Wimbledon: Fans hear ‘game points’ as gay slur in BBC coverage of Murray match

1. All I can say about the people who complained is ‘oh dear’

1. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 1:35pm

It looks unattractive for a person to have called it an “outrageous example of hate speech”. Even if he had said “gay point” it would have been misjudged rather than “hate”.

If everything that were stupid were to be redefined as “hate” then we would lose the distinctions between things which are genuinely hateful and those which are just misjudged and foolish.

2. He clearly said “game”. This is a non story PN. Daily Mailesk news coverage here.

3. Why is this even being made into a story if it is clearly not what he said. The header makes it sound like something it’s not. Idiotic viewers.

4. David Ferrer is Spanish, not French.

5. I don’t believe for a minute Andrew Castle is homophobic. People need to clean their ears out.

6. David Ferrer is a Spaniard, not a Frenchman.

7. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 12:37pm

Sorry, I’ve listened to it 3 times – it sounds like “gay” and not “game” to me.

If you haven’t listened to it, click on the link in the article. It VERY clear.

I have never heard of Andrew Castle before, so have no knowledge of him, but the recording was quite clear.

Clean your ears out if you thought he said “game” !

1. Nope, it’s quite clearly ‘game’ – there’s just a slight glottal stop (which might be caused by the recording) between ‘gay’ and ‘mhm’, but it’s definitely ‘game’.

Also, anyone who’s followed Castle’s media career over the years would know that, first, he’d be too professional to ever say something like that; and second, in his ‘talking head’ roles elsewhere, he’s not the sort of man who’d ever use gay as a slur.

Some people just want to hear an insult where none exists.

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:23pm

You’re entitled to your opinion, but that’s all it is, your opinion, and mine is simply my opinion.

He didn’t help himself by describing the first set of points as “manly” did he.

Like I said, I’ve never heard of him — I don’t follow tennis or whatever this is, I’m going on what was a) heard, and I think most people could easily hear “gay” or “gay … um”, and b) the initial part of the sentence providing a context which is unhelpful.

Anyway, I will give pinknews a miss for the next few months because I object to bullies who neg comments. If it’s an obvious troll or homophobe, fine, neg them, so their comments don’t show (if that’s the best work-around that PN can find for now). I give position ticks for good comments, and none for bad ones.

I have a score of -78 on ConservativeHome, where I have tried to put forward good arguments in favour of equal rights, this hasn’t put me off posting there, but on here, amongst mostly my own kind, negs feel like bullying :(

1. And calling people who strongly disagree with you “bullying” is insulting. Swings and roundabouts.

2. Gulliver

Why are you so upset on a story about a misheard comment?

Its a nothing story.

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 3:51pm

I’m not – I couldn’t care less. I gave my opinion about what I believed was said and suddenly got 6 NEGs, when only 2-3 people posted comments immediately after mine. So 3-4 people sat on their arses negging my comment without bothering to make their own rebuttal of what I had said. I don’t care less about the story – this place has become deeply judgemental — and I think that’s the last thing any of us lot need.

It seems you can’t make an innocent comment without somebody feeling like hitting the neg button.

I said the last time that if this keeps happening I would not post here — you lot can have the place all to yourselves. For all I know it could be a load of my fans from the Telegraph, but it’s not nice to see RED marks next to your name when you’ve done nothing wrong.

2. I understand how you feel about the negative ratings, Gulliver, and I once pointed this out on a thread where every comment I made was immediately rated down by someone within minutes – I think it was someone who I’d disagreed with on another thread the previous day.

I also agree with you when you say you’d rather people respond to your comment saying why they disagree rather than simply rating it down.

Most of my comments go about 2-3 points either side of 0 and tend to go up and down within that range as different people agree or disagree with them.

But I’ve also had comments which have received about 4 or 5 thumbs down or more and I just have to accept that sometimes people don’t agree with what I say, just as I accept the odd occasion when I get a lot of thumbs up ratings.

But I’ve never let it drive me off these threads. Everyone has a right to their own opinion even if expressing that opinion is just clicking the thumbs up or down buttons. I hope you’ll reconsider.

