. Spanner1960 9 Jul 2012, 7:32pm

I agree. Just a shame they hadn’t made it Vancouver instead of Toronto, it’s a way better city, with a much better gay scene.

2. No doubt their organisers will have no trouble with funding etc and will have a great World Pride. London really needs to hang it’s head in shame for the farce that occurred here just days before the event!

1. Actually, funding could be a problem in Torono too. The current mayor has never attended a gay pride event. The federal government, which is Conseravtive and has a majority, stopped funding all gay pride events in Canada, disregarding their tourism draw.

1. jamestoronto 9 Jul 2012, 2:39pm

And yet Toronto Pride continues successfully every year without the funding.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 9 Jul 2012, 4:27pm

Absolutely agree with that James! I’ve had the pleasure to attend two Toronto Prides and I have to say, Canadians do a far better job of it than we do and as you say, without the funding. I think Toronto’s is arguably the best in the world, far better organised than the one in New York but even there it’s better than London’s. Maybe our Toronto brothers and sisters could organise our own and show London how it’s done?

3. I’ve attended one Toronto Pride and I have to say, it is by far superior to any that London has put on, as well as New York’s.

Maybe London should have Toronto or New York organisers take charge, they could learn a lot after this fiasco.

4. I bet Worldpride are relieved at the handover.

5. Handing over the mantle?

Handing over a moth eaten rag.

1. Capedcruisader 9 Jul 2012, 3:34pm

Well its not the first time the löndon gay community have been taken 4 a ride ! Lol or two

6. CapedCrusaider 9 Jul 2012, 3:40pm

Well its not the first time the london gay community has bn taken 4 a ride ! Or three lol :-)

7. I think London should let the Toronto Pride people organise ours. I’ve attended one Toronto Parade and it far surpasses anything we’ve done.

8. “Where to guv’nor”

“Toronto”

“South of the river is it?”

9. Robert Brown 9 Jul 2012, 4:27pm

Don’t forget it’s Marseille, France in 2013 . . .

10. jonnielondon 9 Jul 2012, 6:59pm

Toronto’s Pride was a complete success this year with over 1.2 Million attendees….and what a party it was. Wooo Hooo!

11. Spanner1960 9 Jul 2012, 7:33pm

Toronto?
    I thought that was the Lone Ranger’s sidekick.

1. jamestoronto 10 Jul 2012, 4:12am

That’s an old one.

1. Spanner1960 11 Jul 2012, 12:03am

Yeah, I know.
        But then, you must be pretty old yourself to know who the Lone Ranger is in the first place. ;)

12. Michael Cramp 10 Jul 2012, 12:17am

Toronto will undoubtedly be an amazing host to World Pride 2014. We are an amazingly safe city, we are forward with gay rights and we have enough hotel rooms within 50 miles/80kms to host the multitudes that will attend. As a volunteer promoter of World Pride during Pride Toronto a couple of weeks ago I can assure you 3 million of your closest friends and relatives and ex lovers are gonna be here to celebrate, there is no doubt in my mind. Come join us, I promise, you will have a blast.

13. Transportmedia 19 Jul 2012, 4:54pm

We at Transportmedia would like to thank the Toronto Pride and Crispin Porter + Bogusky for allowing us to produce and take one of the most colorful and playful campaigns. The fact that the taxis have sparked discussions can only serve to further their cause.