Shadow home secretary meets with liberal faith groups on equal marriage

1. Robert Brown 4 Jul 2012, 5:12pm

Why were representatives from SGI-UK not invited?

1. Excuse my ignorance – who?

1. New Aussie 5 Jul 2012, 1:55pm

The Buddhists. I’m not sure whether they were excluded but I haven’t heard them speaking up in favour of same sex marriage like the others. They could have admittedly, I just haven’t heard them

1. Intrigued as to how the pneumonic or abbreviation SGI-UK is Buddhist now … lol

Would be good to see/hear more from them, if they are supportive

2. Good to see attempts being made to find a way to ensure that those religious grousp that wish to marry same sex couples can exercise their religious freedom

1. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2012, 5:28pm

Indeed.

I would like to know why the religious extremist seems to want to deny those more progressive religions their ‘religious freedoms’ to perform marriage equally!

3. Jock S. Trap 4 Jul 2012, 5:27pm

Well done Ms Cooper.

It may be important in order for some religious to know they won’t be obliqued to perform same sex marriage but religious freedom and democracy must hear from those faiths who openly wish to include and progress marriage. There also must be clauses that allow such groups the change to act and celebrate marriage equality without the religious bigot’s interference.

4. Robert in S. Kensington 4 Jul 2012, 8:47pm

Well done, Yvette! The coalition government just doesn’t get it. No religious denomination should be denied their right to freedom of belief to recognise and partake in same-sex marriages. What gives the major denominations the right to speak for others who are in opposition to them? Everyone should enjoy freedom of and from religion and it shouldn’t have anything to do with two people marrying or anything else. This is a purely civil issue, nothing more. It doesn’t affect anyone else, only gay people. Why is it they refuse to accept that?

5. I genuinely don’t understand why ANY cult group is asked to offer their opinion on equal civil marriage.

it has nothing to do with them.

Surely legislation for equal civil marriage (with a clause allowing cults to opt in or out of performing same sex weddings) is all that is required.

Consulting with the more progressive cults will be used by the more disgusting cults to try to impose their sickening bigotry on equal marriage laws.

1. Yvette Cooper is trying to seek equal religious marriage – that would have something to do with the religious freedom of LGBT supporting religious organisations.

1. Religious marriage means nothing legally unless the civil register is signed,

Civil marriage has nothing to do with religious cults irrespective of whether the cults are progressive or not.

1. Well, I for one agree with Yvette Cooper.

I want equal civil marriage.

I also want freedom of religion for those organisations who wish to hold same sex marriage ceremonies.

This might not matter to you – but the point of freedoms and civil rights is not about whether you choose to exercise them or whether they matter to you – its that they are available.

You might prefer to restrict religious freedom – I would find that as heinous as denying civil rights.

6. With the Prime Minister’s intention of finally incorporating equal marriage, I see the country becoming a beacon of hope to LGBT individuals all over the globe for the end of the oppression, discrimination, inequality and downright hatred that is being experienced.
    I do not think David Cameron fully understands the magnitude of good that will come about from the introduction of this simple bill.
    So, I thank him.

7. The utter hypocrisy of the Church of England screaming about religious freedom while screaming even louder that denominations wishing to solmenize same-gendered marrriages should have their freedom overruled. For the Church of England, freedom means the right to impose their offical doctrine on other faiths.

8. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 11:44am

I see that the Jewish Chronicle has just published a letter saying it was wrong of Lord Sachs to denounce equal marriage, with a whole host of signatories.

9. GulliverUK 5 Jul 2012, 11:47am

Ah, I should have given the other link also, which gives more detail.

10. Um I think you’lll find Giles Fraser used to be Canon at St Paul’s (if he had been the former Dean, it would’ve saved them heaps of embarrasment over Occupy).

11. why were churches like the Open Episcopal Church, Libral Catholic church MCC not invited??