3. Paddyswurds 6 Jul 2012, 12:26pm

@Gulliver…
          …..get over your self for crying out loud. Bullying? Really?. You demean the word by asserting that just because people strongly disagree with you that that is somehow bullying. Frankly we won’t miss you when you “give pinknews (sic) a miss for the next few months” nor will we be sending you imploring messages to come back. Bullying indeed!

2. Psychotheologian 5 Jul 2012, 1:24pm

It’s not a case of imagining it, its called “priming” once it’s happened it pretty much impossible to change your perception. I once walked into a blazing row because I couldn’t hear the word “Moriarty” in the first series of “Sherlock”. It obviously had to be Moriarty, but I could not change my perception aft the initial error. Apart from the odd row it can be very serious expecially when combined with other human brain design faults such as confirmation bias.

2. I’ve also listened to it several times now, and it really does sound like ‘game’ to me.

3. No, its quite clearly game. The “m” is quietly enunciated but is still noticeably there.

Perhaps you should have a hearing test, GulliverUK ;-)

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:50pm

And you don’t think it could be “gay … m”, or “gay… um” ?

If you manage to reach my years and still have perfect eyesight and perfect vision you’ll be thanking your lucky genes.

It would simply have been nice to have a discussion without people behaving like they behave elsewhere on the net. I thought this was a welcoming place, but can quite clearly see from this, and the incident the other week, that some people are just drawn to put others down with respecting that some people have other views.

NEG away you lot. You’ll just be driving people away. If people don’t see the stupidity and wrongness of using NEGs against other points of view, then you lot will have to wallow on here by yourselves from now on. I’m outta here.

1. Sincerely, I really do not think it was gay-um … and I genuinely think you are clutching at straws with that comment.

For the record, I have not flagged you down – although (arguably understandbly) I do think some of your response to the negative thumbs is a little petulent.

It would be nice to have an adult debate about this.. Its a shame you are not staying around to help us debate this and understand your viewpoint.

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 2:20pm

I thought the NEG button was helpful to get rid of homophobes and trolls, like Godsword and so forth, but it seems you lot are now using it in a very lazy way, SIX NEGS on my original comment and when I looked there were only about 2-3 new comments (and yes I did refresh my browser), which makes 3-4 people sitting on their lazy arses going around pressing the NEG button without bothering to provide a valid reasoned post to counter mine.

Even worse, there is an F—ing leader board on the right-hand side showing those users who are in the top ten this week. Why not display those also in the lowest top 10? It’s not X-factor on here, I hope. People should be able to comment on something without every tom, dick or harry jumping on them.

There’s no evidence as to who NEGed me, and it might well be there are lots of unseen fans of mine from The Daily Telegraph, who’ve followed me here, to drive a wedge in. That place if full of trolls with multiple accounts.

2. Really Gulliver, I think you’re over-egging it on the thumbs down thing.

That’s the way it works.

There’s one poster on here, Carrie, who quite often says reasonable things, but she writes in caps and doesn’t make a lot of sense without a lot of heavy-duty unpicking. She gets lots of negs. Another poster, Lumi Blast, tends to get lots negs because she’s so openly, revolting transphobic. Whinging tends to get the same response.

Each discussion forum tends to grow its own culture over time and this is ‘how things are done around here’. Accusing people of laziness for giving you a thumbs down is a bit much too. Some people are less comfortable seeing their words there in all there permanence (even if they can so it anonymously). Others thrive in online environments. Some love it because they can troll.

However, thumbs up/down are used to rate comments all over the web. If people disagree and give you thumbs down, that’s just part of life!

3. Gulliver

Who do you mean by YOU LOT?

I have certainly not marked you down.

The top ten posters has been on PN since well before I first joined a few years back.

I think you are feeling under attack (perhaps understandably) but you need to take a deep breath, calm down, and move on.

4. Gulliver, I think you’re obsessing unnecessarily about thumb-downs. We all get them at some point or another. Don’t take it so much to heart.

8. oh jeez!
    I do hope we aren’t going to be hearing “gay slurs” everywhere now!!

and in case that isn’t quite clear I mean I hope we aren’t going to turn into oversensitive “you abused my rights” kind of people who everyone will hate even more than our sexuality.

this is a non story!
    someone said something that sounded anti-gay but it turnsout someone just misheard!!

9. Whatever the truth about gay or game, I think the term “manly points” was perhaps rather sexist

1. It was definitely game.

As for manly points – I think he was trying to suggest that there had been a lot of physical effort and strength in those points – it was a sloppy use of language to describe it – but I doubt he intended to be pejorative.

1. If hed said “manly” points in a game involving serena williams possibly…

2. maybe there was a lot of manly grunting going on…

10. I agree with D.McCabe, Sal and John-Paul. He did say “game” not “gay” and let’s not turn into a paranoid bunch looking for anything that sounds remotely anti gay…there’s enough real anti gay rot out there to keep us going for centuries!!!!!! GulliverUK… sorry mate but I think you need to stock up on cotton buds!!!!!

11. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Jul 2012, 1:09pm

And what exactly would be Castle’s explanation for “manly points”, as opposed to what? Whether he said “game” or “gay” doesn’t make his comment any less sexist or homophobic. Why did he need to say “manly” I wonder? Does he say “feminine points” when women play? No, he doesn’t and wouldn’t.

You can bet those fans who contacted the BBC will be met with a usual lame excuse and denial from Castle as well as his employer. What can one expect from a conservative corporation headed by an anti-gay, anti-equal marriage catholic?

1. Think you’re talking about the bloke who used to be in charge of the BBC. The new one doesn’t seem to be a catholic, but I have no idea whether he’s pro or anti marriage equality.

2. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 1:32pm

Your obsession with insulting Catholics is bordering on hate.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Jul 2012, 1:54pm

The day the Papenfuehrer and his cult stop insulting gay people at every provocation and calling equal marriage ‘grotesque’ according to Cardinal O’Brien of Scotland, then I’ll stop returning insults. By the way, you know NOTHING about me and don’t assume that I obsess. I’m quite aware there are some catholics as well as anglicans and others who support equal marriage but the roman and anglican cults do not, in fact they make spurious, mendacious comments about equal marriage and gay people and believe in denying us our full equality as human beings.

1. Robert

With respect, and I usually agree with you – and I am certainly not pro-Catholic (as you and de Villiers will be both be aware of from opposite viewpoints) – your language is sounding very much like that of dAVID and far from your circumspect and fair (in my view) language.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Jul 2012, 3:06pm

I apologise if I offended anyone, but what galls me is that few catholic commenters in here if any seldom condemn the catholic hierarchy. Apologists such as de Villiers implied that I was villifying all catholics to the point of obsession. The catholic hierarchy do deserve our scorn and resentment because everything they say is untrue, dishonest and offensive in regard to our quest for full equal marriage. Ditto the majority of the Anglican hierarchy, Orthodox Judaism and of course, Islam. I might perhaps have more respect for all of them if they were able to provide the evidence to substantiate their specious often offensive claims which do nothing more than promote hatred and homophobia.

2. Now I entirely agree with you Robert

;-)

3. Robert, feel free to criticise away, you don’t offend me.

And while all Catholics happily attend mass and don’t challenge the church,despite the gay-friendly views of most Catholics which we’re constantly being told about, then they deserve that ciritism.

I’m a former Catholic who doesn’t hold back from criticising the Catholic Church or that horrible old bigot O’Brien – who I once served as an altar boy when he visited my Church! (I know that’s begging for a joke, but let’s try to be serious!)

But as I say, I’m a former Catholic not a practising one. I certainly no longer think of myself as a Catholic. I stopped going to mass as a teenager but still thought of myself as a Catholic and in my early 20′s, I realised I had to make a choice between being gay and being catholic as I couldn’t be both – it was no contest.

Since then, I’ve gradually become an athiest so wouldn’t even go back if they canonised Judy Garland and the Pope himself came out as a raging old queen!

4. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 4:55pm

> What can one expect from a conservative corporation headed by an anti-gay, anti-equal marriage catholic?

That was your post. You were not attacking the Pope or the Vatican, with which I have agreed openly on this board. You were attacking a person because he was Catholic. The same way people attack people because they are Jews or because they are gay. And that has started to become your routine.

5. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 4:56pm

And to describe a European whose country was invaded by Germans, and who is gay and would have been deported, as an “apologist” is similarly misjudged.

A person is not an apologist because they do not agree with your lordly denunciations.

2. Paddyswurds 6 Jul 2012, 12:37pm

@de Villiers…
        …All religious people whether catholic or whatever insult themselves and their Intellect by believing in such shyte, so it is a bit rich to accuse others of insulting catholic cultists. If people want to believe in sky fairies and be dictated to by ex naz1s and support clerical child abuse,15 they should expect to be ridiculed……

1. de Villiers 6 Jul 2012, 1:33pm

Not very insightful.

1. Paddyswurds 6 Jul 2012, 4:27pm

Yea, like there is so much insight in religious belief…….

2. Paddyswurds 6 Jul 2012, 4:29pm

…and btw, I speak from experience of being raised in the evil Abrahamic cult that is the RCC

3. i’m sure no one needs an english lesson, especially from a yank but the dictionary definition given for manly other than virile and masculine, also includes vigorous, strong, brave, and courageous. i haven’t watched the play leading up to castle’s patter so i can’t really say which of those six adjectives he meant. however, isn’t this a bit of a tempest in a pot of tea? as far as i can see, the lgbt community has a lot more pressing matters to be concerned with.

1. Gemma Gillon 5 Jul 2012, 6:02pm

” as far as i can see, the lgbt community has a lot more pressing matters to be concerned with. ”

Well said.

12. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:10pm

It’s not a question of hearing gay slurs everywhere. Perhaps he mispronounced — although it was clearly “gay”, or perhaps he had something on his mind which slipped out. Frankly, who cares.

The sensible thing is to acknowledge what was heard — never mind he or anyone else says they meant to say, it only gets worse by pretending he didn’t say it and telling everybody else they’re stupid and misheard it — it was absolutely clear to me. He should simply apologise that that’s the end of it.

If presenters don’t know how to talk property they should be made to go on a week-long course with the BBC Pronunciation Unit (if it still exists!) — that should be punishment enough :)

And instead of negging people on here, try to be somewhat more constructive and provide a valid counter to the post. If the criticism is valid and well-reasoned it’ll get loads of +’s

Bullying from society in general is bad enough – we don’t need it spreading on here.

1. Oh come on, GullibleUK – you clearly know nothing of Andrew Castle and are looking for problems where none exist.

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:27pm

I simply told you what I heard, and since when has anyone given you the right to deliberately bully others by changing their username to a slur.

It is precisely because I do NOT know Andrew Castle that I can say what I heard, and wonder about the context, i.e. his “manly” comment, but I have no idea whether he is gay-friendly or anti-gay, and I never said either way.

I’ll leave you lot to you and come back when there is a bit more respect for the views of others, and proper debate not slanging matches.

1. I’d like to know if GulliverUK heard it as “gay” before or after he was told it sounded like “gay”. I’m going to guess it was after, but I suppose we’ll never know now.

2. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:44pm

“G*”

Some people might be includes to hear it as one thing, some another. I only listened because I was curious. It seems clear on the first go, so I did it twice more, after turning up the volume further. I had no preconceived idea about who was right, and like I said, I’ve don’t even know the name. I see he is or was some sort of ITV Daytime presented, and whilst I now recognise the face, I don’t watch ITV Daytime, ever. I have no knowledge of him, or of him making any previous such statements, thus I’m going on the recording.

1. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 1:33pm

Gulliver – you have to take it as it comes. I often receive attack on the basis of being both on the right and Catholic. If you post on the internet you have to expect that those who disagree with you might do so in an unmannered way.

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:41pm

If PinkNews want these pages to be seen as homophobic or unwelcoming as The Telegraph or Daily Mail comments section … so be it. I will find someone else.

What I don’t expect is people who are gay (assuming most who have commented so far are) to be ragging on other people who are gay by using the NEG button. I’m sorry but it’s a stupid system, because it sometimes makes marginalised people feel more marginalised. All I said was I thought it sounded quite clearly to be “gay”, and suddenly get a whole load of people negging my posts. Clearly, a culture has developed on here which means you can’t debate and come to a “reasoned” view, instead the lazy people use the NEG button to show disapproval. That stinks. :(

2. Think you’re being a tad over-sensitive….

3. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 4:58pm

I agree – but you cannot complain if you put yourself online. Look at the debate with Robert above – he called me an “apologist”, with all that implies.

4. de Villiers

To be fair – you often are an apologsit for the RC church.

5. de Villiers 5 Jul 2012, 8:32pm

I put the view of Catholics rather than the Vatican. Gay people are all for expression of identity as long admit conforms to theirs – just another straitjacket. The world is more complex.

6. de Villiers

The problem with saying that ordinary Catholics (and I used to be one) are generally speaking gay-friendly and hold different views to the Vatican is that while they attend mass and don’t challenge the church on it’s views, the church will go on holding those views.

What’s the point of saying the Pope is wrong when you give him every reason to think he’s right?

If all these Catholics stood up en masse and told the church it was wrong then maybe we’d get somewhere. But they keep quiet and go to mass as usual. I couldn’t keep doing that, I stopped practising.

7. de Villiers 6 Jul 2012, 12:39am

Bennie M, what you say is not untrue and is felt by many of people. However, the action that you encourage has nothing to hold – the suggestion “to stand up en masse” is metaphorical rather than concrete. To “challenge the church” again does not indicate what to do.

The only option would be to leave the church – which would in this way would remain the conservatives.

Most Catholics do not follow everything that the Pope says – or even most of what he says. However, the process of making liberal the Church can pass itself only when there are liberal people who form part of it.

8. de Villiers 6 Jul 2012, 12:40am

I regret that I am tired and my English is deteriorating.

9. de villiers

So are you suggesting that liberal Catholics who believe in gay equality should simply stay quiet and carry on going to mass? That will only let the church think it’s views are right.

Liberal Catholics have a duty to do what they can to change the views of the church. By doing nothing they are condoning the views of the church.

2. I’ve listened to it.He said “game”. As in the tennis term “Game point”. End of.

3. If presenters do not know how to talk properly?

I presume you are joking, a little?

I thought we lived in a more enlightened time whereby there was more than one acceptable accent and therefore different enunciations. intonation and even language use was encouraged?

13. What an absolute joke some people are. They should lock themselves away in a dark room. It offends me how some people are so precious they get offended so easily. He quite clearly said game anyway, people need to wash their ears out.

14. Matt Bean 5 Jul 2012, 1:18pm

That is such a cool example of a psychological phenomenon called “priming”. People don’t know they are doing it and often deny it anyway so it’s brilliant to see outside of the lab complete with papertrail!

15. Suddenly Last Bummer 5 Jul 2012, 1:19pm

Twitter + boredom = idiocy.

16. Dangermouse 5 Jul 2012, 1:21pm

Deff game. For goodness sake please, lets not imagine homophobia, there is enough of the real thing to go around.

17. Good grief.
    I’ve listened to the commentary a couple of times and I quite clearly hear ‘game’. I’m going to put the nicest construction on this and suggest that all those who can only hear ‘gay’ are fine and strapping youngsters who have wrecked the lower register of their hearing by standing too near the speakers at raves (doubtless stripped to the waist to disclose their Adonis-like physiques).
    As for Castle’s use of ‘manly’, perhaps he was using lightly humorous hyperbole or perhaps he’s – in reality – a post-feminist using his commentary to make an ironic point about structural patriachy in the organisation of British sporting events.
    But basically… good grief!

1. Yup, for sure he’s a post-feminist…. he’ll be spearheading the campaign to equalise prize money next :D

1. Wimbledon has had equal prize money in Singles since 2007. Most other tournaments around the world have also equalised prizes.

But I think you knew that!

1. If I did, I must have forgotten! I read something the other day about ongoing campaign for equity in prize money, but having just read a bit more all four grand slams offer equal prize money…. *pushes soap box back under table and hangs head shamefully…*

1. Very obviously “game”. Anybody with a slightest knowledge of tennis can hear it as “game”; only those with no knowledge of tennis or a congenital predisposition to quasi-offence could run the risk of mishearing it. Some people just want a reason to whinge and play the Victim Card.

1. “congenital predisposition to quasi-offence” – you summed it up. And I’m very sure that gay men can also be “manly”… :-)

2. Brilliant ROFLMAO

18. How embarrassingly paranoid of those people who complained.

19. what are manly points?

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 1:54pm

Apparently it’s represented here by most of the other posters giving me NEGative points.

How very manly of them. How very brave. And what a bunch of bullies.

Now watch as I rack up my ultimate score of NEGs on THIS post.

Go on, you lot, NEG it …………………. —————–>>>>>>>>

1. I think you need to build a bridge.

And get over it.

I gave you a thumbs up for your above post by the way.

You are clearly sensitive about these ratings. And you shouldn’t be.

I regularly get voted down which is always a good sign (have a look at the comments on the ‘Nick Clegg supports cult marriage story’)

1. I also get voted up and down in equal measure.

I think dAVID and I will often support each other and disagree with each other with fairly equal vehemence.

When I support someone – then I will often thumb up. If I disagree then I may flag down, may comment or neither.

I agree with dAVID here, Gulliver, I think you are being a little over sensitive and need to get over this one.

2. Gulliver, you will always get people who will give your comments a negative, this is called a discussion and people will not always agree with what you have to say and that is their way of showing so without actually having to write a written reasoning.

I watched the game and certainly did not hear him say gay and to be honest if he did I really would not have given a fiddlers fart about it! I am comfortable enough with myself not to take offence whenever someone uses the term gay in a derogatory way. I would not have liked him using it in that way as it encourages others to do so but that is a battle that will continue to rage long after I have left this world!

20. Some people clearly need to have a hearing test!

21. Describing a point as “manly” was a little sexist, and was poor commentary (what is a “manly” point, for heaven’s sake?).

But Andrew Castle definitely said “game”.

Mr Castle is an astute and attentive observer of the women’s game as well as the men’s, and not someone who systematically makes sexist remarks. And his commentating isn’t too bad, although there is some empty verbiage.

If the twitterati had told him to avoid sexist cliches and to enunciate more clearly that would have been fair enough. Anything else is unwarranted and mean.

To those saying “I heard gay”. Fine. You can hear whatever you want. But you’re still wrong about what Mr Castle said, as everyone has explained. Now would be good moment to sit down quietly.

22. I much prefer the ‘You little bastard’ quote (misheard). Just made me chuckle out loud in work!

23. This sounds like your basic mondegreen to me – a phrase which sounds the same as another phrase with an entirely different meaning.
    Jimi Hendrix inadvertently outed himself with one of those in “Purple Haze”
    “Scuse me while I kiss the sky” sounds a whole lot like “Scuse me while I kiss this guy”

24. Total non story, whoever reported this should be ashamed.

Reading the above posts all I can say is

GULLIBLEUK= HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME SOME PATHETIC POSTS. YOU GIVE THE GAY COMMUNITY A BAD NAME

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 2:24pm

Brido,
      typically lazy comment. Which BITS don’t you agree with? My debate over whether he said “gay” or “game”, or my discussion over the scoring system for posts.

You just seem like a bully with that post. You’ve also deliberately misspelt my screen name, which shows your level of immaturity and that you will quite happily resort to playground bullying.

1. Just to support GulliverUK here, although I am not a member of the Daily Telegraph forums, I read them regularly and can state with no equivocation that Gulliver is ANYTHING BUT an embarrassment to the gay population. He’s a fast-witted, intelligent and an amazing researcher who usually takes on the incredibly obnoxious trolls there with tremendous fortitude.
        Although I think he’s being overly sensitive here about the negative points he’s received (and I disagree with him in his argument), his bad name is worth a lot more than some people’s very best name.

2. Brido had a go at me once on a thread a few weeks back when I complained about my comments being thumbed down. She/He claimed she/he was trying to help me by being offensive! She/He said I was hijacking the thread while all she/he did was add to the continuing “carry on” about thumbs down.

2. I agree it is a non-story

On the subject matter I do believe he said game not gay – but its hardly the story of the century or have that much significance.

As for Gulliver giving the gay community a bad name (shouted) – really? Ok, I strongly disagree with his opinion about what was said. I think he is being highly sensitive in his reaction to negative thumbs – but I’m not sure I can see where he is setting a bad example.

25. Charlie-o 5 Jul 2012, 3:12pm

David Ferrer is Spanish – not French. But if what you’re reporting is a non-story, I guess there’s no point in trying for accuracy.

26. I heard the word game, but I can hear how people may have heard gay, the letter ‘m’ comes in a bit late.

27. Definitely sounds like “game” to me. But I don’t get the “manly” points bit at all. That’s nonsensical. Could a man playing in a tennis competition NOT score “manly” points then??

28. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 3:45pm

Comment ratings were introduced around mid 2011. If you look at most articles before then you’ll find all the ratings are zero, here’s an example;
    That’s from July 2011.

Most other comment sites have LIKE buttons, but no dislike one. Giving people dislike discourages people to post replies.

It is hardly a debate site if they debate by pressing a voting button — that’s not discussion or debate, that’s X-factor.

People say you can have and express your own opinion, but clearly you must expect to get negged to hell for saying you heard something different, without any discussion. I object to that, I think it’s a form of bullying (and I think Tim Field would agree with me), in that it belittles and derides perfectly reasonable opinions for no obvious reason.

The rating system was introduced to deal with homophobic posters on here – to allow us to neg them sufficiently so that their comments did not show, not to abuse others.

1. Staircase2 5 Jul 2012, 3:54pm

lol although of course the voting system actually tends to play right into the hands of the more reactionary elements on here more than it does deal with homophobic posts (which is always the way with civil liberties too if you think about it…Most totalitarian states start out by offering to ‘protect’ people against fear and undesirables and then ends up actually controlling the very people they’re supposed to be ‘protecting’ from ‘harm’…

2. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 3:58pm

btw, I’ve booked in to get my ear checked — on the advice of people here !

If there is nothing wrong with them I’m gonna send PinkNews the bill :-P

1. lol

Some reputable places do free checks!

3. The ratings system also allows people to either like or dislike what you have written. That in itself does not constitute bullying. I can like or dislike your comments without having to add to them. So, if I dislike a comment and give it a thumbs down, does that make me a bully?

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 4:07pm

Well, in the news is a report saying tons of young gay people are getting bullied, and I’m sure we have our own grown-up stories about bullying also. Saying gay people are being “over-sensitive” can be insulting (although I’d agree that anyone who wants to call him saying — what sounded to me like (disclaimer) — “gay” is a hate crime is somewhat over-egging it, by about a mile). People who have been repeatedly bullied can develop hypervigilance (whether straight or gay), and there is a particularly nasty form of bullying behaviour called “mobbing”, where loads of people pile in against one person.

We should always be one million light years from any such behaviour. I remember distinctly that it was brought in because some exceptionally offensive remarks were left on here, and we all pressed the report button, and nothing happened. It was only the next day that Benjamin Cohen came on and said they had reported it to the police and were implementing some system to deal with it.

1. Well, if anything I have learnt what ‘mobbing’ is, I had never heard of it before. I agree that it does happen on here and I have also been a victim of this. People will always do it. I think they think of it as a safety in numbers kind of thing, similar to if you were bullied at school by a group, no one would dare do it to you on their own

As for the story at hand, ‘gay’ or ‘game’ I think all of us on here will have to agree to disagree on what we heard, It’s going to be one that divides everyone.

P.S let me know if PN reimburses you for yourhearing test ;-) LOL

29. Staircase2 5 Jul 2012, 3:51pm

lol – just listened to it and it really does sound like ‘gay points’ lol

Although its pretty clear from the tone of the way he’s saying it that it can’t be…

Interesting how Gulliver was voted down simply for saying that it does – he’s right – have a listen before you post comment (or vote!)

1. I did relisten several times before commenting and I did not vote on Gullivers comments.

It is clearly game that he says – although the m in enunciated very quietly.

30. I’m not discussing this bollocks

1. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 4:16pm

I’ve given you a + because, in hindsight, neither should I :)

I wish you had posted that about 4 hours ago !

2. Spanner1960 6 Jul 2012, 8:31pm

New balls please.

3. Cock and ball?

31. Thats not cricket!

32. Imagine the commentary if plumbing was an international sport.lol

33. Paddyswurds 5 Jul 2012, 4:29pm

Ffs, some of these queens shouldn’t be so precious; they need to get a life and not be always looking for something to whinge about. The man clearly said Game Points. ….sheesh!

1. It isn’t often I agree with you Paddy, but now’s the time!

34. If they want to be called ‘Gay’ ( light-hearted and carefree) they should chill out!

35. Omar Kuddus 5 Jul 2012, 4:55pm

People who THINK comment in last night’s Wimbledon quarter-final between Andy Murray and David Ferrer was anti-gay, either have very little going on in their lives or are being just a tad too sensitive and PC.

I personally don’t think that the prompted complaints to the BBC from fans was justified as it seems that these days we are too quick to point a finger of wrongdoing, to trivial matters whereas the big picture and issues that are important to the LGBTQ population are ignored.

36. Gemma Gillon 5 Jul 2012, 5:52pm

Hear we have many people complain about some word they thought they heard and the LGBT pick up on it abd run with it, yet pride is being deflated by government, LGBT scandel and gay people are stil lfacign epidemic levels of abuse in schools.

37. Gemma Gillon 5 Jul 2012, 5:54pm

3 big manly gay points with moisture in the air as the men shout and smack balls ;) If it was like that I wanna know when its next on so I can tune in :D

38. freudian slip or selective hearing?

39. Alright, this is non-news. Why did people complain about something that was at worst a verbal stumble.

40. floridahank 5 Jul 2012, 9:54pm

Tennis points come fast at times, and an announcer might say something at the spur of the moment –nothing seriously intended as insulting. I’m sure I’ve said some stupid things playing, but they’re in the heat of game….so don’t blow it out of proportion.

1. Not often I agree with you, Hank – but a relatively sensible view.

Of course, it depends what is said – other things said in the heat of the moment (particularly if there is no doubt in what is said) might be viewed more seriously and concerningly

41. Well, I listened to it several times and IMHO it’s definitely ‘Game Points’. Try refreshing this link a few times and I think you’ll agree.

Admittedly, the ‘M’ is much softer and easily missed, but it’s there if you listen carefully enough.

Gulliver, you really need to relax a bit. You can’t fight every battle to the death, you have to choose which ones are ‘Red Line’ issues, and no-one should lose any sleep on a few downvotes. It’s really not bullying.

And in the nicest possible way, I’ll paraphrase a well know quotation: Some people don’t always share your views. Get over it !

Finally, here’s a free hearing test for anyone that has any concerns. It’s quick and quite interesting. Don’t worry if it seems a bit hard to understand some of the numbers, just persevere to the end.

42. Mike Pennell 6 Jul 2012, 12:10am

Andrew Castle is using a proper tennis expression for that point in the game. If the player wins the next point he wins the game. We also have set points, match points and championship points at similar but later occasions in the match.

43. I presume those who rushed to Twitter to air their disgust have no real clue as to the game (no pun intended) of tennis. In all fairness. These idiots give all gays a bad name.

44. postopgirl 6 Jul 2012, 8:16am

Andrew Castle didn’t say a couple of “gay points”, he said a couple of “game points” as Ferrer was 40-15 in the game. In Tennis, the commentary is often delivered quite quick because of the fast pace the sport is played at, so occassionally some words can be misinterpreted, this is true in this case.

45. Kevin Jones 6 Jul 2012, 11:34am

I find this article a bit pointless to be frank though wouldn’t surprise me at all to find Andrew Castle saying such things. He went on TV a few years back to specifically object against Gay History Month…you know of any other key BBC commentator that would have made such an effort? The guy’s a t***.

46. Spanner1960 6 Jul 2012, 8:30pm

Oh FFS.

Some people really need to get a life and stop twitching behind the curtains.

47. Haha – listened to it myself with my earphones in and he definitely, irrefutably said game. You can hear the enunciation of the “M,” though it is very minimalistic.

48. So a slip of the ” Tongue” get over it and move on, It is ‘US’ that cause more harm than good when we waiste what time we have on petty things like this, just like I have

49. concerned 8 Jul 2012, 4:48pm

please tell me this is not for real. bloody hell.